Old 01-19-2017, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drad dog View Post
He sang for the king and queen. So who was the king then? I can't see the king and queen as Elvis and Joannie. Doesn't really work.
Ah, yes, my mistake. Well, sometimes the jester does shtup the queen.
Advertisements  
Old 01-19-2017, 02:36 PM

Who really killed K'mpec in Star Trek: The Next Generation? We're led to believe that it was Duras, but all we really know is that one of his men was a suicide bomber during the Son'chi ceremony. I wouldn't put it past either Duras or Gowron to have poisoned K'mpec.
Old 01-19-2017, 03:14 PM

What was in the trunk of the 1964 Chevrolet Malibu in Repo Man? Alien tech? What's the backstory of how it got into the trunk?

Is the hokey-pokey *really* what it's all about? Sounds good... but, upon contemplation, I am starting to have my doubts.

Last edited by DrForrester; 01-19-2017 at 03:16 PM.
Old 01-19-2017, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meurglys View Post
What did Aunt Ada Doom see in the woodshed?
And what was the "great wrong" that Judith's man once did Flora's father?
Old 01-19-2017, 05:36 PM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

Who DID shoot the deputy?
Old 01-19-2017, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RivkahChaya View Post
Who assaulted Ronette Pulaski? Yes, I know it was Killer Bob, but who did he possess when he did it? He possessed [SPOILER ALERT] Leland Palmer when he killed Laura Palmer, but is that who he possessed when he assaulted Ronette Pulaski, or was it someone else.

Also, did Ronette ever come out of her coma?

Maybe you'll find out in the forthcoming revival.

Of all the stuff on Lost, the only thing that really left me feeling unsatisfied in the end is they never told us what the deal was with Libby. And they were going to tell that until the stupid writers strike ruined it.
Old 01-19-2017, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBG View Post
Maybe you'll find out in the forthcoming revival.
Is that NOT in FWWM? ***/****** is assaulting both of them and while it's distracted with Laura, Ronette is released.

Last edited by Dale Sams; 01-19-2017 at 06:21 PM.
Old 01-19-2017, 07:45 PM

In the movie Fargo, we start with the knowledge that the main character needs money. He tries various schemes to get it. The schemes go wrong and a wood chipper is eventually called upon to get things straightened out.

Every time I watch the film, I always wonder why the guy needed the money so badly. He'd fiddled with the inventory of his car lot. That needed to get sorted. But, that wouldn't have been the original problem. That was just another of his half-way-thought-through methods of delaying financial doom due to his original problem.

If it was an addiction, such as gambling or alcohol, he never showed any subsequent signs. So, we're left without our central motivation. It's weird.
Old 01-19-2017, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbh View Post
So, which was it? The lady, or the tiger?
Look up the Frank Stockton short story "His Wife's Deceased Sister." New perspective on the author, and you'll stop caring about this question.
Old 01-19-2017, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrForrester View Post
In the movie Fargo, we start with the knowledge that the main character needs money. He tries various schemes to get it. The schemes go wrong and a wood chipper is eventually called upon to get things straightened out.

Every time I watch the film, I always wonder why the guy needed the money so badly. He'd fiddled with the inventory of his car lot. That needed to get sorted. But, that wouldn't have been the original problem. That was just another of his half-way-thought-through methods of delaying financial doom due to his original problem.

If it was an addiction, such as gambling or alcohol, he never showed any subsequent signs. So, we're left without our central motivation. It's weird.
It's a sort of MacGuffin. A plot device.
Old 01-19-2017, 08:19 PM

What was the deal with The Colorado Kid? Don't give me any of that Haven lore. That doesn't count.

Wheel of Time - who was Nakomi?
Old 01-20-2017, 08:32 AM
Charter Member

Who was the Ed McBain's 87th Precinct's Deaf Man? He never wrote EXIT to finish the series.
Old 01-20-2017, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrForrester View Post

It wasn't any one thing. He needed to not look like a failure to his FiL, so he embezzled money to maintain a slightly higher standard of living than he otherwise could. Slightly bigger house, slightly better clothes. And then once he got it, he couldn't not keep doing it. Probably started slow, then when, maybe, his FiL says that Jerry should take the family on a vacation, or donate more to church (because he's doing so well) or invest in some scheme the FiL has, well, how could he say no without losing face? Jerry was the kind of guy for whom appearances were very important.

Last edited by Just Asking Questions; 01-20-2017 at 08:41 AM.
Old 01-20-2017, 10:26 AM

The secret behind all of Gob's illusions would be nice to know.
At least I've figured out the knife-blade-across-mouth thing.
Old 01-20-2017, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethilrist View Post
What was Shepherd Book's past, and why did he know so much about the Operative?
Much of his backstory is explained in the comic books, although I can't remember off the top of my head what was said about the Operative if anything.
Old 01-20-2017, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sefton View Post
If Victor von Doom was expelled for his college experimentation, why does he call himself Doctor Doom?
Who's gonna stop him?
Old 01-20-2017, 11:27 AM
Horrified Onlooker

Deckard.
Old 01-20-2017, 12:37 PM

Who was The Woman in the Doctor Who episode The End of Time: Part Two? She was in the company of the time lords and it seemed like the Doctor was the only one who could see her. They never got around to resolving that lingering development.
Old 01-20-2017, 12:59 PM
Charter Member

In "Cordially Invited to Meet Death" , a Nero Wolfe mystery novella by Rex Stout, why Wolfe sent some of the rare black orchids to Huddleston’s funeral .
Old 01-20-2017, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowed Out View Post
Who was The Woman in the Doctor Who episode The End of Time: Part Two? She was in the company of the time lords and it seemed like the Doctor was the only one who could see her. They never got around to resolving that lingering development.
And Tasha Lem from "the Time of the Doctor" (the one where Matt Smith regenerates into Peter Capaldi.) She's a high-ranking member of The Silence, but apparently is very close to the Doctor (even though she had never appeared before.) She can even operate the TARDIS controls.
Old 01-20-2017, 04:37 PM

Did Catwoman really die near the end of Batman Returns? After all, there was that interesting silhouette before the credits rolled. If she lived, how???? Her nine lives were up. How'd she get out of the electrical explosion, etc.?

And Brazil ...

Well, basically all of it. How much was real, fantasy, fantasy of a fantasy, etc.?
Old 01-20-2017, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftg View Post
And Brazil ...

Well, basically all of it. How much was real, fantasy, fantasy of a fantasy, etc.?
That one's easy, IMO:

SPOILER:
Everything up to the point where he's strapped in the chair is real. Tuttle breaking in to rescue him and everything after that, including Jill being alive, is fantasy. The final shot of him back in the chair, having completely lost his mind, is back to reality.

Except that Jill doesn't really exist, and is simply a manifestation of Sam's alter ego. So Jill is all fantasy. Except that for certain plot points to work, she must be a real person. So those parts are real. Except where those plot points are actually part of the fantasy.

Quite simple, really.
Old 01-20-2017, 05:22 PM

Who shot Nice Guy Eddie (Reservoir Dogs)?

What was in the briefcase (Pulp Fiction)?
Old 01-20-2017, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RivkahChaya View Post
It's a sort of MacGuffin. A plot device.
The mention of a MacGuffin makes me think of one--what was the deal with that thingamajigger in Night Train?
Old 01-20-2017, 05:44 PM

Just had a thought: while there are many interesting mysteries mentioned so far (though most fly over my head because you just can't know any cultural reference), they all come from novels, movies or songs, but not from classic mythology. But there must be also many examples in the Bible, Greek and Norse mythology and such, and by no means I am thinking of theological mysteries and subtleties (please let's not go into that in CS ), but of actually plot points or even plot holes that affect the story. Got any?
Old 01-20-2017, 07:17 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Not so much a fictional mystery as a literary one: What would the rest of Kubla Khan have been like if Coleridge hadn't been interrupted by the Person from Porlock?
Old 01-20-2017, 07:20 PM

I think Dirk Gently got pretty close to answering that one
Old 01-20-2017, 07:53 PM

In the "Moonlighting" tv Series the Anselmo case was mentioned early on (first episode I think) and when it finally ground to a halt, they noted it was never solved
Old 01-20-2017, 07:58 PM

[QUOTE=EinsteinsHund;19936640]Just had a thought: while there are many interesting mysteries mentioned so far (though most fly over my head because you just can't know any cultural reference), they all come from novels, movies or songs, but not from classic mythology. But there must be also many examples in the Bible, Greek and Norse mythology and such, and by no means I am thinking of theological mysteries and subtleties (please let's not go into that in CS ), but of actually plot points or even plot holes that affect the story. Got any?[/QUOTE

Cain kills his brother Abel, flees and eventually marries. Where did this wife come from. Some faiths such the Ethiopian church says her name was Awan and she was a full sister to Cain. But most Christian religions do not answer this.
Old 01-20-2017, 08:03 PM

Why can't anyone in the government fix the Cone of Silence?
Old 01-20-2017, 08:38 PM

How can a man, or more precisely, a soul man, learn how to love before he could eat?
Old 01-20-2017, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by White SIFL View Post
Who shot Nice Guy Eddie (Reservoir Dogs)?
Mr. White. A frame-by-frame viewing shows that he fires two shots. One into Joe Cabot, and one into Eddie.

The confusion is Harvey Keitel's fault. He doesn't bring his arm up enough to show it convincingly.

Or, according to this, it's a mistake, and no one does. but then why would there be a squib on Chris Penn?
Old 01-20-2017, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fair Rarity View Post
What was the deal with The Colorado Kid? Don't give me any of that Haven lore. That doesn't count.
FWIW, the mystery that inspired The Colorado Kid was never solved, either.
Old 01-20-2017, 11:03 PM

Who killed Edwin Drood?
Old 01-21-2017, 12:17 AM

Quote:
How can a man, or more precisely, a soul man, learn how to love before he could eat?
Well, he'd have to be educated from good stock, that's for damn sure.

Last edited by Robot Arm; 01-21-2017 at 12:17 AM.
Old 01-21-2017, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen_X2 View Post
What WAS the frequency, Kenneth?
That one's not fictional...and also has (possibly) been solved
Old 01-21-2017, 03:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyrate View Post
Much of his backstory is explained in the comic books, although I can't remember off the top of my head what was said about the Operative if anything.
I don't recall that much, or anything, was said specifically in the backstory comics
SPOILER:

about operatives. Shepherd Book was so wildly successful in his undercover role in the war that he knew a great deal about how the Alliance operated. He may have known a lot, or just a few things, about operatives specifically, but since he rose so high in the Alliance ranks, even if he didn't know much, he could make very educated 'guesses' to fill in some blanks.

Personally, I think he knew a fair bit about operatives. After all, it was his job to ferret out info, and he ended up in a position of power and trust. For years, people have posited that he WAS an operative in the war. Even since the comic backstory, I've read someone insist the comics were wrong. I don't know how you can claim canon is wrong, but there you go.
Old 01-21-2017, 09:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie-Xmas View Post
Who was the queen the jester sang for?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKellyMap View Post
Joan Baez? She dated Dylan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by drad dog View Post
He sang for the king and queen. So who was the king then? I can't see the king and queen as Elvis and Joannie. Doesn't really work.
I had the same thought myself. I think McLean used "queen" because it goes with "king" (Elvis) and he needed a rhyme for "James Dean," who is the only person mentioned by their full name in the whole song. "While Lenin (Lennon) read a book on Marx" could refer to Vladmir or John and Karl or one of the Brothers.
Old 01-21-2017, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Ekers View Post
So why is a raven like a writing-desk?
Both are NEVAR seen back-to-front.
Old 01-21-2017, 10:11 AM

How can I get, or develop, a pompatus of love?

A list of all the ingredients for 'Lobster a la Riseholme' would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-21-2017, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Plankton View Post
From your cite:

Quote:
In 1997, a TV critic writing in the New York Daily News solved the mystery, publishing a photo of the alleged assailant, William Tager, who received a  12 1⁄2 to 25-year prison sentence for killing NBC stagehand Campbell Montgomery outside The Today Show studio in 1994.[95] Rather confirmed the story: "There's no doubt in my mind that this is the person."[95] New York District Attorney Robert M. Morgenthau said, "William Tager's identity as the man who attacked Mr. Rather was established in the course of an investigation by my office."[96] Tager claimed he thought television networks were beaming signals into his brain;[97] when he murdered the stagehand, Tager was trying to force his way into a CBS studio with a weapon, in order to find out the frequency the networks were using to attack him, so that he could block it. As to why he said "Kenneth", Tager was Jewish, and may have actually been using the Yiddish word "goniff", meaning "thief".[98] Tager was paroled in October 2010 and is believed to be living in New York City.
So he's on the loose again. We may have to start beaming those signals in to keep him from becoming violent. We lack a crucial piece of information. So the question is still unanswered -- What IS the frequency?
Old 01-21-2017, 10:43 AM

Did we ever get the skinny on Fonzie's parents?
Old 01-21-2017, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie The Horrible View Post
Did we ever get the skinny on Fonzie's parents?
Fonzie's mother was referenced, and possibly appeared in an episode-- the Cunninghams initially fixed up their attic as an apartment for Fonzie's mother, because she was living with him (Fonzie) and driving him crazy. Somehow, Fonzie ended up in the attic, and his mother took his old apartment. How the hell do I remember that?

More important is, what happened to Napoleon Dynamite's parents?
Old 01-21-2017, 11:05 AM

Uncle Rico ate them.
Old 01-21-2017, 01:25 PM
Charter Member

Fonzie's father left when Fonzie was a child. In a later episode, Fonzie's unknown half brother turns up, saying the father recently died.
Old 01-21-2017, 07:20 PM

Elvis, of course, was the King. According to reports that I've heard, the "Queen" was Little Richard.
Old 01-21-2017, 08:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim's Son View Post
In the "Moonlighting" tv Series the Anselmo case was mentioned early on (first episode I think) and when it finally ground to a halt, they noted it was never solved
The Pederasty case? They caught the guy, but the punk got away.

No thanks to that Danger character...
Old 01-21-2017, 08:18 PM

Quote:
You obviously weren't brought up on a side street.
Old 01-21-2017, 08:28 PM

I've always wanted to know what caused all the men to die in Y: The Last Man, though I think BKV had a good reason for never divulging the cause (and whatever it ended up being would probably feel lamer than the mystery itself).
Old 01-22-2017, 08:07 AM

What song did the Sirens sing?

Did Lady Macbeth have children?

Who killed Edwin Drood?