Old 01-03-2014, 12:43 PM

What's the earliest movie that you liked that you still like?

If you're like me, you've seen many movies that you have just forgotten whether you liked them or not. But surely there's some early movie experience that you still consider to have been a good one.

The very earliest of those I probably have forgotten, but at least these still hold up for me:

Shane
Samson and Delilah (Mature and Lamarr)
A Place in the Sun
From Here to Eternity
Jim Thorpe, All American
High Noon

I saw all of these before high school age.
Old 01-03-2014, 12:55 PM

Some Like It Hot, which I saw at the tender age of four in 1959. I have never, ever in my life been as turned on as I was watching Marilyn Monroe singing on stage in that so-called dress she sort of had on.

I got to see it because my mother, who hated going to the movies alone, took me along with her (apparently, neither my dad or my older brother wanted to see Marilyn, Tony Curtis, Jack Lemmon, George Raft, and Joe E Brown in a Billy Wilder flick ). When one of her friends told her she shouldn't take me to see movies like that, she replied "Oh, he doesn't know what he's looking at!"

My only response was a dumbfounded stare. I wanted to say "Of course I know what I was looking at! I'm not stupid, you know!"
Old 01-03-2014, 01:00 PM

Star Wars, i was around 2 or 3 when i saw it.
Old 01-03-2014, 01:11 PM
Charter Member

It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World. When I was in (Catholic) elementary school in the '60s the nuns took us to see it at the Cinerama as a school treat. Today I own it on DVD; I think I've watched it within the past year.
Old 01-03-2014, 01:15 PM
Charter Member

Logan's Run beats out Star Wars by a year. I was 6. My parents were not happy that my brothers took me to see it, but I loved it.
Old 01-03-2014, 01:19 PM
Charter Member

The Sound of Music was among the first movies I ever saw (age 4), and it still holds up for me.
Old 01-03-2014, 01:25 PM

Empire Strikes Back. I was very young and choose to pee myself in the theater rather than miss any of it. It's still the best in the trilogy.
Old 01-03-2014, 01:34 PM

The first movie I remember seeing is Vacation; still a great movie. I would have been about 6 or 7.

According to my parents, when I was around 2 or 3, I loved The Jerk; also still an amazing movie.
Old 01-03-2014, 01:34 PM
Charter Member

Dr. Strangelove, which I saw when I was twelve. I knew it was the best movie I'd ever seen.

I know there were many before that, but the one title the sticks in my mind, Sleeping Beauty, is inferior Disney.
Old 01-03-2014, 01:37 PM

My father took me to see 2001 - A Space Odyssey in the theater in 1968.
I was astonished. I was an 8-year-old who knew the names of the Mercury Seven and could recite stats about them in much the same way as other guys could rattle off RBIs and HRs for their favorite baseball players.

It is still a really good film.
Old 01-03-2014, 01:37 PM

So far as I can remember, SLIH was the first movie I saw in a theater/cinema. Before that, I remember watching Disney's Dumbo and Snow White on TV. I also remember watching The Three Stooges and Laurel & Hardy shorts (I got to stay up late a lot), plus the courtroom scene in Duck Soup, which really creeped me out.

A few years later, I remember watching The Dam Busters and Sink the Bismarck on TV. By then, I had seen the following on the big screen:

Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea
Guns of Navarone
Hell Is for Heroes
Journey to the Seventh Planet
Journey to the Center of the Earth
13 Ghosts
The Time Machine
The Parent Trap
101 Dalmatians
Lady and the Tramp
Operation Petticoat
The Sad Sack
Little Shop of Horrors
Taras Bulba

I'm sure there were others (my brother was a big Jerry Lewis and Danny Kaye fan), but these are the ones that made the strongest impressions on me.

Last edited by terentii; 01-03-2014 at 01:41 PM.
Old 01-03-2014, 01:39 PM

Hmmm. Probably The Wizard of Oz, but I'm honestly not sure.
Old 01-03-2014, 01:44 PM

I don't remember how old I was when I first saw The Court Jester, maybe 6 or 7? I think I love it even more at 50+.

I do remember seeing 1776 at age 10 and it holds up for me as well four decades later.
Old 01-03-2014, 01:59 PM

During February Vacation, as a kid, we'd stay with my Aunt, in Boston, every year, she'd take us to an old-time, majestic theater (all gone, now) to see a big screen epic. 50 years later, they still are remembered as classic.

Lawrence of Arabia(At intermission, they sold over-price OJ, and we were thirsty from all that desert. Best quench ever!
Its a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World (in Cinerama)
Goldfinger (My Aunt didn't realize the movie would be so racy and almost made us leave)
Dr. Zhivago

And you know, all these years later, all of them still stand up very well.
Old 01-03-2014, 02:00 PM

I know the first movie I saw in a theater was All Dogs Go to Heaven, and I was told that I liked it, even though I don't remember seeing it. I still think it's pretty good, albeit a little strange for a kids movie.

The first ones I remember watching and liking were The Princess Bride and Disney's animated Cinderella. That was in daycare, so I would have been about age 4 or so. I have them both on DVD now.
Old 01-03-2014, 02:05 PM

Mom took me to a bunch of forgetable disney stuff (Escape to Witch Mountain, Mary Poppins, Cat from Outer Space) that I remember finding incredibly dull.
Even when I saw Star Wars in 76' (when I was 6) I just wasn't that wowed by it. The marketing of toys, cards, everything more or less forced it in your lap.
The one that really blew me away was Close Encounters of the Third Kind. Saw it a couple times in the theatre at age 7. I was mezmorized and still love that movie.
Old 01-03-2014, 02:06 PM
Whatcha gonna do?
Charter Member

I was 6 when I saw Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, and it was love at first sight. Gene Wilder as Wonka was my hero, and had a pretty strong influence on the kind of guys I like to this day. It's still one of my favorite movies ever.

Saw The Aristocats around the same time and I remember it having a heavy influence on me at the time (I already loved cats, but the movie turned me into a jazz lover (that didn't really stick) and made me name all my stuffed cats after characters in the movie). I still like it but it didn't really stand up to the test of time.
Old 01-03-2014, 02:06 PM

Probably The Sting. I was 11 or 12 when it came out.
Old 01-03-2014, 02:08 PM
Charter Member

Of movies I saw in the theater, probably Star Wars or maybe The Empire Strikes Back (I'm not certain which of the two I actually saw first, as opposed to picking up through cultural osmosis). But I probably saw The Sound of Music or The Wizard of Oz before that, as they're fairly often on TV (and TSoM is my mom's favorite movie).

Probably the first movie I ever saw in a theater was an animated version of The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, but I remember absolutely nothing about it except that Aslan's pounce on the White Witch near the end was very impressive.
Old 01-03-2014, 02:15 PM

Another one that must have made a big impression on me was The Apartment, which I saw with my dad when it first came out. I didn't really get the story at the time (though I thought it was funny when Jack Lemmon used a tennis racket to strain his spaghetti), but I saw it on TCM this time last year and I was amazed at just how much of it I remembered anyway.
Old 01-03-2014, 02:19 PM
Charter Member

When I was five years old, I saw "The Ten Commandments" with my parents at a drive in in 1956 and remember the special effects vividly! I still get a kick out of watching it today.

The first movie I saw without my parents in a movie theater was also in 1956 (my older cousin took me): "The Beast From 20,000 Fathoms." Ray Harryhausen's dinosaur was nothing short of awesome! I still enjoy watching that.
Old 01-03-2014, 02:24 PM

When I was a kid I both loved and was somewhat terrified of The Dark Crystal. Watched it over and over. It's still awesome.
Old 01-03-2014, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infovore View Post
I was 6 when I saw Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, and it was love at first sight. Gene Wilder as Wonka was my hero, and had a pretty strong influence on the kind of guys I like to this day. It's still one of my favorite movies ever.
I was going to say Big Trouble in Little China, but I think I probably saw Willy Wonka first and probably the Wizard of Oz around the same time. Both of them were and still are great.
Old 01-03-2014, 02:33 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGnZdUgg6d8
Old 01-03-2014, 02:36 PM

Close Encounters of the Third Kind and Star wars.
Old 01-03-2014, 02:42 PM

I feel very young. One of my first theater experiences I remember was Home Alone. I would have been 6.
Old 01-03-2014, 02:52 PM
Voodoo Adult (Slight Return)
Charter Member

I'm guessing I saw Star Wars, Close Encounters, and Silver Streak all when I was 9 or so for the first time. The first two in the theater, the last on TV. They're all still favorites.
Old 01-03-2014, 03:00 PM

The Day the Earth Stood Still came out in 1951, so I was three when my parents took me to see it. Never have gotten tired of it. Don't plan to see the remake.

One thing that's interesting about the movie is that the interior of the spacecraft still looks futuristic. I remember some space movies from the 50's where spacecraft were roomy and looked like auditoriums. One of them had passengers sitting in folding chairs! But Michael Rennie's ship still looks advanced even by 21st century standards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morbo View Post
Logan's Run beats out Star Wars by a year. I was 6. My parents were not happy that my brothers took me to see it, but I loved it.
Speaking of Logan's Run. I was a graduate student living in the Ft. Worth area when it came out. The entrance to the underground world was the Ft. Worth Water Garden in front of the Ft. Worth Convention Center. We used to hang around there at night in the aimless, penniless way young people have and were really surprised to see it turn up in the movie.
Old 01-03-2014, 03:33 PM

It might have been the VERY first movie I ever saw. I couldn't have been any more than three, since the IMDB re-release schedule gives the date as December 1975:

Snow White And The Seven Dwarfs.

I even remember having pizza beforehand.

And yes, I still like it...the artistry of the animation and the songwriting hold up even today.

(When I saw a 1993 re-release with my friend Rick--who was the one who introduced me to the Dope--I said as we walked out, "I'd forgotten how much I liked that movie." He replied, "I'd forgotten how HIGH that little twerp's voice was." )

Then, when I was five, I remember seeing the Disney live-action release Candleshoe in the theater. It's a remarkably well-done little flick that's sort of an "Anastasia"-type deal. Two British crooks (one of whom is played by Leo McKern) recruit an American orphan (Jodie Foster, in the first thing I ever saw her in) to pose as the long-lost granddaughter of an English lady (Helen Hayes--who played a similar role in the original Anastasia!) They want her to search for a treasure on the lady's estate that was hidden by a pirate ancestor of hers. But once the girl gets there and passes the test, she begins to care for the old lady and the foster children she's taken in. The lady is land-poor, but to keep her from realizing how dire her straits are, her faithful butler (David Niven) poses as all the other servants, as well as an aristocratic neighbor. So Jodie's character begins to want to find the treasure to help her instead of to benefit the crooks. (It's left ambiguous at the end as to whether she really IS the old lady's granddaughter.)

Of course, not all of this registered with me as a kid--mainly, the part that stuck with me was the image of gold coins pouring out of a broken statue. But when I saw it again as an older kid, and again as an adult, it really hit me how well-made, well-written, well-cast (all those first-class actors like Niven, Hayes, and McKern!) and overall well-done it was. I still consider it one of Disney's underrated gems.
Old 01-03-2014, 04:01 PM
Charter Member

I think I saw The Titfield Thunderbolt about when it first came out -- I would have been 8 at the time -- and I still like it.
Old 01-03-2014, 04:07 PM

Weird, when I read the title, my first thought (of what you were asking) is what is the earliest movie around that you like (not "What is the earliest movie you remember seeing and liked"--which appears to be how most people in this thread are answering).

The earliest movie I remember seeing and liking (and still like to this day) is probably E.T.

However, the earliest movie (EVER, of all time--which is what I thought the OP's title was asking) that I've seen and still like to this day is probably Wizard of Oz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawMonkey View Post
Hmmm. Probably The Wizard of Oz, but I'm honestly not sure.
I think you read the OP like I did too. : p

Last edited by Idle Thoughts; 01-03-2014 at 04:09 PM.
Old 01-03-2014, 04:26 PM

I was six or seven when I saw Raiders of the Lost Ark for the first time. I didn't understand much of it, but I was enthralled.

I can still remember running out of the room when the Ark causes the Nazis' faces to melt.
Old 01-03-2014, 04:33 PM

Probably 2001 - I don't know if I can definitely remember any films I saw before then. I did see it fourteen times in the summer of its release (a perk of growing up in the cinema industry).

The only certain memory of another movie I saw at the time of release and still like is The Andromeda Strain. After which I sat through most of the blaxploitation era and wouldn't care to revisit most of it.

There would have been several Disney films in there, live and animated, new and re-release, but I don't know that I'd count any among them as favorites. Maybe The Computer Wore Tennis Shoes.

Last edited by Amateur Barbarian; 01-03-2014 at 04:34 PM.
Old 01-03-2014, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idle Thoughts View Post
Weird, when I read the title, my first thought (of what you were asking) is what is the earliest movie around that you like (not "What is the earliest movie you remember seeing and liked"--which appears to be how most people in this thread are answering).
FWIW, all of the movies I have listed I still like to this day.
Old 01-03-2014, 05:25 PM

Cat Ballou (1965). I couldn't have been more than five years old. But I remembered it strangely well, and love it to this day. And even then, I knew that Jane Fonda was smoking hot.
Old 01-03-2014, 05:32 PM

When I was a kid in the 60s there was only one commercial TV station where I lived and they showed bits of programming from all the major city networks. Sundays however were just endless old movies. I got two things from this; a life long love of movies and learning how to cook myself something to eat while watching a movie. In those days you didn't know anything about the movies you were about to watch; no IMDB, no Halliwell's Film Guide, but there would be dozens including most mentioned in the OP that I would happily watch again any time.

The earliest movie that I can recall seeing at the movies (drive in actually) that I would watch again was Lawrence of Arabia. I saw that with my parents. I think the earliest things I saw with friends were Cool Hand Luke, The Dirty Dozen and The Graduate, all of which are 1967 releases but may have got here later.
Old 01-03-2014, 07:35 PM
Charter Member

The first movies I saw in a cinema were all Disney, and most, especially the animated ones, still hold up. That includes Bambi, Snow White, and Pinocchio. I don't know if Pete's Dragon, or Herbie Goes To Monte Carlo would still hold up.

But I also remember seeing old movies on TV, like with Danny Kaye, or the Marx Brothers, or Bob Hope and Bing Crosby*, or Ma and Pa Kettle. I suspect they still hold up, but I haven't seen them since to know for sure. Well, except for the Marx Brothers.

*Farfel Farfel Pipik
Old 01-03-2014, 09:33 PM

I can't remember which movie I saw first: Ben Hur or a re-release of Gone With the Wind that came to my small-town city theatre. I think of Ben Hur as the first movie I remember that had an intermission, so it may have been that one. We saw it at a drive-in. It made a HUGE impression on me, especially the bloody body of one of the chariot drivers after his chariot wrecked. I had a Ben Hur coloring book, and I remember coloring the fallen chariot driver all red.

On the whole, though, I probably still enjoy watching GWTW more now, though. I do still watch it when it comes on tv and enjoy it.

I first saw The Day the Earth Stood Still on tv. Ditto Forbidden Planet. I still really love both movies.
Old 01-03-2014, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeldar View Post
Samson and Delilah (Mature and Lamarr)
Loved it when I was five because a hunk of stone fell on a guy's torso and he vomited blood. Haven't seen it since so I can't comment, but the cast is great.

I have found Sink the Bismark to be even better than when I saw it at six. I couldn't appreciate the finer points of the Fairey Swordfish or Dana Wynter then.
Old 01-03-2014, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biffy the Elephant Shrew View Post
It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World. When I was in (Catholic) elementary school in the '60s the nuns took us to see it at the Cinerama as a school treat. Today I own it on DVD; I think I've watched it within the past year.
This is the one I was going to say. I still laugh when I watch it.
Old 01-03-2014, 10:19 PM

Labryinth is by far the earliest movie I can remember loving. I've seen it more than any other movie. It still holds up unlike Dark Crystal.

The Princess Bride and The Wizard of Oz have also all held up.
Those were my earliest childhood favourites. I wish I could say the Star Wars films but they put me to sleep as a kid. I didn't appreciate them until I was older [I still fall asleep during the battle scenes]. My older siblings loved Star Wars more than I did.

The 'Burbs is just as funny today as it was when I was a kid. Tom Hanks really nailed that scene where he says "I've never seen that before. I've never seen someone drive their trash to the curb and beat the hell out of it with a stick. I've never seen that before."
I've seen The 'Burbs almost as many times as Labryinth.
Old 01-03-2014, 11:18 PM

The two huge movies I loved in my childhood were Ghostbusters (seen on VHS, I was too young to see it in the theater) and Cinderella (I got the VHS for my birthday). I still absolutely love both movies (I hate Cinderella, she annoys me. I love the mice and the step-sisters*). Ghostbusters never stops being funny, no matter how many times I see it.

*When I went to Disney for my 30th birthday, I got completely giddy when I saw Anastasia, Drizella, and Lady Tremaine heading to their little nook for signing autographs. I was first in a line filled with little kids and getting my picture taken with them was one of the best parts of my birthday.

Last edited by congodwarf; 01-03-2014 at 11:19 PM.
Old 01-03-2014, 11:28 PM
Charter Member

Forbidden Planet. I was maybe 5 years old. I didn't know what "monsters from the id" were, but I knew they were scary.

And Robby was - and still is - cool.
Old 01-03-2014, 11:46 PM

My first thought is Empire Strikes Back. I think was six at the time.

Now, I know that I saw A New Hope first and I'm sure I must have liked it, but I'll go back to ESB for this thread simply because that's the first movie I actually remember watching. We had to take a nap because it was going to run late and we saw it on HBO - I still remember the little HBO lead-in they were playing at the time. I don't specifically remember seeing ANH in the same way.

A very close chronological runner-up would be Jason and the Argonauts.
Old 01-04-2014, 12:24 AM

I saw Flight of the Navigator as my first theater experience. Still love it today.
Old 01-04-2014, 03:00 AM

The movie that first popped into my head was Bye-Bye Birdie!, which I watched circa 1963 with my grandmother. (It shouldn't qualify since I've only watched it about once again in the recent half-century but it's a fun movie of which I still have fond memories.) In those days, movies had only a tiny fraction of the "sex" that today's movies have, yet there were some movies (e.g. Blue Denim), that my grandmother took me to that might not have ben appropriate for a young boy. (Checking the date in Wikipedia, it looks like she took me to that film when I was 9 or 10. )

Maybe Bye-Bye Birdie! is a silly choice, but imagine the effect voluptuous Ann-Margret might have on a 13-year old boy! (Checking Wikipedia to see how early in her career that movie was, I see she made State Fair the year before, another movie that impressed me.)
Old 01-04-2014, 03:10 AM

The Wizard of Oz. Hands down. An incredibly wonderful movie.
Old 01-04-2014, 03:23 AM

I barely remember going I was about 5. My sister took me to see Willie Wonka.
Old 01-04-2014, 03:26 AM
Charter Member

The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (1919)
Old 01-04-2014, 03:31 AM

The earliest memories I have of watching good movies are James Bond films on the telly at Christmas. The one movie that came to mind first, though, was the original Death Race 2000 - I found the video and put it on out of curiosity, probably in the late 70s. I thought it was hilarious and bone-chilling at the same time, and have enjoyed black comedies and satire ever since.