Old 01-30-2017, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Declan View Post
The only thing that we can conclude from this, is that the DS was designed to be assaulted by Imperial forces, should the commander of said DS go rogue and reach for the purple. As that worthy would have been the second most powerful man in the galaxy, with no apparent fail safes.
Sith happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessan View Post
Are SW blasters laser weapons? I always assumed that they fired charged particle beams.
Never entirely clear. The color we see could just be a tracer so the users know where the heck they just fired.

Just from Star Wars: The Double-bladed lightsaber. Using two lightsabers. Arguably lightsabers altogether, however cool they are.

In Iron Man 3, the Mark 42 armor. Good concept... has some slight issues with stability. And impacts. And not knocking Tony on his butt.

In Batman Begins, the armor prototype. Yes, it's good, but Lucius Fox was being a bit silly to complain that Pentagon was too focused on the cost (three hundred thousand per suit), given that the same amount of money could be better spent almost any other possible way.

Also from Star Trek, the Bat'leth. And even the later, better-made Federation phasers are so poorly designed than the power supply can actually fall out accidentally, plus the whole thing is not ruggedized at all. The Enterprise-D had a saucers separation thingy, which was so useless is was forgotten for the almost the entire TNG series. And that's not getting into all of the outright insane weapons that various mad scientists attempted to create, all of which went disastrously wrong in some way.
Advertisements  
Old 01-30-2017, 06:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Quoth Finagle:

I once read an article (Larry Niven? Isaac Asimov?) on the whole idea of laser pistols. Apparently, not a really great idea. If the other guy is wearing the right color garment, it might just (briefly) reflect off.
That was Niven, and is yet another proof of just how shaky his knowledge of optics is.
Old 01-30-2017, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDibble View Post
Light sabres need crossguards.
Fuck that. First lightsabres need to be sabres. What they get in the movies are lightswords ffs !

Quote:
Originally Posted by asterion
The Fat Man from Fallout is objectively a terrible idea. A man-portable (not crew-served) nuclear weapon launched via catapult on the battlefield. The only thing that makes it work is the game mechanics.
Loosely based on a true thing though. Google the Davy Crockett nuclear recoilless rifle. That piece of wacko insanity actually saw field deployment, too ! The Cold War was a weird time to be alive...
(fake EDIT : so very ninja'd on that one )
Old 01-30-2017, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Declan View Post
The DS was armed to hold off capital ships, not fighter attacks. Even when the republican forces started their attack run, they only had 30 x and y wings, so when Darth takes it to them, they only had maybe four or five ties on screen, when they should have had 10 or 20 squadrons hitting the republicans in a meeting engagement, even before they got within range of the DS.

The only thing that we can conclude from this, is that the DS was designed to be assaulted by Imperial forces, should the commander of said DS go rogue and reach for the purple. As that worthy would have been the second most powerful man in the galaxy, with no apparent fail safes.
Bah. Pure New Republic revisionism. The Death Star had plenty of starfighters available. There was no flaw with it as a weapon (well other than that one little flaw introduced by vile treachery). The true flaw was in the leadership. The arrogance of Grand Moff Tarkin and Darth Vader in assuming that there was no threat from the starfighters. A competent commander would have engaged the rebel scum with the full capabilities of the Death Star and they would have been destroyed.

Man, still craving a sub. I wonder if Subway is still open.

Last edited by BeepKillBeep; 01-30-2017 at 07:47 PM.
Old 01-30-2017, 08:19 PM

Early Iron Man armour. No lenses. Gas in eyes? Bright lights? I assume Stark did not suffer from Photaic Sneeze Syndrome.

Green Lantern ring. Weakness aginst yellow? What if you are an alien and you can't perceive the human visual spectrum?
Old 01-30-2017, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snfaulkner View Post
I think the detonators arm themselves from an impeller on the nose of the bomb. Falling a few feet wouldn't be enough to arm themselves.
Yep... But, as noted, it caused a very high level of stress in everyone nearby.

The author said that the C.O. drove up in a jeep and threatened to shoot the man who dropped those bombs. The pilot said, "I did it." He didn't get shot.

(Bringing the Thunder - the Missions of a World War II B-29 Pilot in the Pacific, by Gordon Bennet Robertson, Jr. Informative and educational!)
Old 01-30-2017, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiling bandit View Post
. . . Also from Star Trek, the Bat'leth. . . .
What's wrong with them? They look cool, and they seem to combine the benefits of a sword, axe, and quarterstaff. Have people gone out and sparred with them, to reveal they don't actually work very well?
Old 01-30-2017, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trinopus View Post
What's wrong with them? They look cool, and they seem to combine the benefits of a sword, axe, and quarterstaff. Have people gone out and sparred with them, to reveal they don't actually work very well?
While some people are that nerdy ( ), the big problem is that you can't actually do anything useful with it. Anybody with any real weapon would hurt you very badly in a heartbeat. You could do alright parrying with it, but you're not going to actually do more than surface damage unless they stand around and let you - which worked out really well for Worf because he had the writers on his side. And the moment you try to go on the offense you've just painted up a massive target on your face. Your best bet would be to either throw it at your foe and run away while he ducks.

Yes, it looks cool, but it's a terrible design. One supposes it could be some kind of ceremonial dueling weapon, since those don't have to make any kind of sense. But that's not really how it's presented. Also, the grip is designed so badly that you're actually working against yourself; it would be mildly painful to use and impossible to properly swing.
Old 01-30-2017, 09:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Yes, it looks cool, but it's a terrible design. One supposes it could be some kind of ceremonial dueling weapon, since those don't have to make any kind of sense. But that's not really how it's presented. Also, the grip is designed so badly that you're actually working against yourself; it would be mildly painful to use and impossible to properly swing.
Producer Guy: "Hey! Prop Guy! Build me a bladed weapon that looks totally cool and alien! Oh and it has to work too!"
Prop Guy: (under his breath) "Humanity has been making bladed weapons for about 4,000 years, ya think I'm gonna come up with something they didn't think of? With this budget and timeline?"
Prop Guy: (out loud) "Sure thing, boss! Here ya go!"
Producer Guy: "Hey, this is cool as shit! Can you make a bunch of them to sell as collectibles to the rubes fans?"
Prop Guy: "Sure thing, boss!" (under breath) "Well, at least that's the bills paid for a few more months."
Old 01-30-2017, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeepKillBeep View Post
Bah. Pure New Republic revisionism. The Death Star had plenty of starfighters available. There was no flaw with it as a weapon (well other than that one little flaw introduced by vile treachery). The true flaw was in the leadership. The arrogance of Grand Moff Tarkin and Darth Vader in assuming that there was no threat from the starfighters. A competent commander would have engaged the rebel scum with the full capabilities of the Death Star and they would have been destroyed.

Man, still craving a sub. I wonder if Subway is still open.
The stench is strong with these imperial sjw's.

DS only had one shot, one. After that it takes time to recharge the big gun, something like 24 hours according to the Death Star Tome. So you blow the big gas giant, and yeah big meteors are going to fall on Y4, long after the Republic forces have vacated the area that you just turned into an asteroid belt.

Sure blame Tarkin, no wait he is dead, Blame Vader, no he is equally dead, anyone with a pulse that you can think of to blame.
Old 01-31-2017, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TYphoonSignal8 View Post
Early Iron Man armour. No lenses. Gas in eyes? Bright lights? I assume Stark did not suffer from Photaic Sneeze Syndrome.

Green Lantern ring. Weakness aginst yellow? What if you are an alien and you can't perceive the human visual spectrum?
I like The Big Bang's take on Power Rings -- the Golden Age Green Lantern's ring didn't work against wood, and the Silver Age's ring was powerless against yellow

"I don't like that both superheroes can be beaten by a number 2 pencil"
Old 01-31-2017, 12:45 PM
2012 SDMB NFL Salary Cap Champ
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
That was Niven, and is yet another proof of just how shaky his knowledge of optics is.
Now I'm trying to remember the author who had mirror-finished armor as defense against laser pistols. Still Niven?

Regarding Niven, the Kzinti Lesson may be true in real life, but also impractical.
Old 01-31-2017, 01:27 PM
Charter Member

In Star Trek, both TOS and TNG, the pistol phasers had no trigger guards.
Old 01-31-2017, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finagle View Post

I once read an article (Larry Niven? Isaac Asimov?) on the whole idea of laser pistols. Apparently, not a really great idea. If the other guy is wearing the right color garment, it might just (briefly) reflect off.
Hello, Friend Troubleshooter! Be mindful of any Commie Mutant Traitors around! Praise the Computer!
Old 01-31-2017, 03:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Explain, please?
Old 01-31-2017, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asterion View Post
Now I'm trying to remember the author who had mirror-finished armor as defense against laser pistols. Still Niven?

Regarding Niven, the Kzinti Lesson may be true in real life, but also impractical.
Mirror-finish armor sounds a bit like Starship troopers, maybe Harrison's Forever War.

Also for Niven, the slide-selector on the pistol that went all the way to "nuclear explosion" (The Soft Weapon).
Old 01-31-2017, 03:39 PM
Charter Member

Mirror-finished armor would actually work reasonably well against a laser, so long as the mirror finish isn't damaged by some other weapon first.

But the problem with just matching colors is that most colors we see are not monochromatic. If you have a shirt that reflects, say, both red and green light, it'll look yellow, but that doesn't mean that it's going to reflect yellow light.

As for bat'leths, I'm fond of the Mimbari traditional ceremonial weapon, from Babylon 5. It's a quarterstaff. They use some fancy alien technology to enable it to easily collapse down to pocket size or expand to full size for use, but for actually fighting with it, it's just a good old fashioned stick. You ask me for one weapon that aliens are sure to have actually used, and the stick is it.
Old 01-31-2017, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Mirror-finished armor would actually work reasonably well against a laser, so long as the mirror finish isn't damaged by some other weapon first.

But the problem with just matching colors is that most colors we see are not monochromatic. If you have a shirt that reflects, say, both red and green light, it'll look yellow, but that doesn't mean that it's going to reflect yellow light.

As for bat'leths, I'm fond of the Mimbari traditional ceremonial weapon, from Babylon 5. It's a quarterstaff. They use some fancy alien technology to enable it to easily collapse down to pocket size or expand to full size for use, but for actually fighting with it, it's just a good old fashioned stick. You ask me for one weapon that aliens are sure to have actually used, and the stick is it.
I agree about the mirror finish -- it's great as long as it's perfectly reflecting. The enemy of Perfectly Reflecting Mirrors is DIRT. You get a spot of dirt on it, and it absorbs the energy from the laser and it heats up. The heat damages your perfectly reflecting surface, which starts to absorb itself, so the next shot heats up the dirt and the damaged mirror, which then damages still more mirror, and so on. The process bootstraps, eventually blowing a hole in your mirror.

This isn't some theoretical idea -- I've seen high power laser mirrors get destroyed in a handful of shots from just this behavior.

The solution is to use a mirror that either can't be damaged by heat (HA! Larry Niven's stasis fields do this. Call me when one's available) or that self-repairs. I knew a guy who built liquid metal mirrors for precisely this reason.

As for the bat'leth, its fatal flaw is the damned thing has no reach. You hold the thing close to your body, and it's stable as a rock. It's clumsy to extend with one hand from one end, though, so a guy comes along with an epee or a foil and pokes you in the eye, because a sword's got a reach and the tip can move swiftly. The bat'leth is fine for close quarters where your enemy can't move away (maybe the Klingons used them in tunnel warfare, or something), but a guy with your quarterstaff can stay out of reach and keep bashing Worf over the head.
Old 01-31-2017, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethilrist View Post
Mirror-finish armor sounds a bit like Starship troopers, maybe Harrison's Forever War.

Also for Niven, the slide-selector on the pistol that went all the way to "nuclear explosion" (The Soft Weapon).

IIRC, the 'Soft Weapon' required some funny jiggery-pokery to get to the really destructive matter conversion mode. The slide just did a number of fairly mundane but useful things, causing the protagonist to speculate that it was a spy's weapon, but not especially good for a foot soldier. Hence, he tried the jiggery-pokery.

Now when you ASK the spy weapon how to get to the cool setting, that's when the fun starts.
Old 01-31-2017, 05:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbh View Post
In Star Trek, both TOS and TNG, the pistol phasers had no trigger guards.
Ditto for the Sandman guns in the Logan's Run movie.

At least the book had the good sense to model them after wild west revolvers.
Old 01-31-2017, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalMeacham View Post
This isn't some theoretical idea -- I've seen high power laser mirrors get destroyed in a handful of shots from just this behavior.

The solution is to use a mirror that either can't be damaged by heat (HA! Larry Niven's stasis fields do this. Call me when one's available) or that self-repairs. I knew a guy who built liquid metal mirrors for precisely this reason.
Or, just use something which doesn't get bounced by mirrors.

Last edited by smiling bandit; 01-31-2017 at 05:35 PM.
Old 01-31-2017, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixdenny View Post
I always thought the Star Wars laser cannons were silly. Speed of light weapon that has no targeting and has to be aimed from a WWII ball turret, like a B52.

Dennis
Are you kidding? Is there any reason at all that anyone besides R2D2 should be piloting the ship at all?

For that matter, why is there even such a thing as an "astromech" droid? IOW, why would you ever want to take all the avionics out of an X-Wing and let it go on crazy adventures?

Last edited by msmith537; 01-31-2017 at 10:29 PM.
Old 01-31-2017, 11:06 PM

Now that I think about it, given we've SEEN how slow phasers are....battles have to be close. Photon torpedoes arn't all that fast either.
Old 02-01-2017, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobal2 View Post
Fuck that. First lightsabres need to be sabres.
Yes, basket hilts could also work. But how are you going to get the blade to curve?
Old 02-01-2017, 03:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Garrison View Post
Yeah, that's the one I thought the link was, didn't even realize that there was a different version. And they might as well. Blowing up a gas giant is only a couple of orders of magnitude more idiotic than blowing up a planet.
Here's the original one.
Old 02-01-2017, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Also, when you are attempting to stab the other guy, he could grab the blade, force it backwards, and stab you with the other end of it.
Old 02-01-2017, 08:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Or, just use something which doesn't get bounced by mirrors.
No radar for your jamming, no lasers to deflect
Just armor made for ramming, and bullets worth respect
--Leslie Fish, "The Discards"
Old 02-01-2017, 09:28 AM
Not a real doctor.
Charter Member

Quote:
Quote:
Also, when you are attempting to stab the other guy, he could grab the blade, force it backwards, and stab you with the other end of it.
Which is why it is worthless as a piercing weapon. The concave curve on it actually inhibits slashing. It doesn't have the range of a quarter-staff.

You might be able to use it like an axe.
Old 02-01-2017, 10:04 AM
Charter Member

Well, really, any robotic sci-fi weapon that misses. Or moves slooowly while croaking "Exterminate, exterminate" or "Kill the Robinsons!". Granted, once you add higher cognitive functions to something, there's no reason it would make decisions faster than a human, but the weapons subsystems? Once it decided to shoot something, that something should be dead in a millisecond. The Terminator movies and Robocop got it mostly right -- except where the subject was protected by plot armor, they pretty much killed what they aimed for with deadly efficiency.

Same thing with blasters and lasers. Is this the future or isn't it? I have cameras now that can do sufficient recognition to pick out faces. Why would you build a optical-based weapon if it doesn't have target recognition and lock? Especially if you're going to be using those weapons in space ships?
Old 02-01-2017, 10:32 AM

Sharks with freakin' laser beams.
Old 02-01-2017, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Yes, basket hilts could also work. But how are you going to get the blade to curve?
The same way you get it to have a finite length
Old 02-01-2017, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmith537 View Post
For that matter, why is there even such a thing as an "astromech" droid? IOW, why would you ever want to take all the avionics out of an X-Wing and let it go on crazy adventures?
Astromechs are actually fairly limited in what they can and can't do. They're here to plot lightspeed courses that don't plow through stars - that's their stated and major role, with a secondary repair task because the little guys can crawl where human mechanics can't and operate in space without any issue.
Many pilots just also happen to use them as ad hoc autopilots, flight recorders, computer experts, amusing chirping sidekicks, what have you. But it's kinda like using your phone as an mp3 player : sure, it can do that, but that's not really what it's for. FTR, Deetoo is a heavily modded one - your fresh out the factory R2 unit doesn't have a built-in zapper, oil spewer, lightsaber flinger, jetpack...
Old 02-01-2017, 11:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Astromechs are actually fairly limited in what they can and can't do. They're here to plot lightspeed courses that don't plow through stars - that's their stated and major role, with a secondary repair task because the little guys can crawl where human mechanics can't and operate in space without any issue.
That sort of makes no sense. If they're just flight computers, why do they need wheels? All you'd need is a mac-mini-sized black box in the cockpit. And if they're designed to be repair bots, why is their form factor so terrible for it? I can't think of many places a rolling mailbox with no arms can go that I can't.
Old 02-01-2017, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Many pilots just also happen to use them as ad hoc autopilots, flight recorders, computer experts, amusing chirping sidekicks, what have you. But it's kinda like using your phone as an mp3 player : sure, it can do that, but that's not really what it's for. FTR, Deetoo is a heavily modded one - your fresh out the factory R2 unit doesn't have a built-in zapper, oil spewer, lightsaber flinger, jetpack...
For something with so many functions, how are people supposed to interact with it? R2 is shown understanding human speech, but its ability to reply seems pretty limited. There's not much point in having something process information if it can't communicate the results.
Old 02-01-2017, 12:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Well, really, any robotic sci-fi weapon that misses.
Ever seen 'em try to build an accurate shooting robot on Mythbusters? Getting it to hit the same spot consistently is hard!
Old 02-01-2017, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robot Arm View Post
For something with so many functions, how are people supposed to interact with it? R2 is shown understanding human speech, but its ability to reply seems pretty limited. There's not much point in having something process information if it can't communicate the results.
If a protocol droid has storage space to contain six million forms of communication, you'd think all droids would have room to tuck away the six thousand most common languages is a small corner somewhere. Or even six hundred. Or sixty. Or six.
Old 02-01-2017, 01:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
If a protocol droid has storage space to contain six million forms of communication, you'd think all droids would have room to tuck away the six thousand most common languages is a small corner somewhere. Or even six hundred. Or sixty. Or six.
It likely has the memory but not a speaker.
Old 02-01-2017, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robot Arm View Post
For something with so many functions, how are people supposed to interact with it? R2 is shown understanding human speech, but its ability to reply seems pretty limited.
You could say the same of Chewbacca, but Han apparently understands him.
Old 02-01-2017, 01:18 PM

Quote:
I think the detonators arm themselves from an impeller on the nose of the bomb. Falling a few feet wouldn't be enough to arm themselves.
And the explosives they were filled with was relatively insensitive, so without an explicit detonation, they were unlikely to explode on their own, even when exposed to heat and impact.
Old 02-01-2017, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Pulse rifles firing 10mm explosive tip caseless standard light armor piercing rounds are good for rupturing primary heat exchangers inside what are basically giant fusion reactors.
Maybe, but that wasn't the weeapon that did. The magazines for all the standard pulse rifles were collected prior to that little extravaganza. The weapon that seems most likely to have done that damage was the M56 Smartgun, since Drake and Vasquez snuck some ammo past the sarge.
Old 02-01-2017, 01:22 PM
Agnatheist
Charter Member

Probably already done, but I think the worst is the Fallout universe MIRV. The Fatman is bad enough, but I have never survived the use of a MIRV in actual combat (I managed to survive a few shots at it's maximum range just for shits and giggles in Fallout 3). Even if you COULD survive the loot would be in a heavy radiation zone, and what good is it to kill mobs if you can't loot them???
Old 02-01-2017, 01:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracer View Post
Ever seen 'em try to build an accurate shooting robot on Mythbusters? Getting it to hit the same spot consistently is hard!
Honestly, I'm not sure you can compare the efforts of a couple of guys in a machine shop with a deadline and limited budget to the kind of technology and budget available to a civilization that can build a space station the size of a moon. And I'm assuming that blaster bolts and lasers are less likely to be affected by aerodynamic randomness than paintballs or darts which is what the Mythbusters are usually shooting.
Old 02-01-2017, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Quote:
The same way you get it to have a finite length
Just suspend a microscopic rotating black hole out from the hilt and, Voila, scimitar!
Old 02-01-2017, 02:35 PM

Quote:
. . . I have cameras now that can do sufficient recognition to pick out faces. Why would you build a optical-based weapon if it doesn't have target recognition and lock? . . .
They were experimenting with this for tank warfare, where tanks could recognize friendlies, and not shoot at them.

A bloke I know was working on something similar for hand-held firearms: the gun wouldn't shoot unless there was an actual person in the line of fire. He bleakly referred to it as "murder helper."
Old 02-01-2017, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XT View Post
Probably already done, but I think the worst is the Fallout universe MIRV. The Fatman is bad enough, but I have never survived the use of a MIRV in actual combat (I managed to survive a few shots at it's maximum range just for shits and giggles in Fallout 3). Even if you COULD survive the loot would be in a heavy radiation zone, and what good is it to kill mobs if you can't loot them???
The Fallout 4 version of the MIRV is crazy. 6 mini-nukes. But that's a mod; you can put that on if you want it (at the weapons workbench) or take it off.

A two-shot legendary version of a Fat Man can also be MIRV'ed. This is ridiculous, really. 12 mini-nukes, with concomitant reduction of throw range. I've had characters killed through injudicious use of such a weapon, when the spread of the MIRV effect put a few of the mini-nukes behind me.
Old 02-01-2017, 02:58 PM
Charter Member

With regard to making a lightsaber blade curve:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corner Case View Post
Just suspend a microscopic rotating black hole out from the hilt and, Voila, scimitar!
You always did look for the simplest, easiest-to-implement solution, didn'tcha.
Old 02-01-2017, 02:59 PM
Agnatheist
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corner Case View Post
Actually, if a light saber is really a plasma sword you could probably make it curve...and probably do the basket hilt thingy too. How you'd protect yourself from the massive temps is another issue, of course...

Old 02-01-2017, 03:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracer View Post
With regard to making a lightsaber blade curve:

You always did look for the simplest, easiest-to-implement solution, didn'tcha.
Why look for an elegant engineering solution when you can just Force it?
Old 02-01-2017, 03:33 PM

Samus Aran's power armor makes much less sense than Tony Stark's. Huge shoulder pads that blocks periphery vision. Arm cannon covering entire forearm with articulation only at the eldow; how does she aim it, where's the ammo stored? How does she and the suit fit into a 1-meter sphere? How the hell does she keep orientated jump-flipping everywhere?
Old 02-01-2017, 06:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Quoth gnoitall:

The Fallout 4 version of the MIRV is crazy.
Speaking of MIRVs, does anyone else remember the game Scorched Earth? Specifically, does anyone else remember the Death's Head? And did anyone else ever set the explosion sizes to the maximum possible?

In all of the thousands of times I've played that game, I think I might have survived using the Death's Head twice. But it was always worth it.