Old 02-28-2017, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearwildheaven View Post
I made it through about 30 seconds of "Threnody....." How can he even get people to play this thing in the first place?

There are 20 distinct recordings of this piece according to this list, though I suspect that, with reissues and box-sets, the real number is closer to 7.

It's a classic of post WWII music, by the way. I sure don't enjoy listening to it but I think it's extremely effective artistically (it does exactly what it says on the tin).
Advertisements  
Old 02-28-2017, 02:50 PM

Perhaps not exactly what the OP meant, but the whispered part of 10CC's "I'm Not in Love" has always creeped me out.

(Big boys don't cry. Big boys don't cry. Big boys don't cry.)
Old 02-28-2017, 05:30 PM

That tiptoe song by Tiny Tim has scared me ever since it was used in the movie Insidious. Pink Floyd scared me as a child. Listening to Stravinsky scared me recently.
Old 03-01-2017, 02:13 AM

As for contemporary classical, academic music, somebody already mentioned Georgy Ligeti and his "Atmospheres for the Orchestra", and I wholeheartedly agree.

In rock music, I vote for La Photographe Exorciste by Atoll. I don't speak French, so my brain is filling the blanks.

An Empty Bliss Beyond this World by The Caretaker is an masterpiece of electronic music, entirely made of samples of old records. Somebody described it as "the waiting room for the afterlife".
Old 03-01-2017, 04:11 AM

Portishead, All Mine. It's probably mostly to do with the video, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vozNQX6Ye1A
Old 03-08-2017, 08:30 PM

I posted this in another thread as a source of guidance for one of our resident anti-sexual communists, but really it belongs here.
Hopefully your name isn't Ron, or this might become one of your favourites.

For some reason it always starts in the middle of the song, so - as soon as you click on the link, immediately drag the cursor back to where it actually begins, at 19:49.

Crust -
How About You

crank'er!
Old 03-09-2017, 08:35 AM

King Diamond's concept album The Puppet Master creeps me the hell out. It tells the tale of a subjugated, errr, subject who's reward is a decidedly unhappy end. Odd Christmas music, female vocals, and plenty of doom and horror. Can only listen to it with the lights on and only once every couple of years.....
Old 03-09-2017, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard John Marcej View Post
In 1982 I went to see the film John Carpenter's The Thing at a stand alone theater (just one screen, not a cineplex) I was early and the theater was empty and surprisingly dark. They didn't play any pre-entertainment videos on screen, they just played the soundtrack of the film.

Ennio Morricone's score is desolate and stark and has a real feeling of foreboding. It was especially jarring considering I was here to see a Carpenter film and was expecting to hear a typical Carpenter composed soundtrack dominated with synthesizers, but instead to hear this haunting score highlighted by lonely piano pieces and shrieking strings.... I'm sure it wasn't the intent of the theater, but by playing this beforehand I was really amped to see this film!

I guess I'm not the only one who really likes this soundtrack, since they lifted parts of it to play on the soundtrack of The Hateful Eight last year and it won Morricone an Oscar!

If you've never listened to this soundtrack, give it a listen
Hateful Eight soundtrack also has a bit of Regan's theme from The Exorcist 2 - probably the best thing about that movie!
Old 03-09-2017, 10:04 AM

A large fraction of recordings by Diamanda Galas? The definitive Law of the Plague.
Here with John Zorn. Or here with John Paul Jones (he of Led Zep)
Not for the faint hearted.

Talking of John Zorn, his work with Painkiller. Execution Ground Ambient is a favourite of mine.

Lustmord (Brian Williams.) Rising 666 is brilliantly creepy, but in a highly addictive and rather soothing way.

(Both John Zorn and Brian Williams turn out to be really nice guys. I've not met Diamanda. But she holds the distinction of performing the concert where the most people I have ever seen walked out. I think it was badly pitched. People were not expecting what they got.)

Last edited by Francis Vaughan; 03-09-2017 at 10:05 AM.
Old 03-09-2017, 10:57 AM

I'm 43 years old and Darth Vader's theme music still gives me the chills.
Old 03-09-2017, 11:18 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis Vaughan View Post
A large fraction of recordings by Diamanda Galas? The definitive Law of the Plague.
Here with John Zorn. Or here with John Paul Jones (he of Led Zep)
Not for the faint hearted.

Talking of John Zorn, his work with Painkiller. Execution Ground Ambient is a favourite of mine.

Lustmord (Brian Williams.) Rising 666 is brilliantly creepy, but in a highly addictive and rather soothing way.

(Both John Zorn and Brian Williams turn out to be really nice guys. I've not met Diamanda. But she holds the distinction of performing the concert where the most people I have ever seen walked out. I think it was badly pitched. People were not expecting what they got.)
I love the music of Diamonds Galas. What a great voice.

Here's a very scary piece from Current 93 :

Jesus Wept
Old 03-09-2017, 01:13 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbnObSsYCc4

Don't ask me why, it just fills me with an awareness of the futility of existence and the transient nature of all things.
Old 03-10-2017, 12:45 AM

If I remember correctly, Berlioz' Symphony Fantastiqe has a section called March to the Scaffold. It ends in a strong chord, followed quietly by a bum ba bum. played by a cello. I heard that the crashing chord was to denote a beheading by the guillotine and the soft bumping coda represented a head falling to the ground and bouncing.

Last edited by movingfinger; 03-10-2017 at 12:46 AM.
Old 03-10-2017, 08:44 PM

This one's been scaring me since I was a little kid:

Ave Satani from The Omen soundtrack by Jerry Goldsmith.
Old 03-10-2017, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie The Horrible View Post
I posted this in another thread as a source of guidance for one of our resident anti-sexual communists, but really it belongs here.
Hopefully your name isn't Ron, or this might become one of your favourites.

For some reason it always starts in the middle of the song, so - as soon as you click on the link, immediately drag the cursor back to where it actually begins, at 19:49.

Crust -
How About You

crank'er!
It goes right where it's supposed to go. 1361 seconds is 22:41. If you want it to go to 19:49 you'll have to change t=1361s to t=1189s
Old 03-10-2017, 10:22 PM

[QUOTE

An Empty Bliss Beyond this World by The Caretaker is an masterpiece of electronic music, entirely made of samples of old records. Somebody described it as "the waiting room for the afterlife".[/QUOTE]

Well, now, thank you for this lovely video. It reminds me of some youtube I saw of the planet Saturn (a real photo) and some electronic noise. I don't know who what where when or why, within the last 5 years.

That Saturn thing and the 'Empty Bliss' is not a 'waiting room for the afterlife' - I think it is HELL. Barren, unnerving, never-changing, eternal, without hope. Almost makes you wish for devils with pitchforks.
Old 03-11-2017, 12:11 AM
Charter Member

Andrew Liles: Anhedonia
Old 03-13-2017, 04:52 PM

D.O.A. by Bloodrock.
Old 03-13-2017, 10:41 PM

When I was a kid, the ending theme song for The Incredible Hulk scared me, as an adult the theme in Christine when the fat kid first sees Christine before the car kills him is un-nerving to me.
Old 03-14-2017, 01:08 AM
Charter Member

How about this piece from the Russian surrealist project Bardoseneticcube?
Old 03-14-2017, 07:37 AM

Any of the music associated with Twin Peaks.
Old 03-14-2017, 10:54 AM

The Night Gallery theme music. It used to come on in the late afternoon and every day after school I'd be home alone and watch it, and every day it would freak me the hell out. I wasn't too bright I still don't want to hear it.

The Chambers Brothers Time is a funky, freaky groove that for the last couple of minutes just has this messed up halting beat that is just so . . . off. It makes me feel like I'm on a bad acid trip.

Iron Man can shut the hell up.
Old 03-14-2017, 12:58 PM

Two that I love because they are scary are:

Nico's Marble Index album (once described as 'not an album you listen to but a hole you fall into')

and The Church's The Disillusionist:
They say that he's famous from the waist down
But the top half of his body is a corpse
His gold won't buy him sleep
His poverty runs so deep
In winter he cracks, in summer he warps

Last edited by NineToTheSky; 03-14-2017 at 12:59 PM.
Old 03-25-2017, 01:18 PM

Wheel of Pain

More screeching strings. Although it turns around towards the end of "Wheel of Pain"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1ZSJdJj5bs
Old 03-25-2017, 01:28 PM

How about this one?
Old 03-25-2017, 02:20 PM

For me, it's "Basement" by the Pain Teens. Mostly because it's based on the true story of Sylvia Likens, a 16-year old girl who was tortured over a period of weeks, and finally murdered by the woman watching her and her sister. Gertrude Baniszewski even had her children assist in the torture of Likens.

It scares me because it really happened.
Old 03-25-2017, 02:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Quoth nearwildheaven:

I made it through about 30 seconds of "Threnody....." How can he even get people to play this thing in the first place?
I was finding it unbearable at about the same point... but couldn't bring myself to stop it. Because that would mean that, instead of having listened to it, I'd have listened to an unfinished portion of it, which would be worse.

I think I have a new example for discussions of "what is art". See, my definition is, basically, that art is a creative work that conveys emotion, and great art is therefore a work which very strongly conveys emotion. Which that certainly does.
Old 03-25-2017, 02:55 PM
Charter Member

For some reason Tchaikovsky's "Dance of the Sugarplum Fairy" has always struck me as macabre; maybe something I saw as a very young child with this music scared me, I don't know. The closest I can describe it is "the music that's playing while a mad doctor slowly and methodically performs brain surgery on a victim."
Old 03-28-2017, 06:27 PM
BANNED

Gangsta rap. What else?