Old 01-18-2017, 11:45 PM

Several decades ago I drove a Triumph Spitfire softtop convertible. Away for several days, I left the car in the unenclosed apartment building parking lot. The car could be entered by simply unbuttoning the softtop, so I didn't lock the doors.

When I came back, I saw the softtop had been cut to make room for an arm. The thief didn't even think to unbutton the top, let alone test the unlocked door. He'd broken into the car to steal the radio but, although he had managed to damage it, he never got the radio out there was a screw and nut in the back he'd neglected to loosen.

(I see I've been Ninja'ed by very similar stories from Hilarity N. Suze and aurora maire. )
Advertisements  
Old 01-19-2017, 12:50 AM

I use to work on the 10th floor of a high rise across the street from the hotel where all of the VIPs would stay when in town.

Vicente Fox while he was the President of Mexico and the street was blocked off, there were dozens of police cars and black SUVs waiting for him, he must have been late because they were all standing around talking or looking bored.

I noticed half a dozen running towards the McDonalds across the street where they arrested a man for completing a drug deal in front of them.
Old 01-19-2017, 03:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rat avatar View Post
I use to work on the 10th floor of a high rise across the street from the hotel where all of the VIPs would stay when in town.

Vicente Fox while he was the President of Mexico and the street was blocked off, there were dozens of police cars and black SUVs waiting for him, he must have been late because they were all standing around talking or looking bored.

I noticed half a dozen running towards the McDonalds across the street where they arrested a man for completing a drug deal in front of them.
Ha! Dude must have figured "Mexican cops -- they won't care."
Old 01-19-2017, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Spayed PI View Post
In the good old days, it used to be quite common for people to steal car antennae (why, I can't tell you). Consequently, it was also quite common for people to replace their antennae with wire coat hangers (which work remarkably well, actually).
Not sure how far back the "good old days" to which you refer go, but it is my understanding that back in the '50s and '60s, car antennae could be used to make zip guns or could be used as an impromptu whip when brawling in the street.

= = = = =

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantastic View Post
Someone stole the windshield wiper blades off of a friend's car while it was parked in NYC. They cost less than $5 and don't seem to have a lot of resale value. We were just baffled by it, and joked about him fencing them a guy with a heavy jacket that opens to reveal a bunch of bootleg windshield wipers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschereal View Post
Was it in a neighborhood where a lot of Russians lived?
Possibly explaining eschereal's statement: I remember reading something a few years ago in a magazine -- Reader's Digest, probably -- that in Russia, windshield wipers were a semi-precious commodity, so drivers typically did not keep the blades on the car. Then, when it started to rain, the roads would temporarily clear while all the drivers pulled over and attached the wiper blades.
Old 01-19-2017, 11:31 AM

Not something that I witnessed but I heard from one of the participants. A bunch of soldiers in AIT (Advanced Individual Training) at Ft. Gordon were ripping off the Coke machines by putting a length of scotch tape on the dollar bills so they could pull them back out. The machine registers the money going in so the perps would get a free drink and 50 cents change. Now if you're not too stupid, you might do that once or twice, get your free drink and a laugh and then smarten up and knock it off. If you're stupid, you might keep doing it so the people who own the machine figure out they're getting ripped off and have the Military Police investigate. If you're really, really stupid, you would do it a lot and fill your locker with unconsumed cans of drinks and a drawer full of quarters. Guess what the MPs found in one guy's locker.
Old 01-20-2017, 08:47 AM

Someone broke into our minivan once. They tried to pry open one of the side windows with a crowbar and failed. Then they smashed the passenger window. The only thing stolen was my work bag which had my Discworld paperback and random papers.

(Sorry, no laptop)

They ignored the two car seats which would be at least $50 each and the new clothes in the back.
Old 01-20-2017, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigene View Post
I came home, the screen was off the window, items on the desk were knocked over, nothing was missing.

But the shower was wet, the soap and shampoo had been moved and the towel was still damp.
Sounds like.....they made a clean getaway
Old 01-20-2017, 01:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intergalactic Gladiator View Post
Not something that I witnessed but I heard from one of the participants. A bunch of soldiers in AIT (Advanced Individual Training) at Ft. Gordon were ripping off the Coke machines by putting a length of scotch tape on the dollar bills so they could pull them back out. The machine registers the money going in so the perps would get a free drink and 50 cents change. Now if you're not too stupid, you might do that once or twice, get your free drink and a laugh and then smarten up and knock it off. If you're stupid, you might keep doing it so the people who own the machine figure out they're getting ripped off and have the Military Police investigate. If you're really, really stupid, you would do it a lot and fill your locker with unconsumed cans of drinks and a drawer full of quarters. Guess what the MPs found in one guy's locker.
Submarine ... Northern run of [as I remember] 5 months <Stops in Holy Loch Scotland, Tromso Norway, wander around under the arctic ice pack, then back through Tromso and Holy Loch> So ... you steal stuff that your boatmates bought and stash it in you locker ... stuff like fairly unique tankards, tshirts, foreign military uniform parts [including a soviet Ushanka with insignia] all that got reported when the owners noticed the thefts. Triggered a locker and space search while between ports so there was no possibility to offload stuff to a fence...
Old 01-20-2017, 05:03 PM

A nice article and list of other 'You have only yourself to blame' criminal idiots.
Accidentally uploading to the Cloud, those are my favorite morons.
Old 01-21-2017, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aruvqan View Post
Submarine ... Northern run of [as I remember] 5 months <Stops in Holy Loch Scotland, Tromso Norway, wander around under the arctic ice pack, then back through Tromso and Holy Loch> So ... you steal stuff that your boatmates bought and stash it in you locker ... stuff like fairly unique tankards, tshirts, foreign military uniform parts [including a soviet Ushanka with insignia] all that got reported when the owners noticed the thefts. Triggered a locker and space search while between ports so there was no possibility to offload stuff to a fence...
Hmm. I know a lot of submariners, and from what I've heard from them, stealing from your shipmates is a very bad idea.
Old 01-21-2017, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patch View Post
Someone entered my front yard and cut off the first 6 inches of my garden hose. No good unless you have a coupler to attach to a garden hose, and if you need to buy one of them why not just buy the replacement end?
I'd do hard time just to get another six inches.
Old 01-25-2017, 12:30 PM
Charter Member

Not necessarily dumb, so much as purely petty: I was working in an office building a couple decades ago, and often kept spare change in my desk drawer to use at the vending machines. One day, the coins were gone.

Others on the team noticed the same thing.

So we put more money in to see what would happen. And consistently, everything but the pennies were taken.

They stole other things as well - one woman lost a bottle of hand lotion. She left a snarky note in her desk drawer that night and in retaliation, her box of kleenex was emptied out.

We were quite certain it was the evening cleaning crew. We had reported it to building security, and I gather some cleaning crew staffing changes were made and the thefts stopped, though we never heard any confirmation. Someone potentially lost his/her job, for stealing what was certainly less than 10 dollars worth of money.

"Looked smart but turned out dumb": I brought my Nook Color with me to the local water park. Left it somewhat hidden under my towel when I went to grab something for lunch. Came back, and it was gone. It was an out-of-date device, utterly worthless from a fencing standpoint, and I had it bricked within 2 hours by calling B&N. It had a lovely case on it, which was useless for any other device - that was the saddest part.

"Didn't happen but I wish it had": a purse snatching in NYC. You see, that particular day, I was transporting a little jar containing, well, a sample, to a gastroenterologist.

"Gee, I'm sure they won't figure out who committed it": I was working on a project at a government client, a couple decades ago. We had an admin assistant who answered phones, handled paperwork and so on. She was out sick or something, so a temp was brought in one day.

All of us from the one main room were upstairs at a meeting that morning, came back downstairs, and the temp (who'd been holding down the fort) took her lunch break.

And never returned.

We were all getting a bit worried about her - thought she'd gotten sick or something - but went on with our days.

That evening, I got a call at home from the project manager: "Have you had any unusual transactions on your credit cards? Do you have them in your possession?".

One colleague had gotten a call from her credit card company about potentially fraudulent activity. Phone calls were made, and at least one other person was affected.

Building security got involved (and this being a Federal building, it was real security not rent-a-cops), and we never heard how it all really turned out but basically, the temp took advantage of us all being gone, went through several purses, and took credit cards. She didn't return to work because she was busy buying whatever she could before the cards got cancelled.
Old 01-25-2017, 12:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Zappa View Post
It was an out-of-date device, utterly worthless from a fencing standpoint
Not enough reach, but your opponents probably feel it when you do connect
Old 01-25-2017, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobArrgh;19932301Possibly explaining [b
eschereal[/b]'s statement: I remember reading something a few years ago in a magazine -- Reader's Digest, probably -- that in Russia, windshield wipers were a semi-precious commodity, so drivers typically did not keep the blades on the car. Then, when it started to rain, the roads would temporarily clear while all the drivers pulled over and attached the wiper blades.
cwPartner tells me this was a problem in Communist Bulgaria (could still be now, for all he knows, but he hasn't been back since then). In fact, when he rented a car, the agent initially refused to provide windshield wipers on the grounds that "You'll just leave them installed and they'll get stolen." After many assurances that he would not install the wipers unless it was raining and he was with the car, the agent relented - grudgingly - and provided a set of windshield wipers (which he dutifully installed and uninstalled, repeatedly, as he traveled through the countryside).
Old 01-31-2017, 07:27 AM

Just heard from a friend with a new one.

He deposited a check from a gig as usual, but realized a few days later the bank had bounced it. When he went in to investigate he was notified that his deposit had been refused because that check had already been deposited by someone else into another account at another bank.
I don't know about other countries but banks here offer an app for you smartphone which will scan a check and automatically deposit into your bank account. Apparently, someone who worked for the client must've had access to his check to scan it.

Copy of phone scanned check obtained... including banking and personal information of depositor. Police report filed and fraud investigation opened.
Old 01-31-2017, 08:34 AM

There's a guy in DC who runs this street scam where he asks you for a $20 for two $10 bills. Then if you give him the $20, he claims you just gave him $1 (he makes a switch) and starts a big scene. He gets people not looking for any trouble to give him another $20. He's kind of infamous.

But here's the thing: in what situation would you ever need a twenty dollar bill instead of two tens? If you think about it for just a second, the whole thing falls apart.
Old 01-31-2017, 08:47 AM
Charter Member

Oh, the things people will do to try to steal from the registers. There's someone who came up to my register, asked for a $50 for two twenties and a ten, then claimed I gave him a five dollar bill. I called over the head cashier and said "Let's look at the videotape, and then call the police." He ran out of the store.

When one cashier was counting out and had the money on the counter, I saw one guy look at it and then start acting very loud and crazy. Suddenly everybody was looking at him and not at the money as he started walking over to that counter. I ran over the counter and threw my arms on the cash. The guy went back to normal, turned around and left.

Last edited by Annie-Xmas; 01-31-2017 at 08:48 AM.
Old 01-31-2017, 10:47 AM

Some guy tried the old change-shuffle on me when I was working at a convenience store. But I had seen Paper Moon, so I was able to follow it closely and make it come out even. He sure looked confused at the end.