Old 12-14-2016, 03:50 PM

Just got a big box of stuff from amazon...that I didn't order

Got home. BIG box from amazon on my front porch. How big? Both my dogs (60 lbs & 35 lbs) could fit into it comfortably. Amazon label addressed to me. Although I order from amazon a lot, I wasn't expecting anything at the moment and certainly nothing this big.

I opened the box and found a humidifier, a Roomba-type vacuum cleaner, and a small electronic doo-dad for an iPhone (I don't have an iPhone). Sometimes there's a receipt in an amazon delivery box; this time there was not.

I called amazon, and read the USPS tracking number to the CSR and she found the same thing that I did when I looked up the tracking number, namely, that it had been delivered and nothing else. I read her another number from the box and she said she couldn't find a record of the order. I wasn't charged for anything. She said just to keep the stuff. She said since there was no record of an order, there was no place to send it back to.

I know they handle so many millions of orders (and I certainly do my part) that something has to go wrong from time to time, but nothing like this has ever happened to me. I did just change my amazon password for good mojo. By what mechanism could something get sent to me by mistake? With no record of any order? Anyone ever have something like this happen?
Advertisements  
Old 12-14-2016, 03:54 PM

Could it be a present? I had my daughter's present shipped directly to her from Amazon.
Old 12-14-2016, 04:00 PM

I very nearly accidentally ordered something rather embarrassing on my boss's Amazon account because he lets me order supplies under his account, and I forgot to switch accounts. Caught it before I checked out, but I can't figure out how to delete that particular thing from his Recently Viewed history. Ah well. He's got plenty of embarrassing items in there himself.
Old 12-14-2016, 04:04 PM

Quote:
I read her another number from the box and she said she couldn't find a record of the order.
it's really hard to believe Amazon can't figure out where the order came from

congratulations on your new free stuff!

Last edited by JackieLikesVariety; 12-14-2016 at 04:04 PM.
Old 12-14-2016, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivylass View Post
Could it be a present? I had my daughter's present shipped directly to her from Amazon.
I was wondering that, as I usually send presents directly to people from amazon. I always include the gift receipt or card or something. But, frankly, I don't know anyone who likes me enough to spend this much money on me! And everyone who knows me knows that I have a BlackBerry, so an iPhone accessory would not be appropriate.

I thought about getting myself a Roomba-type vac until I read a story about one that was operating on its own and came across some dog poop (I have a 14-year old dog, so it would not be out of the question to find some in my house), vacuumed it up, and proceeded to spread it all over the house. I prolly don't need one of those...

Humidifier? Where I live the humidity is always high.

No one else uses my account, unless someone hacked into it, and this was some kind of test run.
Old 12-14-2016, 04:10 PM
Charter Member

Could it be a scammer neighbor that had stuff sent to your address with the intent to later steal the box off your porch, but you came home too soon?

Although that doesn't explain why Amazon has absolutely no record of the order.

USPS tracking can't figure out where it was sent from? Not even the city where the package entered the shipping chain?

Last edited by ChockFullOfHeadyGoodness; 12-14-2016 at 04:12 PM.
Old 12-14-2016, 04:18 PM
Charter Member

I got an Amazon package that I wasn't expecting yesterday. Small, addressed to me. I opened it and found a gift message from and to people I have never heard of. As I dug out the contents (two books on canning), I found more gift message slips and finally found one from my eldest son and his wife. So mystery solved, but I have to wonder who's been spiking the eggnog at the Fulfillment Center.
Old 12-14-2016, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChockFullOfHeadyGoodness View Post
USPS tracking can't figure out where it was sent from? Not even the city where the package entered the shipping chain?
Maybe they could, but I'm not inclined to pursue it.

Here's a tiny piece of the puzzle. I order big sacks of dog food from amazon. Cheaper than the pet/grocery store, and they show up on the front porch. I also get notifications of delivery by text message from UPS and from USPostal Service. I get a notification when a thing is shipped, when delivery is anticipated, and after it has been delivered (the last being triggered by the delivery person inputting the info into their magic tracking thingybob).

Yesterday, I got a bag of dog food followed by a notification that it had been delivered. Fine. Earlier today I got a notification that the bag of dog food would be delivered today by 8 pm. I thought to myself, "I got that yesterday. Hmmm." Then I get home and the big box with goodies-not-dog-food is here. Just now I got a text notification that the bag of dog food was delivered, obviously referring to this big box.

Somehow my original order for dog food collided in space with an order for a humidifier, roomba-type vac, and iPhone toy and their molecular essences merged or split or something... like that movie Sliding Doors. Sort of. There's probably a better movie example, but that's the one that came to mind.
Old 12-14-2016, 04:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyNot View Post
I very nearly accidentally ordered something rather embarrassing on my boss's Amazon account because he lets me order supplies under his account, and I forgot to switch accounts. Caught it before I checked out, but I can't figure out how to delete that particular thing from his Recently Viewed history. Ah well. He's got plenty of embarrassing items in there himself.
At least for me (on all the computers I use), I go to the main screen, scroll down a bit until I find a carousel of the last few things I looked at. Under that there's a link that says "see all of your recently viewed items". On that page you can just go and delete all the items you don't want other people to see (or for Amazon to use as suggestions going forward).
At least that's how it works on my computer.
Old 12-14-2016, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey P View Post
At least for me (on all the computers I use), I go to the main screen, scroll down a bit until I find a carousel of the last few things I looked at. Under that there's a link that says "see all of your recently viewed items". On that page you can just go and delete all the items you don't want other people to see (or for Amazon to use as suggestions going forward).
Unless you think that later your boss might want to order that case of hot pink condoms.

Never mind.
Old 12-14-2016, 04:35 PM
Charter Member

The info on an intact shipping label is gold, and should lead the shipper exactly to the data needed to trace the package. Unless it is a fake label, and then the shipper will want to see it more than ever. Try contacting their fraud department.
Old 12-14-2016, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicat View Post
The info on an intact shipping label is gold, and should lead the shipper exactly to the data needed to trace the package. Unless it is a fake label, and then the shipper will want to see it more than ever. Try contacting their fraud department.
I'm sure you're correct. And it's not that I want the stuff-- I don't-- and I am curious, but amazon is not interested in pursuing it, so I'm not going to. Just got this email from them:
Quote:
Hello,

Thank you so much for informing us that you received a package that you didn't order.

In this case, there's no need to return the item. You're welcome to keep, donate or dispose of it--whichever option is most appropriate and convenient for you.

I hope this solution works for you. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

We'd appreciate your feedback. Please use the links below to tell us about your experience today.

Best regards,
[CSR name]

Last edited by ThelmaLou; 12-14-2016 at 04:58 PM.
Old 12-14-2016, 05:01 PM

I think you may have received my vacuum an humidifier and my iphone doo hickey.

Can you send it to me?

Thank you!
Old 12-14-2016, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harmonicamoon View Post
I think you may have received my vacuum an humidifier and my iphone doo hickey.

Can you send it to me?

Thank you!
Oh gosh... I'm so sorry... the vacuum already picked up some dog poo. Can I send that along, too?
Old 12-14-2016, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey P View Post
Thanks!
Old 12-14-2016, 06:57 PM

This doesn't surprise me. Last month, I ordered a Kindle for my nephew and received an "ultrasonic oil diffuser" instead. I didn't even know what it was until I looked it up on the site. It took over a week to straighten it out.
Old 12-14-2016, 07:02 PM

A few weeks back Fed ex dumped a 90 pound computer desk on my enclosed porch. It wasn't even addressed to me and they were nice enough to position it that I had to flip it over to see that. I ended up having to lug it with help to the end of my street.
Old 12-14-2016, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
Got home. BIG box from amazon on my front porch. How big? Both my dogs (60 lbs & 35 lbs) could fit into it comfortably. Amazon label addressed to me. Although I order from amazon a lot, I wasn't expecting anything at the moment and certainly nothing this big.

I opened the box and found a humidifier, a Roomba-type vacuum cleaner, and a small electronic doo-dad for an iPhone (I don't have an iPhone). Sometimes there's a receipt in an amazon delivery box; this time there was not.

I called amazon, and read the USPS tracking number to the CSR and she found the same thing that I did when I looked up the tracking number, namely, that it had been delivered and nothing else. I read her another number from the box and she said she couldn't find a record of the order. I wasn't charged for anything. She said just to keep the stuff. She said since there was no record of an order, there was no place to send it back to.

I know they handle so many millions of orders (and I certainly do my part) that something has to go wrong from time to time, but nothing like this has ever happened to me. I did just change my amazon password for good mojo. By what mechanism could something get sent to me by mistake? With no record of any order? Anyone ever have something like this happen?

I guess you checked your bank account?

Congrats on your free stuff. Merry Christmas, or Happy Holidays....which ever you prefer. lol
Old 12-14-2016, 07:13 PM
Charter Member

Possibility that someone stole a credit card and used your house as a drop place for the order. I had something similar happen to me once.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 12-14-2016, 07:15 PM

My mom when nuts two or three Decembers ago when a box arrived addressed to her with some weird stuff, like a fire pit and cover, and ice cube trays shaped like ammo. Eventually, just before Christmas my aunt called and admitted to doing some Christmas shopping while drinking. Mystery solved
Old 12-14-2016, 07:18 PM

I confess, I sent it. Happy holidays!

Now I expect something really nice in return.
Old 12-14-2016, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatandMouse View Post
I guess you checked your bank account?
I have alerts on my credit card, too, if any charge over $50 is made. But I checked, too, just to be sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by panache45 View Post

Well, when that semi backs up to your front door, there will be a big surprise inside! You keep bales of hay on hand, I hope? Never mind, I can order those from amazon, too.
Old 12-14-2016, 07:32 PM
Charter Member

With the insane volume of shipments that Amazon boxes up and sends out every day at this time of year, I'm surprised there aren't more phantom deliveries like this. Meanwhile, someone in Virginia is mad because Amazon is saying their roomba and humidifier were delivered.
Old 12-14-2016, 07:41 PM

I see lots of shipping errors, some similar enough to this one. usually what has happened, is due to the detailed procedures and mechanisms the source company uses to arrange shipments. Little things like electronic hiccups, erroneously printing not one, but two shipping labels for your dog food, can lead to the people who are paid to "grab the next label, stick it on the next box, and ship that thang" to give you these gifts.

Best freebee I got so far, was when I ordered a new keyboard for a customer. The vendor made a mistake, and sent me a crate of keyboards instead, with a charge for only one, because it was one box of keyboards. I sold the extras on ebay for about $300.
Old 12-14-2016, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotpasswords View Post
With the insane volume of shipments that Amazon boxes up and sends out every day at this time of year, I'm surprised there aren't more phantom deliveries like this. Meanwhile, someone in Virginia is mad because Amazon is saying their roomba and humidifier were delivered.
I know. And they probably got a big bag of dog food.

Quote:
Originally Posted by igor frankensteen View Post
I see lots of shipping errors, some similar enough to this one. usually what has happened, is due to the detailed procedures and mechanisms the source company uses to arrange shipments. Little things like electronic hiccups, erroneously printing not one, but two shipping labels for your dog food, can lead to the people who are paid to "grab the next label, stick it on the next box, and ship that thang" to give you these gifts.

Best freebee I got so far, was when I ordered a new keyboard for a customer. The vendor made a mistake, and sent me a crate of keyboards instead, with a charge for only one, because it was one box of keyboards. I sold the extras on ebay for about $300.
WOW!

Last edited by ThelmaLou; 12-14-2016 at 08:42 PM.
Old 12-14-2016, 08:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotpasswords View Post
Out of about 130 orders, we've only had one mistake. Ordered 3 DVDs, got a K-Cup coffee machine and two boxes of assorted flavor K-Cups.

Got to keep the coffee stuff and replacement DVDs were overnighted.
ETA: This was clearly an error. The order and tracking numbers matched, no phantoms on this one.

Last edited by running coach; 12-14-2016 at 08:48 PM.
Old 12-14-2016, 09:59 PM

How's the K-Cup coffee?
Old 12-14-2016, 10:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harmonicamoon View Post
How's the K-Cup coffee?
No idea. I hate coffee.

My wife liked 'em. They were from this company.
This assortment.
Old 12-14-2016, 11:07 PM
born to be shunned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post

If you send me a jpeg of the label I could tell you where it came from and how it was delivered most likely. The why becomes a little tougher. I am told by friends who work in the FCs (fulfillment centers where the stuff is actually boxed) that sometimes people on their last day will gift things; you order one and they send you ten, duplicate a real order and send it to some random customer, stuff like that. FCs are known to be fairly brutal to work at and some people try for their pound of flesh as they leave. Because it often is random its hard for the company to trace back so most times they don't even bother. Same goes if you want to return it - not worth their effort to arrange for it to come back and restock it. The big times for this are around Christmas, Prime Day and the beginning and end of school/college semesters when some of my fellow workers just throw in the towel under the pressure of the job and when the company has a lot of agency hires who basically don't give a darn.
Old 12-15-2016, 10:39 AM
Just Lovely and Delicious
Charter Member

I get random packages from Amazon all the time!

Then I open them and realize that I don't have a secret sweetie or a benevolent fulfillment center elf, I just order so much mundane shit from Amazon that I forget that I ordered something and here it is.
Old 12-15-2016, 11:14 AM
Charter Member

Not Amazon but Marks & Spencers. I ordered some trousers and they were apparently delivered today. Someone signed for them - someone who does not have my name. Naturally, my trousers are not here. That's right: someone has walked off with my trousers!
Old 12-15-2016, 11:39 AM
born to be shunned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quartz View Post
Not Amazon but Marks & Spencers. I ordered some trousers and they were apparently delivered today. Someone signed for them - someone who does not have my name. Naturally, my trousers are not here. That's right: someone has walked off with my trousers!
And when I think of all the things I've tried to get someone into my pants --------
Old 12-15-2016, 03:04 PM

I ordered a bunch of items. I got them quickly, then another package with some duplicates. I contacted them letting them know, and I guess they thought it meant I didn't get them? So I got a third copy of some of the items.

Legally, you can keep the items. The OP did contact them, but even if the morality of just keeping them is questionable, usually they will not request them back and it will be a hassle/impossible to return them. This is true if Amazon sells them, third party sellers may want them returned, YMMV.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyNot View Post
Ooh, what was it!?

I do my personal Amazon through Firefox and work through Chrome or IE to avoid just this problem.

You should be able to remove recently viewed if you scroll all the way to the bottom of the page. Click "See all your recently viewed items >". Then you can click individual ones to remove them, or click "Manage history" to open a section that lets you remove all or turn off history.
Old 12-15-2016, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by panache45 View Post

How does dog food for a 60-pounder and a 35-pounder strike you?
Old 12-15-2016, 08:11 PM
born to be shunned

OK ---- ThelmaLou ---- 98% chance you got gifted by someone on their last day. Your package was filled at the Fulfillment Center in Hebron KY which has a reputation for ----- let us say "interesting" ------ employees. It was then probably flown as part of what we refer to as Archangel to the sortation center in San Antonio and from there placed on a pallet (B line, pallet number 18) to be trucked to your local post office where the USPS handled it from there. In theory the number before the C032 could tell the Big Wigs in Da Jungle who filled that particular box (the "picker" who runs around the warehouse shopping for you) but -------- this time of year scanners get grabbed and people forget to log out and you really can't tell much of anything without physically watching the box in reverse as it leave the gaylord it was loaded in back through to where it was sealed to the person doing the picking. It could be done --- we have that many cameras. But does it make business sense to do so.

(more to follow)

Last edited by kopek; 12-15-2016 at 08:12 PM.
Old 12-15-2016, 08:21 PM

Thanks for the very interesting info! The number before the C032 was my phone number. I blurred it, since I uploaded to Photobucket. Please don't pinpoint my location too specifically on this board. I prefer to be vague about that. So a real life Christmas elf at Amazon sent me prezzies! How cool!
Old 12-15-2016, 08:26 PM
born to be shunned

The turn-over for part-timers at FCs is really high; basically after 3 weeks you are a veteran and after 2 months you are a senior staff member. I know people at FCs and they are not nearly the happy campers us SC (sortation) people are ---- we usually last more like 4 months. (I've been there over 2 years but I'm a little nuts so it helps). Pickers, being timed while they do it, run from place to place to place filling an order and having the results logged by their scanner. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that if you get your hands on a scanner logged to another person you can basically go nuts. If you are slightly better than that you can figure out how to create total orders from thin air at different stages from before the stuff is "picked".

Now remember -- you are making fair money ($12.50 per hour most places) but its only part time and you may just be seasonal. And at a FC like Hebron you are getting treated pretty poorly and pushed really hard. And you figure out the tricks. Like I said earlier; some associates just have to get their pound of flesh out of the company on their way out the door. I would bet money (and US stuff at that) that that is what happened here.
Old 12-15-2016, 08:35 PM
born to be shunned

San Antonio covers huge chunks of the South; services most of their post offices. The number I meant wasn't blurred ----- it started with # and ended with #

Another side note; I got a little laugh when we started flying stuff to the various sortation centers and calling it "Archangel". As I read my Scripture usually when the Archangel visits the Earth someone ends up dead or pregnant. Either way you're &#@^ed!
Old 12-16-2016, 10:18 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quartz View Post
That's right: someone has walked off with my trousers!
It's the wrong trousers, Gromit!
Old 12-16-2016, 11:55 AM

kopek, thanks again for explaining this phenomenon. Two years, huh? You must be one tough cookie. And smart.
Old 12-16-2016, 12:12 PM

I've received a couple of packages via UPS that were addressed to a house down the street. I carried it there.

Another time, I received a FedEx notice informing me I hadn't been home when they came to pick up something from me to ship. It also had the wrong address. Note that my address is clearly marked on my house and the curb. I called, and they apologized.

I'm an author, and I have to say that an unexplained delivery of a robot (the Roomba), computer equipment (the smartphone thing) and climate control equipment (the dehumidifier) would send me straight to my computer to write science fiction.
Old 12-16-2016, 01:02 PM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

A couple of years ago, several very large boxes appeared on my front porch. The shipping label did have my street on it, but the number and name were unclear, and for whatever reason, they were delivered to me.

I opened them, hoping to find an invoice or something, but no luck. So I started studying the shipping labels, and I found a series of letters that could have been a name. And here's where I went all Sherlock!

I have a link to the state's property appraiser's website. I did a search on my street and looked at all the names listed. There was one that had a series of letters that matched those on the label. Eureka!!! The address was 4 houses down from us.

So I scribble a note explaining why the boxes were open and hauled them to the correct address. There happened to be several other large boxes on their porch, so I was pretty sure I got the right place. I never did hear anything from these neighbors so either I guessed right and they didn't think it was necessary to thank me, or I guessed wrong and they were celebrating their bonanza. Either way, I was pretty proud of myself.
Old 12-16-2016, 01:09 PM

Good job, both of you! Yes, this could be the beginning of a science fiction story. You have my full permission to use it!

About once a month or so I get mail that is addressed to one of my neighbors, so I just carry it over there. (I have such an old house, that the mailman actually puts the letters through a slot INTO the house. Hehe.) But I've never gotten a box addressed to someone else.

And anyway, this box was addressed to me and even had my correct phone number on the label. Whoever sent it had access to my amazon account. Just glad they used their powers for good, not evil.
Old 12-16-2016, 01:33 PM

I have a feeling that you have found yourself off the edge of the bell curve. For every million orders Amazon probably has about 6 errors of this nature.
Old 12-16-2016, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewder View Post
I have a feeling that you have found yourself off the edge of the bell curve. For every million orders Amazon probably has about 6 errors of this nature.
Probably the one and only time something like this will ever happen to me. I'm one of those people who never wins anything where chance is involved.
Old 12-16-2016, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChockFullOfHeadyGoodness View Post
Could it be a scammer neighbor that had stuff sent to your address with the intent to later steal the box off your porch, but you came home too soon?

Although that doesn't explain why Amazon has absolutely no record of the order.

What kind of stupid scam would that be? You pay to send it to your neighbor and hope to steal it back before they get home? Amazon don't do COD, far as I know, so you can't order stuff without making payments at time of order checkout.

If not just a mistake, maybe OP just has a secret santy.
Old 12-16-2016, 07:10 PM

The closest I have came to getting free stuff like this was about a decade ago: Marlboro was giving away digital cameras if you logged in with a code. I logged in, gave up my precious email addy (back before I had unlimited addies) and my home address. And promptly forgot about it.

Some weeks later I received a 3mb digital camera and a charger/usb cord.

And for the next week I got another one in the mail.

I gave the extras to my kids, my nieces and nephews and my hubby even took one to work for his international skype calls.

I still have one in my desk drawer. Whether it works and whether it uses a nowadays USB cord... no idea. But it brings back fond memories of when 300X400 pixels was all I could see on my webTV. I still have some pix from back then on my website and they are so tiny.
Old 12-16-2016, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBG View Post
What kind of stupid scam would that be? You pay to send it to your neighbor and hope to steal it back before they get home? Amazon don't do COD, far as I know, so you can't order stuff without making payments at time of order checkout.

If not just a mistake, maybe OP just has a secret santy.
You steal a credit card, buy stuff on Amazon, and have it sent to a home you suspect is empty during the day. Drive by, pick up your haul off the porch, and the police can't track it to you via either the stolen credit card or the delivery address.
Old 12-16-2016, 09:40 PM

I once got a mysterious package delivered to my porch. I order stuff a lot (it's been years since I've been in a mall) so I take it in and open it.

It's full of sex toys....

I look at the receipt and it's for the married couple across the street. It's addressed on the outside to them with the correct address. The UPS driver had just put it on the wrong porch (house numbers are similar).

I taped it up, then waited until they were out for the evening and redelivered it.

I could never look them in the eye if they knew that i knew...well you know..
Old 12-17-2016, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistymage View Post
The closest I have came to getting free stuff like this was about a decade ago: Marlboro was giving away digital cameras if you logged in with a code. I logged in, gave up my precious email addy (back before I had unlimited addies) and my home address. And promptly forgot about it.

Some weeks later I received a 3mb digital camera and a charger/usb cord.

And for the next week I got another one in the mail.

I gave the extras to my kids, my nieces and nephews and my hubby even took one to work for his international skype calls.

I still have one in my desk drawer. Whether it works and whether it uses a nowadays USB cord... no idea. But it brings back fond memories of when 300X400 pixels was all I could see on my webTV. I still have some pix from back then on my website and they are so tiny.
USB is designed to be completely backwards compatible. Your old cord may be very, very slow, but it will work with modern ports.