Old 12-28-2016, 09:16 AM

I see that Snowboarder Boís posted in here so Iím sure that the oddest stuff Iíve ever heard will be in this thread.

As Iím listening through the posts, Iíll mention Billie Holidayís version of "Strange Fruit". Itís a horribly haunting tune that I rarely finish listening to.
Advertisements  
Old 12-28-2016, 09:28 AM

That Ligeti (?) piece in "2001" when Dave is going through the space warp. I first heard that on one of our local creature feature Saturday afternoon movie shows.

That Dead Can Dance piece from "The Mist" when they're escaping from the supermarket.
Old 12-28-2016, 10:02 AM
Charter Jays Fan

Freestyle jazz is often indistinguishable, to someone not familiar with it, with children playing instruments before having had any lessons.

In terms of the oddest thing I've ever heard that is identifiably a song, though - that is, something that is not just nonsense, or experimental, or MEANT to challenge one's assumptions of what a song could be, something that actually got played a lot on the radio - you're going to have to go pretty far to top the B-52s' "Rock Lobster." Of all the songs that most people at least 30-40 years old will recognize, that is surely the weirdest. The song is meant to follow the pattern of a conventional pop song, and it does, but it's just weird. It has a weird arrangement, weird vocals, and weird lyrics. Everyone involved in it is weird, and they play and sing weird.
Old 12-28-2016, 10:02 AM

One problem I'm having is, much of the strangest stuff I've heard is so obscure I can't find it online.
Old 12-28-2016, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biotop View Post
The Residents are the ultimate choice for odd. Here is the entire Diskomo/Goosebump from 1980. The first half is Eskimo disco music. The second half is a collection of nursery rhyme songs played on instruments purchased from Toys R Us.
I actually have this on vinyl. One of the few records I have.
Old 12-28-2016, 10:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plumpudding View Post
One problem I'm having is, much of the strangest stuff I've heard is so obscure I can't find it online.
Agreed. I get excited when I see threads like this and find others who are interested in this type of music. So much to share, but a lot of it is just not out there to link.

Here's a fun one:

Complacent American by The German Shepherds from back in 1985. It might become more relevant in the coming months.
Old 12-28-2016, 10:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I actually have this on vinyl. One of the few records I have.
Me too. I have a few hundred old vinyl (I can spell it right after coffee)records. Some were damaged by mildew when I was forced to live in a damp basement for a while a couple of decades ago. I replaced most of them on CD, but there's a bunch of old Residents, Renaldo, TG, etc upstairs gathering dust. My turntable died years ago.
Old 12-28-2016, 10:59 AM

Obligatory Die TŲdeliche Doris link.

At Biotop - I'm also in a position where I feel I shouldn't shamelessly self-promote, even though I'm tempted. I've been involved in the Norwegian noise-music scene for a while now, alone or in various collaborations, and the output could definitely be classified as odd.
Old 12-28-2016, 11:10 AM
BANNED

Koyaanisqatsi (1982)
Old 12-28-2016, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Mr. Mustard View Post
I've always enjoyed Earth To Doris by Was (Not Was).

Anyone else familiar with it?

mmm
What about "Dad, I'm in Jail" from the same album?
Old 12-28-2016, 12:43 PM

I got nuthin'
Old 12-28-2016, 01:28 PM

Fe-Mail feat. Lasse Marhaug
Old 12-28-2016, 04:02 PM

Danish DJ Hvad with Cocain Salsa.
Old 12-28-2016, 04:04 PM
Charter Member

Pretty much any music sung by Donovan.
Years ago I heard a cover of Peter and the Wolf played with different instruments. Wish I knew who did it.
Old 12-28-2016, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shunpiker View Post
I see that Snowboarder Boís posted in here so Iím sure that the oddest stuff Iíve ever heard will be in this thread.
Aw, shucks! I'm gonna go ahead and take that as a compliment! Thanks, shunpiker!

I had to make a video to share this with folks here (and with the world in general). Way back in the 1980s when I was in college, we booked a show with this guy who turned out to be a piano player who was traveling the country in his beat up station wagon, playing shows and peddling his wares. People from the San Francisco area may have seen him; he is one of the weirdest, most insanely talented and talently insane people I have ever met. Nearly 30 years after doing audio for his show, it remains one of the most memorable shows I have ever seen and/or been a part of, and I've done thousands of shows in my lifetime. This guy knows more than 2000 songs by heart; he can play nearly anything you can name with no delay, from classical to punk rock to commercial jingles to doo-wop songs to arena rock. His own songs are, um, inimitable, tho; I can pretty much guarantee that you've never heard anything like D.J. Lebowitz - Airplane.
Old 12-28-2016, 07:26 PM
Charter Member

John Bartles is an amazingly original musician. This might be my favorite of his songs - listen til the end (3:55).
Old 12-28-2016, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by F. U. Shakespeare View Post
John Bartles is an amazingly original musician. This might be my favorite of his songs - listen til the end (3:55).
Thanks; I really like this. I didn't find the ending a huge deal; more like the logical conclusion for the song.

I'll contribute an oldie but a goodie, and from a namesake to boot: John Trubee - Blind Man's Penis

ETA: Fun fact: In 1985, John Trubee became the first person to interview Jandek! Jandek would not have another interview for like 14 years when a reporter for the Texas Monthly, Katy Vine tracked him down using property and tax records. Jandek & Me.

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 12-28-2016 at 08:20 PM.
Old 12-28-2016, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
Thanks; I really like this. I didn't find the ending a huge deal; more like the logical conclusion for the song.

I'll contribute an oldie but a goodie, and from a namesake to boot: John Trubee - Blind Man's Penis

ETA: Fun fact: In 1985, John Trubee became the first person to interview Jandek! Jandek would not have another interview for like 14 years when a reporter for the Texas Monthly, Katy Vine tracked him down using property and tax records. Jandek & Me.
I've been friends with John for a long time on FB. He's quite a character.
Old 12-28-2016, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crafter_Man View Post
I've been friends with John for a long time on FB. He's quite a character.
That totally fucking rocks! Tell him I said "hi"!
Old 12-28-2016, 09:21 PM

Chicken Train
Old 12-28-2016, 09:49 PM

Toy Cows in Africa.

I think this song may be what a lobotomy feels like.
Old 12-28-2016, 10:12 PM

Then there's Evidently Chickentown, familiar to Sopranos fans as the soundtrack to one of the best episode endings of the series.
Old 12-28-2016, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranchoth View Post
Toy Cows in Africa.

I think this song may be what a lobotomy feels like.
Nice nomination! Got to be some hidden reason.

Last edited by River Hippie; 12-28-2016 at 10:18 PM.
Old 12-29-2016, 12:26 AM
Charter Member

Phurpa: wal-phur nag- po. Make of it what you will.
Old 12-29-2016, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biotop View Post
Phurpa: wal-phur nag- po. Make of it what you will.
That totally fucking rocks! Already ordered a copy from Russia! Thanks very much for the introduction!
Old 12-29-2016, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie The Horrible View Post
I got nuthin'
Eddie, weren't you the one who posted the songs by the sisters that were made to play music by their father, without having had lessons? If so, who were they again?

I don't know that they performed the ODDEST piece of music I've ever heard, but I feel like they are in the discussion.
Old 12-29-2016, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Face Intentionally Left Blank View Post
Eddie, weren't you the one who posted the songs by the sisters that were made to play music by their father, without having had lessons? If so, who were they again?

I don't know that they performed the ODDEST piece of music I've ever heard, but I feel like they are in the discussion.
The Shaggs

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 12-29-2016 at 02:05 AM.
Old 12-29-2016, 04:00 AM

Anders Flanders is definitely more funny than artsy, but pretty weird just the same.
Old 12-29-2016, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Thank you. . .I think. My gratefulness in having my question answered is somewhat tempered by the subject matter

Since I intend to torture friends with this, and since I DID ask for it. . .then yes. Yes, I believe thanks ARE in order. However, I feel I must withhold the ritualistic throwing of "stuff" into the quarry. Sorry.
Old 12-29-2016, 04:26 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
That totally fucking rocks! Tell him I said "hi"!
Me too!
Old 12-29-2016, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Aw, shucks! I'm gonna go ahead and take that as a compliment! Thanks, shunpiker!

<snip>.
Straight from the heart, Bo. Though, you've some strong competition in here.
Old 12-29-2016, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
Somewhat reminds me of Locust...
Awesome, dude - of the trillions of live bands I've seen and played with, The Locust (aaawwww....http://www.kindamuzik.net/gfx/locust-live2-0404.jpg...) are one of the most abominably insane live acts I've seen. When I saw them in 2002, I thought they mopped the stage with Dillinger Escape Plan, and if you know DEP, that's sumpin.

PLAY ALL THIS SHIT AS LOUD AS POSSIBLE...

Not-Quite-Mary-Had-A-Little-Lamb'isms on the keyboard here will get you punching walls and picking fights in no time.
- quite singable.

James Chance and the Contortions
- NYC no wave classic.

The Longshoremen
- pissed that I could not locate ANYWHERE Cindy The Shack Girl, which is, unequivocally, their greatest song.

Death Grips
- like to see these guys but apparently they can't get past the border.

For those in a fast mood, I give you Braindrill
- drummer not quite as crazy as he normally is - a bit laid back, here.

really - you don't want me to get started. That shit's easy listening compared to other shit.

fine as expected offerings, Snowboarder Bo.
Old 12-29-2016, 11:23 PM

missed edit window - the James Chance link - just pick the top video Contort Yourself when you get to that youtube page.

Last edited by Guest-starring: Id!; 12-29-2016 at 11:24 PM. Reason: I just like seeing this editing field at the bottom of my post
Old 12-29-2016, 11:45 PM

Years ago I became aware of one extreme case of electronica where even the voice is artificial.

Double odd, in the sense that it is an artificial singer and weird music:

I thought it was odd to have an artificial singer, and I though that just trying to replicate a singer's voice was odd, but not so extraordinary. But then some of the guys using the vocaloid tool figured out that they had an artificial singer so they should use it to do bits that would be impossible for human singers.

I like 2 examples:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zC-zPJAFfXY
The Disappearance of Hatsune Miku

Perfect for the end of the world background music when all communications around the world fall silent IMO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvTH7J2shuI
Hatsune Miku - "裏表ラバーズ(Two-Faced Lovers)
Drama between lovers, unintended pregnancy, described at 100MPH (How an android/artificial being like Miku gets pregnant is not explained )
Old 12-29-2016, 11:47 PM
Charter Member

Noises of Russia
Old 12-30-2016, 12:04 AM

I can't believe that I, or anyone else here, hadn't thought of this sooner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qB-nGVqNciE

Styx' "Plexiglass Toilet Choir", a song people usually do not believe exists until they hear it, and maybe not even then. It was a "Dr. Demento" favorite for many years.
Old 12-30-2016, 12:14 AM

Juan Munoz/Gavin Bryars Ensemble: A Man in a Room, Gambling #8

Wonderfully odd and oddly soothing on a dark, rainy night.
Old 12-30-2016, 03:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickJay View Post
Freestyle jazz is often indistinguishable, to someone not familiar with it, with children playing instruments before having had any lessons.

In terms of the oddest thing I've ever heard that is identifiably a song, though - that is, something that is not just nonsense, or experimental, or MEANT to challenge one's assumptions of what a song could be, something that actually got played a lot on the radio - you're going to have to go pretty far to top the B-52s' "Rock Lobster." Of all the songs that most people at least 30-40 years old will recognize, that is surely the weirdest. The song is meant to follow the pattern of a conventional pop song, and it does, but it's just weird. It has a weird arrangement, weird vocals, and weird lyrics. Everyone involved in it is weird, and they play and sing weird.
You hit on something very important here.

The weirdest stuff is the stuff you can almost recognize, which is familiar enough to draw you in and keep you engaged but which is off somehow. It's similar to the uncanny valley effect: If something is a random agglomeration of parts, there's nothing to it. It isn't scary. It's just a mess. However, if something is mostly human-like, but moves in fits and starts, or unnaturally smoothly, and has recognizable eyes which just... never... blink or look away, it's going to keep you up nights.

Similarly, music which a music theorist finds weird because it has reticulated sevenths in every place a normal, sane composer would use an arpeggiated inverse chord with twenty-thirds, well, to the normal, Clapton-fearing, non-music-theoretical person, that's just going to sound like a piano being fed to a wood chipper. It won't have enough of what that average person would recognize as structure to sound like anything at all, let alone anything notably weird. It'll be as normal as road construction, and about as musical.

OTOH, the B-52's are a pop band. They make pop songs. They make pop songs with weird musicianship and bizarre vocal qualities and singular lyrics, but they still have something for the average person to hang their head on. Similarly, Wall of Voodoo's cover of "Ring of Fire" isn't nearly as experimental as Stockhausen, but it's weird as opposed to unintelligible.
Old 12-30-2016, 06:50 AM

As I remarked in this thread ( http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/...=726870&page=2 )

Quote:
You want weird?

Stargazing by Donald Erb, a piece in several movements.

"The Stars Come Out" had various instruments producing apparently random brief notes, but the number and concentration increased as the piece progressed, duplicating the appearance of the stars in the evening. "Comets, Meteors, and Shooting Stars" gave us appropriately swooshing sounds. "The Surface of the Sun" featured a lot of flutter-tongued brass notes, I suppose to duplicate solar prominences and flares. taped electronic music backed up my high school symphonic band when we played this.

Here's one description:

"Combines traditional and non-traditional elements with electronically produced sounds to uncover a new world of band sonorities. "Each of its three movements concerns itself with exploring a different sound sphere. The first movement employs a quasi-aleotory technique to build tension through increasing density; the second movement is a scintillating interplay of brief chromatic fragments; the third movement throws bright stabs of light against an ominously rumbling background. The taped sounds add a unique dimension to the work." (Taken from program notes)

http://www.und.nodak.edu/instruct/knorman/521/new.html

Someone told me that, as he walked off the stage (to uncertain applause) our bandmaster remarked "That's my joke on the high school."

Here's some other school doing it. :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyycdNQildQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlJFOYr2GaM

In a completely different vein, I think that Charles Ives' Variations on "America" is wonderfully off-the-wall. He basically takes "My Country 'tis of Thee" and -- how to put this -- makes it sound like other pieces of music. He apparently composed it when he was 17. He said that they wouldn't let him play it very often, because it made people laugh, and it got stored away until organist E. Power Biggs rediscovered it in 1949. The original piece was for organ, but it was later orchestrated.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variat..._%22America%22
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivWut4jfC4c
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UZq09F9RR4

Walter/Wendy Carlos did something similar with Pompous Circumstances, which take the Elgar classic and forces it into the form of other familiar pieces, including the opening to "Also Sprach Zarathustra" from 2001. All played on the synthesizer, of course. It's on his album Water Carlos, by Request

http://www.wendycarlos.com/+br.html
Old 12-30-2016, 10:49 AM

This oddity just came to mind. You won't want to waste your time listening to the whole immemorable song, but cue into 1:10, and listen to the little bridge, where the singer harmonizes her voice with a screechy instrument, to give the effect of a voice synthesizer, which I though was wonderfully clever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RV-O...4046A4B9425E66

Last edited by jtur88; 12-30-2016 at 10:49 AM.
Old 12-30-2016, 11:24 AM
Uncharted
Charter Member

Just remembered Chickenwolf.
Old 12-30-2016, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddha_david View Post
Mr. Bungle is pretty damn strange whilst remaining mostly listenable, and sometimes downright catchy.
Mike Patton released an "album" of himself grunting, screaming, and other vocal nonsense, followed by a more musical but still quite abstract album of strange, atmospheric soundscapes, followed by an album of covers of Italian pop songs from the 50s and 60s, backed by a 40-person orchestra and 15-member band. Not to mention his half-dozen other bands and side projects. He is one very talented and very strange man.
Old 12-30-2016, 12:04 PM

the weirdest I personally have come across is Emil Richards: New Sound Element Stones (1966). It was at the beginning of the synthesizer movement, and features offbeat beats.

The album was given to me by a friend when I was about 12, and there was a sticker on the shrinkwrap that said "3/$1.00". Even 45 years ago, it was in the cheapest of the cheap bargain bins.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcRb...JfG4uU7kD2y-dR
Old 12-30-2016, 10:01 PM

My brother gave me a vinyl LP years ago featuring Stuart Margolin (Angel from "Rockford Files") crooning several songs. I couldn't make it past the first track. ::shudder::
Old 12-31-2016, 05:49 AM

I'm partial to The Pretty Little Dolly, myself...
Old 12-31-2016, 07:58 AM

I imagine this one is pretty well known, but I love it. Butthole Surfers - Lady Sniff.
Old 12-31-2016, 11:36 AM

Quote:
One of the most profoundly "making me see the light" songs of the 80s for me.

The Nihilist Spasm Band (London, Ontario) has been doing their thing for a while now. They're really into home-made instruments, like taking a kick pedal and connecting it to a bracket that can hold loud, clangy things like stop signs for the pedal to slam against. (Its ensuing racket, I can assure you, is fucking annoying, hence ironically entertaining.)

https://weirdcanada.com/2015/11/infe...st-spasm-band/

[I like how in the lower (colour) photo everyone's beaming, but in the upper one (in an earlier incarnation) everyone's all hipster serious, except for possibly those two smirkers on the far right.]

Quote:
Music historians are hard pressed to pin down other groups tapping similar musical veins as far back as 1965, and even early Canadian innovators such as multi-disciplinary artist Michael Snow and Toronto avant-garde group Intersystems were still a few years away from making their marks in sound at this early crest of the í60s subcultural tidal wave. ďWe were all greatly influenced by kindergarten rhythm bands and Guy Lombardo,Ē admits Pratten, when I ask him what they were listening to at the time.
bolded for the thumbs up.

To further qualify that quote - sure, there were individuals well before '65 experimenting musically, but definitely not in a co-op context like these guys.

possibly topical lyrics @ :019

gigging with the hippest

this should make you more or less swoon
Old 12-31-2016, 12:36 PM

Man, I just knew someone would beat me to Who's Afraid by The Art of Noise. Long a favorite of mine. Ignore the video.

Last edited by epbrown01; 12-31-2016 at 12:37 PM.
Old 12-31-2016, 02:06 PM
Charter Member

Anhedonia-- Andrew Liles
Old 12-31-2016, 04:45 PM

cows with guns .... its a sort of parody of the "cowboy balladeer" but I thought it was funny as hell for a while .....and I request it on a lot of country stations but only one station ever played it for me and that was because the morning guy was mainly comedy skits and such