Old 03-23-2017, 10:19 AM
BANNED

In today's stupid Social Justice Warrior bullshit o' the day update:

Black artists protest inclusion of Emmett Till painting in gallery because the artist is white.

Not only that, the leader of the protest, in a display of the kind of openness to free expression we've come to expect from SJW's, requested that the painting be, not just taken down, but destroyed.

It's worth noting that the painting is not mocking or disrespectful of Till in any way, shape or form. Literally the only problem these censorious assholes have is the skin colour of the artist. That's it. If a black artist had painted the exact same thing they wouldn't have protested.

Sadly, the artist herself has capitulated and asked the painting be removed, prioritising the feelings of a very small and vocal minority over her own artistic integrity, which is a shame.
Old 03-23-2017, 10:40 AM

I looked up Hannah Black and of course she was a Goldsmiths student. It's a good arts school and they produce a lot of excellent artists but Jesus they're a whiny bunch. This sort of thing is what they do to get attention and pretend that their thoughts on any matter (and by association their artworks) are deep and meaningful.

Last edited by Gyrate; 03-23-2017 at 10:43 AM.
Old 03-23-2017, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Hand of Dorkness View Post
the impulse behind it--concern for other cultures--is a fine impulse.
I agree that the road to wackyland is paved with good intentions. But you still end up in wackyland.
Old 03-23-2017, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Sanchez View Post
Sadly, the artist herself has capitulated and asked the painting be removed, prioritising the feelings of a very small and vocal minority over her own artistic integrity, which is a shame.
She should retitle it "I Can't Paint Heads So I Just Randomly Smear Paint With My Fingers And Pretend That It Is Art." and put it back on display.
Old 03-23-2017, 11:38 AM

Quote:
In today's stupid Social Justice Warrior bullshit o' the day update:

Black artists protest inclusion of Emmett Till painting in gallery because the artist is white.
So I can admit it when I'm wrong.

I've long maintained that conservatives are being dumbshits for getting in a freakout rage every time some undergraduate said something stupid. First, teenagers say dumb things; second, the freakouts give the teenagers far more press than they'd otherwise get; third, these same folks are conspicuously silent when powerful conservatives do much more harmful things, such as close academic programs in the UNC system because they dislike the program's political implications.

But my focus on undergrads was wrong, I can admit it.

It's not just undergrads saying outrageous things, y'all. IT'S ARTISTS TOO!

Holy fuck!

What is HAPPENING in society when there are ARTISTS who say outrageous, provocative, stupid things? What have we COME to?!!!

*faints dead away*
Old 03-23-2017, 11:40 AM

Quote:
So I can admit it when I'm wrong.

I've long maintained that conservatives are being dumbshits for getting in a freakout rage every time some undergraduate said something stupid. First, teenagers say dumb things; second, the freakouts give the teenagers far more press than they'd otherwise get; third, these same folks are conspicuously silent when powerful conservatives do much more harmful things, such as close academic programs in the UNC system because they dislike the program's political implications.

But my focus on undergrads was wrong, I can admit it.

Holy fuck!

What is HAPPENING in society when there are ARTISTS who say outrageous, provocative, stupid things? What have we COME to?!!!

*faints dead away*
It's okay, we have a name for them now. SJW. It makes it all better.
Old 03-23-2017, 11:44 AM

I will treat the story of the painting with exactly the gravity I think it deserves:

Hey, at first glance that seems kind of silly.
Old 03-23-2017, 11:56 AM

Quote:

*faints dead away*
The problem here isn't the artist; artists will say anything. I don't blame her for being who she is. The problem is with the gallery that listened to her.
Old 03-23-2017, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessan View Post
The problem here isn't the artist; artists will say anything. I don't blame her for being who she is. The problem is with the gallery that listened to her.
The gallery's statement appears to support the painter.
Old 03-23-2017, 12:02 PM

Quote:
That's how I read it as well.
Old 03-23-2017, 12:03 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Hand of Dorkness

Holy fuck!

*faints dead away*
Well, at least you agree that it's provocative and stupid. It's also racist, FYI, but provocative and stupid is still a more perspicacious analysis than I've come to expect from you.
Old 03-23-2017, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Well, at least you agree that it's provocative and stupid. It's also racist, FYI, but provocative and stupid is still a more perspicacious analysis than I've come to expect from you.
Sure it's stupid. They would probably be equally upset if white artists never painted people of color. If this was a common attitude, I could see why people would be upset.

On the other hand, maybe we should try to understand why she feels this way and what is motivating her actions. We might not end up agreeing with her, but perhaps we'll better understand the controversy. I've read her letter, and see her point. I think she's wrong, but I don't think her view is offensive or should be silenced.

I imagine that the same could be said for most "stupid" things SJWs are doing. Underneath it all is a point that is worth trying to understand.
Old 03-23-2017, 12:13 PM

Quote:
My mistake - I misread it.
Old 03-23-2017, 12:38 PM

Quote:
I have never disagreed that there are stupid people doing stupid things. I have never disagreed that there are stupid leftists doing stupid things. I have never disagreed that there are stupid leftists doing stupid things that are related to their politics.

I have disagreed that I should give a shit, if they're people with zero power or influence. I have disagreed that I should pay more attention to them than I do to powerful people doing stupid, politically motivated shit. And I have disagreed that in talking about these people, I should use a term borrowed from a giant-ass group of misogynists who popularized the term in a campaign of terror against feminists doing solid work in game industry criticism.
Old 03-23-2017, 12:39 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Procrustus
On the other hand, maybe we should try to understand why she feels this way and what is motivating her actions. We might not end up agreeing with her, but perhaps we'll better understand the controversy. I've read her letter, and see her point. I think she's wrong, but I don't think her view is offensive or should be silenced
She probably thinks that way because she either (a) genuinely believes in spurious drivel like 'cultural appropriation' and the idea that only whitey can be racist or (b) is willing to peddle those asinine shibboleths to enhance her profile. In other words, she's either a bigot or a cynic and a fool in either case.

Either way, the notion that a gallery should destroy a painting because images of its subject are protected by some weird creative commons licence that applies only to black people is bizarre, censorious, and racist.
Old 03-23-2017, 12:50 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Hand of Dorkness
I have disagreed that I should give a shit, if they're people with zero power or influence. I have disagreed that I should pay more attention to them than I do to powerful people doing stupid, politically motivated shit. And I have disagreed that in talking about these people, I should use a term borrowed from a giant-ass group of misogynists who popularized the term in a campaign of terror against feminists doing solid work in game industry criticism.
Just because a person doesn't have power or influence individually doesn't mean that they can't have power or influence in a group. After all, it was 535 people with zero power and influence that gave us 8 years of George W. Bush, at least according to the Supreme Court.

If you want to pay more attention to other people, by all means do it. Preferably in a thread far, far from here. But don't be trying to set my priorities for me. I think these people, in the aggregate, do considerable harm to public debate, and are, at least in part, responsible for the stratospheric rise of the "alt-right", if for no better reason than their sheer obnoxiousness and the delight with which they revel in their double standards pushes people in the centre further rightward. This thread is designed to highlight examples of their more egregious misbehaviour in order to clarify the threat to public discourse that they pose.

If you think there's more important things to talk about, fine. No-one's forcing you to be part of this conversation.
Old 03-23-2017, 12:57 PM

Quote:
But don't be trying to set my priorities for me. I think these people, in the aggregate, do considerable harm to public debate, and are, at least in part, responsible for the stratospheric rise of the "alt-right", if for no better reason than their sheer obnoxiousness and the delight with which they revel in their double standards pushes people in the centre further rightward.
I'm not trying to set your priorities for you. I just think you're a ridiculous hyperbolic chicken little for setting the priorities the way you do, and it's idiotic to think that these people do any real harm in the aggregate to public debate. Who really harms the public debate is tremblers like yourself who act like a bunch of teenagers and artists present a real threat to our culture, diverting attention from the very real dangers posed by the vested powers in our culture.
Old 03-23-2017, 12:58 PM

Quote:
I have disagreed that I should give a shit, if they're people with zero power or influence.
But when stupid people saying stupid things band together, they can become stupid mobs and stupid movements, affecting stupid change.

BTW, we are both terrible, terrible people for using the word "stupid."

Last edited by Darren Garrison; 03-23-2017 at 01:03 PM.
Old 03-23-2017, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Garrison View Post
But when stupid people saying stupid things band together, they can become stupid mobs and stupid movements, affecting stupid change.
It's true! Why, art galleries across the world have removed paintings of black people done by white people already, right?

Or, what else. Ooh, I know! Dictionaries are scrubbing the dictionary of words appropriated from other language. Right?

Hmm, not that. Okay, how about this: the United States has elected a president enslaved to the forces of political correctness. Right?

Help me see what you're talking about.
Old 03-23-2017, 01:03 PM

Quote:
And I have disagreed that in talking about these people, I should use a term borrowed from a giant-ass group of misogynists who popularized the term in a campaign of terror against feminists doing solid work in game industry criticism.
It's like the people who said they were going to start using "cuckservative" as a pro-liberal word. No. The word's use originated with white nationalists.
Old 03-23-2017, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Help me see what you're talking about.
I'm not talking about a single example but the overall movement of attempts at language police, "unplatforming", and framing absolutely every damn thing in the form of identity politics. (I prefer the term "illiberal left" to SJW.) And I see the movement as very, very scarily similar in ideologies to the beginning of movements like the Khmer Rouge and the Chinese Cultural Revolution. The far left today is every bit as much of a dystopic nightmare as the far right.
Old 03-23-2017, 01:55 PM

Quote:
The far left today is every bit as much of a dystopic nightmare as the far right.
Yes, because anything the far left advocates is close to as bad as ethnic cleansing and world war.
Old 03-23-2017, 03:16 PM

When Hannah Black becomes president of the US, you can tell me that the far left is as bad as the far right.
Old 03-23-2017, 03:22 PM

Quote:
BTW, we are both terrible, terrible people for using the word "stupid."
Oh shit--the Washington Post published this? I can't believe it!

No wait. Sorry, a US Senator referenced this on the floor of our nation's capitol. I still can't believe it!

No, wait. This is a policy of a multinational corporation, and they're firing people for violating it. Yup, can't believe it!

No, wait. Some random blogger whom I've never heard of made a dumb argument. I still can't--actually, hold up--oh shit, it turns out I CAN believe it!

What I'm having trouble believing is that you think I'm going to give a shit about this rando dummy who has no influence at all, when I haven't cared about any of the other rando dummies who have no influence at all.
Old 03-23-2017, 03:24 PM

Quote:
"unplatforming"
What the hell is this, and how did you learn about it? Googling the term gets me nowhere. Is this really something you've encountered in the wild, or is this yet more recreational outrage from chicken little conservatives?
Old 03-23-2017, 03:48 PM

Quote:
What the hell is this, and how did you learn about it? Googling the term gets me nowhere. Is this really something you've encountered in the wild, or is this yet more recreational outrage from chicken little conservatives?
Sorry, I misspoke. I meant noplatforming. I mainly see it in my daily reading of one of my favorite blogs. (By someone who is a classical liberal, not one of the little Maos of today.)
Old 03-23-2017, 03:53 PM

Quote:
What I'm having trouble believing is that you think I'm going to give a shit about this rando dummy who has no influence at all, when I haven't cared about any of the other rando dummies who have no influence at all.
What I'm having a hard time believing is that someone as intelligent as you is arguing that pointing out tree after tree after tree after tree after tree doesn't add up to a forest.
Old 03-23-2017, 04:04 PM

Quote:
What I'm having a hard time believing is that someone as intelligent as you is arguing that pointing out tree after tree after tree after tree after tree doesn't add up to a forest.
Weird thing about forests. They kinda hafta be together. If you point out a tree in Michigan and a tree in South Africa and a tree in Jamaica and a tree in Chile and a tree in Russia and a tree in Japan, you don't have a forest. You have six trees. Probably not even the same species.
Old 03-23-2017, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsgoddess View Post
Weird thing about forests. They kinda hafta be together. If you point out a tree in Michigan and a tree in South Africa and a tree in Jamaica and a tree in Chile and a tree in Russia and a tree in Japan, you don't have a forest. You have six trees. Probably not even the same species.
So to be considered parts of a group or movement, all the members must be in the same geographical location? So you will, of course, agree that there was no gamergate, and no tea party--just for two examples--because those people lived in different locations? Or do you just use such special pleading for groups that you share ideals with?
Old 03-23-2017, 05:19 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Oh, for crying out loud. You're on the internet!
Old 03-23-2017, 05:29 PM

Quote:
No, I see the forest you're talking about. I'm just not Durkon.
Old 03-23-2017, 05:33 PM

Quote:
So to be considered parts of a group or movement, all the members must be in the same geographical location? So you will, of course, agree that there was no gamergate, and no tea party--just for two examples--because those people lived in different locations? Or do you just use such special pleading for groups that you share ideals with?
I don't know what gamergate is, but the tea party was acting in concert (hence "party" as part of its name)

There are certainly individuals who say stupid shit here and there, but I doubt they're acting together in most cases.

You're free to point and laugh, but I don't get the outrage. As many have pointed out, none of this is new. We had a "Womyn's Center" at my college, circa 1979, for example. Before that, demonstrations to keep military recruiters off campus. Racial questions have always been hot button issues. Young people, particularly, like to push limits and explore their new-found self-righteous indignation. It's generally harmless, and sometimes provocative. The complaint about a white artist's painting raises some interesting questions. I come down on the other side of the controversy, but I see her point, and admire her passion. I'd be happy to sit and debate her sometime.
Old 03-23-2017, 06:19 PM

Quote:
No, I see the forest you're talking about. I'm just not Durkon.
Up until the day that some parent of one of your third graders decides that something innocuous you said was unforgivably offensive and does their best to get your fired, after which, you will learn that the forest is full of these.
Old 03-23-2017, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Up until the day that some parent of one of your third graders decides that something innocuous you said was unforgivably offensive and does their best to get your fired...
I endorse your argument in favor of teachers' unions and pedagogic standards.
Old 03-23-2017, 06:36 PM

Quote:
So to be considered parts of a group or movement, all the members must be in the same geographical location?
No, they have to be part of the group or movement. Trees, even a lot of trees, are not necessarily all part of the same forest.
Old 03-23-2017, 07:12 PM

So imagine that in the United States, 1% of people are real goddamn idiots (I know--bear with me a moment). Of those real goddamn idiots, 1% are far left (I SAID bear with me!). Of those far left real goddamn idiots, 1% will do something real fuckin stupid in any given month.

With those assumptions, I'd expect to see about 300 far left goddamn idiots doing something real fuckin stupid every month--ten every single day.

So when you're listing a bunch of anecdotes from the past month, my reaction isn't HOLY SHIT THE HORDES, my reaction is, that all you got?

Quote:
Up until the day that some parent of one of your third graders decides that something innocuous you said was unforgivably offensive and does their best to get your fired, after which, you will learn that the forest is full of these.
Shit, you really want to go there? Okay, let's go there.

I've been teaching ten years. In that time, I've had one parent semi-accuse me of bias--but she clarified that she wanted me to consider my actions carefully, and I did and I decided she was wrong, and I had 100% support from my administration when I went to them. I'm on friendly terms with the parent to this day.

In that time, I have never had a parent try to fire me. I haven't seen it happen, or heard of it happening, at either of the schools I've taught at. I've not heard of it happening in my extended network of teacher friends.

So no: I'm not going to be terrified of all trees because on the other side of the world there are some that sting. That would be super stupid of me.

What I have done is sit through multiple trainings about how we gotta be careful about what we put on Facebook, because teachers have been fired 'round these parts for pictures showing flagrant drinking, or sexy poses, on social media. What I have done is see a posting for a custodian at a local school and fail to forward it to a friend who's looking for cleaning work, because my friend also does fetish modeling, and I know that if that came out, not only could she face a nasty firing, but I also could be smeared by the scandal.

It's not your incredibly rare, less than one-in-a-million SJWs that worry me.

Last edited by Left Hand of Dorkness; 03-23-2017 at 07:14 PM.
Old 03-23-2017, 07:13 PM

Quote:
She probably thinks that way because she either (a) genuinely believes in spurious drivel like 'cultural appropriation' and the idea that only whitey can be racist or (b) is willing to peddle those asinine shibboleths to enhance her profile. In other words, she's either a bigot or a cynic and a fool in either case.

Either way, the notion that a gallery should destroy a painting because images of its subject are protected by some weird creative commons licence that applies only to black people is bizarre, censorious, and racist.
You're putting a lot of gravitas into what's really a crappy painting. Maybe because it looks like diarrhea is why they want it destroyed.
Old 03-23-2017, 07:32 PM

That's the other part of the SJW thing I didn't mention. Since it is used to attack anyone who cares about something you don't think they should, and because it lumps so many different things under one roof, it creates this delusion that there's some great and powerful SJW force that is causing harm to our country.

I've seen this all the time. The SJWs are taking over. Because someone says that you should be aware that black people have problems that you don't, it's the same as some loony kid saying "let's get rid of white people!"

In Gamergate* specifically, it was kinda fun watching how the fact that most of the world disagreed with them turned into some SJW conspiracy theory, including tons of secret operatives working together. It was like running into people talking about the Illuminati.

What was less fun was seeing how far and wide the "SJW" stupidity spread. What was once only talked about in small bigoted circles found a following even among people I would otherwise respect. People who were as anti-racist as they could be would start using the term, not realizing where it came from and what it meant.

Because it was so meaningless--anyone who was concerned about something you think is stupid--anyone could use it. And that just reinforced the delusion. If even the liberals think SJWs exist, then everything must be true. It can't be that the term is stupid and pointless.

*The SJW term was not a Gamergate thing, BTW. It was used on 4chan long before that. It was just one of the terms they used to get people on board.
Old 03-23-2017, 07:35 PM

Quote:
No, they have to be part of the group or movement. Trees, even a lot of trees, are not necessarily all part of the same forest.
I thought the thread derailing brigade used recipes and not diatribes about the forest.
Old 03-23-2017, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by octopus View Post
I thought the thread derailing brigade used recipes and not diatribes about the forest.
Hi, disingenuous fucker!

A "diatribe" is a sharply abusive condemnation of a person or thing. But a "metaphor" (such as using the image of a group of disparate and unrelated trees to represent the concept of "not a fucking forest") is a literary technique used among other things to explain and elucidate a particular relationship (or a specific phenomenological aspect of a relationship) between various elements of a proposed causal chain.
Old 03-23-2017, 08:14 PM

For real. Darren Garrison used this dumb metaphor to neg my intelligence. I turned it around on him in a real dorkburn, not only referencing a webcomic, but a freakin D&D webcomic. Rather than be like, "Oooh, dorkburn," he kept stretching the metaphor to bring up, and this was really his approach, both my job and rare stinging Australian trees.

You can't blame the libs for this one, octopus.

Last edited by Left Hand of Dorkness; 03-23-2017 at 08:14 PM.
Old 03-23-2017, 08:38 PM

I have a guess. I guess that most people who revel in finding so-called SJWs being stupid in general think that almost all racism, sexism, and similar isms are either mostly in the past or have never been that big of a deal to start with, so anyone talking about such isms are automatically ludicrous.

And I would guess that most people who think so-called SJWs are not particularly troubling think that there is a ton of ism, that it's pervasive if not omnipresent, that it's a serious issue at times, and that sometimes it's hidden in things that seem rather benign, so someone talking about such isms may be wrong or even silly but not automatically ludicrous.
Old 03-23-2017, 08:45 PM

Quote:
I think these people, in the aggregate, do considerable harm to public debate, and are, at least in part, responsible for the stratospheric rise of the "alt-right", if for no better reason than their sheer obnoxiousness and the delight with which they revel in their double standards pushes people in the centre further rightward. This thread is designed to highlight examples of their more egregious misbehaviour in order to clarify the threat to public discourse that they pose.
What I want to know is, what kind of people, when annoyed with "SJWs", which is a small group with members from every race, decide to throw their lots in with the alt-right? Sure, I can see people moderating their own views in the face of stridency. But if a couple of irritating young people make you go full Nazi, then you're the asshole, not them.

I'm also curious how SJWs manage to both turn people alt-right and force everyone to ostracize those they deem unworthy. Are there no reasonable people left besides you, Rick Sanchez? And how did you escape their wily clutches?
Old 03-23-2017, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by random6x7 View Post
What I want to know is, what kind of people, when annoyed with "SJWs", which is a small group with members from every race, decide to throw their lots in with the alt-right? Sure, I can see people moderating their own views in the face of stridency. But if a couple of irritating young people make you go full Nazi, then you're the asshole, not them.

I'm also curious how SJWs manage to both turn people alt-right and force everyone to ostracize those they deem unworthy. Are there no reasonable people left besides you, Rick Sanchez? And how did you escape their wily clutches?
The argument that makes me laugh is when someone says something offensive then says that they'd get attacked in any case so "might as well be hanged for sheep as for a lamb."

Because the point of that idiom is that you shouldn't let the punishment stop you from doing the thing you want to do because you'll suffer the same whether you do it or not. If saying racist shit is the thing you want to do, it's really hard to argue that you became racist because someone called you one.
Old 03-23-2017, 10:13 PM

Quote:
....my friend also does fetish modeling....
So, is that a "dress up" thing? Is there any money in it? Asking for a friend....
Old 03-23-2017, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elucidator View Post
So, is that a "dress up" thing? Is there any money in it? Asking for a friend....
You'd be great at it, luci. How do you look in ropes and latex? lots of the first, a little of the second...
Old 03-24-2017, 01:17 AM
Sith Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenophon41 View Post
Hi, disingenuous fucker!
[Moderating]
Don't call other posters "fuckers."

No warning issued.
[/Moderating]
Old 03-24-2017, 02:34 AM

Apparently the SJWs ruined Mass Effect: Andromeda. No, don't ask me how that even attempts to make sense.

...What? If Darren Wilson wants to cherrypick a few inane cases of leftists going off the rails, I think it entirely reasonable to post cases of how people actually use the term "SJW".
Old 03-24-2017, 04:24 AM

Quote:
I have a guess. I guess that most people who revel in finding so-called SJWs being stupid in general think that almost all racism, sexism, and similar isms are either mostly in the past or have never been that big of a deal to start with, so anyone talking about such isms are automatically ludicrous.

And I would guess that most people who think so-called SJWs are not particularly troubling think that there is a ton of ism, that it's pervasive if not omnipresent, that it's a serious issue at times, and that sometimes it's hidden in things that seem rather benign, so someone talking about such isms may be wrong or even silly but not automatically ludicrous.
QFT.
Old 03-24-2017, 07:48 AM

Quote:
You can't blame the libs for this one, octopus.
If you are implying that I am a conservative, you are very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very wrong. To borrow a phrase from Ronald Regan(!) "I didn't leave liberalism, liberalism left me."

I am a liberal, what I am not is an extremist nut. (If you haven't read this article by a liberal professor, it may interest you.)