Old 03-15-2017, 02:49 PM

So, just for the record, if all the spiders in the world got together, they could eat a 300,000 pound whale in about 11 minutes. (Let's pretend for a second that they can eat every part of the whale, and I did my elephants-to-whales conversion math correctly.)
Advertisements  
Old 03-15-2017, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Garrison View Post
So, just for the record, if all the spiders in the world got together, they could eat a 300,000 pound whale in about 11 minutes. (Let's pretend for a second that they can eat every part of the whale, and I did my elephants-to-whales conversion math correctly.)
You run into the square-cube law here. There's nowhere near enough surface area to allow all the spiders access to the whale. Almost all will be looking at the back ends of the spiders ahead of them.

Now if you dispersed the whale carcass into a lot of fine bits, then maybe. That's going to be a lot of dynamite.
Old 03-15-2017, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Bean View Post
Assume they eat 2,500 calories of whale per day.
A long time.
Old 03-16-2017, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigi View Post
I'd krill for some braised whale right about now.
Stop spouting off that nonsense.
Old 03-16-2017, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdelweissPirate View Post
Actually, it goes the other way: bone mass does not increase linearly with body mass, but rather with mass raised to the power of 1.09. So if a blue whale is 100 times the size of a smaller whale, we'd expect its ones to be 151 times as big as the smaller whale's. This suggests a smaller proportion of edible material from the larger whale.
The approximate exponent of 1.09 was derived from terrestrial animals, which support their weight on their bones. As HoneyBadgerDC mentioned, whales are aquatic and don't support their weight using their bones, so whale bones could be proportionally lighter than terrestrial animals' bones.

The Canadian Museum of Nature has a blue whale skeleton from an animal that is estimated to have weighed 80-90 tonnes. Based on the formula in your link (bones = 0.061 * animal1.09), the bones would be predicted to weigh 13,000-15,000 kg, but in fact they only weigh 2883 kg.
Old 03-17-2017, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markn+ View Post
The approximate exponent of 1.09 was derived from terrestrial animals, which support their weight on their bones. As HoneyBadgerDC mentioned, whales are aquatic and don't support their weight using their bones, so whale bones could be proportionally lighter than terrestrial animals' bones.
Actually, while I don't know off the top of my head about whales, some aquatic mammals have heaver bones than land mammals to act as ballast

Quote:
The Canadian Museum of Nature has a blue whale skeleton from an animal that is estimated to have weighed 80-90 tonnes. Based on the formula in your link (bones = 0.061 * animal1.09), the bones would be predicted to weigh 13,000-15,000 kg, but in fact they only weigh 2883 kg.
This could be affected by the fact that whales do not have (significant) long limb bones.