Old 01-31-2017, 05:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillownedbysetters View Post
I also second the Betty Crocker Noodles Romanoff. Our entire family mourned when those went away.
Check out the webpage I linked in my previous message.
I reverse-engineered the recipe for making Noodles Romanoff that tastes just like the stuff from the box. (The secret is to use Kraft Macaroni & Cheese cheese powder, plus sour cream, milk, and a little bit of onion powder and garlic powder.)

EDIT: Damn page breaks. The webpage is here:
http://www.rogermwilcox.com/food.html

Last edited by tracer; 01-31-2017 at 05:40 PM.
Advertisements  
Old 01-31-2017, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracer View Post
I reverse-engineered the recipe for making Noodles Romanoff that tastes just like the stuff from the box. (The secret is to use Kraft Macaroni & Cheese cheese powder, plus sour cream, milk, and a little bit of onion powder and garlic powder.)

Whooo Hooo!! I will definitely give it a go. Thanks!
Old 02-01-2017, 11:07 AM

After reading everyone's posts.........

Chef Boyardee Pizza Kits are still great. The best crust ever!! Get the cheese variety and put on your own toppings.

And saltines - 4 squares together! Miss those too.

Someone mentioned Danish Go-Rounds.......LOVED them - Cinnamon/brown sugar. Way better thay Pop Tarts.

Anyone remember (I think it was called) Fruit Float. Like a fruity mousse with berries in it you'd mix up and refrigerate?

How about Pop Shoppe pop? You'd go to the Pop Shoppe and mix and match whichever flavors you wanted. Then return the bottles and get some more. Maybe that was just a regional thing here in NE Minnesota.

How about Aunt Sally's cookies? Yummo
Old 02-01-2017, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracer View Post

You are a god. Thank you!
Old 02-01-2017, 12:35 PM

Now that I have my Noodles Romanoff, I guess my next choice would be Whip 'n' Chill.
Old 02-02-2017, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealityChuck View Post
I picked up a bottle of Canada Dry Bitter Lemon at the market last week. I was never one of the "pick which is Coke, Pepsi and RC blindfolded" people, though.

Quote:
Cayuga Now that I have my Noodles Romanoff, I guess my next choice would be Whip 'n' Chill.
I thought you guys were talking about Jello123, which was pretty cool; I was never a Whip N Chill fan. Now I'm a vegetarian so Jello 123 would be out regardless.

Apparently, KFC Apple Turnovers are a potential substitute for McDonalds fried apple pies, so maybe I'll head over there after work to check it out.

My list:

1. Lime Lifesavers (and jellybeans, and lollipops, and everything else that was green and lime-flavored until some idiot came up with the idea that "green apple" was better, or novel, or cheaper or something.

2. Sunshine Golden Raisin Biscuits (no, Garibaldi are not almost as good). I guess they'd be pretty stale by now, though.

3. I know they were "limited-time only" but surely common sense should have prevailed and Mars should have continued to make Almond Joys with dark chocolate.

I would have said Oompa-Loompa candies, but Peanut Butter M&Ms taste a lot better, even if you can't split them into a peanut better half and a chocolate half with your teeth like you could with Oompas (that's sort of infra dig for a 50+ year old anyway).
Old 02-02-2017, 02:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearwildheaven View Post
Wrapped up like a DEUCE, another rumor in the night.....

Hey, you're a Manfred Mann fan! He changes lyrics!!

I prefer the Boss's original lyrics.
Quote:
Cut loose like a deuce, another runner in the night
Old 02-02-2017, 02:43 PM

I so agree on the lime lifesavers (lemon, too). In fact, just bring back the original five flavor lifesavers. The current limited array is just wrong.
Old 02-02-2017, 03:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillownedbysetters View Post
I so agree on the lime lifesavers (lemon, too). In fact, just bring back the original five flavor lifesavers. The current limited array is just wrong.
At least the Tropical Fruit Life Savers are the same flavors they always were.

They DO still make Tropical Fruit Life Savers, don't they?
Old 02-03-2017, 04:02 PM

While you're out in the time machine, please pick up a few cases of Corn-Quistos for me. I loved these nutritionally worthless little crunchy spicy things, and I miss them desperately. Surely this is the snack food of the gods.
Old 02-03-2017, 04:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bump View Post
It is... definitely on Amazon, and at a lot of liquor stores as well.

Also, an outfit named 'Fever Tree' makes an excellent rendition of the soda as well, and it's actually more common than the Schweppes version.
Bundaberg makes a a Lemon lime bitter soda which is superb.

https://www.bundaberg.com/en-us/brew...-lime-bitters/
Old 02-03-2017, 04:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRC4941 View Post
After reading everyone's posts.........

Chef Boyardee Pizza Kits are still great. The best crust ever!! Get the cheese variety and put on your own toppings.

And saltines - 4 squares together! Miss those too.
I used to love those, back when frozen pizza was inedible (except Totinos, but is that really Pizza? ) but I suspect they would measure up anymore.

Krispy Saltine Crackers, Original, I think are still that way??
Old 02-03-2017, 04:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Spayed PI View Post
2. Sunshine Golden Raisin Biscuits (no, Garibaldi are not almost as good). I guess they'd be pretty stale by now, though.
My wife likes these: Khong Guan Sultana Biscuits
Old 02-04-2017, 09:11 AM

Holy heck, B&R's mandarin chocolate sherbet-loved it, hadn't thought of it in forever.
Does anyone remember frozen King crab in a small I think red box, about 6" by maybe 4", called Wakefields? My grandmother used to make the best crab salad with it. Yes, of course I can buy crab legs, but this was so good and convenient. And at I think $4.99 a box, a really special treat back then. Also I would stash lots of boxes of the original Kraft mac and cheese in the blue box. WTF have they done it, they've RUINED it.
Old 02-04-2017, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDeth View Post
My wife likes these: Khong Guan Sultana Biscuits
Thanks! Just ordered some online - I'll let you know!
Old 02-05-2017, 01:51 AM

Nescafe/Nestle's Mocha flavor Ice Java syrup (the current Canadian-only version isn't quite the same)

Edy's Malted Swiss Chocolate Ice Cream

The original pre-HFCS Hostess Cupcakes, the 2-pack, chocolate with the white squiggle

Chocolates from a small candy plant in the "old neighborhood", Mrs Sittler's Pecan Fluffs

The bags of breaded shrimp that we got fresh from the deep fryer at our little neighborhood grocery store on Fridays.

Also rye bread delivered, still warm, to the same store by the nearby Modern Bakery (just up the street from Mrs Sittlers) on Sunday morning

Mmmmm, memories of the original Big Boy - "Marc's" not "Bob's", just a drive-in with "Do not back into space" signs, squawk boxes on poles, and carhops that came out with your order - "Can you roll your window up a little, hon?", and all the local hot rodders making the ground and canopies shake as they sloooooowly cruised through, then nailed it and laid 30 feet of rubber when pulling out (after carefully looking around for the local fuzz.) There was a permanent cloud of Leaded Super Ethyl fumes that hung above the place in warm weather. Damn good burgers too, and killer onion rings.
Old 02-06-2017, 01:53 PM

Gatorade Tiger - Red Drive. Years ago I used to drink that and it was pretty tasty. Had Tiger kept his dick in his pants I'd still have this drink.

Well, at least I now have Crystal Pepsi and Surge colas. I'm only 22 years old and I'm drinking drinks that were out when I was in diapers. (Of course, there's also Coca-Cola with cane sugar (Mexican Coke), but that's been available for years). I find it odd they released Crystal Pepsi for Winter of 2017, but it's the Winter, maybe they'd figure it'd make a great picture of people drinking the soda while out in the snow. (Unless this re-release is a longer batch until people stop drinking it. Who knows?)

There were so many Old Country Buffets/Ryans in the US, now there's just a few. I miss those buffets.