Old 07-13-2007, 01:49 AM

Does anyone else enjoy just eating dry cereal?

Right now as I type this, I'm eating a bowl of plain, dry Cheerios. This is one of my comfort foods. But when I tell this to people, they look at me like I just stepped off a Martian spacecraft. Am I really that fucked up for enjoying some plain dry cereal? I hate the taste of milk and have hated it since I was a little kid - people always react, upon hearing this, as if I just stuck an electric cattle prod up their ass and pressed the button. What's so unusual about it? The taste and texture of milk is gross to me, and I can't explain it any more than that.

So I've always eaten my cereal dry. Cap'n Crunch, Chex, Apple Jacks, Frosted and Corn flakes, and Cheerios - any cereal, pretty much. One of my favorites as a kid was Batman Cereal, despite a lot of people not liking it. Always without milk.

Anyone else with me?
Advertisements  
Old 07-13-2007, 02:02 AM
Charter Member

I have always eaten cereal dry, although not because I have any particular aversion to milk.
Old 07-13-2007, 02:04 AM

I'm not a dry cereal fan myself, but my son (who has 5 teeth) would eat cheerios until he exploded if we let him.
Old 07-13-2007, 02:08 AM

I, too, would rather have cereal dry. My favorites are cheerios and frosted mini-wheats. I don't eat it often, though. My youngest child prefers his cereal dry, as well.
Old 07-13-2007, 02:16 AM

You're not the only one.

There are some cereals I'll always eat dry. They're mainly pre-sweetened cereals like Cap'n Crunch, Lucky Charms, or Honeycomb which, for me, are mainly snacking cereals as opposed to breakfast cereals. With non-sweatened cereals like Rice Krispies, Corn Flakes, Kix, or Cheerios, I'll add a dab of milk just to dampen them. Honey Bunches of Oats (a semi-sweet cereal) usually gets more milk while Cocoa Krispies gets thoroughly drowned so it'll fully yield its chocolately milk goodness.
Old 07-13-2007, 04:57 AM

I love eating Quaker Crunchy muesli dry.
But after about half a bowl my jaw feels like it is going to drop off.
I by the way also hate milk and am not a particularly big fan of yoghurt.
Old 07-13-2007, 05:12 AM

For me it depends on which cereal. Until I was introduced to granola on a hiking trip (in the 70's) I had no idea how good dry cereal minus the milk and sugar could be. After that I went for the heartier (more fattening) cereals and preferred them dry and as snacks versus meals. But whenever the choice is Cheerios, Shredded Wheat, Corn Flakes, Wheaties or any other unsweetened stuff, I revert to the milk and sugar toppings from before. I have never been all that fond of pre-sweetened cereals nor all the kooky flavors available since the Count Chocula and Boo-berry days.

These days I don't eat much dry cereal of any kind. Oatmeal, grits, cream of wheat and that sort of thing, a little. But I'm mostly into bagels.
Old 07-13-2007, 05:37 AM
Charter Member

I thought I was the only one!

Heck, when I was a kid I ate Grape Nuts dry! (Crunch, crunch, crunch)
Old 07-13-2007, 07:02 AM

Pepper Mill does this. And our daughter MilliCal. I'm the only one who puts milk on cereal in our household.
Old 07-13-2007, 07:14 AM
Charter Member

I hate milk and it hates me. Usually I don't eat cereal either, but lately I've been going for the high-fiber stuff. You shouldn't eat a lot of fiber with no liquid, so I drink a glass of Crystal Light along with my dry cereal. Mmm-mm!
Old 07-13-2007, 07:27 AM

Grape Nuts and Mini Wheats are particularly scrummy sans milk.
Old 07-13-2007, 07:50 AM

I do it. But only with Cheerios. And only if I'm out of milk.
Old 07-13-2007, 08:11 AM

This is the first time I've seen lactose intolerance as a personality trait.

I like a little milk with my cereal, but will eat it dry as a snack.
Old 07-13-2007, 08:18 AM
Charter Member

Easiest healthy snack on the planet. Can be eaten right out of the box.
Old 07-13-2007, 08:21 AM

I like milk. But lately I munch on Honey Nut Cheerios as a snack. Honey Nut Shredded Wheat is another winner for me.
Old 07-13-2007, 08:23 AM

I only like cereal with milk or yogurt, but my husband is a milk hater. He loves cereal though, and regularly eats dry bowls of cereal for breakfast. Healthy & non-healthy ones, it doesn't matter.

More milk for me!
Old 07-13-2007, 09:47 AM

I'm a dry cereal girl. People make fun of me, but I don't mind. My mom has gotten oddly proud of it. "No, she doesn't need any milk. She likes it dry. That's just the way she likes it!" My favorites are Cheerios and Crispix. When I drank a lot of Coke, I loved my Coke and Crispix. Easy to get distracted and pick up the wrong vessel, though, particularly since I often eat the cereal in a cup - you dip your fingers into the "cereal cup" and it's wet and fizzy.
Old 07-13-2007, 09:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zsofia
I'm a dry cereal girl.
This reminds me of that Sesame Street skit with the Muppet singing "Cereal Girl" to the tune of Madonna's Material Girl.
Old 07-13-2007, 09:55 AM

Whenever I have cereal, I have it dry and I like it that way. Frosted Mini Wheats make a great snack all by themselves, but I've even enjoyed Grape Nuts this way, too. Granola, of course, is an easy one. I don't often buy cereal, but when I do it's for snacking purposes rather than getting poured into a bowl and eaten all mushy.

I also refrain from cooking my instant oatmeal. I like it slightly dampened and uncooked. Mm.
Old 07-13-2007, 10:42 AM

I have been made fun of my whole life for eating dry cereal. And I love, love, love milk. But my mom was very strict, and the only way she would allow us to put sugar on our cereal (she would not buy sweetened cereal for years) was if we had milk...because otherwise the sugar would just accumulate at the bottom of the bowl and then you'd be eating straight sugar, and we couldn't have that! (Anything that is fun or pleasurable or indulgent was frowned on as wasteful...though we were allowed to dip tomatoes in sugar....). So if you wanted sugar, you had to use milk...but you also had to drink the milk left over at the bottom of the bowl...with crumbs of cereal floating in it, and all that sugar...ick. So I just stopped eating cereal altogether. When I got older, I started again, but used yogurt, or just ate it dry with a glass of clean, cold, unsweetened milk on the side. Even now, I keep a box of Trader Joe's Cheerio-type cereal with dried strawberries right by the computer.

Oh, yeah, that was the other thing...when the dried strawberries started showing up in cereal back in the sixties, she wouldn't let me eat them dry, because she felt they should be soaked in the milk as well. And I adore dried strawberries...dry, like nature intended!

Last edited by kittenblue; 07-13-2007 at 10:43 AM.
Old 07-13-2007, 11:03 AM
Uncharted
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argent Towers
Am I really that fucked up for enjoying some plain dry cereal?
No, you're really that fucked up for enjoying some plain dry cereal out of a bowl! Eat it right of the box like a normal person!
Old 07-13-2007, 11:07 AM

I just about always have a box of oat-based cereal open that I eat as a snack.
Old 07-13-2007, 11:10 AM

Yup. I can sit for long periods eating cereal out of the box.

I aways end with a glass of milk though which makes my wife scratch her head.
Old 07-13-2007, 11:23 AM

I never ever put milk on my cereal.

The only ones I eat are Frosted Flakes, Fruit Loops, Apple Jacks, Capt. Crunch and Cocoa Puffs.

ETA - I always have a glass of milk after too, Mr. Floppy.)

Last edited by Missy2U; 07-13-2007 at 11:24 AM.
Old 07-13-2007, 11:42 AM

Yeah, I hate soggy cereal and only eat it dry. I almost never buy it tho' because I'll polish off almost the entire box in one sitting. Yummm.

I'm partial to original Cheeries (particularlly if I'm nauseous, better than crackers), Lucky Charms (I pick out the marshmallows and save them for last) and Rice Krispies Treats cereal (tastes just liek the squares but crunchy, unfortunately, it's tough to find in stores).
Old 07-13-2007, 12:08 PM

Right! Why would you want soggy cereal? When I was younger I was allergic to milk, and as I grew up they told me I could drink milk, but never got a taste for it on cereal. People do react strangely when I tell them that. I never thought it was that peculiar.
Old 07-13-2007, 12:59 PM
Charter Member

I do sometimes.

I'm not a big cereal eater, but I like Alpha-bits and Mini Wheats without milk.

I prefer the Alpha-bits with milk though, because I love to drink down the sugary milk after eating them all. I only put a little at a time in the bowl though, because I hate soggy mushy cereal.
Old 07-13-2007, 01:14 PM
Charter Member

Quaker Oat Squares. I don't buy them often anymore, but I used to take them with me while walking to class in the morning when I was in college.
Old 07-13-2007, 01:22 PM

Every weekday morning my breakfast is munching on cheerios right out of the box, and a banana. It's nice because it requires no preparation or dishes to wash, it's healthy, and it holds me for those few hours until lunch. I love milk and will drink it with everything, but somehow I just developed the habit of eating cheerios dry.
Old 07-13-2007, 02:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yumblie
... but somehow I just developed the habit of eating cheerios dry.
Maybe it's because Cheerios® are the universal calming food for babies and toddlers. Drop a dozen Cheerios in front of a grumpy tyke, and he'll be busy and quiet for a little while. It's a rare parent who takes a baby anywhere without a little baggie of those oaten Os.

As for me, I'd rather eat Wheat Chex right out of the box.
Old 07-13-2007, 02:22 PM

I, too, like my cereal sans-milk. I do, however, add lots of fruit to it (strawberries, blueberries, rasberries, smurfberries, etc.), so I end up eating as much fruit as I do flakes.
Old 07-13-2007, 02:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argent Towers
Right now as I type this, I'm eating a bowl of plain, dry Cheerios. This is one of my comfort foods. But when I tell this to people, they look at me like I just stepped off a Martian spacecraft.
Have they never herd of Chex Party Mix?
Old 07-13-2007, 02:45 PM

People put milk on cereal? The crazy things you kids do today

I love dry cereal. I can't eat first thing in the morning, so I bring my breakfast to work with me. It's so convenient to just nibble on cereal all morning. Plus, I love cereal as a snack.

Mini Wheats, Special K, Chex, and Cheerios (sometimes Apple Jacks for a real treat) are my favorites to eat dry.

Granola cereal I mix into yogurt.

The only cereals I eat with milk are Rice Crispies, Raisin Bran, and Corn Flakes.

I just bought the new Chocolate Peanut Butter Corn Pops (they looked so gross I just had to try them). Dry and in the evening as a snack, they're not half bad in limited quantities. But I cannot even imagine anyone on the planet trying to eat them first thing in the morning with milk on them. They might as well have called them Chocolate Frosted Sugar Bombs.
Old 07-13-2007, 03:19 PM
Confusing the Polarity
Charter Member

I'm sitting here reading this post while scarfing Lucky Charms straight out of the box (I've already picked all the marshmallows out, so I'm left with the cereal part)--so I guess I like dry cereal.

It's a good snack for when I want something sweet but don't want to hit the chocolate.
Old 07-13-2007, 04:39 PM

Dry cereal is friggin' awesome. Like sweet, healthy chips, it is.
Old 07-13-2007, 04:45 PM

Oh, I'm so with you, man.

I hate milk with a vengeance. Partly it's the lactose intolerance (which has mostly gone away as I can eat cheese and the like), but mostly it's the taste aversion that developed when I was much younger and would vomit it all up. Now I can't even stand to look at it for very long.

I don't eat cereal all that often. It's not the kind of thing I'd keep around the house, but if there's ever cereal around, it must only be eaten dry.
Old 07-14-2007, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDP
There are some cereals I'll always eat dry. They're mainly pre-sweetened cereals like Cap'n Crunch, Lucky Charms, or Honeycomb which, for me, are mainly snacking cereals as opposed to breakfast cereals.
And Lucky Charms is chalk full of marshmallows which are actually better without milk.
Old 07-14-2007, 01:26 AM

I can't understand why anyone puts milk on their cereal. I love milk and I love cereal. I don't love soggy mush. People don't pour soda over their potato chips. Why milk over cereal?
Old 07-14-2007, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee
I can't understand why anyone puts milk on their cereal. I love milk and I love cereal. I don't love soggy mush. People don't pour soda over their potato chips. Why milk over cereal?
I guess for the same reason a little salt on your ice cream is so freakin' amazingly good. The crunchy/wet dichotomy is just really appealing, just like salty/sweet.

The trick is to eat it fast, though. Thats why I love granola so much more than cereal, because it stays crunchy much longer than stuff like Life cereal, which is FAN-FRIGGING-TASTIC for about 18 seconds until it turns soggy. Mush is no good. Treat yourself to a tiny bowl of cereal that you can eat in about twenty seconds with milk someday and you might convert.
Old 07-14-2007, 02:08 AM

I love dry cereal, especially the granola-based ones with fruit. Dry Grape Nuts is also pretty good.
Old 07-14-2007, 02:43 AM

Almost always I eat cereal dry; mostly, because I dislike milk like the OP. About the only exception is Raisin Bran, which I use milk to soften but put gobs of suger on to nullify the taste of milk. The other, which I haven't done for years, is to let Cocoa Pebbles soak in milk until it's mush in chocolate milk, THEN eat it. If it starts tasting like milk, add more Cocoa Pebbles.

Last edited by Der Trihs; 07-14-2007 at 02:44 AM.
Old 07-14-2007, 08:45 AM
Charter Member

I love milk... but I virtually always eat my cereal dry. I am generally not a fan of anything that can be described as "soggy", and frankly if I don't like the taste of the cereal itself, why would I be eating it?

Also, one of the things that I absolutely miss about college is stumbling out of bed at 12:45 on a Sunday afternoon, taking a quick shower, and scurrying out to the TV to lie down on the couch with the NFL, a box of Cheerios, and a bottle of cranberry juice. (Eating out of both box and bottle directly, of course). A small part of me hopes to be unemployed at some time in the future just so that my sleep schedule will allow that sort of indulgence again.
Old 07-14-2007, 04:13 PM

Good morning! What can I start you with?
I'll have the Cheerios.
Would you like it with milk?
No, I take my cereal dry.
Old 07-14-2007, 04:15 PM
Charter Member

Dry cereal eater here.
Old 07-14-2007, 10:20 PM

Just finished a bowl of Multi-grain Cheerios myself. Dry, of course. Started eating dry cereal 24 years ago when I was pregnant. Helped with the nausea and felt it was more nutritious than saltines. Hard to be neat-but only 2 cheerios and 2 old Cocoa Puffs under the computer desk right now!
Old 07-14-2007, 10:57 PM

I eat cereal with milk for breakfast, without milk as a snack, or without milk if I'm running out the door and want something to take with me. Then I throw some in a zip-loc and out the door!
Old 01-17-2017, 08:37 PM

Sorry to bump, but yes I do! In fact, I'm sitting here eating Cinnamon Toast Crunch straight out the box.
Old 01-17-2017, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeldar View Post
For me it depends on which cereal. Until I was introduced to granola on a hiking trip (in the 70's) I had no idea how good dry cereal minus the milk and sugar could be. After that I went for the heartier (more fattening) cereals and preferred them dry and as snacks versus meals. But whenever the choice is Cheerios, Shredded Wheat, Corn Flakes, Wheaties or any other unsweetened stuff, I revert to the milk and sugar toppings from before. I have never been all that fond of pre-sweetened cereals nor all the kooky flavors available since the Count Chocula and Boo-berry days.

These days I don't eat much dry cereal of any kind. Oatmeal, grits, cream of wheat and that sort of thing, a little. But I'm mostly into bagels.
Hate to tell you this, but of your list of unsweetened cereals, only shredded wheat is unsweetened.
Old 01-18-2017, 03:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argent Towers View Post
Right now as I type this, I'm eating a bowl of plain, dry Cheerios. This is one of my comfort foods. But when I tell this to people, they look at me like I just stepped off a Martian spacecraft. Am I really that fucked up for enjoying some plain dry cereal? I hate the taste of milk and have hated it since I was a little kid - people always react, upon hearing this, as if I just stuck an electric cattle prod up their ass and pressed the button. What's so unusual about it? The taste and texture of milk is gross to me, and I can't explain it any more than that.

So I've always eaten my cereal dry. Cap'n Crunch, Chex, Apple Jacks, Frosted and Corn flakes, and Cheerios - any cereal, pretty much. One of my favorites as a kid was Batman Cereal, despite a lot of people not liking it. Always without milk.

Anyone else with me?
Have you eaten wheatgrass? I have. Cool Seriosly!

Last edited by Sammie222; 01-18-2017 at 03:55 AM.
Old 01-18-2017, 06:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argent Towers View Post
Right now as I type this, I'm eating a bowl of plain, dry Cheerios. This is one of my comfort foods. But when I tell this to people, they look at me like I just stepped off a Martian spacecraft. Am I really that fucked up for enjoying some plain dry cereal?
I hope not - Cheerios and its relatives are a popular finger-food for kids moving to solid foods and for toddlers. Hate to think multiple generations are scarred for life by the practice!

I have long preferred granola-type cereal dry myself. Eating cereal dry is probably more common than people think.

Quote:
I hate the taste of milk and have hated it since I was a little kid - people always react, upon hearing this, as if I just stuck an electric cattle prod up their ass and pressed the button. What's so unusual about it? The taste and texture of milk is gross to me, and I can't explain it any more than that.
The problem is that our society here in the US is heavily programmed to see dairy products as a Good Thing, hence the ubiquitous of cheese sauces on vegetables in the frozen aisle, and the pushing of yogurt on everyone. As just two examples.

Me, I have no objections to milk, but I can't stand most cheese when it's melted - people think I'm weird for that. :::shrug:::