Old 02-21-2017, 05:45 PM

The "Lost in Space" Robot (B9)'s claws could have used a bit more directional accuracy when shooting out electricity; seems to just cover everything in the immediate vicinity. And the NOISE!
Advertisements  
Old 02-21-2017, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by si_blakely View Post
As I recall (I haven't read Dune in over 30 years) the personal shields could have been set to stop even slow moving objects, but the user would have run out of breathable air within the shield very quickly.
Huh, so a shield is a personal Maxwell's Demon. I guess I shouldn't be surprised about a mere violation of the 2nd law of thermodynamics in a setting where people routinely bend time and space with their thoughts...
Old 02-21-2017, 08:19 PM

Is it a violation of the laws of thermodynamics if the force-shield requires a large amount of energy to create and sustain? Overall, the laws are being obeyed, just the same way your refrigerator does.
Old 02-21-2017, 08:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampspruce View Post
It's only been peripherally mentioned but non- crew served BFGs generally are really dumb unless you're scaled to hold it (Like a Giant or Troll in D&D holding a two-handed sword one handed). Predator and the mini-gun comes to mind off the top of my head. Even if you could hold and aim it you only get about a seconds worth of firing before you're out of ammo.
Know what happens when you fire a Barrett .50 from the hip? You spin in a circle.
Same applies for the stupid swords in the Final Fantasy series.
Probably not. I've seen the recoil from a .50 (with a muzzle brake) to be compared to that of a magnum 12 gauge. What's really rough on the shooter is that some of the sound and concussion is directed sideways/backward rather than forward.
Old 02-22-2017, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiling bandit View Post
I don't believe that was ever continuity.

I have a theory that the TIE/X-Wing difference came indirectly from WW2. The TIE would have been based on the Japanese "Zero," being a lightning-quick fighter but one without the firepower or toughness for a stand-up brawl. The X-Wing was probably based on the various American aircraft, which tended to be much tougher and more heavily armed. I could never find any specific description to demonstrate this, but I assume it's because Lucas was familiar with old war movies and used them to describe his setting and develop his space battles.
I read in a book long ago that the X-Wing's were deliberately designed after WW2 fighters. Notably the "lock s-foils into attack position" is based off the dive breaks on an SBD Dauntless dive bomber and the R2DR position is based off the "bubble" rear gunner window of a TBF Avenger torpedo bomber. Both were also well known for their rugged construction.
Old 02-22-2017, 07:13 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snfaulkner View Post
I think the detonators arm themselves from an impeller on the nose of the bomb. Falling a few feet wouldn't be enough to arm themselves.
Tail, actually. As this ... documentary shows Arizona buying it.

Also, the bombs were kept on safe with a pull-ring and a short length of cable jamming the works. After takeoff, the bombardier and engineer would pull all of the rings. When I was a kid, a friend's bombardier father showed me his collection of rings with the date and a city on a tag for each one.
Old 02-22-2017, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asuka View Post
I read in a book long ago that the X-Wing's were deliberately designed after WW2 fighters.
And the Death Star trench run was lifted from The Dam Busters.
Old 02-22-2017, 01:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by running coach View Post
Probably not. I've seen the recoil from a .50 (with a muzzle brake) to be compared to that of a magnum 12 gauge. What's really rough on the shooter is that some of the sound and concussion is directed sideways/backward rather than forward.
I think you really need one of those helmets that aircraft carrier deck crewmen wear to shoot a .50 with a muzzle brake.
Old 02-23-2017, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by running coach View Post
Good point, and I probably could have used a better example like this one.... I don't care how big you are, this is dumb.

Last edited by swampspruce; 02-23-2017 at 04:18 PM.
Old 02-23-2017, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trinopus View Post
Is it a violation of the laws of thermodynamics if the force-shield requires a large amount of energy to create and sustain? Overall, the laws are being obeyed, just the same way your refrigerator does.
True, but without doing a bunch of math from a barely-remembered thermochem class, the energy required to maintain that has to be mindbogglingly enormous.

Besides, if the gas in the shield has a root mean square velocity of, say, 1 m/s, the temperature inside is 1 milliKelvin. That alone presents another rather significant set of problems for the shield user...
Old 03-01-2017, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scr4 View Post
The Death Star has a more inexplicable flaw - while it can travel interstellar distances in a matter of days, it takes hours to get to the other side of a planet.
You can't enter hyperspace from a gravity well. Creating artificial gravity wells is how you prevent ships from escaping by jumping away.
Old 03-01-2017, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDeth View Post
Blasters and Phasers dont seem to be any much better than modern small arms. Except Phasers can stun.
No recoil.

Little or no range or windage adjustments necessary.

Almost unlimited ammo.
Old 03-01-2017, 09:06 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trinopus View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damuri Ajashi View Post
You can't enter hyperspace from a gravity well. Creating artificial gravity wells is how you prevent ships from escaping by jumping away.
Speaking of these two, the amount of energy required for a tractor beam would be quite immense as well. When they recently discovered gravitational waves, they estimated that the black holes involved were temporarily putting out as much energy as the rest of the universe combined, and the gravitational waves would have been barely felt at 1 AU.
Old 03-01-2017, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
That was Niven, and is yet another proof of just how shaky his knowledge of optics is.
Yeah I figured that out when I burned my ass on a shiny (like a mirror) stainless steel stool.
Old 03-01-2017, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finagle View Post
Hard to see any real benefit vs passing a piece of high velocity steel or lead through the same object. Maybe for long distances, you don't have to worry about windage or gravity, but you do have to worry about diffraction and beam spreadage. Also, if there are any specular surfaces around, you could put your eye out.
I think the notion is that we will eventually develop a way to fit a fusion reactor into the magazine well of a blaster and end up with virtually limitless ammo.

Quote:
Also, I wouldn't want to be *anywhere* around a variable sword or any other type of monofilament infinitely sharp weapon unless I was wearing a protective suit, because the mere idea of fighting or even being in the same room with a flailing length of "cut anything in half" gives me the willies.
I love the idea of monofilament blades. Monofilament blades tend to come in two varieties. In one, the monofilament is kept taut like the bow of a violin and is like a regular sword that has a monofilament edge that lines the edge of a regular sword that acts like a wedge behind the monofilament blade. In the other the monofilament blade is retractable and is kept taut by magnetic repulsion (usually from a ball at the tip of the monofilament. The tension is taut enough to prevent momentum from letting the monofilament whip around but there is still a little bit of whipping action like a fencing foil but the action is in the blade.
Old 03-01-2017, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TYphoonSignal8 View Post
Dune's shields. Stop fast projectiles, don't stop slow melee weapons.

So you can't kill me with a machine gun, but you could smack my brains out with a frying pan. Rightio.
And an energy weapon turns you into a nuclear bomb
Old 03-01-2017, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Blistering Barnacle View Post
Niven had a field that could hold you immobile, used in his "crash field" and "police web". I don't think it was based on acceleration or jerk.
Yeah, there was a landing party that was held immobile by a bunch of kids throwing rocks at them ad nauseum.
Old 03-01-2017, 10:43 AM

A vote for the Lazygun from Iain Banks' Against a Dark Background.

A weapon with a sense of humour. With the small detail that any attempt to dismantle it will cause an explosion of planet destroying intensity.

Which obviously brings up the bombs from Dark Star. Now that is a poorly thought out bit of design.
Old 03-01-2017, 11:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
No recoil.

Little or no range or windage adjustments necessary.

Almost unlimited ammo.
How long will the battery last?
Old 03-01-2017, 12:40 PM

Quote:
How long will the battery last?
Do you remember anyone ever reloading?
Old 03-01-2017, 01:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Mom on Futurama. "Oh, hang on, I'm out of power. Where's the charger for this thing?"
Old 03-01-2017, 01:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
ST Phasers ran out all the time.
Old 03-01-2017, 01:35 PM

In Star Wars, at least, the guns are supposed to be plasma/particle weapons, not lasers. I assume that refills for his blaster are what were on Han Solo's jacket. (Unless they are Imperial ball point pens "code cylinders" for some reason.)
Old 03-04-2017, 08:04 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
ST Phasers ran out all the time.
And an episode in Firefly didn't show a reload either, but low battery warning. It was the episode's asshole so it turned out okay.

Then there's the time Jayne tried to shoot a door lock with an Alliance sonic weapon with negligible results. Grumbling about "high-tech crap" he bashed it open with the gun stock.
Old 03-06-2017, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftg View Post
5 pages in and no one mentions replicants? Sure, they'll die eventually but as Batty and friends show, they can do some real damage in the meantime if they get loose. No remote kill switch. No tracking system. Shoot, they can somehow magically evade being detected without a Voight-Kampff machine when they look exactly like their id pictures!

Nobody thought of tattooing "REPLICANT" in big letters on their forehead? An RFID chip in their skulls?
My humanoid robot has .50 Desert Eagle tattooed on his forehead.

But seriously. What do they need a V-K machine for? The Blade Runner cops HAD MUG SHOTS!!

Not too long ago I started this thread discussing the flaws inherent to designing future robots as either "giant sarcastic robots" or "weaponized sex dolls". There is literally no user experience value in creating killer robots that either drop a clever one liner before they kill you or that most straight males would want to fuck if they weren't on a psychotic rampage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
It's really, really hard to fall out of the sky, especially for something unguided..
Yeah..well. Tell that to the crew of the Executor.

On a serious note, since the ships in Star Wars use anti gravity, they don't need to actually be in a stable orbit. If the star destroyer in Empire was using its anti gravity for station keeping, it could very well get pulled to the surface by Hoth's gravity once those engines became disabled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishman View Post
Lightsabers have an in-universe explanation for why more people don't quisinart themselves - they are only used by Force sensitives. They're able to control the weapons very precisely. Or something.

A joke in my family, this was acted out: Han Solo sees a lightsaber on the ground, tries to pick it up like a club, but grabs the wrong end.
How is it any different from picking up a regular knife or sword or even a blowtorch? I assume most people manage to do that without slicing off a limb.

Quote:
It makes sense as a ceremonial weapon.
Yes, if that ceremony involves presenting it to some Starfleet captain who just boarded your ship with a platoon of Federation Security troops or Marines or whatever they use.
Old 03-07-2017, 02:27 AM

Quote:
And an energy weapon turns you into a nuclear bomb
It turns the shooter into a bomb too. or just kills both shooter and target, it's not predictable.
Old 03-07-2017, 02:50 AM

The anti-fighter missiles in Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith that behaved like normal heat-seeking missiles except when they exploded instead of an explosive charge they instead deployed a bunch of small baseball size droids that latch onto your spacecrafts wings and deploy lasers to cut into your wings and tear them apart.

I don't care what the limits to explosions are in space, anything would be more useful to pack in that missile warhead then small droids that have to take a significant amount of time to do damage to the spacecraft as opposed to instantly knocking it out.
Old 03-07-2017, 04:19 AM

Peter David, in his ST:TNG novel, Strike Zone conceptualized a weapon which would vaporize whatever it was aimed at. Unfortunately, the beam continued past the target, hugging the curvature of the ground, until it completely traveled around whatever world the user was standing on, and hit him in the back. It was labeled, appropriately enough, "Remarkably Stupid Weapon. Do Not Use."

https://books.google.com/books?id=Ks...%20use&f=false