Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-06-2017, 09:34 AM
hakunamatatee hakunamatatee is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 20
Who invented the "Trump Swastika" symbol?

I've been seeing this Trump Swastika symbol everywhere as of late. This symbol is fantastic, of such ingenious design.


Examples:

http://thehill.com/sites/default/fil...?itok=iAX9ZIND

http://i.imgur.com/GL6Lk3p.png

http://www.sanjoseinside.com/wp-cont...gn-336x259.jpg




Where does it come from? Who first designed and drew it?
Advertisements  
  #2  
Old 02-06-2017, 09:49 AM
E-DUB E-DUB is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 3,024
It seems rather self-suggesting so there probably is no single person to whom it can be attributed, and even if there were I wouldn't want to put a target on his back. Some of the donald's supporters aint' wrapped too tight.
  #3  
Old 02-06-2017, 09:58 AM
hakunamatatee hakunamatatee is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-DUB View Post
It seems rather self-suggesting so there probably is no single person to whom it can be attributed, and even if there were I wouldn't want to put a target on his back. Some of the donald's supporters aint' wrapped too tight.
true, it could have had multiple origins, but surely it must have first appeared somewhere.

i don't think anyone would bother to seek out the designer over a simple symbol. I'm just so curious as to where this symbol came from.

Last edited by hakunamatatee; 02-06-2017 at 09:58 AM.
  #4  
Old 02-06-2017, 10:29 AM
hakunamatatee hakunamatatee is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 20
I have done some research.

The earliest known appearance that I can find is of Facthole.

http://facthole.com/post/13397450795...veils-new-logo


There is no exact date, but Snopes places it in Nov 2015.

http://www.snopes.com/donald-trump-swastika-logo/
  #5  
Old 02-06-2017, 10:57 AM
Channing Idaho Banks Channing Idaho Banks is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: beautiful Idaho
Posts: 2,023
I'm going to say that it was an ALT right winger who did this as a tribute.
  #6  
Old 02-06-2017, 11:06 AM
Czarcasm Czarcasm is offline
Charter Member
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Beervania
Posts: 52,825
Quote:
Originally Posted by Channing Idaho Banks View Post
I'm going to say that it was an ALT right winger who did this as a tribute.
In light of evidence to the contrary, why would you say this?
  #7  
Old 02-06-2017, 11:18 AM
Shoeless Shoeless is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: The Sunflower State
Posts: 5,409
It reminds me of the old Sun Microsystems logo.
  #8  
Old 02-06-2017, 11:39 AM
Leo Bloom Leo Bloom is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Here
Posts: 11,517
Quote:
Originally Posted by hakunamatatee View Post
I have done some research.

The earliest known appearance that I can find is of Facthole.

http://facthole.com/post/13397450795...veils-new-logo


There is no exact date, but Snopes places it in Nov 2015.

http://www.snopes.com/donald-trump-swastika-logo/
Yes, and snopes is Facebook's truth-teller. Ask the People's Cube.
  #9  
Old 02-06-2017, 11:41 AM
E-DUB E-DUB is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 3,024
the gold one really brings the swastika out in the middle.
  #10  
Old 02-06-2017, 11:45 AM
Czarcasm Czarcasm is offline
Charter Member
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Beervania
Posts: 52,825
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo Bloom View Post
Yes, and snopes is Facebook's truth-teller. Ask the People's Cube.
Please elaborate. This makes no sense to me.
  #11  
Old 02-06-2017, 10:31 PM
hakunamatatee hakunamatatee is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
It reminds me of the old Sun Microsystems logo.
haha yeah
  #12  
Old 02-06-2017, 10:34 PM
hakunamatatee hakunamatatee is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo Bloom View Post
Yes, and snopes is Facebook's truth-teller. Ask the People's Cube.
Umm, I was just looking for a (time) date.
  #13  
Old 02-06-2017, 10:35 PM
panache45 panache45 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: NE Ohio (the 'burbs)
Posts: 39,272
I'm wondering how many people don't even see the swastika... like the people who can't see the FedEx arrow.
  #14  
Old 02-06-2017, 10:37 PM
hakunamatatee hakunamatatee is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-DUB View Post
the gold one really brings the swastika out in the middle.
the one featured on snopes? cos of the long top-bars probably
  #15  
Old 02-06-2017, 11:01 PM
astro astro is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Taint of creation
Posts: 33,151
I really don't think it "works" as a negative symbol. It's actually quite a clever use of the T and purely regarding geometric aesthetics it's not unattractive.
  #16  
Old 02-07-2017, 04:06 AM
Quartz Quartz is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Home of the haggis
Posts: 27,173
Quote:
Originally Posted by hakunamatatee View Post
I've been seeing this Trump Swastika symbol everywhere as of late. This symbol is fantastic, of such ingenious design.
That is a work of genius.
  #17  
Old 02-07-2017, 09:48 AM
LSLGuy LSLGuy is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Southeast Florida USA
Posts: 19,690
Quote:
Originally Posted by panache45 View Post
I'm wondering how many people don't even see the swastika... like the people who can't see the FedEx arrow.
I doubt there are very many people who can't see the FedEx arrow. There are certainly many who haven't seen it.

Ditto with the negative-space swastika in the T-formation. Probably quite a few people haven't seen it. Once it's been pointed out to them it'll be obvious.

An interesting follow-on question is whether more supporters will embrace the swastika part of the symbol or will insistently pretend not to see it.
  #18  
Old 02-07-2017, 09:57 AM
pulykamell pulykamell is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: SW Side, Chicago
Posts: 41,276
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSLGuy View Post
I doubt there are very many people who can't see the FedEx arrow. There are certainly many who haven't seen it.

Ditto with the negative-space swastika in the T-formation. Probably quite a few people haven't seen it. Once it's been pointed out to them it'll be obvious.

An interesting follow-on question is whether more supporters will embrace the swastika part of the symbol or will insistently pretend not to see it.
The first few times I saw it, I didn't even see the swastika (at least no consciously). But the design of the four "T"s still evoked the swastika, so I got the fascist message. Which makes it extra cool for me, that even not glomming onto the negative space swastika, the message came through.
  #19  
Old 02-07-2017, 10:50 AM
LSLGuy LSLGuy is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Southeast Florida USA
Posts: 19,690
Yeah. I saw the swastika the first time I saw the symbol, but not immediately.

The swastika popped into my awareness only after about 30 seconds of looking at it and thinking about it. The 4 Ts evoking the same general idea was strong even before I'd consciously caught on.

I vaguely recall watching a B movie back in the early 1970s about a totalitarian takeover in the US. IIRC their symbol was similar. It wasn't quite as explicit: there was no swastika, negative space or otherwise. But it still had a 3- or 4-fold circular symmetry and an angular nature that carried the idea plenty forcefully enough.

Last edited by LSLGuy; 02-07-2017 at 10:51 AM.
  #20  
Old 02-07-2017, 12:41 PM
hakunamatatee hakunamatatee is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by astro View Post
I really don't think it "works" as a negative symbol. It's actually quite a clever use of the T and purely regarding geometric aesthetics it's not unattractive.
I did see the swastika pretty quickly the first time I saw it though.


Quote:
Originally Posted by LSLGuy View Post
I vaguely recall watching a B movie back in the early 1970s about a totalitarian takeover in the US. IIRC their symbol was similar.
which movie? anyway, it is no longer fiction now.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Quartz View Post
That is a work of genius.
haha yeah


Quote:
Originally Posted by LSLGuy View Post
An interesting follow-on question is whether more supporters will embrace the swastika part of the symbol or will insistently pretend not to see it.

Last edited by hakunamatatee; 02-07-2017 at 12:43 PM.
  #21  
Old 02-07-2017, 12:47 PM
TimeWinder TimeWinder is offline
Charter Member
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Albany/Corvallis, OR
Posts: 4,156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo Bloom View Post
Yes, and snopes is Facebook's truth-teller. Ask the People's Cube.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
Please elaborate. This makes no sense to me.
See here: http://thepeoplescube.com/peoples-bl...ng-t17417.html If you don't want to waste your time, it's a really-extreme-alt-right source claiming that Snopes is a liberal mouthpiece and that some trivial detail of some story they did wasn't right because they (snopes) didn't understand the "wonder" that is the People's Cube web site.

Or something like that. The actual site is all but unintelligible; it rivals the TimeCube for clarity and detail.
  #22  
Old 02-07-2017, 01:17 PM
LSLGuy LSLGuy is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Southeast Florida USA
Posts: 19,690
Quote:
Originally Posted by hakunamatatee View Post
...
which movie? anyway, it is no longer fiction now.
...
If I knew I'd have said. But with nothing more than a theme and a 5-year timespan to go on I have no idea how to search for candidates.

We're a long way short of that world today. Although I agree we're pointed in a dangerous direction and just beginning to pick up speed.
  #23  
Old 02-12-2017, 03:27 AM
hakunamatatee hakunamatatee is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSLGuy View Post
We're a long way short of that world today. Although I agree we're pointed in a dangerous direction and just beginning to pick up speed.
Dangerous direction indeed.




Do you guys agree with my pick or can you find an earlier source?

Last edited by hakunamatatee; 02-12-2017 at 03:28 AM.
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:00 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@chicagoreader.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Publishers - interested in subscribing to the Straight Dope?
Write to: sdsubscriptions@chicagoreader.com.

Copyright 2017 Sun-Times Media, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017