Old 01-27-2017, 10:29 AM

Hydrox cookies - I've always thought they were better than Oreos

Whip n' Chill - Mousse/pudding dessert from the '70's

Anyone remember Space Sticks?!!

Doritos had a version of their chips called Doritos Lights (I think) in the '70's. They were thinner and crispier. Delicious. I don't think they were supposed to be low calorie (I'd eat a whole bag in one sitting anyway!!) Doritos also used to have a plain tortilla chip that was really good.

I'd like to taste graham crackers, saltines, apples, Hershey's, Milky Way and lots of other things to see if they tasted better "back then". I remember my dad always saying, "such and such" used to taste better when I was a kid.
Advertisements  
Old 01-27-2017, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealityChuck View Post
Isn't this still available? I could swear I've seen it in my grocery store recently. I'll check and get back to you.
Old 01-27-2017, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
Isn't this still available? I could swear I've seen it in my grocery store recently. I'll check and get back to you.
It is... definitely on Amazon, and at a lot of liquor stores as well.

Also, an outfit named 'Fever Tree' makes an excellent rendition of the soda as well, and it's actually more common than the Schweppes version.
Old 01-27-2017, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Mr. Mustard View Post
Sweet Sue chicken and dumplings.

I seem to remember a short can sitting atop a taller can affixed to it with tape. Couldn't find a photo of that, though.

mmm
YAY now to see if I can find the stuff in California ... thanks tons

edit: maybe a small can as its changed :https://www.reviewstream.com/reviews/?p=92369

Last edited by nightshadea; 01-27-2017 at 11:52 AM.
Old 01-27-2017, 11:57 AM

Honey Almond Delight cereal. Screaming Yellow Zonkers. And there were these chocalate-covered peanut butter cookies that were like a candy bar, but I don't remember the name.
Old 01-27-2017, 11:58 AM

Wink soda
O'Ryans Sour Cream and Onion potato chips
O'Grady's Au Gratin potato chips
Old 01-27-2017, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Wasn't that Laura Petrie's neighbor Millie at the switchboard?
Quote:
Originally Posted by blondebear View Post
I think it is--Ann Morgan Guilbert, who passed away in June.
Yes, right after "Jon" (Larry Wilcox) from "CHiPs".

Not a food, but a Restaurant - Kip's Big Boy. It was the first restaurant I went to 'all by myself' when I was growing up. I thought they were gone, and checking, I just see that the the nearest is 1400 miles away. "Bob's" Big Boy indeed - Who do they think they're foolin!
Old 01-27-2017, 01:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-DUB View Post
Screaming Yellow Zonkers.
They brought these back a couple of years ago. But they were not easily cheaper than diamonds of equal weight.
Old 01-27-2017, 02:13 PM
The Turtle Moves!
Charter Member

Quote:
It is. I have it in both large and small bottles. Both Bevmo and my local grocery stores stock it. Now, the Bitter Orange OTOH.....
Old 01-27-2017, 02:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by running coach View Post
OOOOH! Libbyland Dinners! In fact, lots of dinners that came in the aluminum foil trays that you could heat in a toaster oven. For dessert:

Peanut Butter Buffalos (and the Chocolate Elephants were good too!
Old 01-27-2017, 02:28 PM

[QUOTE=RealityChuck;" Ebinger's Chocolate Blackout Cake

Best. Cake. Ever. This was my birthday cake every year.
Old 01-27-2017, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRC4941 View Post
Hydrox cookies - I've always thought they were better than Oreos
They pre-dated Oreos, too. Oreos were the copycats.

Anyone else remember Rondo?

mmm
Old 01-28-2017, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balthisar View Post
McDonald's apple pies. The deep-fried kind. I'd try to get them raw so that I could freeze them and cook them upon demand, though.
I had one of these about two weeks ago. And I don't have a time machine.

If I did, I'd grab a couple of cases of Betty Crocker Noodles Romanoff. (When they announced they were being discontinued (I was in my mid-20s at the time, I think), my mom bought me a case. I made it last as best I could.)
Old 01-28-2017, 02:30 PM
Charter Member

Team Flakes
BucWheats
Old 01-28-2017, 03:02 PM

Nabisco Ideal Bars. I had to go through withdrawal when those babies were discontinued.
Old 01-28-2017, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-DUB View Post
And there were these chocalate-covered peanut butter cookies that were like a candy bar, but I don't remember the name.
See my previous post.
Old 01-28-2017, 03:16 PM

I remember that as a kid I used to like Slender Bars, which I assume are long off the market--at least, it has been many years since I remember seeing them. (While I'm at that particular shelf, I'd pick up some AYDS for fun.)
Old 01-28-2017, 05:47 PM

The little box of spaghetti and/or pizza mix - probably Chef Boy R Dee - with a little can of grated parmesan. (comes in plastic packets now)... Or was it sauce? Never mind, I'm old, I can't remember, but I do remember 50 years ago we made an awful cardboard-y pizza from a box in preparation for the midnight Creature Feature on Saturday night. You had to put extra toppings on the pizza if you had them. What fun! I miss that time of life.
Old 01-28-2017, 06:41 PM

Quote:
McDonald's apple pies. The deep-fried kind. I'd try to get them raw so that I could freeze them and cook them upon demand, though.
I have permanent scars on my tongue from burning it on the hot pie every single time I ate one. It didn't matter how long one waited after one bought it; the molten apple filling remained at 500F until the fried crust was breached. Today's society, sadly, is too litigious for McDonalds to retain the pie in its original gestalt.

(Actually, they brought them back last year "for a limited time" (test market, I hope?) in Southern California.)
Old 01-29-2017, 08:10 AM

McDonalds Ranchero Quarter Pounder. I believe it came out in the mid 1980's.
It had a flat corn tortilla (under the bun, not replacing the bun), and some taco sauce, and was really good.
I might possibly be remembering this as better than it was, since it didn't last too long, but I loved it at the time and always regretted McDonalds dropping it after a while.
Old 01-29-2017, 09:06 AM

McDonald's chicken quesadillas. Practically nothing to them, a flour tortilla with a few shreds of marinated chicken, a bit of lettuce and cheese, packet of hot sauce on the side. (Two were a little much, one not quite enough.) They were light, delicate, and SO delicious! I've never had any as good as those. Different, yes, but much as I've tried to duplicate them, I never could get it right. It was a bleak day when they disappeared.
Old 01-29-2017, 10:00 AM
The Turtle Moves!
Charter Member

Big John's, as several have mentioned above.

There also used to be a cheap frozen grinder called Tony's, I think. They came 2 to a box and were in a metallized paper wrapper that you tossed in the oven - pre-microwave. I would bake one half-way, then pull it out and add more stuff to the inside for the rest of the baking time. Those things were perfect when you were a poor college student. Haven't seen them in decades.
Old 01-29-2017, 01:24 PM
Charter Member

Just out of curiosity I'd try the Vegetable Sandwich, and Chicken Dinner candy bars.
Old 01-29-2017, 01:43 PM

Root Beer Kool Aid. I'm still addicted after all these years. And saltine crackers where the crackers consisted of 4 squares joined into a super square. That's the way God intended.
Old 01-29-2017, 03:06 PM
Charter Member

Not exactly food but I'd buy Sweet Caporal cigarettes until I had a full set of T206 cards.
Old 01-29-2017, 03:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by h.sapiens View Post
Shake-A-Pudd'n. Instant pudding that you shook in a cup to make it instead of using a mixer. "Rich with real milk solids." Mmmm.
Damn, I opened this thread just to post this.

Parson's Seven Up bars are also on my list.

Danish Go Rounds. Just because, that's why.

Space Food Sticks.

Altoids Ginger. YUMMMM!

Milkshake candy bars.
Old 01-29-2017, 05:33 PM

Rath's Black Hawk honey glazed ham. They were expensive, but so much better than those chemical-infused things they sell today.
Old 01-29-2017, 05:47 PM
Charter Member

Passenger pigeon pie.
Old 01-29-2017, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Morris View Post
Passenger pigeon pie.
I think I mentioned it in a different thread, that IMHO just a bit of selective breeding was needed to domesticate that, I do think that a huge future industry was just literally killed in the 20th century.

Getting back to subject:

Altoid Sours.
On online sales each unopened sealed thin fetches close to $20.00 each.

Last edited by GIGObuster; 01-29-2017 at 06:03 PM.
Old 01-29-2017, 06:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRC4941 View Post
Anyone remember Space Sticks?!!
Space Food Sticks (as corrected by Dr. QtM above). FWIW, I always thought they tasted like the original chocolate flavored Power Bars.
Old 01-30-2017, 08:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corner Case View Post
Not a food, but a Restaurant - Kip's Big Boy. It was the first restaurant I went to 'all by myself' when I was growing up. I thought they were gone, and checking, I just see that the the nearest is 1400 miles away. "Bob's" Big Boy indeed - Who do they think they're foolin!
That would be Kip. Bob's Big Boy started in Glendale. A family story by my parents and an aunt/uncle was that they'd been served hamburgers by "Bob hisself" just after WWII.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiki
In addition to the Bob's Big Boy name, the "Big Boy" concept, menu, and mascot were originally licensed to a wide number of regional franchise holders (listed in the next section: Roster of named franchisees). Because many of the early franchisees were already in the restaurant business when joining Big Boy, "Big Boy" was added to the franchisee name just as the Big Boy hamburger was added to the franchisee's menu. In this sense it is confusing when referring to a chain, as each named franchisee was itself a chain and Big Boy could be considered a chain of chains. People tend to know Big Boy not simply as Big Boy but as the franchise from where they lived such as Bob's Big Boy in California, Shoney's Big Boy in the south or Frisch's Big Boy in much of Ohio, among the many others. Cite
Scroll down this list and you'll find your Kip.
Old 01-30-2017, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDog View Post
That would be Kip. Bob's Big Boy started in Glendale. A family story by my parents and an aunt/uncle was that they'd been served hamburgers by "Bob hisself" just after WWII.
I encountered this on a visit to Louisville last last Christmas. We passed by a "Frisch's Big Boy" and, having only ever seen or heard of "Bob's," I had to go check it out. The manager was quite happy to provide me with an explanation that was way more detailed than I needed.

Apparently Frisch's was the first Bob's franchisee and received a pretty amazing deal, including huge breaks on royalties and licensing fees that other later franchisees were subject to (Frisch's annual fee was $1, in perpetuity). Frisch's actually had the opportunity to buy the entire national Big Boy chain in 2000 but declined, and later became a separate company but retained shared ownership of the Big Boy trademark with other Big Boy companies. Their Big Boy mascot is slightly different than the original.

I didn't have time to eat there so I can't comment on the food.
Old 01-30-2017, 09:16 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by salinqmind View Post
The little box of spaghetti and/or pizza mix - probably Chef Boy R Dee - with a little can of grated parmesan. (comes in plastic packets now)... Or was it sauce? Never mind, I'm old, I can't remember, but I do remember 50 years ago we made an awful cardboard-y pizza from a box in preparation for the midnight Creature Feature on Saturday night. You had to put extra toppings on the pizza if you had them. What fun! I miss that time of life.
Would it have been Appian Way? That's what we got for pizza since a pizzeria one was too expensive.

On a similar note, when we'd go to the drive-in, between movies they'd run an ad for Bambino Pizza, available at the snack bar. We never got one (see above) and as a kid I always wondered how they were. Probably pretty awful.
Old 01-30-2017, 10:48 AM

Faygo Brau ginger beer. A good ginger beer at a regular Faygo price- gone way too soon!!
Old 01-30-2017, 02:27 PM

Snow's Clam Crisps.

In a nutshell, I found a fly in a can of clams, Dad & I sent a letter, Snow's sent Clam Crisps. Which were awesome!
I made a post about them on this blog but it was removed, apparently my fly was not memorable enough.

http://davescupboard.blogspot.com/20...am-crisps.html

Last edited by PlumBob; 01-30-2017 at 02:29 PM. Reason: Forgot to mention the awesomeness of the clam strips...
Old 01-30-2017, 04:58 PM

Marathon Bars
https://goo.gl/images/NfFwDr

The foot long bubble gum sticks.

Sugar Momma (chocolate version of a Sugar Daddy)
https://goo.gl/images/LXIbhq
Old 01-30-2017, 05:03 PM

Quote:
They don't have cheese danishes any more, either.

I'd get Whitey's (a local ice cream) Malted Moose Tracks, which was only available for a short time, and Campbell's Scotch Broth. Those were both really good.
Old 01-30-2017, 05:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace57 View Post
You don't need a time machine. They are available in other countries, under the name Curly Wurly. Try eBay.
Old 01-30-2017, 05:33 PM

Quote:
You don't need a time machine. They are available in other countries, under the name Curly Wurly. Try eBay.
Does Urly Burly eat them, and then ask if you need a ride?

ETA: The calliope crashed to the ground.

Last edited by nearwildheaven; 01-30-2017 at 05:35 PM.
Old 01-30-2017, 05:37 PM

Quote:
I'll get some to try.

Thanks
Old 01-31-2017, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by salinqmind View Post
they still make those ....chef Boyardee pizza kits......at one time every kindergartener's first encounter with pizza making until the field trip to the pizza place
Old 01-31-2017, 12:49 PM
Charter Member

Not something most people would have heard of, but if you attended the University of Minnesota during the 1970s you may have eaten at Perry's Pizza. My mouth waters just at the memory.
Old 01-31-2017, 01:22 PM

Food choices:

Razzle candy
Reggie Bar (candy bar named after Reggie Jackson)
Bottle Caps
Gatorade Gum
Peanut Butter Boppers
Burnt red peanuts
Brachs chocolates
Dynamints
Boo Berry cereal
Now & Laters

Collectibles:
Every Star Wars trading card ever made
1978 KISS pinball machine

And finally:

I'd gather every penny I could get my hands on and buy stock in Microsoft, Apple & Google.
Old 01-31-2017, 01:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearwildheaven View Post
The calliope crashed to the ground.
Now look here, you all-hot half-shot . . .
Old 01-31-2017, 01:40 PM

I would rather stock up clothes that are 100 % cotton and screws the plastic clothes being made today ! Especially the damn rubber bras you could use for basket balls !
Old 01-31-2017, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplehearingaid View Post
Especially the damn rubber bras you could use for basket balls !
Say what, now?
Old 01-31-2017, 03:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplehearingaid View Post
I would rather stock up clothes that are 100 % cotton and screws the plastic clothes being made today ! Especially the damn rubber bras you could use for basket balls !
Thanks to advances in breast augmentation surgery, quite a few of them are the size of basketballs.
Old 01-31-2017, 03:30 PM

Planter's Cheese Balls that came in the can. They had the best powdered faux cheese ever.

I also second the Betty Crocker Noodles Romanoff. Our entire family mourned when those went away.

In total agreement on the Hydrox was better than Oreo issue.
Old 01-31-2017, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qadgop the Mercotan View Post
Now look here, you all-hot half-shot . . .
Wrapped up like a DEUCE, another rumor in the night.....

Old 01-31-2017, 05:37 PM
Charter Member

What long-lost food would I like to eat again?
I have an entire personal webpage devoted to this very topic!