This Is How I See It ["Alien"]

ALIEN (1979) Directed by Ridley Scott
The movie begins with the space vehicle ‘Nostromo’ returning from somewhere in Deep Space. The ‘Nostromo’ is carrying a cargo of some kind or another and it is heading for Earth.

The crew are just lazing around stoned out of their brains when one of them suggests landing on a Strange Planet and kidnapping an Alien, just for a laugh.

Three of them go off looking for one, and they are just about to give up when luckily John Hurt captures an Alien by swallowing it whole.

The story could have taken a wrong turn towards schmaltz at this point but Scott is skilled at handling this kind of scene and makes no mistake.

The unfortunate beast (the Alien) immediately falls into a coma due to all the alcohol in John Hurt’s digestive system.

When the crew return to the ‘Nostromo’ for lunch, the Alien decides to go along with them in a coma. They all sit down at the table. Pretty soon, someone, I’m not sure who, passes John Hurt some coleslaw or something and he eats it. This wakes the Alien from his coma.

The Alien is not so much bothered by the coleslaw but it is afraid of custard (most Aliens are allergic to custard). So it takes the shortest route out of John Hurt and runs away to hide.

After dessert, which is fruit salad or cheese and biscuits, the crew go to look for the Alien, all except for John Hurt who is a bit wasted.

This scene serves the dual purpose of liberating a trapped Alien from dire circumstances and stopping the movie from becoming too obsessed with food like The Cook, The Thief, His Wife and Her Lover and Delicatessen, five turkeys if ever I saw one.

A series of peculiar and unlucky coincidences now ensues. First of all, Harry Dean Stanton unfortunately dies of a heart attack (happily we’ve got the Alien as a witness). Then Tom Skerritt trips and bangs his head and dies when the Alien is just trying to be friendly.

Later on, Yaphet Kotto is killed in the clearest case of self-defence you could imagine. And to cap it all, that other girl dies as well. I’m not sure how but it was an accident.

Ian Holm had died previously, all except for his head, and this scene raised a few critical eyebrows, but it was pretty mild stuff compared with Alfredo Garcia’s head in ‘Bring Me The Head Of Alfredo Garcia’.

Next thing you know, the ‘Nostromo’ is about to blow up so Sigourney Weaver, the Alien and the cat (Jonesey) escape in a smaller spaceship, which has facilities noticeably inferior to those available on the ‘Nostromo’.

The Alien is lying in a corner, just hanging out, when Sigourney Weaver tries to push it out of the smaller spaceship into Outer Space.

Despite putting up a plucky fight, the Alien is despatched into space (by Sigourney Weaver). Sigourney Weaver and the cat then smoke some more weed before drifting off into a metaphorical oblivion towards Earth.

This is a tragi-comedy in the same spirit as ‘The Duchess Of Malfi’ and 'The Comedy Of Errors. A credible plot, lots of accidents and convincing food make ‘Alien’ definitely worth a look.

Four Stars (****)

Excellent analysis! I simply must see this as soon as possible.

loads thread onto rocket

points rocket at Cafe Society

lights fuse

awaits Earth-shattering kaboom

twickster, MPSIMS moderator

Huh… A single post zombie. Don’t know if I’ve ever seen that before.

It was totally ignored for over 9 years and then suddenly wakes up now. :confused:

… and shit.

Apparently, even Alien’s can be changed into zombies.

Much like Sigourney Weaver’s character after the end of the movie, actually… :smiley:

I don’t think that’s what happened in the end. I always thought the Alien was going to hitch a ride, and when Ripley says she’s going to Earth, Alien decides he doesn’t want to go that way and would rather hang out in space. He tries to leave, but gets stuck in the doorway. Ripley helps him out and takes off.

It appears that Zeldar is resurrecting several of Chez Guevara’s 9 year old no-reply threads, for reasons known only to him.

There was a discussion Anyone recall this classified ad from the Times? - Miscellaneous and Personal Stuff I Must Share - Straight Dope Message Board where the notion of 0-response threads were discussed. I was just trying to see how many such things might have some traction this much later.

I’ll stop that hunt and resurrection thing.

I wasn’t complaining, just curious.

No problem. I just overdid the joke, I believe.

Clearly, the reason some OPs originally attracted no response is simply because they didn’t merit one. This is a fine example of that type.

It’s one of several 9-year-old skeletons in my metaphorical cupboard, and I can’t even bring myself to read it.

My profound apologies! I should have asked first, rather than after.

I’m gonna go ahead and lock this puppy. If anyone wants to talk Alien, feel free to start a new thread.