Old 04-24-2017, 02:18 AM

Nuclear End Scenario/What Would You Do?

Subject says it all. I am oddly fascinated by this stuff, mainly due to playing Fallout and I find Cold War stuff interesting.

What would you do, if you survived the initial blast? Would you hunker down, or flee? Where would you set yourself up for safety? What would you gather? What would be your general course of action initially and survival method afterward?

Can't wait to hear the responses.

(Personally, I'd flee, gather medicine and food, and find somewhere remote, preferably underground)
Old 04-24-2017, 02:33 AM

It's moot. I depend on several medications. Unable to get them, I'd die anyway.
Old 04-24-2017, 04:30 AM

Not much more complex than "run away".
Far enough from the city I'll eventually have cellphone signal or access to the internet and I can find out whether it was a one-off or WWIII. And obviously it makes a big difference which of these two scenarios we're in.

I don't really share the fantasy many people (particularly americans) have about a post-apocalypse. It won't be a rock-and-roll mad max adventure, it will hunger and disease. And frustration from remembering all the things you used to have.
Old 04-24-2017, 04:35 AM

I'd find other people, get organized and start rebuilding.
Old 04-24-2017, 05:14 AM
Charter Member

As an urbanite, I'd be well screwed. There are plenty of castles hereabouts for secure shelter but food for the winter is going to be a real problem.
Old 04-24-2017, 06:19 AM

I lack the survival skills and knowledge to survive on my own if I were to be dropped in the wilderness even without a nuclear apocalypse. I'm not physically fit enough to handle a life of daily struggle and potential fights. And I haven't really got any particular skills or knowledge that would be beneficial enough to a group of survivors to justify my presence. And ultimately, a life where I have to expend the majority of every day struggling to merely survive doesn't appeal to me.

I therefore curse my luck at having been a survivor in the first place, and find a way to kill myself in an efficient and as painless manner as I can.
Old 04-24-2017, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by panache45 View Post
+1
Old 04-24-2017, 09:48 AM

Die unhappily, most likely. The urban areas will be irradiated wastelands and I'm ill equipped to survive out in the hinterlands.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mijin View Post
I don't really share the fantasy many people (particularly americans) have about a post-apocalypse. It won't be a rock-and-roll mad max adventure, it will hunger and disease.
Well, it's an amusing fantasy when you can place yourself in the role of the guy in the gatling gun equipped monster truck. Less fun when the reality is that you'd probably be one the the gas farmers wearing a potato sack tunic. Slightly more fun when you can envision a scenario that keeps the infrastructure intact so there's no lack of canned beans and 9mm ammo in the Walmarts.
Old 04-24-2017, 09:50 AM
Charter Member

In years past I might have wanted to run to the woods, go underground or otherwise try to lead a small group to survival. These days, I'd like to think that I could use it as an opportunity to help the old, disabled or infirm around me. Sure, I might just be rounding up food for the cannibals or whatever the scenario says, but I'm tired of just looking out for number one.
Old 04-24-2017, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anomalous1 View Post
Subject says it all. I am oddly fascinated by this stuff, mainly due to playing Fallout and I find Cold War stuff interesting.

What would you do, if you survived the initial blast? Would you hunker down, or flee? Where would you set yourself up for safety? What would you gather? What would be your general course of action initially and survival method afterward?

Can't wait to hear the responses.

(Personally, I'd flee, gather medicine and food, and find somewhere remote, preferably underground)

Sorry company says mandatory overtime, end of the world is not a listed exemption
Old 04-24-2017, 06:27 PM

I'd hopefully die in the blast. As a survivor, I'd probably envy the dead. But what I'd do I would depend heavily on the circumstances at the time.
Old 04-24-2017, 06:29 PM

I'm assuming the Apocalypse will be handicap-accessible?
Old 04-24-2017, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessan View Post
I'd find other people, get organized and start rebuilding.
This. Also I don't want kids, but if nuclear war happened I'd probably start having kids.

I'd probably find a home that was designed to be sustainable (solar panels, water filtration, etc) and live there until I found other survivors.
Old 04-24-2017, 07:52 PM

I'm probably close enough to NYC to not be a survivor but should I survive, I would load my family into the Prius with food, gas, tools, water and head for western Pennsylvania to start I guess. A full tank and 10 gallons in gas cans will get me pretty far. I would be looking for any place people are working to rebuilding civilization and pitch in to help.

Pity, I have solar panels already but there is no way Central Jersey won't be a fall out zone. If I survive I would have to head out fast.

I was an electrician & HVAC mechanic early in my life and I'm a fair carpenter. My electronics and computer skills might be useful too. My wife is good at pottery and knitting and a better programmer. She even raised & milked goats. I think we would be fairly valuable assets in a rebuilding of civilization.

Of course we would probably never get far enough from blast areas to not die in a few weeks from radiation poisoning. NYC, Philly, DC/Baltimore going to get hit hard most likely. What's the radiation radius likely to be around Philly?
Old 04-24-2017, 07:58 PM

No, the title doesn't say it all at all. What does nuclear "end" mean? Was Hiroshima a "nuclear end" End of what? Or are you talking about a Neville Shute beach scenario, where you just wait for the inescapable cloud?

Last edited by jtur88; 04-24-2017 at 07:59 PM.
Old 04-24-2017, 08:27 PM

Fascinating, I really didn't think of the amount that would envy the dead. that makes the most sense, it also would be pretty difficult to find medications that were safe or not irradiated. Just to clarify I meant WW3/END with major cities being hit and given you will survive the radiation exposure. Its not a particular fantasy that I would want to be a part of, just a general curiosity of what people would do/think they would do.

I would like follow the plan what What Exit? would do, except I would probably travel north, might be nicer post-apocalyptic people in Canada (I've met many Canadians and they are wonderful people), should I survive the journey.

Side Question, would car batteries be defunct in this scenario due to the EMP blast? Or would the car frame/body act as a Faraday cage of sorts?
Old 04-25-2017, 12:08 AM

I think even in a worst case scenario there would probably be large pockets of civilization that would remain untouched. I don't think any of the nuclear powers have any interest in bombing the countries in South America. Assuming I somehow survived the initial blast, I would try to make my way to someplace like Chile or Argentina.

Last edited by FlikTheBlue; 04-25-2017 at 12:09 AM.
Old 04-25-2017, 02:27 AM

That's a really good idea! Yeah there would be places untouched, and it's probably scenic down there too, something nice to look at while starting over.
Old 04-25-2017, 02:31 AM

Collect mutants?

That and try to rebuild in a low radiation area.
Old 04-25-2017, 09:35 AM

I'd start by getting a bat and wrapping barbed wire around it.
Old 04-25-2017, 10:53 AM

Funny, but I've been musing on post-apocalytptic scenarios lately. Keep running into problems with just about any option. One main factor is how many other folk are around. Which is more hazardous - the city, or the country?

I'd like to set up in some idyllic countryside, and do the best I can "living off the land." But I realize how difficult - and potentially vulnerable - that would be. To really set up for the long run, I'd like to be able to raid a WalMart for a semi full of canned foods, meds, probably weapons, and hijack a gasoline tanker.

Maybe as a hybrid plan, I'd try to move into and defend a super Wal-Mart type of store, somewhere not terribly populated...

Just staying in my suburban home without food, water, power would get difficult pretty quickly.
Old 04-25-2017, 12:04 PM

The end of life as we know it has zero appeal to me.
Old 04-25-2017, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by panache45 View Post
Probably not immediately, in my case, but sooner than I'd like. But I'm inside a 5psi ring anyway, so likely won't have to worry about it.
Old 04-25-2017, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
The end of life as we know it has zero appeal to me.
Would it really be that way over the entire globe? I think North America, Asia, and Europe will all be screwed. North Africa and Australia will probably also fare poorly. I think that South America and sub Saharan Africa would probably be OK, but I admit to not knowing how much they depend on the northern hemisphere nations for their basic supplies.
Old 04-25-2017, 12:15 PM

Also, this:

https://youtu.be/t039p6xqutU
Old 04-25-2017, 12:20 PM

Here's a similar question that I think is just as interesting. Let's say you're going about your regular business and the news comes out that the nukes are being launched. What do you in this situation?
Old 04-25-2017, 12:22 PM

I'm building a mess of rough, brutal weapons, then I'm going burglaratin' and murderizin'.

If I'm not murdered myself during this rampage, which is extremely likely, probably within seconds of entering the street, I fully envision myself building an evil road army and going full-on Lord Humungus. Either way, I'm looking at a very short, extremely violent existence.
Old 04-25-2017, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinsdale View Post
I'd like to set up in some idyllic countryside, and do the best I can "living off the land." But I realize how difficult - and potentially vulnerable - that would be. To really set up for the long run, I'd like to be able to raid a WalMart for a semi full of canned foods, meds, probably weapons, and hijack a gasoline tanker.

Maybe as a hybrid plan, I'd try to move into and defend a super Wal-Mart type of store, somewhere not terribly populated...
Although the "barricade up a shopping mall/big box store and live the life of a fortress king" is a common trope in zombie and post-apocalypse films, it really wouldn't work out too well in the long run. Malls and stores are not designed for security against determined siege and are poorly constructed for defense. They, like all modern buildings, are also dependant upon HVAC, running water, and regular exterior maintenance for basic integrity and habitability. Looking at an abandoned house will aptly demonstrate how poorly such structures fare when they are exposed to intruding elements, and you are going to be hard pressed to find building materials readily available in this post-apocalyptic world for very long. (Actually, if you wanted to hold up in a building the best would be a warehouse or home improvement store where you'd at least have ready access to building and maintenance materials, hand tools, and generators.) Realize that by staking a fortification in an urban area, you are basically setting yourself up as a target for attack, and unless you have sufficient resources to support an unlimited number of people for an indefinite period you are going to come to conflict. The notion of fending off looters or zombies might seem workable but it would basically turn into an Somali warlord situation, huddled in ruined buildings and basically conscripting or enslaving people to do your bidding in exchange for basic necessities, which is not a very tenable position.

Also realize that modern automotive fuel is volatile and has a useful storage life of about a year or a little longer if you add stabilizers before it starts to turn into varnish. Long term you are either going to have to figure out how to use a fuel you can synthesize from natural sources or abandon powered systems and just use human and animal effort for whatever mobile needs you have. Solar energy could provide power for electrical devices but isn't fungible for transportation needs, and as any blue water sailor can tell you, keeping a solar system up and running for long periods of time without access to parts and replacement cells can be quite a challenge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlikTheBlue View Post
Would it really be that way over the entire globe? I think North America, Asia, and Europe will all be screwed. North Africa and Australia will probably also fare poorly. I think that South America and sub Saharan Africa would probably be OK, but I admit to not knowing how much they depend on the northern hemisphere nations for their basic supplies.
South America and Subsaharan Africa are just as dependant today on industrial manufacturing and agriculture as the rest of the world and would fare poorly as well. In the case of global thermonuclear war, we can expect immediate casualties of somewhere around a billion people from proximate causes (blast effects, firestorms, radiation from fallout and contaminated food and water supplies), followed by civil breakdown and panic, disease, famine, and transitory alteration of climate and loss of agricultural land and supplies. It is not at all a stretch to anticipate deaths in the following years to reach 80% or more of the human population from proximate and ancillary causes, and reducing humanity to pre-industrial levels of population and productivity. My pick of places to best survive would be New Zealand, South Africa, and Argentina/Chile as having basic resources, geographical defensiveness, and basic industrial capabilities to sustain something like modern civilization, but let's not pretend that they won't be dramatically impacted as well, especially if someone starts lobbing weapons off at targets in the Southern Hemisphere.

I do have significant outdoor survival experience and I would not want to face such a challenge. There is pretty much no where you can go in the continental United States that is sufficiently remote and habitable to support you without conflict, and unless you have a large group of trustworthy and like-minded individuals and enough supplies for all you're going to be facing the ugly truth that you can't really defend yourself indefinitely without some kind of civil order. "These violent delights have violent ends," is as appropriate for post-apocalyptic fantasy as it is for tragically idiotic teenage lovers.

Stranger
Old 04-25-2017, 01:31 PM

Just for your planning purposes:

https://nuclearsecrecy.com/nukemap/
Old 04-25-2017, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger On A Train View Post

My pick of places to best survive would be New Zealand, South Africa, and Argentina/Chile as having basic resources, geographical defensiveness, and basic industrial capabilities to sustain something like modern civilization...

Yes good thinking and I'm just checking the Southern Hemisphere migration rules and...oh dear, soz. No immigration allowed. We are full up.

Last edited by Ken001; 04-25-2017 at 02:14 PM.
Old 04-25-2017, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranquilis View Post
Just for your planning purposes:

https://nuclearsecrecy.com/nukemap/
Interesting, I'm just beyond the Thermal radiation radius of a 9000 kiloton bomb. I might survive a blast, but they might also hit the nearby naval base and then I have no worries, I'm toast.

anomalous1, I would expect severe winters to follow a major nuclear exchange, so heading to Canada is probably a bad idea, I'm thinking head west then south. Look for a coal power plants near coal mines. Keep checking the radio, find a shortwave and hope for the best.
Old 04-25-2017, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinsdale View Post
Funny, but I've been musing on post-apocalytptic scenarios lately. Keep running into problems with just about any option. One main factor is how many other folk are around. Which is more hazardous - the city, or the country?
Hate to tell you this, but the country is going to be more hazardous for city folk. Your better off staying in place and working on rebuilding your city, if its been hit or joining aid groups for citys that have been hit, and offer to billet survivors.
Old 04-25-2017, 04:34 PM

Assuming I survive the blasts (unlikely based on where I live and work), I guess I'd try to round up any of my family I could and get away from as much radiation as I could. I live near St. Louis. Mid-Missouri is pretty rural. We might be able to live out an agonizing last few days/weeks there. But without electricity I guess the gas pumps aren't going to work, so unless I happen to have enough gas in the tank, I won't get very far. I'd probably spend a lot of time cursing myself for my opposition to firearms ownership.

I used the NukeMap to drop a Dong Feng 5 on Lambert Airport. According to that site, the 5Mt Dong Feng 5 is China's current ICBM. I picked Lambert because the ANG and Boeing are there. It was also a reassuring thought in that I work right next to the airport, and if anyone drops a bomb there I'll thankfully be instantly vaporized.
Old 04-25-2017, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Mid-Missouri is pretty rural.
Do you have any missile silos that will get ground bursts? Are nuclear power plants being targeted, do you think?

Actually, once, a while ago, I read speculation that back in the Cold War, the US/USSR would target non-nuclear regional powers (particularly those that were ideologically aligned with the enemy, even though not official allies) so that they (US/USSR) did survive, they would not have that powerful potential-ally-to-my-enemy left untouched. I guess this would have been at least late 60s, once USSR had missiles to spare and range enough to hit places like Australia. No idea if it's true, but was just thinking of it in the context of some of the places people thought would be less affected/not nuked.

Do we know anything for certain regarding soviet nuclear targets? I've seen a US list (from way back in the 1950s, and things are so different now, I understand why they didn't mind releasing it), but I don't think I've seen one from the USSR or any of the other nuclear powers.

Counter force or counter value, do you think? Doesn't matter so much with US or Russia, I guess - so many nukes if they decided to lob them all there's not a lot of distinction.

Also, does any know the original source for this image? I see the sources on the key, but wasn't sure if they produced the map, or just their resources were used for locating nuclear power plants, etc. I see it used a lot, sometimes with the implication it's something official, but I recall reading it was just speculation (not even from a government/intelligence source - not sure) when it first came out. I'd just like to know. This was for ca. 1989, right? Or have I gotten it mixed up with a different one?
Old 04-25-2017, 05:03 PM
Charter Member

I'd pack up as much as I could and head for one of the nearby rural locations where I have extended family. There are enough of us that we could just about establish a post-apocalyptic city-state all by ourselves.
Old 04-25-2017, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
Do you have any missile silos that will get ground bursts? Are nuclear power plants being targeted, do you think?
Nope! Nothin' out there but cows and corn! Nothing to see there!

I'm not sure about silos. The B2s are based at Whiteman, in West-Central MO. The image you linked had Columbia, MO getting hit in a 500-warhead scenario and Fulton, where there is a nuclear power plant, getting hit in a 2000 warhead scenario. Interestingly, that map doesn't have Ft. Leonard Wood in Southern MO getting blown up at all. We have some wildlife refuges and national forests in Southern MO that, according to that map, would be spared the brunt of the attacks. If I had a full tank in the Prius, I could make it there to die.
Old 04-25-2017, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayard View Post
The image you linked had Columbia, MO getting hit in a 500-warhead scenario and Fulton, where there is a nuclear power plant, getting hit in a 2000 warhead scenario. Interestingly, that map doesn't have Ft. Leonard Wood in Southern MO getting blown up at all.
Like I said, I don't know the source of the map. But that is interesting.

Quote:
We have some wildlife refuges and national forests in Southern MO that, according to that map, would be spared the brunt of the attacks. If I had a full tank in the Prius, I could make it there to die.
Whenever people talk about going to the woods (to live long-term, not to die very soon) after a country-wide disaster, I always wonder how many city-dwellers are going to go to the same woods, and, even if incompetent, strip it to bare of food resources based on the sheer number of people who manage to make it there. Before those teeming masses die, too.

Last edited by Tzigone; 04-25-2017 at 06:12 PM.
Old 04-25-2017, 08:18 PM

Practice is by no means perfect, but I have successfully created my own water filters, fire from scratch, hunted small game and built different types of shelters before. This City Dweller will have an edge over the rest. I love the Nuke Map, its so fascinating, I wonder if the NSA monitors the hell out of that website. I really didn't think of the nearby targets or the Canadian winters as a problem, now I do lol.

As for gas pumps not working, just pry open a well on the ground and syphon some out. Battery doesn't work, try pouring fuel in the intake and igniting it, who knows.

I love how many responses this post got.
Old 04-25-2017, 08:28 PM

I live in southeastern idaho in the middle of potato country so... everyone would be fleeing my way rather than the other way around.
Old 04-25-2017, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Depends on how you define surviving the blast.
I might not be vaporized but could still be sentenced to die by bleeding out my ass ears eyes any every other body orifice you can imagine.
Or other lovely bi-products of radiation poisoning.

If that's the case, might as well go visit ground zero and just cook myself.

If i am all clear as far as radiation poisoning, i dont think i prefer the hunker down, or go underground and live like a tunnel rat scenario either.
Not any longer than i need to to allow the fallout to decay, which is actually pretty fast.

Stock up on good shoes, because while i can find you all the gasoline you could possibly use, and even pump it for you with no electric, inside of 30 days it is mostly going to turn into crap that can not be used in a car.

If you really gotta have a car, may i suggest something early 70's or older
points ignition, simple carb, no electronics, and stick shift.
I can at least convert that to alcohol that you can distill from sawgrass etc with nothing more than a hand cranked drill, a screw driver, and some neoprene (which i can find you truck loads of)

Get used to not relying on it, because eventually you hit the problem of not being able to manufacture parts to repair it.

First thing i might recommend is you go as far away from people as you can, so that when people start shredding each other over a can of beans, you are not victim to it.
Bombs are only the 1st dying, people are the 2nd one.

Make sure you check out every farm and feed type place you come across.
You will find a lot of useful medicine type stuff there, tools various supplies, and yes food.

I think a lot of the "mob" will ignore these places, as there is no obvious human food on the shelf, but there is a bunch of stuff there you can actually learn to eat.

I second not trying to make a fortress out of a mall or walmart etc.
for one the building is not impenetrable, 1 man could go through the side of a walmart super center with nothing but an 8 pound sledge hammer, and thats assuming one does not just enter through all the glass frontage.

Plus these buildings fall apart really fast with no HVAC systems and no maintenance.
They are not designed to last with out a lot of help.

Not to mention these places would be big targets for the mob mentality minded.

Better off going out to no mans land, where you can see anything coming for miles and have unlimited avenues of retreat.

10's of thousands of years man lived in north america with nothing but sticks rocks and bones for tools, and you got quite a bit more than that to work with, so the opportunity to survive is there.

Actually, it has only been a few hundred years that it wasn't just sticks rocks and bones, was not even horses until the Spanish dumped them here, and everyone did just fine.

You know that lovely stuff in your yard that you attack with the lawn mower?
Yea, that grass stuff.
You can eat it you know?

Yes honestly, you can eat grass.
It isnt terribly nutritious and we do not digest it so easy, but you can eat it.
Boiling it will make things a ton easier on your teeth and stomach.

Common things you can find so you dont starve.
Grasses, dandilions, acorns and various tree seeds/nuts.

Humans require meat, yes vegans the human body requires meat or an artificial supplement to survive, human being on 100% veggies gets sick and dies.

So for meat...
Various rodent types mice rats prarie dogs etc.
Anything from the grasshopper family (It's kosher too!)
Those are easy to acquire, they are everyplace and if you have survived that far, so should they.
You wont need tons, but you do need a meat source if you don't want to get sick.
Eat the bones, grind them boil them smash them etc, you will need calcium.

Unless you happen to have an ass load of vitamin pills, i don't suggest hiding underground, cause lack of sun will cause things like vitamin D deficiency, and you cant just go to the store and buy milk.

Remember all those old buildings is musty old paper books?
Libraries?
Yea, when it seems safe, be sure to hit them up.
All the things you dont know, like what can i eat besides this awful tasting grass soup?
You can learn it in there.
And you can find libraries in small places that are hopefully devoid of nutbag mobs.

Everyone goes killing each other at walmart over the last can of hormel chilli with out beans, no one thinks to go look at a book on north american plant life to learn what grows where, can you eat it, etc.

Learn to collect water.
Very important.
You can go days with not eating, go days with no water and your brain dehydrates and starts thinking nonsense things like how to cease breathing, and before that happens you get really pissy and stupid.

You can boil water easily, you can build water filters with rocks sand and some home made charcoal easily.

You can get all the drinking water you want from any salt water source, you just make a very simple still, no rocket science needed, and as a bonus, you get some salt too.

In humid areas, you can collect water by hanging plastic or tarps that the dew collects on.

If you are in a desert area, you can not make magic happen, located yourself in good proximity to a water source, a solar still only makes a small amount at best, you wont survive long on it.

Animals know where water is, watch them.

DONT go hack open a cactus for water.
most likely it's poison
if it isnt poison, it will still most likely make you sick and vomit.

Lovely fact, you can distill your own piss, and get pure water back.
The still is going to smell like, well...
...piss

Learn all that nifty paleo stuff while you are still able to scrounge modern things, so that when all the modern junk is gone, you wont need it any more.

This is not some kind of how to survive guide, just some off the top of my head ideas.

Hey, at least you dont have to worry about zombies
Old 04-25-2017, 08:55 PM

Quote:
As for gas pumps not working, just pry open a well on the ground and syphon some out.
Works very well, for about a month, then all that gas turns to unusable crap

Quote:
Battery doesn't work, try pouring fuel in the intake and igniting it, who knows.
Don't do this, i know the result you will get.
No eyebrows and a flamed out vehicle.
And to add insult to injury, the engine never started.

Last edited by Weisshund; 04-25-2017 at 08:56 PM.
Old 04-25-2017, 08:58 PM

Weisshund, given this much thought before?
Old 04-25-2017, 09:12 PM

Hmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCnDC View Post
Weisshund, given this much thought before?
This. LOL.

Well, there has to be a way to make the fuel usable again. Can't worry too much about the car at that point, its either driving or not. Wouldn't a stabilizer work if one could procure enough fuel to save? and stabilizer of course.

I have tried it (minus the igniting part) when the battery was working and it got my car moving to get to a shop (and save on a tow). I can only imagine it would be bad to try and ignite it with a lighter or something.
Old 04-25-2017, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weisshund View Post
Don't do this, i know the result you will get.
No eyebrows and a flamed out vehicle.
And to add insult to injury, the engine never started.
Can confirm. Auto shop instructor was less than amused.
Old 04-25-2017, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by What Exit? View Post
Keep checking the radio, find a shortwave and hope for the best.
Catch a Wave

http://youtu.be/yLgWbH-qhVo
Old 04-25-2017, 10:00 PM
Charter Member

Let's see - if I survive the blast and radiation fallout, I retreat to my small farm, which has been here since 1849. On the way, I knock over a pharmacy and take as much as I can, particularly the thyroid med I'm dependent on, since I've had my thyroid removed. Vitamins, since it will be a while before I can provide enough nutrition to keep me healthy. I'd also hit Tractor supply, take their stock of animal antibiotics and other things. I'd take all the Sta-Bil I could get my hands on. Get a tank for diesel for the tractor. I have city water, but I also have a well. Pump is run by electricity, so I might have to devise some sort of hand pump situation. I do have a generator, but fuel isn't going to last forever. I'd steal a bicycle. I have horses, but a bike for short trips would be better than wasting fuel for the car or tractor, and probably faster than a horse could sustain. Start the garden. If there are any goats left without owners, I'd appropriate a few. The deer and turkey are very populous around here, so I guess I'd learn to hunt. I'm pretty sure I could field dress either of those if I had to. I've been meaning to pick up the Firefox series of books, that would be my required reading for quite a while.

StG
Old 04-25-2017, 10:21 PM
Charter Member

Oh, I'd also stock up on every roll of TP and tampon/pad/moon cup I could find. Tampons will be the currency of the land once production stops.

StG
Old 04-25-2017, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StGermain View Post
Oh, I'd also stock up on every roll of TP and tampon/pad/moon cup I could find. Tampons will be the currency of the land once production stops.

StG
Also: Bandaids and topical antibiotics.
Old 04-25-2017, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StGermain View Post

StG
Good point. My brother, who has a bizarrely large cache of weapons in his house, likes to joke (I hope) about stockpiling toilet paper because it will be like currency in after the collapse of civilization. My brother is the most gentle, soft-spoken guy. He's just armed to the fucking teeth. And he has lots of toilet paper in the house.
Old 04-25-2017, 10:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranquilis View Post
Also: Bandaids and topical antibiotics.

My thought is by the time the weak are weeded out, most people will be behind band-aid booboos. If it doesn't need a proper bandage, they'll just ignore it. Same with most lightweight topical antibiotics. Alcohol is easy to make and sterilizes well, if a lot more painfully.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayard View Post
Good point. My brother, who has a bizarrely large cache of weapons in his house, likes to joke (I hope) about stockpiling toilet paper because it will be like currency in after the collapse of civilization. My brother is the most gentle, soft-spoken guy. He's just armed to the fucking teeth. And he has lots of toilet paper in the house.
Tell him to jump on the feminine hygiene bandwagon - people will wipe with leaves or rags, but when a woman spends a quarter of her adult life bleeding vaginally, it has to be contained.

StG