Old 02-22-2017, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catamount View Post
I like watermelon-flavored candy (especially Jolly Ranchers) but I haaaaaaaaaate real watermelon. Any melons, actually. They all taste like dirty water to me.
Hahaha! Exact opposite for me! LOVE watermelon. Practically live on it all summer. Cantaloupe too. Watermelon flavored candy is terrible so is pineapple flavored candy. That was always the Lifesaver I left behind - the pineapple one.
Old 02-22-2017, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftg View Post
Buy only the good ones! The name Red Delicious describes a family of apples. Some are great, many are lousy. Look for firm ones that are not completely red. Maybe even an orange-red streak appearance.

Like with many popular things (e.g., some breeds of dogs), the growers went hog wild planting trees without any concern over quality. Combined with crappy long term storage systems they've nearly ruined the whole category. But there are really good ones out there.

I know I'm going to take heat for this one, but ... I like chocolate. I like raisins. But chocolate covered raisins are the food from Hades. How could these two things taste so awful together? And why do people buy them?????
I will agree - the streaked Red Delicious apples are the only ones that are somewhat good. The worst ones are the beautiful deep red ones!!
Old 02-22-2017, 02:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRC4941 View Post
Hahaha! Exact opposite for me! LOVE watermelon. Practically live on it all summer. Cantaloupe too. Watermelon flavored candy is terrible so is pineapple flavored candy. That was always the Lifesaver I left behind - the pineapple one.
The pineapple candies at least somewhat resemble the flavor of pineapples. Watermelon candy tastes only like watermelon candy. I'm not sure the person naming the flavor had ever tasted a watermelon before. Granted, this is not so uncommon in candy flavors, but that one sticks out in particular.
Old 02-22-2017, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
The pineapple candies at least somewhat resemble the flavor of pineapples. Watermelon candy tastes only like watermelon candy. I'm not sure the person naming the flavor had ever tasted a watermelon before. Granted, this is not so uncommon in candy flavors, but that one sticks out in particular.
Grape flavored candy is the same way. I don't know what it's supposed to taste like but it isn't like any grape I've ever had.
Old 02-22-2017, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKilez View Post
Add some cayenne and chipotle and you have a mole. Delicious.
Foods that should taste good but don't?

Moles. Voles too for that matter.
Old 02-22-2017, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigi View Post
Foods that should taste good but don't?

Moles. Voles too for that matter.
clearly you have never had mole prepared by a shrew
Old 02-22-2017, 05:31 PM

Asparagus has a reputation as a 'High-class' vegetable.

Why? It's not even bad enough to be horrible. It's just.........green stuff.

And, I'll just say - as a registered chocaholic, chocolate is good. Just chocolate. I've had all the fancy fillings, all the fancy shapes, ones that look like Salvador Dali and Jackson Pollock co-operated on the design - all that does is take away from the chocolate.
Old 02-22-2017, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallaby View Post

Wrap it in prosciutto, bake it in the oven, then slather it with garlic butter and lemon juice. Mmmmmmmmmmmm!
Old 02-23-2017, 01:51 AM

Quote:

Asparagus and all of the Brassicae (brussels sprouts, cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, a large number of others) suffer horribly from being cooked badly, but really get amazingly good if they're cooked well, which usually involves a little heat and olive oil. Those vegetables are high-class because they're at their best when cooked by someone who knows how, which doesn't include the boil-it-until-it-breaks, and-then-boil-the-remains type of home cook, which was a common type.
Old 02-23-2017, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derleth View Post
Asparagus and all of the Brassicae (brussels sprouts, cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, a large number of others) suffer horribly from being cooked badly, but really get amazingly good if they're cooked well, which usually involves a little heat and olive oil. Those vegetables are high-class because they're at their best when cooked by someone who knows how, which doesn't include the boil-it-until-it-breaks, and-then-boil-the-remains type of home cook, which was a common type.
This "Yes, it's horrible unless it's cooked just right." means it is horrible.

And if you have to drench it in other things to make it edible, then it's actually inedible.
Old 02-23-2017, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoieGrasIsEvil View Post

You're not getting good/properly prepared foie gras then. Seasoned and seared with a bit of an acidic fruit compote or some such with some toast points, or a nice torchon with dried apricots served on brioche...it's EVILLY good.
I think foie gras must be one of those foods, like cilantro, that has a chemical in it that some people can taste and others can't. I've had all kinds of foie gras all around the world and it was all awful in exactly the same way - it smells OK and looks OK so I want to try it but after just a few seconds of being in my mouth it has a horrible, spoiled meat, taste.
Old 02-23-2017, 09:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Grape flavored candy is the same way. I don't know what it's supposed to taste like but it isn't like any grape I've ever had.
I would say it's vaguely reminiscent of Concord grapes, like the kind they make grape juice or grape jelly/jam from.
Old 02-23-2017, 09:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

And if you have to drench it in other things to make it edible, then it's actually inedible.
It actually does not take a lot of skill to cook these vegetables well. Just don't boil the shit out of them. Steam 'em until they're just cooked through or roast em, and you're golden. And, I agree with you, they shouldn't be drenched in other things. They should simply not be vehicles for cheese or hollandaise. All of those are good with just some butter, salt, and pepper. Somehow, my picky two year old's favorite vegetable is broccoli. Go figure.

Last edited by pulykamell; 02-23-2017 at 09:51 AM.
Old 02-23-2017, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
Actually, I'll side with Shagnasty on this. Roasted chestnuts smell like they should be the greatest thing in the world but they end up tasting like, as you described it, slightly sweeter (and vaguely nutty) baked potatoes. Not my thing at all. I've eaten them at the Christmas markets in Europe (mostly Budapest) where they are ubiquitous, so it's not the quality of chestnuts that's the problem. They're just bland. I'm not sure I've ever gotten ones that match Shagnasty's description, but I just didn't get their appeal. Of course, I'm also not a fan of baked potatoes, so maybe that has something to do with it. And every year I would try them again, enticed by the smell, and every year I wonder why I bothered.
Right there with you; actually had them in Prague, was underwhelmed, and then had them again in Budapest, on the theory that maybe Hungarian chestnuts or their preparation would be better.

No luck. They were just mealy and bland.

Asparagus is HUGELY affected by the freshness of the stalks. Really fresh ones are a not quite entirely different animal than the ones you can buy in the produce section at the store. Really fresh ones are actually somewhat sweet, and the texture is often a bit different as well. But otherwise yeah, grocery store asparagus is nothing to get excited about.

Probably the worst thing I can think of that sounded really good, but turned out to be awful is Bun Bo Hue. The Pho restaurant's description made it sound like some sort of spicy, more hearty version of Pho. Nope, it was sewer water with mystery meat and gristle. Absolutely godawful. I picked up a hamburger on the way home.

Last edited by bump; 02-23-2017 at 11:28 AM.
Old 02-23-2017, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Other countries seem to do this a lot better than the US. Japanese hard candy/gummies in particular are (usually) incredibly authentic. So clearly it's possible, but perhaps not cost effective for the domestic candy market.
Old 02-23-2017, 11:45 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaguri View Post
Other countries seem to do this a lot better than the US. Japanese hard candy/gummies in particular are (usually) incredibly authentic. So clearly it's possible, but perhaps not cost effective for the domestic candy market.
Well, it doesn't have to be an issue of cost effectiveness, but rather that there are established "fruit candy" flavors that may or may not taste like the fruit they are meant to represent, and the consumer expects those flavors, so changing them to a more accurate simulation may not necessarily be desirable. And I still think grape candy does resemble the flavor of Concord grapes.
Old 02-23-2017, 06:32 PM

Quote:
All suffer from being grown in grown fertilized with superphosphate, slow release, or any yellow fertilzer. Sulphur build up in the soil makes Asparagus and brussels sprouts more sulphurous, with a sulphurous flavour, and leading to sulphurous farts
Old 02-23-2017, 10:45 PM

Quote:
And, I'll just say - as a registered chocaholic, chocolate is good. Just chocolate. I've had all the fancy fillings, all the fancy shapes, ones that look like Salvador Dali and Jackson Pollock co-operated on the design - all that does is take away from the chocolate.
Agree. There are only two flavors in the world - chocolate, and everything else.
Old 02-23-2017, 11:12 PM

Mmmm, Strawberries

If you can get this in your locale, you will be pleasantly surprised.
If you are a strawberry junkie like me, you'll really appreciate it. It Does have Real Strawberries in it. Real Strawberries, not those giant, red on the outside, pale pink on the inside, tasteless blobs you find in the produce section of your local supermarket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RivkahChaya View Post
Strawberry ice cream. It's never as good as you think it's going to be. I have had generic kinds; gourmet kinds; kinds that supposedly had chunks of strawberries in them; off-white, dye-free, artificial flavor-free kinds; kinds that were chock-full of chemicals; and not one ever succeeded in tasting remotely like a strawberry. Or like much of anything. They were all just kind of vaguely sweet.
Old 02-24-2017, 12:38 AM

Quote:
By this standard, meat is horrible: If it isn't cooked just right, it's either a tough, dry mess, or it's a disgusting half-raw health hazard.

Quote:
Hm. I guess the meat used in barbecue is inedible, therefore barbecue itself is inedible.

I'll gladly save you from your portion, then.
Old 02-25-2017, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RivkahChaya View Post
I remember the food generally being terrible in Russia (I once was served a bowl of chicken soup with a feather in it), but the bread was amazing.
Was it as good as Schnitzer's?
Old 02-25-2017, 04:11 PM

Quote:
By this standard, meat is horrible: If it isn't cooked just right, it's either a tough, dry mess, or it's a disgusting half-raw health hazard.

Hm. I guess the meat used in barbecue is inedible, therefore barbecue itself is inedible.
Just shitty barbecue that requires a sauce to taste good. Real barbecue doesn't *need* a sauce to be good.