Old 03-20-2017, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merneith View Post
Well, then, what am I supposed to do with this watery tart, here?
I'd suggest dodging the scimitar that she's about to lob at you.

ETA: It's the moistened bint that lobs the scimitar, isn't it? Never can keep 'em straight.

Last edited by RTFirefly; 03-20-2017 at 06:34 PM.
Old 03-20-2017, 06:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by octopus View Post
Come up with a definition of liberal or conservative that works perfectly.
Eh, the definitions for "SJW" offered so far are sufficient unto the purpose. For instance, they designate this as the thread for "War On Christmas" nonsense when that season arrives.
Old 03-20-2017, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsgoddess View Post
Wow.

Just so you know, when you link to a story like this in a thread where you defend your utter contempt for "social justice warriors," it makes me horrified about your argument, not about social justice warriors.
my exact reaction
Old 03-20-2017, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by septimus View Post
Leftists who support gun rights are shunned. Leftists who oppose gay rights are shunned. Had the left been more gracious in embracing diverse opinions the Tragedy of November Eighth might have been averted.
I think there might be something here - among the conservative folks I know, there's still generally an attitude of "look, it's not my thing and I might even wish it wasn't anyone's thing, but I'm not going to stop you doing it as long as you aren't hurting anyone (or messing with my business".

However, a large number of the leftists I know are extremely intolerant of any view that differs from their own - often it's not just enough to accept their view, one has to be wholeheartedly in favour of it lest one be seen as not tolerant enough or something.

I've been called transphobic before for saying "I think trans people should be able to use whichever restroom facilities match their identified gender, but I don't actually know any trans folks so it's really not an issue I have much reason to give much thought to beyond that" - in other words, not caring enough.
The problem
Old 03-20-2017, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martini Enfield View Post
I think there might be something here - among the conservative folks I know, there's still generally an attitude of "look, it's not my thing and I might even wish it wasn't anyone's thing, but I'm not going to stop you doing it as long as you aren't hurting anyone (or messing with my business".
Or wanting the same rights. Or jobs. Or not to be beaten, raped, or killed. Or imprisoned.

But otherwise, they're not gonna stop you!
Old 03-20-2017, 07:52 PM

Quote:
I've been called transphobic before for saying "I think trans people should be able to use whichever restroom facilities match their identified gender, but I don't actually know any trans folks so it's really not an issue I have much reason to give much thought to beyond that" - in other words, not caring enough.
Did that happen on this board? I'd like a chance to laugh at the person who told you such.
Old 03-20-2017, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTFirefly View Post
I'd suggest dodging the scimitar that she's about to lob at you.

ETA: It's the moistened bint that lobs the scimitar, isn't it? Never can keep 'em straight.
Of course you can't keep 'em straight! They're just two different labels for the same H2O enhanced woman of questionable morals.
Old 03-20-2017, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug K. View Post
Of course you can't keep 'em straight! They're just two different labels for the same H2O enhanced woman of questionable morals.
Mmmmmm...H2O-enhanced women of questionable morals!
Old 03-20-2017, 09:29 PM

Quote:

However, a large number of the leftists I know are extremely intolerant of any view that differs from their own - often it's not just enough to accept their view, one has to be wholeheartedly in favour of it lest one be seen as not tolerant enough or something.
Your anecdotal evidence is interesting, but this is a topic where we've got reliable data when it comes to which sentiments are more common, and that is the attitudes of elected representatives on the left and on the right.

And on the right, for those elected representatives, intolerance is the coin of the realm - gays shouldn't be allowed to marry, and discrimination against them should be allowed and encouraged. Not only are they intolerant of a woman's right to choose, but that intolerance increasingly carries all the way to birth control. And it goes well beyond personal matters: near-universal health care is actually cheaper for the country than the way things were before, but because some 'undeserving' people might be getting health care, we should throw it all away, they say. Or they'll ignore a near-total scientific consensus on climate change, the evidence of which is becoming painfully obvious to lay observers as well, because while it started off as a mere gotta-keep-corporations-happy thing, disbelief in climate change has long since become a matter of religious dogma on the right.

I could go on. And on. And on.

So tell me, what are the politicians on the left so unreasonably dogmatic about?
Old 03-20-2017, 09:36 PM

Quote:
"Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony." - Dennis the Peasant

I figure that's not quite as much a non sequitur as your question, but it's the best I can do right now.
You are the one brought up belief and law. Sorry if the obvious relevance of my question eludes you.
Old 03-20-2017, 10:25 PM

Quote:
So tell me, what are the politicians on the left so unreasonably dogmatic about?
You're aware I live in Australia, right? Our political landscape is markedly different to the one in the US.
Old 03-20-2017, 11:22 PM

This thread has gone off the rails into semantics, so let me opine that the right has blown up "SJW" from a limited term to a general insult. They're really good at this, see also:

Regressive - Originally a term of abuse from one liberal to another in internecine debates, but the right now uses it as a synonym or intensifier for "SJW." It's weird to see Trump supporters call liberals "regressives," but here we are.

Fake news - For a couple days this was a term for flagrantly lying news stories, often created by fly by night operations in Eastern Europe or Facebook memes made up by someone's uncle. Now it's used to describe any news organization that goes against Trump or Republicans, everything from Democracy Now to The Washington Post.

Last edited by marshmallow; 03-20-2017 at 11:23 PM.
Old 03-21-2017, 12:22 AM

If I wanted to give an example of a SJW website, I would say "Everyday Feminism". While some of them may have good intentions, their articles are usually written in a very sanctimonious, finger-wagging tone, basically that everyone is guilty until proven innocent. They're also big on the Kafkatrap, I've noticed.
Old 03-21-2017, 02:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinastasia View Post
...They're also big on the Kafkatrap, I've noticed.
Is that like a roach motel?
Old 03-21-2017, 03:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elucidator View Post
Is that like a roach motel?
Denial of guilt is proof that you're guilty. (It's kind of in the same vein as "Have you stopped beating your wife yet?")

Kafkatrap

(Note: this is not exclusive to any political view -- anyone can be guilty of it.)

Last edited by Guinastasia; 03-21-2017 at 03:09 AM.
Old 03-21-2017, 05:07 AM

Quote:
You are the one brought up belief and law. Sorry if the obvious relevance of my question eludes you.
It's relevant only in a First Things sort of sense, where we all have to go back to "I think, therefore I am" and work back up, step by step, to deduce the existence of rice pudding.

Sorry, but don't have time for that this year. Next year isn't looking so good either.
Old 03-21-2017, 05:12 AM

Quote:
You're aware I live in Australia, right? Our political landscape is markedly different to the one in the US.
No, with all due respect I can't say I'd paid enough attention to you to realize that.

Besides the general prevalence of Americans on this board, the examples the OP gave (and the other examples I noticed) were from the U.S. and Canada, so I figured that's kinda where we were in this discussion.
Old 03-21-2017, 06:10 AM

Quote:
No, with all due respect I can't say I'd paid enough attention to you to realize that.

Besides the general prevalence of Americans on this board, the examples the OP gave (and the other examples I noticed) were from the U.S. and Canada, so I figured that's kinda where we were in this discussion.
Well, now you know. I'm in Australia, not the US, I'm afraid.
Old 03-21-2017, 07:39 AM

Quote:
If I wanted to give an example of a SJW website, I would say "Everyday Feminism". While some of them may have good intentions, their articles are usually written in a very sanctimonious, finger-wagging tone, basically that everyone is guilty until proven innocent. They're also big on the Kafkatrap, I've noticed.
That's "interesting", but the SJW label is also used against people who peacefully protest hateful bigots and against people who work to let trans-kids use the bathroom of their gender identity. Do you see the issue with the label?

People have said that you do a lot of "me, too" posts, but I've never really noticed it until now.

Quote:
Well, now you know. I'm in Australia, not the US, I'm afraid.
So, your experience with conservatives would be like an American's experiences with moderates. I'm really happy that you don't have the radical right that we have, but it's not too relevant to this conversation, is it? Were your conservatives overriding local bathroom laws? Passing state constitutional amendments banning same-sex marriage?

Unrelated to the above, I love the term "snarl word" and it describes SJW to a tee.
Old 03-21-2017, 07:45 AM

Quote:

Exactly. The left is really quite good at beating the shit out of each other for not being _____ enough. Divide, divide, divide. It's bullshit and we need to get the right doing the same thing.
Old 03-21-2017, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyBunny View Post
Exactly. The left is really quite good at beating the shit out of each other for not being _____ enough. Divide, divide, divide. It's bullshit and we need to get the right doing the same thing.
Tomi Lahren suspended over pro-choice comments.
Old 03-21-2017, 08:20 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Hand of Dorkness View Post
Since when does a 24 year old become a pundit?
Old 03-21-2017, 08:40 AM

Quote:
If I wanted to give an example of a SJW website,
And I bet you do!

Quote:
I would say "Everyday Feminism". While some of them may have good intentions, their articles are usually written in a very sanctimonious, finger-wagging tone, basically that everyone is guilty until proven innocent. They're also big on the Kafkatrap, I've noticed.
Gosh, that sounds just terrible. Just terrible.
Old 03-21-2017, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RitterSport View Post
So, your experience with conservatives would be like an American's experiences with moderates. I'm really happy that you don't have the radical right that we have, but it's not too relevant to this conversation, is it? Were your conservatives overriding local bathroom laws? Passing state constitutional amendments banning same-sex marriage?
Marriage in Australia is a Commonwealth matter so the individual states couldn't legislate around it no matter what they wanted to do. The overwhelming majority of people want gay marriage legalised anyway and as far as I can work out, the reason it hasn't happened has more to do with politics than religion.

And I think it's because we don't have the issues with things like transgender bathroom issues and other radical right driven silliness that I find SJWs so much more problematic here.

They really are, IMO, going out of their way to find things to be offended by/outraged about - like a white person innocently and without intending any offence at all asking a non-white person "Where are you from?" without realising the non-white person was born in Australia, for example.
Old 03-21-2017, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by running coach View Post
Since when does a 24 year old become a pundit?
When she's blonde, attractive, and "conservative".

ETA: She's a YouTube troll that's been elevated to the seraphim of conservative talking heads.

Last edited by Chisquirrel; 03-21-2017 at 09:37 AM. Reason: Clarification
Old 03-21-2017, 03:35 PM

Quote:
It's relevant only in a First Things sort of sense, where we all have to go back to "I think, therefore I am" and work back up, step by step, to deduce the existence of rice pudding.

Sorry, but don't have time for that this year. Next year isn't looking so good either.
Not really. The law you live under is not that far removed from people's opinions, even irrational opinions.
Old 03-22-2017, 01:08 AM

Quote:
It's as much about in-group shibboleths as it is about anything else. When you strip away all the bullshit, all GGers have in common is hating on "SJWs". Even the fapping over anime boobs isn't as universal as that.

And yes. SJW is just the latest snarl word for "worthy of mockery for thinking maybe people shouldn't be quite so horrible to each other". It was hippie, before that it was pinko commie, then it was bleeding heart, then it was liberal, and now it's SJW ... all of which have to be said with a tone of utter contempt and a slight curl of the lip to reflect disgust.
- https://www.reddit.com/r/GamerGhazi/...ts_inherently/
Old 03-22-2017, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budget Player Cadet View Post
SJW is just the latest snarl word for "worthy of mockery for thinking maybe people shouldn't be quite so horrible to each other".
The problem is that it goes both ways. One person's "Not being horrible at all" is someone else's egregious insult/offence. There needs to be some middle ground - and that means not assuming offence where it's fairly clear none was intended.

And considering SJWs are given to bashing people for being white hetero men or otherwise belonging to the Non-Approved List, I'd say there's something odd about deriding anyone who uses the term SJW for "thinking maybe people shouldn't be quite so horrible to each other" when, IME, much of the "being horrible to other people" aspect of things comes from the Left.

Look at it this way: I've never, ever had a conservative person call me a "Nigger lover" or a "Fucking queer" for saying I think everyone should be treated equally with the same rights and not be discriminated against for their ethnicity or sexuality.

I have, however, been called a host of unpleasant things - including but not limited to "Racist", "Transphobe", "Oppressor", "Privileged Cis White Dude" and "Bigot" - by people on the Left for disagreeing with their views, or (just as badly in their eyes) not agreeing with their views strongly enough.
Old 03-22-2017, 06:58 AM

Quote:
The problem is that it goes both ways. One person's "Not being horrible at all" is someone else's egregious insult/offence. There needs to be some middle ground - and that means not assuming offence where it's fairly clear none was intended.

And considering SJWs are given to bashing people for being white hetero men or otherwise belonging to the Non-Approved List, I'd say there's something odd about deriding anyone who uses the term SJW for "thinking maybe people shouldn't be quite so horrible to each other" when, IME, much of the "being horrible to other people" aspect of things comes from the Left.
The middle ground is not bashing someone for being a white hetero man, and also not using stupid pejoratives like SJW. It's a fun middle ground--come join me here!
Old 03-22-2017, 10:36 AM

Quote:
The middle ground is not bashing someone for being a white hetero man, and also not using stupid pejoratives like SJW. It's a fun middle ground--come join me here!
The difference is that there is nothing intrinsically bad about being a white hetero male. They have some disadvantages when it comes to seeing some social issues because their life experience and perspective hides these issues from them but running around calling everyone who disagrees with you racist or sexist, when racism and sexism doesn't exist is in fact intrinsically bad.
Old 03-22-2017, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damuri Ajashi View Post
The difference is that there is nothing intrinsically bad about being a white hetero male. They have some disadvantages when it comes to seeing some social issues because their life experience and perspective hides these issues from them but running around calling everyone who disagrees with you racist or sexist, when racism and sexism doesn't exist is in fact intrinsically bad.
Why you think this is a refutation of what I wrote is a mystery.
Old 03-22-2017, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Not really. The law you live under is not that far removed from people's opinions, even irrational opinions.
Sure. But the particulars of the laws we actually have is one thing; "Why does society have any law?" is another. We can discuss Thomas Hobbes in another thread, if you feel like opening one.
Old 03-22-2017, 12:39 PM

Nasty, British, and short.
Old 03-22-2017, 12:52 PM

Quote:

Look at it this way: I've never, ever had a conservative person call me a "Nigger lover" or a "Fucking queer" for saying I think everyone should be treated equally with the same rights and not be discriminated against for their ethnicity or sexuality.

I have, however, been called a host of unpleasant things - including but not limited to "Racist", "Transphobe", "Oppressor", "Privileged Cis White Dude" and "Bigot" - by people on the Left for disagreeing with their views, or (just as badly in their eyes) not agreeing with their views strongly enough.
I don't agree with either type calling you names unless they're deserved, but going up to a conservative person and claiming group X deserves to be treated equally when they are not, doesn't typically raise their ire because you're not suggesting anything be done. So this hypothetical conservative is minimally affected by your disinterest because 1) deep in their heart they know equal rights usually doesn't hurt them at all and 2) you aren't going to actually do anything. So their position is not threatened in the slightest by your statement.

On the other hand, people on the left actually need you to do something with your professed opposition to discrimination. They need you to recognize that group X is discriminated against and that something must be done about it, but you don't recognize the problem, are hesitant to do anything about it at all, or worry too much about what will happen to the advantaged group when this group X gets their rights.

So the active leftist sees you as useless for everything but one more thing: punishment for being insufficiently supportive. It does serve a purpose. It keeps their nails sharp and maybe their insult of you will get somebody ignorant of the topic to take the leftist's side because they may not know anything but they sure do know they don't want to be a bigot.

Lastly, any name that you happen to get called is far less stressful than a person living in North Carolina stressing over what bathroom to use and feeling the anger of a population whose bigotry has been loosened by the rhetoric of normalizing prejudice via bathroom legislation. Quit whining.
Old 03-22-2017, 02:54 PM

And there lies the problem with SJWs, by their metrics everyone is a bigot (or sexist, or racist, etc, etc...) and should be punished for it.
Old 03-22-2017, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ale View Post
And there lies the problem with SJWs, by their metrics everyone is a bigot (or sexist, or racist, etc, etc...) and should be punished for it.
In that sense not too different from ISIS, which goes after not just non-Muslims, but also Muslims who don't adhere to their views closely enough.

The ironic thing is that some people on the political left criticized President Bush for saying, "You are either with us or against us" shortly after 9/11, yet that is the same divisive stance that they themselves take.
Old 03-22-2017, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Yes, what SJWs want to do is punish every human. SJWs are actually in favor of the annihilation of humanity, right? And this is a very big thing on the left, right?

Or maybe this is an absurd assertion about a silly characterization?
Old 03-22-2017, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Beat me, whip me, make me write bad checks!
Old 03-22-2017, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
In that sense not too different from ISIS, which goes after not just non-Muslims, but also Muslims who don't adhere to their views closely enough.
I know that I have a very hard time distinguishing between criticizing people for their ill-considered political views, and throwing people off buildings to their deaths. Same difference, right?

No: what the people you're labeling SJWs are most like is someone who, on seeing someone who (in their view) is insufficiently committed to free speech, compares that person to mass murderers. That's what they're like.
Old 03-22-2017, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
Those SJWs are so terrible and have no sense of proportion! They are like ISIS!
Old 03-22-2017, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Well Obama's the founder of both of them, so there's that similarity.
Old 03-22-2017, 04:03 PM

I'm for real wondering how Velocity thinks political debate ought to go. Three people, one of whom believes lesbians should be executed, one of whom believes they should be susceptible to firing for their sinful ways, one of whom believes they should be treated by law as a protected class. The third person ought to look at the second, shrug, and say, "Eh, close enough"?

Because he seems real bothered by the idea that the third person would criticize the second for their views.

Is that how conservatives work? Is that why Mark Meadows is fine with the AHCA, even though it's not what he wants, and why he's just said, "Eh, close enough"?
Old 03-22-2017, 04:06 PM

Quote:
y'all are getting sarcasm all over my screen!
Old 03-22-2017, 04:52 PM

I might not notice, I haven't given my screen a good scraping in more than a week.

Last edited by elucidator; 03-22-2017 at 04:52 PM.
Old 03-22-2017, 05:10 PM

Quote:
I'm for real wondering how Velocity thinks political debate ought to go. Three people, one of whom believes lesbians should be executed, one of whom believes they should be susceptible to firing for their sinful ways, one of whom believes they should be treated by law as a protected class. The third person ought to look at the second, shrug, and say, "Eh, close enough"?

Because he seems real bothered by the idea that the third person would criticize the second for their views.

Is that how conservatives work? Is that why Mark Meadows is fine with the AHCA, even though it's not what he wants, and why he's just said, "Eh, close enough"?
No, no, you have it all wrong. There are FOUR people:
  1. one of whom believes lesbians should be executed
  2. one of whom believes they should be susceptible to firing for their sinful ways
  3. one of whom is more or less OK in theory with not discriminating against lesbians, but only as long as they are not required to think about the issue or do anything about it and any anti-discrimination efforts does not affect them in any way whatsoever, including the inalienable right not to be reminded that there is actually an ongoing social issue here, and of course retaining the right to make lesbian jokes and derogatory comments as they see fit without being subject to criticism
  4. one of whom believes they should be treated by law as a protected class

It is this 3rd class of persons whose rights to free and open political expression are being unfairly trampled by those bigoted, unreasonable, shrill and intolerant SJWs.
Old 03-22-2017, 10:47 PM

Quote:
And there lies the problem with the far right, by their metrics everyone is an SJW (or nigger, or homo, or jew, or cuck, or feminazi, or snowflake, etc, etc...) and should be punished for it.
Old 03-22-2017, 11:13 PM

I'll just say it outright. SJW is straw concept. Its entire point is to exaggerate what may be legitimate points by asserting all sorts of hidden motivations or ideals into the mix. It's exactly the same as what the people who use it claim liberals do with "racist."

There are, of course, some people out on the loonie fringes of the left. But those, by and large, are not what people use the "SJW" label to mean. Sure, they'll use them as examples when they want to say that SJWs are evil, but they apply the concept to anyone who is pro-social justice, or, at least, more pro-social justice than the speaker.

It is, ironically, what they claim liberals are doing with the word "racist." They claim we're taking all these non-racist things and calling them racist. But we aren't. The problem is, they've gotten this fucked up idea that "racist" means "monster." They think it's just an insult. But it describes a real concept. You can be a lot racist and be a monster. You can be a little racist and just need to say "oops, sorry. Didn't mean to offend."

And, as a derogatory term, it is one that has been reclaimed. Now I actually will sometimes proudly call myself an SJW. Because I do in fact argue for social justice. More often, I simply use the definition of SJW back at the people who use it, just like I do with "snowflake" and similar.

In fact, I would flat out call the OP an SJW. Getting all upset about isolated cases? Acting as if they represent some social ill that we need to fix? You're doing exactly the same things you accuse SJWs of doing, just on the other side.

What you don't do are the good things that so-called SJWs do. Just the bad things you accuse them of doing.
Old 03-22-2017, 11:18 PM

And, to Ale: of course everyone is a bigot. How is that controversial?

I actually took that test where you see how you associate dark skin with bad things. I do it, too. Even though I'm vehemently anti-racist, I still have some bigotry in me.

What I don't get are all these people on the right wing that apparently think they've perfected themselves on that issue. Or any issue, really. I'm a little bit racist. I'm a little bit selfish. I'm more than a little bit of a coward. I'm a little bit squeamish. I'm a little bit hateful. I'm a little bit sexist. I'm a little bit homophobic. And I can go on and on.

What in the world is wrong with acknowledging this and working on it? What is wrong with acknowledging this in others and trying to help them work on it? Thing is, I know those things are bad, so I'm trying to make the world better.

That's social justice. And why the fuck is that a bad thing?
Old 03-23-2017, 10:02 AM

So, a new user in this thread insisting using some other culture's words is cultural appropriation (posts number 3 and 7, so far.)
Old 03-23-2017, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Garrison View Post
So, a new user in this thread insisting using some other culture's words is cultural appropriation (posts number 3 and 7, so far.)
It's a dumb argument, I agree, and it should be opposed. It's dumb for linguistic reasons, though; the impulse behind it--concern for other cultures--is a fine impulse.