Old 01-17-2017, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponch8 View Post
One of these days we olive lovers will rise up and crush our enemies. Then EVERY pizza will automatically come with olives.
Our coat of arms will be a pizza, a martini, and a nice charcuterie.

We will fight - after I finish this drink.
Advertisements  
Old 01-17-2017, 07:17 PM

Whole olives on a pizza? Maybe they wanted you to do the work and slice em?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemur866 View Post
I order my olives shaken, personally.
Shaken, not stirred?
Old 01-18-2017, 03:21 AM

There's also the point that you can get away with skimping on the olives if you slice them---you get them thin enough, you can cover a pizza with like three olives. So whole olives forces olive honesty.
Old 01-18-2017, 11:26 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacLir View Post
Apparently some people eat the shells. I have encountered a Chinese dish called Crystal Shrimp where the idea was obviously to eat them with the shell on. (Didn't order that again!)

When I cook with raw shrimp I shell them completely including the tail fins that a lot of people leave on. Except if I'm just boiling them - then it's easier to shell after they're cooked.
You CAN cook pretty good shrimp with the shells on, but you have to do it correctly. If the shells don't crisp you're doing it wrong. You've got to dry the shell-on shrimp very thoroughly. No, dryer than that. Then dust with corn starch and salt and pepper. Then sear them on a very very hot pan, very quickly on both sides, only a few at a time.

If the shells get crispy and the shrimp inside isn't overcooked, you've done it right. If you've done it wrong, the shell is soggy and the shrimp inside is overcooked and rubbery and you should feel bad. And if you dump the crispy shrimp on top of a sauce for more than a few seconds all your work will be for nothing.
Old 01-18-2017, 06:00 PM

Quote:
You CAN cook pretty good shrimp with the shells on, but you have to do it correctly. If the shells don't crisp you're doing it wrong. You've got to dry the shell-on shrimp very thoroughly. No, dryer than that. Then dust with corn starch and salt and pepper. Then sear them on a very very hot pan, very quickly on both sides, only a few at a time.

If the shells get crispy and the shrimp inside isn't overcooked, you've done it right. If you've done it wrong, the shell is soggy and the shrimp inside is overcooked and rubbery and you should feel bad. And if you dump the crispy shrimp on top of a sauce for more than a few seconds all your work will be for nothing.
The Crystal Shrimp dish I tried was nothing like that. Breading and a sauce. I was not impressed.
Old 01-18-2017, 06:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Yeah, I've had a few dishes like that. I've always eaten salt & pepper shrimp, for example, with the shell on.
Old 01-18-2017, 06:28 PM

Some helpful advise: Do not, I repeat DO NOT, order their pineapple pizza. If you get my thinking on that!
Old 01-19-2017, 09:23 AM
Charter Member

I had a girl friend introduce me to pepperoni-and-olive pizza. The olives deliver a better texture and taste, and don't get over whelmed by the pepperoni like pepperoni-and-mushroom, my previous favorite was.

And sliced black olives please. Way back when the Diamondback were the world champions (if only a year) a news story mentioned that Luis Gonzales would have a green olive and pep combo waiting for him (and the rest of the team) when they finished the game. I tried it once -- good on ya, Gonzo, but it's not for me.
Old 01-19-2017, 09:46 AM
The Turtle Moves!
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Algher View Post
Our coat of arms will be a pizza, a martini, and a nice charcuterie.

We will fight - after I finish this drink.
Where do I enlist?

I also like pineapple on pizza, but not sliced - chunked. In fact, my standard pizza at home is topped with BBQ chicken, pineapple and onions.
Old 01-19-2017, 10:22 AM

Did we ever figure out what kind of olives were on the OP's pizza?
Old 01-20-2017, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Channing Idaho Banks View Post
Did we ever figure out what kind of olives were on the OP's pizza?
I think they were kalamatas. They were very tasty, even in their defiantly unsliced state.