Old 01-28-2017, 09:59 AM

How many Countries have you been in snow?

How many countries have you been in snow?

This is a little different from the question about states. Which countries have you actually been in the snow, where you did or could have walked in snow falling or on the ground.

Supplementary list, if you wish, of countries where you could see snow on distant mountains.

Me, actually in snow: USA, Canada, Mexico, Chile, Argentina, Bolivia, Jordan, Lesotho, Italy, France, St. Pierre et Miquelon.

Seen from distance: Kenya, Tanzania, India, Nepal, Kyrgyzstan, China, and probably some others less memorable. Greenland and Switzerland from the air.

Last edited by jtur88; 01-28-2017 at 10:00 AM.
Old 01-28-2017, 10:28 AM
Charter Member

USA, Canada, Hungary, Croatia, Bosnia, Germany, Slovakia, Czech Republic, Poland, Austria, Russia, Australia. There may be a couple more I'm forgetting.
Old 01-28-2017, 10:34 AM
Charter Member

USA, Canada, Germany, Sweden, Norway, Russia, Japan, France, Austria, Czechoslovakia, Bulgaria, Spain (at Grenada), Switzerland.
Old 01-28-2017, 12:07 PM

USA, Canada, Germany, Australia, Tanzania, Chile, Ecuador
Old 01-28-2017, 01:00 PM

Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, Iran, the United Kingdom, Switzerland, the United States, Turkey.

Does indoor snow count? Then the UAE.
Old 01-28-2017, 01:25 PM
Charter Member

Canada, US, France.
Old 01-28-2017, 01:36 PM

US, Canada, Argentina, Ireland, Austria, and, most spectacularly, Mexico (climbing Iztaccihuatl).

ETA -- seen from distance: New Zealand, France, Italy, Switzerland, Peru

Last edited by JKellyMap; 01-28-2017 at 01:39 PM.
Old 01-28-2017, 01:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
USA, Canada, Hungary, Croatia, Bosnia, Germany, Slovakia, Czech Republic, Poland, Austria, Russia, Australia. There may be a couple more I'm forgetting.
Ah, yes, Scotland atop Ben Nevis.
Old 01-28-2017, 01:46 PM

USA and the Netherlands. Most of my foreign trips occur in warmer months.
Old 01-28-2017, 02:04 PM
Charter Member

Just the USA. Only been to foreign countries in the summer, including Canada.

ETA: although if London got slightly more snow I'd like to visit it during the winter because the monuments and buildings probably look a lot better with a reliable dusting of snow, but from what I hear, that happens rarely.

Last edited by Ludovic; 01-28-2017 at 02:06 PM.
Old 01-28-2017, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludovic View Post
J

ETA: although if London got slightly more snow I'd like to visit it during the winter because the monuments and buildings probably look a lot better with a reliable dusting of snow, but from what I hear, that happens rarely.

Would not wish London in the snow on my worst enemy. The place goes half way to hell when a quarter inch falls. Everything is shut down for days it seems.

The British are a strange race. Conquering the world? No problem chaps. Dealing with slightly inclement weather? Buggered. What can we do.
Old 01-28-2017, 02:21 PM

Afghanistan, Albania, Algeria, Andorra, Angola, Antigua and Barbuda, Argentina, Armenia, Australia, Austria, Azerbaijan, Bahamas, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Barbados, Belarus, Belgium, Belize, Benin, Bhutan, Bolivia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Botswana, Brazil, Brobdingnag, Brunei Darussalam, Bulgaria, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cabo Verde, Cambodia, Cameroon, Canada, Central African Republic, Chad, Chile, China, Colombia, Comoros, Congo, Costa Rica, Côte d'Ivoire, Croatia, Cuba, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Democratic People's Republic of Korea (North Korea), Democratic Republic of the Cong, Denmark, Djibouti, Dominica, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, Egypt, El Salvador, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Estonia, Ethiopia, Fiji, Finland, France, Gabon, Gambia, Georgia, Germany, Ghana, Greece, Grenada, Guatemala, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Guyana, Haiti, Honduras, Hungary, Iceland, India, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Jamaica, Japan, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kenya, Kiribati, Kuwait, Kyrgyzstan, Lao People's Democratic Republic (Laos), Latvia, Lebanon, Lesotho, Liberia, Libya, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Macedonia, Madagascar, Malawi, Malaysia, Maldives, Mali, Malta, Marshall Islands, Mauritania, Mauritius, Mexico, Micronesia (Federated States of), Monaco, Mongolia, Montenegro, Morocco, Mozambique, Myanmar, Namibia, Narnia, Nauru, Nepal, Netherlands, New Zealand, Nicaragua, Niger, Nigeria, Norway, Oman, Pakistan, Palau, Panama, Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Peru, Philippines, Poland, Portugal, Qatar, Republic of Korea (South Korea), Republic of Moldova, Romania, Russian Federation, Rwanda, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Samoa, San Marino, Sao Tome and Principe, Saudi Arabia, Senegal, Serbia, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, Solomon Islands, Somalia, South Africa, South Sudan, Spain, Sri Lanka, Sudan, Suriname, Swaziland, Sweden, Switzerland, Syrian Arab Republic, Tajikistan, Thailand, Timor-Leste, Togo, Tonga, Trinidad and Tobago, Tunisia, Turkey, Turkmenistan, Tuvalu, Uganda, Ukraine, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, United Republic of Tanzania, United States of America, Uruguay, Uzbekistan, Vanuatu, Venezuela, Vietnam, Yemen, Zambia, Zimbabwe.

Most of them twice.
Old 01-28-2017, 02:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK84 View Post

Would not wish London in the snow on my worst enemy. The place goes half way to hell when a quarter inch falls. Everything is shut down for days it seems.

The British are a strange race. Conquering the world? No problem chaps. Dealing with slightly inclement weather? Buggered. What can we do.
And ironically add rain to the list of slightly inclement weather despite its metaphorical Englishness. When everyone rushed in to cover when there was a drizzle in Hyde Park I wasn't sure if it was a lot of non-English people freaking out. Then when the sidewalks turned to rivers in the drizzle I realized that that "heavy" of a rain was not normal in England or else they would have engineered the sidewalks better. And the nail in the coffin was when I was running in the drizzle in the Cotswolds and my running mates said "looks like you packed for the English weather!" when they saw my waterproof windbreaker but I was only using it because I had it: I wouldn't have regretted it if I hadn't had it.

Of course, people who aren't from Florida's mileage may vary.

Last edited by Ludovic; 01-28-2017 at 02:32 PM.
Old 01-28-2017, 04:26 PM

US, Canada, England, Germany, Italy, Japan, Norway
Old 01-28-2017, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobDog View Post
Most of them twice.
Old 01-28-2017, 07:25 PM
Charter Member

In snow? The USA, Germany, China, Mexico.
Old 01-28-2017, 07:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Afghanistan, Albania, Algeria, Andorra, Angola, Antigua and Barbuda, Argentina, Armenia, Australia, Austria, Azerbaijan, Bahamas, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Barbados, Belarus, Belgium, Belize, Benin, Bhutan, Bolivia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Botswana, Brazil, Brobdingnag, Brunei Darussalam, Bulgaria, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cabo Verde, Cambodia, Cameroon, Canada, Central African Republic, Chad, Chile, China, Colombia, Comoros, Congo, Costa Rica, Côte d'Ivoire, Croatia, Cuba, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Democratic People's Republic of Korea (North Korea), Democratic Republic of the Cong, Denmark, Djibouti, Dominica, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, Egypt, El Salvador, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Estonia, Ethiopia, Fiji, Finland, France, Gabon, Gambia, Georgia, Germany, Ghana, Greece, Grenada, Guatemala, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Guyana, Haiti, Honduras, Hungary, Iceland, India, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Jamaica, Japan, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kenya, Kiribati, Kuwait, Kyrgyzstan, Lao People's Democratic Republic (Laos), Latvia, Lebanon, Lesotho, Liberia, Libya, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Macedonia, Madagascar, Malawi, Malaysia, Maldives, Mali, Malta, Marshall Islands, Mauritania, Mauritius, Mexico, Micronesia (Federated States of), Monaco, Mongolia, Montenegro, Morocco, Mozambique, Myanmar, Namibia, Narnia, Nauru, Nepal, Netherlands, New Zealand, Nicaragua, Niger, Nigeria, Norway, Oman, Pakistan, Palau, Panama, Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Peru, Philippines, Poland, Portugal, Qatar, Republic of Korea (South Korea), Republic of Moldova, Romania, Russian Federation, Rwanda, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Samoa, San Marino, Sao Tome and Principe, Saudi Arabia, Senegal, Serbia, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, Solomon Islands, Somalia, South Africa, South Sudan, Spain, Sri Lanka, Sudan, Suriname, Swaziland, Sweden, Switzerland, Syrian Arab Republic, Tajikistan, Thailand, Timor-Leste, Togo, Tonga, Trinidad and Tobago, Tunisia, Turkey, Turkmenistan, Tuvalu, Uganda, Ukraine, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, United Republic of Tanzania, United States of America, Uruguay, Uzbekistan, Vanuatu, Venezuela, Vietnam, Yemen, Zambia, Zimbabwe.

Most of them twice.
I call bullshit on this.
Old 01-28-2017, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefguy View Post
I call bullshit on this.
Well OK. Maybe not Narnia.
Old 01-28-2017, 07:45 PM
Charter Member

Just one. I don't get about much.

New Zealand.
Old 01-28-2017, 09:36 PM

I do not "do" snow. As a result, the US, Canada and Germany. In Germany I scurried back to my hotel until the danger passed.
Old 01-28-2017, 09:59 PM

Only my home country of Canada. I've been to other countries, but only in the spring or summer.
Old 01-28-2017, 10:07 PM
Charter Member

I don't count having seen snow in a country unless I've seen snow in every city within that country. I've seen snow in 19 countries so far.
Old 01-28-2017, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear_Nenno View Post
I don't count having seen snow in a country unless I've seen snow in every city within that country. I've seen snow in 19 countries so far.
You've been to every city in nineteen countries?
Old 01-28-2017, 10:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
... Fiji, ... Qatar, ... Singapore, ...
Quote:
I call bullshit on this.
I agree with Chefguy: some countries never have any snow, so RobDog's list includes some impossibilities.

As for me, the list is Australia, Canada, England, West Germany and the United States.
Old 01-28-2017, 10:30 PM

Quote:
I call bullshit on this.
You mean I should scratch snowboarding off the list of activities to do in the Seychelles?
Old 01-28-2017, 10:34 PM

Oh, I forgot.

Austria, Czech Republic, Germany, India, Japan, Korea and Nepal.
Old 01-28-2017, 10:38 PM
The Central Scrutinizer

U.S., Canada, Germany, Austria, Switzerland
Old 01-28-2017, 10:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Well OK. Maybe not Narnia.
I'm pretty sure Samoa is right out as well.
Old 01-28-2017, 10:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Personal View Post
You've been to every city in nineteen countries?
No, those are just the ones in which I've seen snow in every city.
Old 01-28-2017, 11:00 PM

Just this week, I got to add Finland to my list, which also includes China, the US, England and Germany. It's freaking cold in Finland in January.

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk
Old 01-29-2017, 01:51 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

In snow: USA.

Seen from a distance: Canada, from across Niagara Falls three or four years ago. Many years ago I visited Niagara Falls, Ontario, in winter or early spring, but I don't think there was snow on the ground.
Old 01-30-2017, 11:16 AM

US, Canada, Germany, New Zealand, Switzerland, The Netherlands, Austria, Italy, England. After that, I stopped doing winter.
Old 01-30-2017, 02:03 PM

US and Canada. I get enough snow at home that I try and time my visits to other countries for times when snow is not an option.
Old 01-30-2017, 02:35 PM

USA
Old 01-30-2017, 05:55 PM
Charter Member

I guess I could add New Zealand to my list. I forgot the visits to the glaciers, and there was snow at the top of those mountains.
Old 01-30-2017, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giles View Post
I agree with Chefguy: some countries never have any snow, so RobDog's list includes some impossibilities.

As for me, the list is Australia, Canada, England, West Germany and the United States.
There's snow in Panama ... up on the highest mountains ... though I never saw it when I was there ... I didn't see any snow in Canada or Mexico either ... so just the USA and whatever you call that country east of the Sierra Nevadas ...
Old 01-30-2017, 09:18 PM

Quote:
I call bullshit on this.
Yeah, I'm kind of doubting the snow in Mauritius, the UAE and Marshall Islands, just to name a few really unlikely countries.
Old 01-30-2017, 09:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bump View Post
Yeah, I'm kind of doubting the snow in Mauritius, the UAE and Marshall Islands, just to name a few really unlikely countries.
I'm not sure: i'd tend to agree absent conflicting evidence. After all, by looking at other threads it appears that our illustrious OP has been to quite a few countries himself so I have no cause to doubt others have shared in his experience.
Old 01-30-2017, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Quote:
No, those are just the ones in which I've seen snow in every city.
This rule is completely nonsensical. By this rule, I haven't seen snow in the United States because somehow I missed all the snow on my trips to Miami, Los Angeles, San Antonio,...
Old 01-31-2017, 01:03 AM

One. Canada. One is enough, thank you very much. The Devil's Dandruff, it is.
Old 01-31-2017, 01:45 AM

USA, Turkey, Georgia, Czech Republic, Russia, Iran
Old 01-31-2017, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Brunei Darussalam ... Maldives
Snow? In Brunei? In the Maldives?

I think not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bump View Post
It snowed in R.A.K. UAE while I was living there, but I was in Dubai and didn't see it.

Last edited by Desert Nomad; 01-31-2017 at 01:49 AM.
Old 01-31-2017, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Nomad View Post
Snow? In Brunei? In the Maldives?
Quote:
... Brobdingnag... Brunei... Maldives... Narnia...

Most of them twice.
Twice I tell you.
Old 01-31-2017, 06:50 AM
Charter Member

Just the USA, Canada;

UK if you count flurries.
Old 01-31-2017, 07:46 AM
Charter Member

USA, Ireland, the students went crazy since they never really see it, Russia and Switzerland. I was way up in the mountains in Switzerland in June and have a photo of my motorcycle next to the six plus feet of snow they had plowed through.
Old 01-31-2017, 08:39 AM

I've actually been in snow in the US, Canada, and Scotland (I was there on the shortest day of the year. It got dark by 3 and snowed. Guys were STILL out playing soccer. In shorts.)

I've SEEN snow in others -- Switzerland, France, Italy -- but wasn't among the snow myself.