Old 03-07-2017, 06:10 AM
BANNED

What accent does 'Sting' have in his songs?

He's been criticized regularly for his 'fake Jamaican accent' during his years with The Police. I don't think it's that too bad though I haven't heard all his albums (prefer LeBon and other New-Wave/Post Pun music) apart from Synchronicity and a few songs from Ghost In The Machine.

What really baffles me, is his accent during his solo years during the early 90's. Especially in 'Ten Summoner's Tales'. I've asked around but no one can really pinpoint what it is. I don't think it's a Geordie or Jamaican accent. It's sounds to me like 'Old Southern English', a posh American accent of the South that was popular a few decades ago.

If I Ever Lose My Faith In You
Old 03-07-2017, 06:33 AM

I don't think it's as specific as that, it's just the usual English attempt at something vaguely American.

You should hear his odd combination of RP and popsingerese when attempting Dowland
Old 03-07-2017, 06:36 AM
Charter Member

I mean no disrespect to the OP, but I think he is just being Sting. By that point, he had his own brand of jazzy soft rock that took on a variety of global influences when it suited him musically and/or commercially. He has a New Orleans jazz influence since he had Branford Marsalis in his touring band for years.

Add to that a soupcon of his infamous pretention, and I think you have a recipe for Sting Fancy Talk(tm).
Old 03-07-2017, 07:23 AM

I'd like to know what Bryan Ferry was up to.
Old 03-07-2017, 07:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by femmejean View Post
He's been criticized regularly for his 'fake Jamaican accent' during his years with The Police.
Hard to avoid when it's all reggae. He did do another reggae song in his solo career, with Love Is The Seventh Wave, but he sounds very English in that.

Accent in singing is always going to be inconsistent, it seems to be the nature of emulation and fitting it to an artificial cadence.
Old 03-07-2017, 08:00 AM

I think his singing voice just sounds like an extension of his speaking voice (when he isn't channeling Harry Belafonte). Sting Fancy Talk (tm) is cracking me up, though