Old 04-30-2017, 06:29 PM

Who does not have to call POTUS "Mr. President"?

His wife, kids, old friends...? Or they do as well?
Old 04-30-2017, 06:47 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Canadians.
Old 04-30-2017, 06:49 PM
Charter Member

No one HAS to call him anything particular. And any law that said we did would violate the First Amendment.

Last edited by Acsenray; 04-30-2017 at 06:50 PM.
Old 04-30-2017, 07:02 PM

Right, there is no law... but whom of his daily associates would not be calling him Mr. President ?
Old 04-30-2017, 07:13 PM
The Central Scrutinizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bardos View Post
Right, there is no law... but whom of his daily associates would not be calling him Mr. President ?
Anyone. It depends on the president. Most if not all presidents bring a certain amount of cronies along that they have known for a while. It wouldn't surprise me if there are always a certain number of people who call the president by his first name behind closed doors. Why wouldn't there be?
Old 04-30-2017, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loach View Post
Anyone. It depends on the president. Most if not all presidents bring a certain amount of cronies along that they have known for a while. It wouldn't surprise me if there are always a certain number of people who call the president by his first name behind closed doors. Why wouldn't there be?
I agree... just checking on who would call him Donny
Old 04-30-2017, 07:29 PM
Elephant Whisperer

Me.
Old 04-30-2017, 07:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loach View Post
I agree... just checking on who would call him Donny
Since I doubt anyone here can give a factual answer, my speculation is that Melania and some others will call him Donald, but not Donny.
Old 04-30-2017, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post
Since I doubt anyone here can give a factual answer, my speculation is that Melania ....
So, not snookems?
Old 04-30-2017, 08:05 PM
Charter Member

No. I can categorically state that Melania does not call him snookems.
Old 04-30-2017, 08:10 PM

Protocol dictates that foreign diplomats address him as "Your Excellency" as opposed to "Mr President".
Old 04-30-2017, 08:10 PM
Charter Member

Miss Manners told the story that at one major gala given by JFK, people in the receiving line would call him "Jack", in an attempt to show that they were "in" with the President.

Then the Attorney General came up and said "Good evening, Mr President."

Miss Manners commented that it was an excellent example of how formality can be used to show one's own social and political status.

Last edited by Northern Piper; 04-30-2017 at 08:10 PM.
Old 04-30-2017, 08:26 PM

I'm sure Ivanka, and possibly Jared, call him "Dad."
Old 04-30-2017, 08:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

Nitpick: "who ... would ... be calling ... him". It's subjective case. The hint is that the clause already has an object, "him."
Old 04-30-2017, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acsenray View Post
Nitpick: "who ... would ... be calling ... him". It's subjective case. The hint is that the clause already has an object, "him."
I agree... saw it afterwards and was too lazy to change.
Old 04-30-2017, 09:30 PM
Charter Member

Look, if I was President, I confess that I'd be milking it. My wife would never come around, but heck, I would have someone would train my dog to address me that way: "Rood rorning, Rister Resident!"
Old 04-30-2017, 11:03 PM

I wouldn't, even if I had to.
Old 04-30-2017, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Piper View Post
Miss Manners told the story that at one major gala given by JFK, people in the receiving line would call him "Jack", in an attempt to show that they were "in" with the President.

Then the Attorney General came up and said "Good evening, Mr President."

Miss Manners commented that it was an excellent example of how formality can be used to show one's own social and political status.
Given who JFK's attorney general was, if this is a true story, it's particularly amusing.
Old 04-30-2017, 11:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Tildrum View Post
Look, if I was President, I confess that I'd be milking it. My wife would never come around, but heck, I would have someone would train my dog to address me that way: "Rood rorning, Rister Resident!"
From what I've heard, he is milking it. Supposedly there's a button on his desk. When he presses it, a butler appears with a Coke.
Old 04-30-2017, 11:44 PM
2012 SDMB NFL Salary Cap Champ
Charter Member

Quote:
From what I've heard, he is milking it. Supposedly there's a button on his desk. When he presses it, a butler appears with a Coke.
I'm wondering what Robot Chicken will do with Trump. If they have a chance to get anything done for Season 9, depending on their lead times.
Old 05-01-2017, 05:06 AM

Americans aren't as hung up on titles as us Brits. Prince Charles for instance demands that everyone bar close relatives address him as Your Royal Highness on every single occasion they need to speak to him. It's a running joke among his servants. Even the Queen isn't that anal, allowing servants to use Ma'am with her. If the guy ever gets to be king it'll be like Versailles under Louis XIV.
Old 05-01-2017, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldiboronti View Post
Even the Queen isn't that anal, allowing servants to use Ma'am with her.
That's the formal protocol though. "Your Majesty" the first time, then "ma'am" subsequently. Any source for the Prince Charles story? It's surprisingly hard to google, due to the unexpectedly vast number of etiquette results.
Old 05-01-2017, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Prince Charles for instance demands that everyone bar close relatives address him as Your Royal Highness on every single occasion they need to speak to him. It's a running joke among his servants.
Really? I distinctly remember TV documentaries (all right, they might have been staged) showing friends of his in the Navy and at Cambridge calling him "Wales", and I'm pretty damn sure it's just the usual "sir" for all the random people he gets introduced to at different events. And it certainly hasn't been passed on to the next generation:

https://youtu.be/R4uo_O7ClFM?t=1673

Last edited by PatrickLondon; 05-01-2017 at 06:32 AM.
Old 05-01-2017, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Greenback View Post
That's the formal protocol though. "Your Majesty" the first time, then "ma'am" subsequently. Any source for the Prince Charles story? It's surprisingly hard to google, due to the unexpectedly vast number of etiquette results.
The source was ex-employees selling their story to the tabloids in the UK about the time he married again. Not the most reliable, I agree, but OTOH ex-employees' tales of life behind the scenes often have a grain of truth in them. And apparently this behaviour dates from after he'd left the services. When people age they often get hidebound so it wouldnt surprise me.

Incidentally he's made no secret of the fact that of all his royal forebears he honours most the memory of George III. That tells you all you need to know about the man. George the fucking Third! The moron who lost us America.

Last edited by aldiboronti; 05-01-2017 at 09:09 AM.
Old 05-01-2017, 02:30 PM

Quote:
The source was ex-employees selling their story to the tabloids in the UK about the time he married again. Not the most reliable, I agree, but OTOH ex-employees' tales of life behind the scenes often have a grain of truth in them. And apparently this behaviour dates from after he'd left the services. When people age they often get hidebound so it wouldnt surprise me.
So you don't really have a source.

Quote:
Incidentally he's made no secret of the fact that of all his royal forebears he honours most the memory of George III. That tells you all you need to know about the man. George the fucking Third! The moron who lost us America.
I venture that Charles's view of George III is perhaps a bit more nuanced than yours.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...d-monarch.html
Old 05-01-2017, 02:39 PM

Quote:
*looks around furtively*

You...uh...you want us back?
Old 05-01-2017, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Yes, there is, but it's nothing new.

It's part of the 'Steward Call System'. Back in the day (1977-1984), I was part of the White House Communications Agency, and I installed, tested, and maintained the system at Camp David and on the road (and other hardware, not just the call system).

I'm sure the underlying technology has changed a bit, but basically it's a radio that send a coded message to the steward 'go to box number 14'. The little wood boxes that are in the pictures making the rounds looks about the same as the system I worked with, except for the red button. On the system I know, the seal was the button.
Old 05-01-2017, 03:47 PM

Quote:
To be clear -- are you asking what they call him in person, or what they call him when he's not in the room?
Old 05-01-2017, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-bonham@scc.net View Post
To be clear -- are you asking what they call him in person, or what they call him when he's not in the room?
Sorry I was not clear. I meant in person. It's like on TV, even his closest aides are calling him Mr. President. (Check out Marilyn Monroe, she called JFK Mr. President, even tho they may have taken siestas together)

As well, I think the same may apply to the outgoing guy, Mr. Obama. Folks must still call him Mr. President.

As an aside, when I lived in Europe I would ask the trick question that stumped folks: "So, what is Obama's surname?"

Another aside, there would be an unbelievably long list of names that the current president is called when out of earshot.
Old 05-02-2017, 10:27 AM
SDSAB

As others have noted, it all depends on the President's individual preferences. Most are called "Mr. President" by all but their closest family and most intimate friends, and then only in private.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenobi 65 View Post
Given who JFK's attorney general was, if this is a true story, it's particularly amusing.
From all I've read, RFK was careful to refer to his brother as "Mr. President" when others were around, but in private would call him "Jack" or even, when he really wanted to make a serious point, "Johnny."

And Jackie's nickname for him was "Bunny."
Old 05-02-2017, 11:02 AM

Aside from the irrelevant, unoriginal digs at the current president, I do find this question interesting. I'm watching Designated Survivor on TV, and everybody except his immediate family calls the prez "Mister President", including people who worked for him when he was at HUD. I suppose it largely depends on the occasion, setting and who else is around, but it seems odd that someone who worked with him for years, or who has been a friend for decades, for example, would call him Mister President, at least more than once or twice.
Old 05-02-2017, 11:07 AM

Quote:
His wife, kids, old friends...? Or they do as well?

I don't call him POTUS or Mr. President. I call him Clown Shoes.

Last edited by CatandMouse; 05-02-2017 at 11:08 AM.
Old 05-02-2017, 11:54 AM

Am I the only one who finds "Mr. President" to be a bizarre construction?
Old 05-02-2017, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Americans aren't as hung up on titles as us Brits. Prince Charles for instance demands that everyone bar close relatives address him as Your Royal Highness on every single occasion they need to speak to him. It's a running joke among his servants. Even the Queen isn't that anal, allowing servants to use Ma'am with her. If the guy ever gets to be king it'll be like Versailles under Louis XIV.
I'm afraid your story can't be true. My parents met him on a number of occasions (formal events, private cocktail parties etc - it was work related), and you are coached in how to address him. 'Your Royal Highness' on first meeting, 'Sir' thereafter.
Old 05-02-2017, 01:51 PM
Charter Member

In a situation like in Designated Survivor, I can see people being extra-careful to observe the formal norms, to emphasize that the individual in question is in fact the President, despite his unusual way of taking the office.
Old 05-02-2017, 02:25 PM

Quote:
George the fucking Third! The moron who lost us America.
Easy there fuzzy little man peach.
George did not "Lose" America, America simply became an untenable position.

You had the northern war, the spanish war, the austrian war, the french constantly poking you in the ribs, and a million other things to contend with within shouting distance.

Why continue to waste time and resources on a bunch of indians and upstarts 1000's of miles across the sea, nothing but a money pit anyways.

As you see, the entire colonial thing went sucking down the tube not even 100 years later anyways.
Old 05-02-2017, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siam Sam View Post
Me.
Also my first thought.
Old 05-02-2017, 03:56 PM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
Canadians.
I'm Canadian and in a typical setting would certainly address a U.S. President as "Mr. President." I'd also address the King of Thailand as "Your Majesty." It's just polite.

That said, I don't HAVE to. It's a courtesy. You really should only use it on first address, though; after that it's "sir."
Old 05-02-2017, 07:11 PM

How, then, would a non-Catholic, or a non-Christian, address the Pope?

However formally polite, would it be hypocritical for a non-believer to address him as "Your Holiness"?

(My own answer: I'm a non-Christian, but I would have no problem calling him "Your Holiness".)
Old 05-02-2017, 07:47 PM

Reminds me of a primary school joke:

Question: "What do you call an elephant with a machine gun?"

Answer: "Sir"
Old 05-02-2017, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyNot View Post
*looks around furtively*

You...uh...you want us back?
Are you kidding me? We could tax you up the wazoo and live high off the hog for a while until you got another rebellion together. And the way you're cooperating with each other these days I figure about 10 years at least on Easy Street.
Old 05-02-2017, 08:04 PM
Charter Member

You do realize that you would be responsible for all of the debt, right?
Old 05-02-2017, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weisshund View Post
Easy there fuzzy little man peach.
Thank you, Weisshund, it's always helpful to have an indication at the commencement of a reply that the rest of the post isn't worth one's time.
Old 05-02-2017, 10:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Are you kidding me? We could tax you up the wazoo and live high off the hog for a while until you got another rebellion together. And the way you're cooperating with each other these days I figure about 10 years at least on Easy Street.
We Canadians will have picked off the good bits by then anyways.
Old 05-04-2017, 12:54 PM

I remember a bit on West Wing in which an old friend of Bartlett's visits him in the Oval Office and wonders how to address him. Bartlett replies, Mr President, because it's a measure of respect for the office.

Those were the days. ((((sob!)))
Old 05-05-2017, 04:32 PM
Intermittently active

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanVito View Post
I'm afraid your story can't be true. My parents met him on a number of occasions (formal events, private cocktail parties etc - it was work related), and you are coached in how to address him. 'Your Royal Highness' on first meeting, 'Sir' thereafter.
That's also what the Buckingham Palace website itself stipulates.
Old 05-06-2017, 12:42 AM

Don't them there Democrats call him "Not my Mr. President"?
Old 05-06-2017, 01:20 AM

My bet is that, when addressing his reflection in the mirror, Trump refers to himself as Mr President.
Old 05-06-2017, 06:47 AM

Quote:
That doesn't seem to be true. There are a lot of disparaging stories about him, like the one about his cook having to boil a dozen eggs at different times so that his will be perfect when it is served. It is true that he does not encourage informality, but I think that to compare him to Louis XIV is stretching it a bit.
Quote:
At 60, after a lifetime of deference, he is acutely aware of his position, as is everyone who works with him. They refer to him as the Boss. To his face all staff, from the most lowly valet to Sir Michael Peat, his powerful Private Secretary, call him Sir or Your Royal Highness.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...g-Charles.html
On the general point about being "hung up on titles"; I don't think that's true at all. I have met a few of the nobility over the years and they universally played it down.

Last edited by bob++; 05-06-2017 at 06:49 AM.
Old 05-06-2017, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Really Not All That Bright View Post
Am I the only one who finds "Mr. President" to be a bizarre construction?
In Ireland, I believe it's usual to say, as it might be at the opening of a speech, just "President". Or at least, it was when they had a female President.