Old 02-22-2017, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickJay View Post
I think a really interesting question would be who ate the most scenery in an Oscar-winning performance. Denzel in "Training Day, where I think he gained about thirty pounds during the shoot eating parts of the set, is the most egregious example I can think of.
Quentin Tarantino supposedly almost despaired of making INGLOURIOUS BASTERDS because he couldn't find anyone who could be magnetic in four different languages. Anyhow, he then found Christoph Waltz and the day was saved.
Old 02-22-2017, 10:20 PM

There have been a lot of good ones named, but one who has been overlooked is Michael Keaton in "Beetlejuice". Also in "Birdman". His role in "Batman", while quirky, was subdued to play against Jack Nicholson.

I agree with Shatner. I notice how he played the scenes as Captain Kirk, but I never felt it out of place for the scenes.

[QUOTE=Celidin;19988917]in particular Jeremy Irons in the Dungeons and Dragons movie... so very over the top there, it was the best thing about it. [QUOTE]

You are incorrect - it was the only good thing about it. And with purple lipstick!
Old 02-22-2017, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishman View Post
I agree with Shatner. I notice how he played the scenes as Captain Kirk, but I never felt it out of place for the scenes.
I've always felt that Shatner deserves more credit than he gets. The Enterprise bridge was made of pastel-colored plywood. If Shatner hadn't been absolutely earnest and convinced (as opposed to convincing) that he was on a starship in the Ceti Alpha system, the audience wouldn't have believed it, either. Just a little wind and a nod and the whole thing could have turned very silly, very fast. The show spawned a fanatical fanbase that has stuck with it for 50 years. He must have done something right.
Old 02-22-2017, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishman View Post
There have been a lot of good ones named, but one who has been overlooked is Michael Keaton in "Beetlejuice". Also in "Birdman". His role in "Batman", while quirky, was subdued to play against Jack Nicholson.
And even when he isn't using it, you know he has a Jimmy Cagney impression ready to go; it's like watching a quick-draw gunslinger with an twitchy trigger finger!
Old 02-22-2017, 11:41 PM

The Langoliers.
Old 02-22-2017, 11:47 PM
SD Curator of Critters

Ralph Fiennes in In Bruges. As Voldemort in Harry Potter he seems ready to eat not just the the scenery but the other actors.
Old 02-22-2017, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickJay View Post
I think a really interesting question would be who ate the most scenery in an Oscar-winning performance.
Well, he only got an Oscar nomination for it, but I defy you to do an exaggerated parody of Burgess Meredith's performance in the ROCKY movies. Uh-huh. No, see, I asked you to do an exaggerated version. Like, deliver the same lines, but in a way that's decidedly more over-the-top. Yeah, that's not -- you're not pulling it off.
Old 02-23-2017, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Other Waldo Pepper View Post
Jimmy Cagney was great at this.
Agreed!
Old 02-23-2017, 09:32 AM
Charter Member

Jane Lynch. I first noticed her in a scene in King of Queens, later as Spencer Reid's schizophrenic mother in Criminal Minds, and most recently in glee.
Old 02-23-2017, 10:32 AM

[QUOTE=Brown Eyed Girl;19987338]Gary Oldman in True Romance.

He's also great in "Leon The Professional" -- the scene I'm thinking of:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74BzSTQCl_c
Old 02-23-2017, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post
Walken is also in a little B-movie called The Prophecy, in which he plays the angel Gabriel, against Viggo Mortensen as Lucifer. Walken's performance is really over-the-top, but great fun.
AH! I had forgotten about that one. Good choice!
Old 02-23-2017, 10:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie-Xmas View Post
Jane Lynch. I first noticed her in a scene in King of Queens, later as Spencer Reid's schizophrenic mother in Criminal Minds, and most recently in glee.
She's also in The Fugitive (with Tommy Lee Jones and Harrison Ford) but in a much more subdued performance. (And she got fourth billing, I think, for a minor role. I heard that her role was planned to be larger.)
Old 02-23-2017, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefguy View Post
Anthony Hopkins in "Silence of the Lambs". Most people are surprised to learn that he was only on screen for 16 minutes total, but he's been a serious ham in other films, as well.
You should watch him in Coppola's Dracula. That made his SOTL performance look understated.
Old 02-23-2017, 04:02 PM
Charter Member

Simon Callow can chew pretty well. The ones that come to mind are Four Weddings and a Funeral, Shakespeare in Love, and as Charles Dickens in Doctor Who.
Old 02-24-2017, 09:46 AM
Charter Member

No mention of Robin Williams yet? He was the best natural chewing the scenery actor that ever was.
Old 02-24-2017, 10:31 AM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Other Waldo Pepper View Post
Well, he only got an Oscar nomination for it, but I defy you to do an exaggerated parody of Burgess Meredith's performance in the ROCKY movies. Uh-huh. No, see, I asked you to do an exaggerated version. Like, deliver the same lines, but in a way that's decidedly more over-the-top. Yeah, that's not -- you're not pulling it off.
You ask the impossible, sir.
Old 02-24-2017, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondebear View Post
First actor that comes to mind is George C. Scott in Dr. Strangelove.
Do you think Mr. Scott's portrayal of Patton as scenery chewing?

IMO, he was portraying (loosely) a person who deliberately affected a larger than life persona in front of his troops.
Old 02-24-2017, 11:54 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Richard Burton in Exorcist II-The Heritic, and even moreso in Hammersmith Is Out!.
Old 02-24-2017, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlees View Post
Do you think Mr. Scott's portrayal of Patton as scenery chewing?

IMO, he was portraying (loosely) a person who deliberately affected a larger than life persona in front of his troops.
If you want a scenery-chewing George C. Scott film I'd nominate "Hardcore".
"Oh my GOD, thats MY DAUGHTER!"
Old 02-25-2017, 08:56 AM

They apparently told Nicolas Cage to chew as much scenery as humanly possible in FACE/OFF, and then apparently told John Travolta, "okay, now it's your turn."
Old 02-25-2017, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robot Arm View Post
I've always felt that Shatner deserves more credit than he gets. The Enterprise bridge was made of pastel-colored plywood. If Shatner hadn't been absolutely earnest and convinced (as opposed to convincing) that he was on a starship in the Ceti Alpha system, the audience wouldn't have believed it, either. Just a little wind and a nod and the whole thing could have turned very silly, very fast. The show spawned a fanatical fanbase that has stuck with it for 50 years. He must have done something right.
I've been watching a number of TNG episodes recently, and I think I see the same thing with Patrick Stewart. There is definitely an element of cheese, but his performance seems to elevate everything. The rest of the cast aren't exactly the most amazing actors, but do seem to work well together.

Last edited by Driver8; 02-25-2017 at 10:58 PM.
Old 02-26-2017, 08:03 PM

"I KNOW WHO I AM! I'm the dude PLAAAYIN' the dude DISGUIIISED as ANUTHA dude!"

- Robert Downey Jr, as Kirk Lazarus, as Lincoln Osiris.
Old 02-26-2017, 08:09 PM

Darren McGavin gnawed on a lot of scenery in A Word to the Wives. Especially the cabinets.

Last edited by Catamount; 02-26-2017 at 08:10 PM. Reason: Can't spell or post links correctly
Old 02-28-2017, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard John Marcej View Post
I never watched that one.
Old 02-28-2017, 11:17 AM

Ben Gazzara in Roadhouse.
Old 02-28-2017, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lungfish View Post
Ben Gazzara in Roadhouse.
Everyone in Roadhouse.

Last edited by burpo the wonder mutt; 02-28-2017 at 12:09 PM.
Old 02-28-2017, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard John Marcej View Post
Oh, that reminds of me of Sean Penn doing some serious chewing in Mystic River. "IS THAT MY DAUGHTER IN THERE!?!?!"
Old 02-28-2017, 12:44 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

I don't think anyone could possibly beat Kevin Bacon in Paul Verhoeven's Hollow Man, who managed to chew up scenes he was never actually physically in!
Old 02-28-2017, 01:20 PM

Coincidentally I just watched Extreme Prejudice, 1987, and it has a complete rogues' gallery of scenery chewers: Nick Nolte, Powers Boothe, Michael Ironside, Rip Torn, and William Forsythe. Needless to say there isn't much scenery left unchewed by the end of the movie!
Old 02-28-2017, 02:51 PM
The Central Scrutinizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by burpo the wonder mutt View Post
Everyone in Roadhouse.
"I used to fuck guys like you in prison" guy does evangelical Christian movies now.
Old 03-02-2017, 08:51 AM

MY COUSIN VINNY is entertaining enough when it's just a fish-out-of-water comedy about misunderstandings, but the tuning point is when our misunderestimated hero finally gets to break out his Funny How, I Mean Funny Like I'm A Clown skills in court when he's loftily informed that no self-respectin' Southernuh eats instant grits.

"I'm sorry; I was all the way over there, I couldn't hear you; did you say that you were a fast cook? That's it? Are we to believe that boiling water soaks into a grit faster in your kitchen than on any other place on the face of the EARTH? ... Well, perhaps the laws of PHYSICS cease to exist on your STOVE? Were these MAGIC grits? I mean, didja buy 'em from the same guy who sold Jack his BEANSTALK beans?"

That's when it become clear that, oh, this isn't the story of a cocky little loudmouth who's in way over his head; this is, as it happens, the guy you're talking about when you say, yeah, granted this looks bad, but I Know A Guy.
Old 03-02-2017, 10:02 AM

"How about a nice greasy pork sandwich served in a dirty ashtray?"

Bill Paxton had his moments.