Old 12-17-2016, 02:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hocus Pocus View Post
He & his brothers are now also enjoying success in the restaurant industry, operating Wahlburgers.
I've been to a Wahlburgers. Meh.
Advertisements  
Old 12-17-2016, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hocus Pocus View Post
I don't think Doritos would be around today if it weren't for Avery Schrieber.
Surprisingly, he was only on 12 episodes of "My Mother the Car" as Captain Manczini, who was constantly trying to buy the 1928 Porter and mispronouncing Dave Crabtree's name
Old 12-17-2016, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim's Son View Post
Surprisingly, he was only on 12 episodes of "My Mother the Car" as Captain Manczini, who was constantly trying to buy the 1928 Porter and mispronouncing Dave Crabtree's name
So he was in 40% of the episodes.
Old 12-18-2016, 08:02 PM

Patricia Hearst
-She ended up marrying a bodyguard and quietly raised two daughters. One being a haute couture model Lydia Hearst who is now married to Chris Hardwick who now hosts Talking Dead on AMC amongst founding Nerdist.com and hosting game shows.

If anyone didn't know, Rick Moranis went into near retirement after the death of his wife as he was raising their young children on his own.

One random kid star well the one who played Cousin Oliver on Brady Bunch I mentioned about looking up a cartoon I watched as a little frond, Kidd Video and didn't connect that the Whizkid there was the same actor ten years later. Robbie Rist ended up doing lotsa voiceover work and doing music for projects such as, Sharknado.

I watched the end of As the World Turns in 2010, and noticed most of the cast is largely unemployed sadly. One of their biggest stars was Jennifer Landon, (daughter of Michael) who won 3 Emmys for her role there. She somehow had not landed any big tv/film roles, but not a total loss as she did inherit 10 million dollars from late father's will. She was ten when he passed.
Old 12-18-2016, 08:04 PM

Cybill Shepherd
Old 12-18-2016, 08:11 PM

Daryl Hannah

I wonder if this thread wouldn't be better the other way around; would it be easier to list celebrities from 30 years ago who haven't disappeared from the public eye? Somebody get a 1986 TV Guide, the one with the preview of all the new fall shows, and see how many actors and actresses from it are still recognizable names.

And if we're allowed to nominated things that used to be famous:

TV Guide
New fall shows
Old 12-18-2016, 08:38 PM

Mike Tyson---actually also does voiceover work for Adult Swim 's Mike Tyson Mysteries, a sendup of Scooby Doo.

So watching Sunday Night Football, randomly aired INXS's New Sensation music. Whoa. I know Michael Hutchence died, but their appeal had been waning with the rise of Alternative rock. Then I thought about his Ex Helena Christensen, and the short careers of supermodels, with most of them retiring or semi-retiring once they start having children, or when they reached their thirties.
I see Gigi Hadid all over the covers/online, and once upon a time a starlet named Bridget Hall had that many deals and covers and press. After modeling and dating celebs, she quietly retired to the Hamptons.
Old 12-19-2016, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robot Arm View Post
Daryl Hannah
She had special billing in Netflix's Sens8 a couple of years ago in a limited but recurring role. When I saw her name on the credits I was like, wow, hadn't thought of her in ages...
Old 12-19-2016, 12:05 PM

A twenty-something local TV news reporter completely mangled the pronunciation of Zsa Zsa Gabor's name yesterday evening. She must not have heard of her.
Old 12-19-2016, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drad dog View Post
Young uns let me tell ya when I was a kid:

There was a whole world of celebs that appeared on talk shows who were from a whole previous generation but which we were all familiar with.

Ethel Merman, Arthur Treacher, Jimmy Durante. Show biz used to have a recognizable evolution.

I'm not sure how that kind of knowledge gets transmitted now or if it will just end and we will all live in the eternal present.
That's what I see as the big difference between now and when I was young. It used to be that people were famous for 50-70 years. I grew up watching people on TV that started out in vaudeville, moved to movies, went to radio then finally television, including those you mention, Berle, Bing, Hope, Benny, Burns and Allen, etc. There were literally a hundred or more names that pretty much anyone in the country would recognize in an instant and who had been around since your parents were kids. That would be like somebody who started in the 50s still being at the top of their fame today.
There really isn't that kind of "old guard" any more. Some people maintain fame for 10, maybe 20 years. But I have a hard time thinking of more than a few who have pushed past that and stayed relevant who came to prominence in the last 40 years.