Old 01-31-2017, 12:30 PM

Gielgud shot me a disapproving look. Encounters with celebrities.

It was London in the 70s. I was in my 20s then, in my disreputable hippie days, and walking on the north side of Trafalgar Square. Suddenly I recognized the unmistakable form of Sir John Gielgud approaching me (don't think he was a Sir then but he may have been). As we neared each other our eyes met for just a moment and he shot me a look of the purest disapproval. The only thing visible in my eyes would have been awe and surprise.

His obvious dislike didn't trouble me. Believe me, most looks that the young got from older people then back in the late 60s/early 70s did range from bemused to disapproving to hostile so you got used to it. But I've never forgotten the moment.

Any other chance meetings with celebrities (whether they went badly or well) that Dopers remember?
Advertisements  
Old 01-31-2017, 12:46 PM

Mark Lenard walked by my vendors table at a con. He gave me the, "I'm being taken around to say hello to the vendors" look.
Old 01-31-2017, 01:57 PM

I have a Donald Trump story
Old 01-31-2017, 02:01 PM

Walking with my wife & her parents, midtown Broadway many years ago, I slowly recognized Henny Youngman walking towards us. As soon I realized it was him, he winked at me.

Just a few years ago, wife, young son & I were in the Christmas mob looking at the tree in Rockefeller Center when I noticed we were standing next to Yoko Ono, all by herself. We wished each other Merry Christmas.
Old 01-31-2017, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steatopygia View Post
Jeez, I was typing when this was posted!

We're all ears...
Old 01-31-2017, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Show us on this doll where the bad man touched you....
Old 01-31-2017, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphonious Polemic View Post
Show us on this doll where the bad man touched you....
I think we all know.
Old 01-31-2017, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldiboronti View Post
It was London in the 70s. I was in my 20s then, in my disreputable hippie days, and walking on the north side of Trafalgar Square. Suddenly I recognized the unmistakable form of Sir John Gielgud approaching me (don't think he was a Sir then but he may have been). As we neared each other our eyes met for just a moment and he shot me a look of the purest disapproval. The only thing visible in my eyes would have been awe and surprise.

His obvious dislike didn't trouble me. Believe me, most looks that the young got from older people then back in the late 60s/early 70s did range from bemused to disapproving to hostile so you got used to it. But I've never forgotten the moment.

Any other chance meetings with celebrities (whether they went badly or well) that Dopers remember?
Maybe Gielgud just didn't fielgud that day.
Old 01-31-2017, 02:29 PM
BANNED

I was in the audience when Tom Selleck was on "Colbert" on January 12th. As he walked into the wings, there came a point when he knew that the camera, which had been on and was following him, was finally turned off.
He then turned to face the audience... and he gave us all Such a Nasty Stink-Eye!

Not a waive, not a smile, not even a well-mannered nod. It was if we were all just beneath him just because we were clapping & trying to raise the energy of the show.
Its like he thought that it was our fault that he was a Pretty Boring Guest and that all his (attempted) joke responses to Colbert fell flat.

"Higgins, why am I such an Entitled Asshole...?"
"Because your entire personality consists of a rented sports car and a bad 70s guitar riff...?"

Last edited by Count Blucher; 01-31-2017 at 02:30 PM.
Old 01-31-2017, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cochrane View Post
<snicker> Good one!

Last year coming home from vacation, my husband and I saw Jamie Hyneman in the SFO airport. He and his wife were walking through the terminal ahead of us, but close enough that we could tell it was definitely him. We played it cool instead of acting like fanbois. However, I noticed that he ended up at the gate next to ours. I still didn't pay any further attention, until I noticed that he was standing in front of me a few feet away and staring at the big honking mobile decoration thing in the ceiling. I took the opportunity to stare at him, until he made eye contact and then I looked away with my best Dead Calloused New Yorker face.

He looks EXACTLY like he does on tv!
Old 01-31-2017, 02:36 PM

Kevin Smith (Silent Bob) shouted at me "don't be creepy!" when I tried to surreptitiously take a picture of him as he stood in an airport check in line beside me.

I turned bright red while he got someone near us to take a picture of us together. He put on a giant smile for the camera and it faded the second the flash was gone. It was clear he was pissed at me for trying to take his picture without him noticing. I made a tiny attempt at friendly small talk and went about my life.
Old 01-31-2017, 03:19 PM

Quote:
In 1985 or so I worked in a ski shop at the base of Ajax in Aspen Co. At the time, the building (the Little Nell building) was right at the base of Ajax. It has since been demolished and replaced by the gondola. We had a small locker room with about 20 lockers. The lockers were great because it meant you didn't have to carry your ski gear around. You could put your boots on and head out the door and be at the lift. Most of the lockers were rented by Aspen celebrities. Jack Nicholson, Martina Navratilova, and George Hamilton had lockers. Local drug dealer Steve Grabow rented a whole closet. These lockers were rented yearly and only rarely became available (see Steve Grabow). We didn't advertise the lockers and you wouldn't know they were there unless you poked your head through the doorway.

Christmas season is by far the busiest time of year in Aspen. The town gets packed with vacationers. You can't get into restaurants, lift lines get long and all the stores are busy.
My ski shop was twice as busy as usual. Our clientele was mostly people either rich or famous or both. We used to joke that we needed a subscription to People Magazine to know who we were dealing with. Which leads to DJT.

A guy comes in to the shop and says "I'd like to rent a locker". The store is full of people and we are BUSY. I looked at him and said "No way. It's Christmas and the lockers are all rented yearly anyway". He says "But I'm Donald Trump." I, having never heard of him, said "That's great but we still don't have any lockers available". He left, apparently to find a phone, because I soon got a call from the manager that said "This guy is famous in New York and is a millionaire real estate developer or something. He called a couple weeks ago and I said we would take care of him. Give him my locker."
I set him up and Ivana and he came in every day for the next week. He was never rude or unpleasant and I honestly don't recall talking to him any more. Ivana however, I remember much better. She was very outgoing, sort of attractive, and a good skier.
Old 01-31-2017, 03:50 PM
The Zeroeth Mod

The most memorable ones for me were MC Hammer and Mario Van Peebles, both many years ago, and both of whom were super, incredibly nice guys. Adam Sessler seemed either really shy or really not in the mood when I ran into him while he was in town for E3, but he wasn't rude or anything. And I had the privilege of stopping to let J.K. Simmons and his family cross in front of my car in a busy parking lot (he gave a hurried wave of appreciation).
Old 01-31-2017, 04:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldiboronti View Post
It was London in the 70s. I was in my 20s then, in my disreputable hippie days, and walking on the north side of Trafalgar Square. Suddenly I recognized the unmistakable form of Sir John Gielgud approaching me (don't think he was a Sir then but he may have been).
He may have been cruising.

My own story is that one day I was in the Roebuck on Richmond Hill having lunch with my father. We were the only ones in the pub. A world-famous rock star walked in - one of Jagger's ilk - and ordered a pint, maybe more. My father pointed him out to me. I said that we should let him enjoy his pint in peace and he shot me a thankful glance. I've entirely forgotten the name of the pop star - it's not my scene.

Jerry Hall, Jagger's ex-wife, owned one of the bigger houses on Richmond Hill at the time, and Jagger had a house nearby to easily visit his children, so I guess the guy was visiting Jagger.
Old 01-31-2017, 04:52 PM

One for auto racing fans...Sometime in the 80's (I think) we were at a single-seat Can-Am race at Mid Ohio. We had walked to the hill on the outside of Turn 1 to watch the cars come down the straight when someone pulled up alongside me on a mini bike. Mini bikes were not permitted in the infield at Mid Ohio, so I turned to see who the moron was who thought he was above the rules. Turned out to be Dan Gurney who had motored over from the pits to watch the car he'd entered come down the straight.
Old 01-31-2017, 08:05 PM
Charter Member

In a McDonalds on Ventura Boulevard a few years ago, I was watching my daughter playing in the, whatever, and sensing a fellow near me, I realized I was standing next to Steve Landesberg watching his kid playing, and, as always, played it cool. He noticed my trying to play it cool and looked way down on me (he was kind of tall, I'm not) with this goofy,mad hatter look, and I regained my cool, stuck out my hand and said, Mr. Landesberg, I'm a big fan, nice to meet you. We parted.
Old 01-31-2017, 08:38 PM

I'm not gonna tell the story of how I walked in on Alan Greenspan, sitting on the toilet in the dark, in Ayn Rand's bathroom. I've already told it a few times over the years, and enough is enough.
Old 01-31-2017, 08:38 PM

I was working at the UIC Pavilion. Wrestling wasn't just starting to pick up again from the 60s and 70s. I was a door guard and before the showsomeone banged on my door. I opened it and there was this big guy standing there saying, "Let me in, I'm one of the wrestlers." I said, "If you're one of the wrestlers, you know you need to go around the corner and enter from the back." He says, "but my fans will mob me." I said, "Pfft, fans, right" and go to close the door. He sticks his foot in the door, grabs my shirt, LIFTS ME UP WITH ONE HAND by the shirt, moves me to the side and walks in. I went to my supervisor who was an off duty cop and describe the guy. he goes, "That's Hulk Hogan. You actually laughed at Hulk Hogan". He walked down and chewed the Hulk out. He said he didn't do anything. he was the talent so nothing happened and I had a ripped shirt. Good story though. I use it whenever we have one of those corporate bullshit sessions where they ask you to tell a story about yourself.
Old 02-01-2017, 06:52 AM

This is my mother and grandmother's encounter, not mine. It was in the 1990s in South Carolina and they had a flat tire on the side of the highway and were out changing it (both were perfectly capable of changing a tire.) Some guy stopped to help them, and they chatted for a while, he said his first job was changing tires for his father, and he was headed up to North Carolina to visit relatives, among other things. He may have looked a little familiar to them, but they couldn't place him. It was after they got home and saw one of the Goody's Headache Powder commercials that were running at the time that they realized that they probably had their tire changed by Richard Petty.

Last edited by Darren Garrison; 02-01-2017 at 06:53 AM.
Old 02-01-2017, 07:01 AM
Charter Member

I've never seen a celebrity I recognized at the time. A decade or so ago I saw a pro wrestler dressed in WWF gear in an airport and people were walking up to him but I had no clue who he was. And by his outfit he was obviously wanting to get noticed so that doesn't really count anyway.

I once played a board game with Dave Arneson without knowing who he was, but few would recognize that he was the co-creator of D+D so that doesn't count as a celebrity either even if I had recognized him.
Old 02-01-2017, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Bet he had a Rielgud time, yes sir!
Old 02-01-2017, 07:14 AM
Charter Member

How about royalty? I met Prince Philip once at a banquet. He didn't insult me; I was gutted.
Old 02-01-2017, 08:02 AM
Charter Member

Once chased Alec Bladwin out of a Sbarro's in Athens, GA around 1991, 1992.
Old 02-01-2017, 08:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalMeacham View Post
Bet he had a Rielgud time, yes sir!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quartz View Post
How about royalty? I met Prince Philip once at a banquet. He didn't insult me; I was gutted.
But was the mielgud?
Old 02-01-2017, 08:23 AM

I shared my mortifying moment with my close personal friend Robert Cray back in my Embarrassing Brushes with Fame thread: http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/...d.php?t=548024

Oy, what a dork.
Old 02-01-2017, 08:48 AM

Must have been 15 or so years ago the family was dining at a restaurant in Chelsea, MI (The Common Grill) and the server asked what I wanted to order and I said was having a tough time deciding. A customer passing by our table overheard and volunteered "the chicken sandwiches here are really good."

The passerby happened to be Jeff Daniels.
Old 02-01-2017, 08:57 AM
Charter Member

I once saw a person walking down the street in my home town and thought "He looks like a short Paul Simon." I later found out Simon is about 5'2" and his parents were living in the town at the time.

I have a pair of lavender suede work shoes that get looks on the street. I once noticed a guy coming towards me staring at them. He looked up at me as we passed, and it was Woody Allen.
Old 02-01-2017, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardigan View Post
Must have been 15 or so years ago the family was dining at a restaurant in Chelsea, MI (The Common Grill) and the server asked what I wanted to order and I said was having a tough time deciding. A customer passing by our table overheard and volunteered "the chicken sandwiches here are really good."

The passerby happened to be Jeff Daniels.
Yeahbut, that's Chelsea, MI. Jeff lives there and runs a theatre, you almost have to shoo him out of your yard!
Old 02-01-2017, 10:10 AM
Charter Member

Sammy Hagar sat across the aisle from me on a flight from LA to Seattle. He joked and talked with us for about half the flight then he fell asleep. Upon landing he signed a few autographs for us in first class. As soon as the door opened, he was up and gone.
Old 02-01-2017, 01:38 PM
The Central Scrutinizer

My few encounters with some celebrities have been mostly where you would expect. Comedians after shows doing meet and greets. Penn and Teller taking the time to speak with everyone who was at their show. Stevie Ray Vaughn heading in to a gig... The one random encounter I had was with someone I have listened to so many times but is probably unknown to most people. I was at the gym in the middle of the day. There were probably 4 other people in there with me. Someone came in wearing full goofy golf attire. White and blue striped golf pants. Pink golf shirt. White newsboy golf hat. He starts to work out in this get up. I recognize him as the comedian Rich Vos. I know he lives somewhere in New Jersey but not near me. I found out later when he was on one of the Sirius shows I listen to that he was in the area for a doctors appointment and took in a round of golf and a quick workout. I went up to him and shook his hand and told him I was a fan and then left him alone.
Old 02-01-2017, 02:12 PM

I was going to a comedy show once and on the walk from the parking lot to the venue I noticed Greg Hahn and Costaki Economopoulos walking ahead of me to the same venue. I asked them if we were going to get a good show and they said yeah. They then asked if one of the buildings up ahead was the venue and I said yeah. I walked faster than them so I arrived at the building a little before them.
Old 02-01-2017, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus View Post
Yeahbut, that's Chelsea, MI. Jeff lives there and runs a theatre, you almost have to shoo him out of your yard!
Yeah, probably not much of a 'celebrity sighting' from the locals' standpoint. Kinda like being in Palm Springs in the 1970's and spotting a movie star (yawn). Maybe a big deal for an outtatowner, but the locals are more like "Dammit, Bob Hope backed into my mailbox AGAIN...."
Old 02-01-2017, 04:26 PM
The Central Scrutinizer

Sending this off to CS.
Old 02-01-2017, 04:35 PM

About 25 years ago I had a job delivering pizza in downtown San Jose. One day I had a delivery to the top floor of the Fairmont. When the elevator door opened, there was an older couple waiting to get on. As I was exiting the elevator, I made eye contact with the guy, who quickly snapped his eyes to the floor as the thought flashed through my head "I know who this person is."

They got on the elevator, and the wheels were turning furiously in my head. It suddenly clicked, and I turned around to say something stupid like "hey, you're Dick Clark!", just as the elevator doors shut.
Old 02-01-2017, 04:45 PM
"Superstar"

Quote:
Bad cochrane. Bad.
Old 02-01-2017, 05:23 PM

Back in the early 80's, I drove a yellow cab in New York City.

Once, I had Lauren Bacall in the back seat of my Checker.

She looked good, I definitely remember that.

That's the whole story, nothing more to it.
Old 02-01-2017, 06:09 PM

James Doohan once yelled at me to get out of a handicapped parking space at a McDonalds.

John Savage asked me for directions. He probably regretted this. After he left, I realized I send him the wrong way.

I met Robert Blake when we both stopped to watch L.A.P.D search some yards for robbery suspect. This was during his murder trial.
Old 02-01-2017, 08:06 PM

For a couple of months, I worked part time in a Southern California Country Club Locker Room. Some guy came up to me, smoking a cigar. He asked me if it was OK if he smoked in there. Smelling the cheapest cigar ever, I replied " Honestly. I'm a Temp. If no other guest complains, it's OK with me." Joe Pesci said thanks and gave me a very nice. tip.
Wayne Gretzky and his family showed up to use the pool. They were very demanding about getting fresh towels, but they were also very polite and nice. No tip, but a positive encounter, overall.
It was during the O.J. Simpson trial and I had to explain to him that his guest privileges had expired. Very nervous about that, but he just sighed, turned around, and left.
As a big fan of The Cars, I was awestruck at being behind Ric Okasek in a McDonald's. He caught me glancing at him and asked if he could help me, in a kind of dismissive tone. I apologized and said I was surprised to be in the same place as one of my musical heroes and didn't mean to bother him. After that, we talked about music briefly, and he was kind enough to sign a fry bag for me. (he offered, I didn't ask)
Old 02-01-2017, 08:44 PM

My wife and I were backstage after a Broadway play (a friend of hers did the makeup). Jennifer Anniston walked in and shot us a "why are they back here" look. I like to tell people it was a n "ooooh, who's he" look.
Old 02-01-2017, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey Dickens View Post
Kevin Smith (Silent Bob) shouted at me "don't be creepy!" when I tried to surreptitiously take a picture of him as he stood in an airport check in line beside me.

I turned bright red while he got someone near us to take a picture of us together. He put on a giant smile for the camera and it faded the second the flash was gone. It was clear he was pissed at me for trying to take his picture without him noticing. I made a tiny attempt at friendly small talk and went about my life.
My stepson has a similar story. Kevin Smith is a dick.

Living in L.A. I've seen and chatted with a few celebrities but my story in this thread is how I sat next to Gary Busey in divorce court. The guy you see on TV? Not an act.
Old 02-01-2017, 09:03 PM
Charter Member

In November of 1994, I saw Marc Maron at the very new Holocaust Museum in Washington D.C.

It was weird. I knew him from Short Attention Span Theater and wanted to talk to him....but we were at the Holocaust Museum and it was clearly the wrong place to have a celebrity encounter.

My friends and I ended up waiting at the end of the tour trying to see him come out. He didn't. I stood right next to him, though, and sighed at the sadness of the images we saw. He sighed, too.

I didn't talk to him, though.
Old 02-01-2017, 09:16 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

I was at a book convention in Vegas in 1990. Mickey Hart, one of the Grateful Dead's drummers, had written a book about spiritual drumming, and was throwing a concert with a bunch of drummers from all over the world.

There wer a bunch of Dead-type hangers-on in the crowd, including that basketball player. Also, Timothy Leary.

Tim goat up to take a leak, or go back to the bar, so I followed him. "Dr. Leary!" I said. "I think that, along with FDR and Louis Armstrong, you are one of the three great Americans of this century!"

He laughed and did a little shuffle-dance. And said "Doctor Spock. Don't underestimate the influence of Benjamin Spock."

Later we both showed up at the same party and sat around the kitchen table drinking whiskey with several other people. Tim insisted we all tell jokes. I told a rather lame lawyer joke, at which no one laughed. Tim nodded solemnly and said, "I heard that one. But with Trump."

Later I shared a cab back to the hotel with John Barlow, who wrote the lyrics to all of Bob Weir's Grateful Dead songs, and his hot punked-out girlfriend.
Old 02-01-2017, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Yeah, probably not much of a 'celebrity sighting' from the locals' standpoint. Kinda like being in Palm Springs in the 1970's and spotting a movie star (yawn). Maybe a big deal for an outtatowner, but the locals are more like "Dammit, Bob Hope backed into my mailbox AGAIN...."
Wellllll...

Did you get the chicken sandwich?
Old 02-02-2017, 02:15 AM

In the mid-80s, Dan Aykroyd and his wife Donna Dixon attended a wedding rehearsal dinner for someone in the Dixon family at the restaurant where I worked (Donna Dixon was from my home town). Aykroyd was super nice, he signed autographs, took pictures with the staff and in general was way warmer and friendlier than was reasonable.

My friend was a school teacher in VA and one of his students was a special needs kid who had somehow met and befriended Ben Affleck when Affleck was making Good Will Hunting. Affleck had promised the student that if the kid finished high school Ben would speak at his graduation and he did. My friend said that Affleck and his wife at the time Jennifer Garner were very gracious and friendly with all the kids when they showed up for the graduation. I didn't meet Affleck, but I always take a chance to tell that story because I think it's worth telling.
Old 02-02-2017, 02:54 AM

Ive also met Dan Akroyd. Well, i (literally)walked into him in a bar. He's very tall.

Ive also met Pete Townshend, as in he walked into the bar i was in and i said something stupid along the lines of, wow, you're Pete Townshend.

I also served lunch to the members of the Barenaked Ladies. Didn't know who they were until a workmate asked me to ask them if they were indeed the Barenaked Ladies.
Old 02-02-2017, 07:57 AM

At several sf/fantasy conventions we've run into Richard Hatch from the first Battlestar Galactica series. The first time Madame P. met him she asked him if he'd mind a picture. He smiled and said "sure". She handed him the camera and posed with me and our daughter. He laughed out loud. After taking our picture, my daughter took a picture of him with Madame P., and shortly thereafter I tood a picture of him laying down across my wife's and daughter's laps.
Old 02-02-2017, 08:16 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
... the locals are more like "Dammit, Bob Hope backed into my mailbox AGAIN...."
Yeah, I ran into Bob Hope once, in the late '80s, outside the Pacific Dining Car in downtown Los Angeles. We were behind him at the valet service, and he had a hot young babe with him as he handed his keys over.

My girlfriend said "Hey, it's Bob Hope," and Hope started to turn to us with a big smile, when I added "Bob HOPE? Isn't he dead yet?"

His jaw dropped and he hustled inside with his tootsie.

I've always really hated Bob Hope.
Old 02-02-2017, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Percolator Fish View Post
Maybe he is, but I don't blame him for not wanting to be surreptitiously photographed when he's waiting in line at the airport.
Maybe but my stepson's story was at a film festival where one of Smith's movies was playing. Mt stepson said, "Hey it's Kevin Smith." Smith's reply was, "Outta my way kid."
Old 02-02-2017, 09:33 AM

I had two sports celebrities at my job(s) who wanted special treatment, even though I didn't recognize them. One was Lee Trevino, the golfer, at my caricature stand at Bush Gardens Williamsburg, and the other was whoever the head coach of Virginia Tech was in 1983, wanting to cash a check at a bank I briefly worked at without presenting ID. I wouldn't do it until my boss, a Tech alum, intervened. (I wasn't fired for that specifically, but I'm sure it contributed to their general displeasure with me.)

I lived in DC for many years and bumped into lots of the type of people who are famous there (Ralph Nader, Ted Kennedy, Monica Lewinsky, Karenna Gore, Charles Krauthammer, Larry King and Janet Reno). Never got the urge to ask for an autograph, though.
Old 02-02-2017, 09:37 AM

John Mellencamp kicked our ashtray. Milwaukee Hyatt hallway 1984-ish.