Old 02-08-2017, 02:48 PM

Cafe Society Confessions: What's yours?

I consider R.E.M. to be my "favorite band" simply for the amount of songs I enjoy by them.

- But I HATE 'Losing My Religion', and love 'Shinny Happy People'.
Old 02-08-2017, 03:18 PM

In a similar vein, my favorite artist is Bob Dylan, and I think that Blowin' In The Wind is one of his weakest songs. I once heard a radio interview with Van Morrison in which he was asked about Brown Eyed Girl, and he replied with something like :"What's up with that song? I probably wrote 300 better ones." And he was right, just like Dylan probably wrote 400 better songs than Blowin'.
Old 02-08-2017, 03:19 PM
Charter Member

I thought Fences was a pointless vanity project and I was annoyed for having seen it. On top of that, I think Denzel is highly overrated and only has one gear. This movie is pretty highly regarded so I thought I'd put it here.

To add some positivity to my post, I thought The Edge of Seventeen was award worthy.

There is nothing unique or confession-worthy about my favorite band, it's Queen.

Last edited by drm; 02-08-2017 at 03:20 PM.
Old 02-08-2017, 04:13 PM
Shouting Grasshopper

Silly Love Songs is one of my all-time favorite McCartney tunes.
Old 02-08-2017, 04:15 PM

I once made Thanksgiving gravy from a packet, because the bird was too dry to generate any drippings.

I consider E.T. to be one of the worst, least kid-friendly movies ever made.
Old 02-08-2017, 04:17 PM

I dislike The Princess Bride (yeah, yeah, inconceivable, I know) and loathe The Big Bang Theory.

On the flip side, I enjoy fast food and stupid fluffy romance movies.
Old 02-08-2017, 04:37 PM

Dances with Wolves is one of my favorite movies ever.

I'm on board with many of the changes to the Lord of the Rings movies, including no Tom Bombadil and no Scouring of the Shire. Interestingly, I never really liked those part of the book before I saw the movies.

I don't care if some movies are historically inaccurate, I enjoy the movies themselves, like Braveheart and Sound of Music.

I prefer instant grits to real grits.

Last edited by HubZilla; 02-08-2017 at 04:37 PM.
Old 02-08-2017, 04:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondebear View Post
And what's wrong with that, I'd like to know?
Old 02-08-2017, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HubZilla View Post

I prefer instant grits to real grits.
"No self-respecting southerner uses instant grits."

- My Cousin Vinny.
Old 02-08-2017, 04:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyFootsZZZ View Post
I consider R.E.M. to be my "favorite band" simply for the amount of songs I enjoy by them.

- But I HATE 'Losing My Religion', and love 'Shinny Happy People'.
I'm even worse... I've never cared much for Murmur. To me, it's "Radio Free Europe", the weird one about climbing the stairs, and 10 interchangeable janglepop songs that all sound the same.
And... I like Monster.

And while I freely admit Phantom Menace sucks donkey balls, I actually enjoyed the other 2 prequels. They're flawed, but not the abominations the internet insists they are.
Old 02-08-2017, 05:01 PM

Good Burger was a hilarious comedy.
I like fried Spam.
I grew up on Top 40 music and I love it.
And probably because of the last one, there are classical spurts of music that I love very much but not whole damn songs. They are too long and get stupid boring after a while. A Little Night Music is about as long a classical piece that I can take.
Old 02-08-2017, 05:40 PM

I think Pentatonix is an amazingly brilliant group, and I love maybe one-tenth of their stuff. I am totally not interested in any of their modern, pop, hip-hop covers. I'll listen to some of their Christmas songs, some of the ones they've written themselves, Hallelujah and a few other all day long, but if I were to buy one of their albums, maybe one or two songs would make it onto my MP3 player.
Old 02-08-2017, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggirl View Post
I like fried Spam.
As do all good people.

I have tried to watch Breaking Bad. Seriously, I have. I made it through several episodes but I just don't care!
Old 02-08-2017, 06:59 PM

I enjoy watching Popeye (yes, the Robin Williams/Shelly Duvall one).

Despite fair ratings and making lots of money, I find the new Star Trek reboot (all three of them) to be below average in entertainment, science fiction, and logic.
Old 02-08-2017, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typo Negative View Post
As do all good people.
Have you seen them?
Old 02-08-2017, 07:11 PM

Jurassic Park III is the best JP sequel. (They're all pretty substandard, though)
Old 02-08-2017, 07:15 PM

Newhart is one of my favorite TV series of all time. I rewatch it on youtube all the time. I hate the ending, where it's all a dream. I feel like it undermines the whole series.

I'm a mathematician, and I loathe the concept of "pi day".
Old 02-08-2017, 07:23 PM
Charter Member

As a young teen, I was waaaaaay too into the song sometimes when we touch. I'm fortunate that my crooning of this tune to my girlfriend didn't drive her away.

Though she still forbids me to sing it in her presence, over 4 decades later. And she's right to do so.

I will sing "Brandy" in front of her, though.
Old 02-08-2017, 07:23 PM
Charter Member

I know remarkably little about the vast majority of TV shows, pop music and movies made past 2000 or even a little before that. That isn't some bullshit hipster thing either because I am not one.

I like TV, music and many movies but I just never get around to watching the newer stuff because I would have to sit down and focus and that is usually too much work so the depth of my ignorance on those is astounding.

For instance, I was thinking just the other day that I should watch those "new" movies, The Matrix and Fight Club that I hear so much about. I even own them but have never gotten around to watching them even though I could at any time (it isn't going to be tonight though). Almost everything is like that with few exceptions. I am 43, not 80.

The only movie I have seen in the theater is the last three years is Finding Dory and I love watching Spongebob Squarepants reruns. I have kids but those are my picks, not theirs. I also think Titanic is the best movie ever made and I never get tired of it.
Old 02-08-2017, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChockFullOfHeadyGoodness View Post
And while I freely admit Phantom Menace sucks donkey balls, I actually enjoyed the other 2 prequels. They're flawed, but not the abominations the internet insists they are.
I confess, I agree with this wholeheartedly.
Old 02-08-2017, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qadgop the Mercotan View Post
As a young teen, I was waaaaaay too into the song sometimes when we touch. I'm fortunate that my crooning of this tune to my girlfriend didn't drive her away.

Though she still forbids me to sing it in her presence, over 4 decades later. And she's right to do so.
But what does your wife say?
Old 02-08-2017, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondebear View Post
"Wonderful Christmas Time" is one of mine, and one of my favorite Christmas songs too.

As for R.E.M., "Losing My Religion" is an OK song but I have never liked the video, let alone figured out what's so great about it. I know it has great lighting, etc.; I just don't get the "instant classic" thing.
Old 02-08-2017, 07:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azeotrope View Post
I dislike The Princess Bride (yeah, yeah, inconceivable, I know) and loathe The Big Bang Theory.

On the flip side, I enjoy fast food and stupid fluffy romance movies.
I can't get into Young Frankenstein; I've tried to watch it many times and never laughed at any part.
Old 02-08-2017, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChockFullOfHeadyGoodness View Post
I'm even worse... I've never cared much for Murmur. To me, it's "Radio Free Europe", the weird one about climbing the stairs, and 10 interchangeable janglepop songs that all sound the same.
And... I like Monster
"Murmur" is my favorite R.E.M. album, and has been since I first heard it a couple weeks after its 1983 release.

The least popular R.E.M. song, per the band's aficionados, is probably "Airportman". I love that song, and always have.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28VlDklpidw
Old 02-08-2017, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnGalt View Post
I can't get into Young Frankenstein; I've tried to watch it many times and never laughed at any part.
I didn't think "Blazing Saddles" was funny either.
Old 02-08-2017, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagnasty View Post
The only movie I have seen in the theater is the last three years is Finding Dory and I love watching Spongebob Squarepants reruns. I have kids but those are my picks, not theirs. I also think Titanic is the best movie ever made and I never get tired of it.
I was over thirty when I watched my first Spongebob Squarepants episode, and I still think that the show was a work of genius. Squidward is the best and funniest fictional misanthropic character I've ever encountered.

OTOH, better don't ask me about Titanic...
Old 02-08-2017, 07:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatopescado View Post
Have you seen them?
I've seen all good people eat their Spam each day, so satisfied I'm...no, no ,no, it just won't do.
Old 02-08-2017, 08:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

I will sing "Brandy" in front of her, though.
Oh Qadgop - oh no.

Brandy I can get behind, but that song? Yeah, that would be cause for revocation of your Man Card.
Old 02-08-2017, 08:17 PM

I detest Seinfeld.
Old 02-08-2017, 08:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Lendervedder View Post
But what does your wife say?
She and my girlfriend from HS get along marvelously, being the same person.
Old 02-08-2017, 08:28 PM

Quote:
She and my girlfriend from HS get along marvelously, being the same person.
That's a good thing. I would not get along at all with the person I was in high school.
Old 02-08-2017, 08:39 PM

Hair metal is infinitely better than grunge
Old 02-08-2017, 09:10 PM

I have not seen a single, full episode of The Simpsons.
Old 02-08-2017, 09:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Mine, too. I also like most of Tom Cruise's films and Mel Gibson's movies.
Old 02-08-2017, 09:17 PM
Charter Member

I don't understand all the hate for Nickelback. I'm not saying they're in the same league as the Beatles but they seem like a decent rock band that's put out some good songs.
Old 02-08-2017, 09:26 PM

I think Harry Potter is stupid, and I can't believe adults who otherwise read real things enjoy it, let alone act so enthusiastic about it.

I never win at Risk. Ever.
Old 02-08-2017, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
I don't understand all the hate for Nickelback. I'm not saying they're in the same league as the Beatles but they seem like a decent rock band that's put out some good songs.
I agree. But then again, I have already confessed to liking "bad" music.
Old 02-08-2017, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typo Negative View Post
As do all good people.

I have tried to watch Breaking Bad. Seriously, I have. I made it through several episodes but I just don't care!
Yeah. Same goes for Mad Men.
Old 02-08-2017, 09:35 PM

Rush may be the most overrated band in the history of music.
Old 02-08-2017, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponch8 View Post
Shut your filthy mouth.

Everyone I know loves Doctor Who. I have never made it through a single episode, and I have tried.
Old 02-08-2017, 10:12 PM

I have regularly watched shows I couldn't stand, just because they had hot women in them.
Old 02-08-2017, 10:13 PM

I've enjoyed a handful of episodes of the new Doctor Who (Eccleston and beyond), but I've found most episodes to be poorly-written and over-produced. All spectacle and no story.

I've tried to get through the first episode of Breaking Bad on three separate occasions. But I can't do it. The thought of watching a good man turn into a criminal mastermind is just too depressing.

I can't listen to Rush. The lead singer's voice makes my skin crawl.
Old 02-08-2017, 10:38 PM

I thought Milli Vanilli had some great songs, and I still listen to them from time to time. After the lip synching scandal, the actual singers released another album (but it sold very poorly). One song on this album, "Hard as Hell," sampled AC/DC's "Highway to Hell." I think the Real Milli Vanilli song is better than the AC/DC song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXUHTJBcD6I
Old 02-08-2017, 11:13 PM

Quote:

I'm on board with many of the changes to the Lord of the Rings movies, including no Tom Bombadil and no Scouring of the Shire. Interestingly, I never really liked those part of the book before I saw the movies.
I thought this was supposed to be some kind of "Guilty pleasures" thread. Both of those are quite logical.

Mine: "Thelma and Louise" is not a Chick Flick. You're supposed to feel sorry for them. There's like ten times the psychological disintegration of the two (especially Geena) then there is some kind of feminist girl power stuff.
Old 02-08-2017, 11:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
That isn't exactly a fringe idea but I completely agree. I didn't even realize who they were until about 7 years ago although I had heard the name. They turned out to be that band that I instinctively react to by changing the station as fast as humanly possible when they play a song on the radio. I forced myself to listen to a few whole songs as a challenge (that may have been more difficult than an intensive TSA screen) but I will never do it again. I hear they have amazing technical talent but I can't take the lead singer's voice. I am sure he is a great person but that simply isn't something that I want to be subjected to.
Old 02-08-2017, 11:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I thought Milli Vanilli had some great songs, and I still listen to them from time to time. After the lip synching scandal, the actual singers released another album (but it sold very poorly). One song on this album, "Hard as Hell," sampled AC/DC's "Highway to Hell." I think the Real Milli Vanilli song is better than the AC/DC song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXUHTJBcD6I
I agree. I love even the original Milli Vanilli and still listen to their songs regularly. The whole scandal was pretty dumb. I understand it was fraud in some sense but that doesn't hold much weight in this era of autotune, lipsyncing and elaborate backup singers and dancers. A real band produced the hit songs and those are legitimate as any other from a radio standpoint. They were scammed as much as anyone and shouldn't have been blackballed for it. Half the performers now can't write songs or even sing. The pop music industry has gone full Johnny Bravo.
Old 02-08-2017, 11:37 PM

I don't understand musicals.
Old 02-08-2017, 11:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlonius View Post
I don't understand musicals.
Does anyone? I know I don't either but the funniest are the mandatory ones in Indian Bollywood films. They basically require musical interludes even in action films. I deeply suspect they have no idea why they have them either.
Old 02-08-2017, 11:43 PM

I'll deride anyone who purposeful orders/cooks/eats a filet mignon well done, but I have no problem with ketchup on a hot dog.
Old 02-08-2017, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagnasty View Post
Does anyone? I know I don't either but the funniest are the mandatory ones in Indian Bollywood films. They basically require musical interludes even in action films. I deeply suspect they have no idea why they have them either.
According to my wife, not everyone has to understand them to enjoy them, but I just can't get there.