Old 03-21-2017, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsHund View Post
H. P. Lovecraft's "At The Mountains Of Madness". Though there's faint hope that Guillermo del Toro will try it one more time. From wiki:

I like it that del Toro refused to work in a romance or a happy ending though, that'd be ridiculous. Better not done at all than as a travesty.
I think the Lovecraft spirit could survive a romance, as long as it all ends horribly! Twilight Zone shoe-horned a nascent romance into "Pickman's Model" with acceptable results.

For that matter, "The Shadow Out of Time" could similarly lend itself to a decent big screen treatment. Only, please, no Tom Cruise!
Old 03-21-2017, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Pepperwinkle View Post
Stranger in a Strange Land by Robert A. Heinlein
I hope the TV Series works out. I would love this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mind's Eye, Watering View Post
...Also, The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress.
There have been scripts but production never starts. As the greatest of Sci-Fi books this is well past time to be made finally.

I would also love to see Starship Troopers done, you know for real with power armor and not just in name.
Old 03-21-2017, 05:36 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

I think the Sue Grafton "Alphabet" books would make a great series if they set it in right time period and allowed it to progress the way the books do.
Old 03-21-2017, 05:39 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

As far as "SIASL" is concerned, I'm not sure how much they'll have to add(and cut out) to sustain it as an ongoing series. How long was he on Earth before he became dinner?

Last edited by Czarcasm; 03-21-2017 at 05:39 PM.
Old 03-21-2017, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
As far as "SIASL" is concerned, I'm not sure how much they'll have to add(and cut out) to sustain it as an ongoing series. How long was he on Earth before he became dinner?
The full Stranger that was released by Virginia was an extra 70000 words if I remember correctly. Significantly longer and thus probably more story than you recall from the original 1961 version.

ETA: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strang...nd#Development indicated 60,000 words but significantly longer as 220,000 vs 160,00

Last edited by What Exit?; 03-21-2017 at 05:44 PM.
Old 03-21-2017, 06:03 PM

Manhattan Transfer. No, not by Dos Passos, the sci-fi novel by John Stith. Linky. Optimistic, unlike much sci-fi of late. Probably not properly filmable before CGI, but now I think it could be done justice.
Old 03-21-2017, 06:31 PM

Come to think of it there would be a few of Alan Dean Foster's books that would translate well into movies: Glory Lane, the Humanx series (I'd loooove to see that on screen!), Spellsinger!

For a series, Callahan's Cross Time Saloon or Stainless Steel Rat!

Last edited by swampspruce; 03-21-2017 at 06:31 PM. Reason: I know they aren't all Foster's....
Old 03-21-2017, 06:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mind's Eye, Watering View Post
Why?
Politics would be the major reason. Heinlein's works are often seen as right-wing or libertarian.
Old 03-21-2017, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim R. Mortiss View Post
I think the Lovecraft spirit could survive a romance, as long as it all ends horribly! Twilight Zone shoe-horned a nascent romance into "Pickman's Model" with acceptable results.

For that matter, "The Shadow Out of Time" could similarly lend itself to a decent big screen treatment. Only, please, no Tom Cruise!
Preach it! Tom Cruise+Lovecraftian Universe=doesn't compute. At all.

His probably best story, "The Color Out Of Space", would also make a great movie, if it wasn't unfilmable by premise .
Old 03-21-2017, 06:55 PM

Lately I've been thinking "An American Tragedy" would make an interesting costume drama TV series for HBO or the BBC. The second half has been adapted to the movie "A Place in the Sun" before, but it seems ideally suited for two seasons of TV instead of just cutting out the first half.
Old 03-21-2017, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsHund View Post
Preach it! Tom Cruise+Lovecraftian Universe=doesn't compute. At all.

His probably best story, "The Color Out Of Space", would also make a great movie, if it wasn't unfilmable by premise .
Huh, just checked wiki and that shows what I know: it's been adapted three times for the movies. The latest one, "Die Farbe", pulls if off exactly the way I thought would be the only possible way to be at least approximately true to the story:

SPOILER:
Quote:
It is shot mainly in black and white, the exception being the "Colour" itself.
Old 03-21-2017, 08:14 PM

The Laundry Files series by Charles Stross.
Old 03-21-2017, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampspruce View Post
For a series, Callahan's Cross Time Saloon or the Stainless Steel Rat!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pohjonen View Post
Lucifer's Hammer. That reminds me - time to read it again.
Quote:
The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress.[/I]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim R. Mortiss View Post
I'd love to see a series of movies based on the Retief books. Or even a television series.
Quote:
Just Asking Questions;20082322]Ringworld.

For other classic sci fi with the same issues, there could be movies of

Childhood's End
Rendezvous with Rama
I'm the Stainless Steel Rat and I approve of all of the above. Probably approve of most of the rest, too.

I'd add Eric Flints' "1632" series, probably better as a min-series/series, but West Virginians in 1632 Germany, with Richelieu, Wallenstein, and Gustavus Aldophus could be something good. Supposed to be an English company working on it.

Last edited by The Stainless Steel Rat; 03-21-2017 at 08:51 PM.
Old 03-21-2017, 08:51 PM
Charter Member

Mistborn trilogy from Brandon Sanderson.
Old 03-21-2017, 09:02 PM
Charter Member

John Varley's "Titan" trilogy should be doable now with CGI.
Old 03-21-2017, 09:11 PM

I'm reading Donna Tartt's The Goldfinch which reminds me how much I loved The Secret History. It wouldn't be action-packed, but it could be a good character piece with the right actors and directors. Something arty, but not too far up its own ass.
Old 03-21-2017, 09:28 PM
Shouting Grasshopper

I'd like to see Dream Park by Larry Niven and Steve Barnes get a movie treatment.

Also Tim Power's The Anubis Gates.
Old 03-22-2017, 12:27 AM

Bridge of Birds, by Hughart. Get the people who did Kubo and the Two Strings to do it.

H. P. Lovecraft could be a great source, but you can't take it seriously. Yes the hero confronts his fears, but H. P. Lovecraft was afraid of everything! Foreigners. The countryside. Mold. And nobody's making that sort of comedy these days.
Old 03-22-2017, 02:53 AM
Senior Geek
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmwgreen View Post
Bridge of Birds, by Hughart. Get the people who did Kubo and the Two Strings to do it.

H. P. Lovecraft could be a great source, but you can't take it seriously. Yes the hero confronts his fears, but H. P. Lovecraft was afraid of everything! Foreigners. The countryside. Mold. And nobody's making that sort of comedy these days.
Ooh, I came in here to say "Bridge of Birds"

Stross's Laundry Files pretty much are Lovecraft with humor, and I'd really like to see that done, too.
Old 03-22-2017, 04:05 AM
Charter Member

Dragonlance. Technically a subset of Dungeons and Dragons, there was an animated movie but that is utterly awful. It could easily be a cheese-fest, rather than a serious effort like GoT or LOTR, though maybe that wouldn't matter. We really should have more movies made each year, I miss the over-saturation of classic fantasy movies of the 80s.

I would also like to see The Stainless Steel Rat.

And The Ballad of Halo Jones, which is technically not a book.
Old 03-22-2017, 10:21 AM

Second idea, "Elementary, My Dear Groucho" starring Jon Stewart as Groucho Marx. More timely today than ever.

If you did "Decline and Fall of Practically Everybody" would it use the decline and fall of Will Cuppy as the framing device? Sort of "All That Jazz"? Or maybe with Terry Gilliam directing?
Old 03-22-2017, 11:13 AM

Quote:
I know the usual blah blah blah involves "someone already owns the rights and are sitting on them" crap
Yup. I just found out that's the reason David Jerrold's The Man Who Folded Himself hasn't seen any action. I think this introspective time travel novel with some controversial content could make a really cool indie film or Netflix mini series, especially given how well Orphan Black has done having the same actor multiple times in the same scene, though it might help to star open minded triplets. But despite having three buyers lines up, the same holder keeps renewing but doing nothing with it.

Some other rime travel novels ripe for the making are The Green Futures of Tycho, Replay, and Timefall which is also a rollicking jungle adventure.

At least they finally did By His Bootstraps.
Old 03-22-2017, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZipperJJ View Post
Any of Neal Stephenson's books, especially Snow Crash and The Baroque Cycle.
I think Reamde would be lots of fun, too.

Also, Matthew Kneale's English Passengers and Susan Fromberg Schaeffer's Madness of a Seduced Woman could both be great films.
Old 03-22-2017, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuanoLad View Post
Dragonlance. Technically a subset of Dungeons and Dragons, there was an animated movie but that is utterly awful.
I'm a little surprised that Dragonlance nor the Icewind Dale trilogy never got a proper treatment (that animated DL thing... bleagh) though that terrible generic D&D movie couldn't have helped.

Though if I was picking a Weis-Hickman work for a dream film, I'd go with the Rose of the Prophet trilogy. Not just because I liked the story but, c'mon -- Middle Eastern nomads saving the world with a gay cross-dressing Christian wizard? The internet's head would explode!

Sure, pseudo-Middle Eastern, pseudo-Christian, dressing as a woman under duress, etc. The comments sections and Facebook feeds care not for petty details....
Old 03-22-2017, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdavinci View Post

At least they finally did By His Bootstraps.
When? What format?
Old 03-22-2017, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by What Exit? View Post
When? What format?
I think he's mistakenly recalling the 2014 film Predestination, which is based on Heinlein's All you Zombies...", his other famous time-loop story.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Predestination_(film)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2397535/

It's a pretty good film, worth the watching, although not strictly completely faithful to the story.
Old 03-22-2017, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Ariel by Steven R Boyett- It has Post Apocalyptic landscapes, a unicorn with an utterly foul mouth and a peppermint candy fetish, a boyish hero who means well, Japanese swordsmanship, and some really kick ass villains. Plus magic.
I'll second this one- I absolutely love Ariel. Did you ever read The Architect of Sleep, by the same author? Even though it's the first in a never-to-be-finished series, it's still one of my favorite books.

I'd love to see Jumper by Steven Gould be made into a movie. I heard rumors that a movie was made several years ago, but it clearly had to be based on some other book with the same title, 'cause that ain't no Jumper I've ever read.
Old 03-22-2017, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by howye View Post
Childhood's End was done as a miniseries by SyFy in 2015. I found it to be ...acceptable. There were changes but there simply had to be for the story to work. The overall plot was kept.
"Acceptable" is about as far as I'd go. Excellent production values but speaking as someone who hadn't gotten around to reading the book there was a lot of pointlessness and a lot of questions left unanswered. Deeply disappointing.

Both A Confederacy of Dunces and Dream Park (and sequels) by all reports appear to be perpetually tied up in rights wrangling and development hell. The former could still make a decent movie (you'd probably have to cut the side story about the gay characters for time), but the current economics of Amazon/HBO/Netflix etc miniseries would probably suit Dream Park better than a film. Certainly special effects are more than good enough to make it work. You'd have to get some competent writers in to tidy up the sloppiness in the writing, but it shouldn't be too hard.

I'm still hoping to see Philip Reeve's Mortal Engines Quartet books on big screen at some point (although they'd probably have to change it to Infernal Devices to avoid confusion with the "Mortal Instruments" gumph). I mean, come on - entire cities on wheels, chasing each other around a post-apocalyptic landscape? Who doesn't want to see that?

Also from Reeve: I want to see Here Lies Arthur, although that's more a BBC TV miniseries than a film.

Last edited by Gyrate; 03-22-2017 at 12:40 PM.
Old 03-22-2017, 12:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmwgreen View Post
Yes, or the Chinese.
Old 03-22-2017, 02:04 PM

I love to see the Dark Elf books get some love, but only if it was given the proper treatment. Hey HBO, now that Game of Thrones is drawing to an end...
Old 03-22-2017, 04:34 PM
Charter Member

For Heinlein, I would go with The Rolling Stones. I think you could do that on a relatively modest budget.

Zelazny's Lord of Light.

Moorcock's "eternal champion". I would like to see Elric on the big screen, but some of the other incarnations would be cool also.

Poul Anderson's Fire Time.

How about some "hollow earth" stories? Burrough's Pellucidar, or Grell's Warlord.

I would like to see some of the old matinee serials re-made as big-budget HBO series. Buck Rogers, Flash Gordon, Undersea Kingdom, The Phantom Empire.

We are long overdue for re-makes of Beau Geste, The Prisoner of Zenda, and Arsenic and Old Lace.

I want to see a movie in which Fu Manchu is a humble Ch'ing Dynasty civil servant, saving the world from the diabolical mad scientists, Nayland Smith and Dr. Petrie.
Old 03-22-2017, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbh View Post
For Heinlein, I would go with The Rolling Stones. I think you could do that on a relatively modest budget.
Funny thing is people would complain they were knocking off tribbles with the flat cats.
Old 03-22-2017, 04:44 PM

I'd like to see The Rook as a movie.

Plus, The Golem and the Jinni.
Old 03-22-2017, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Hamsandwich View Post
For my money, I'm betting that The Eyes of the Dragon would make a great flick.
Totally agree with the above.

I've always thought Shantaram would make a great movie.
But has anyone other than me even read that book?
Old 03-22-2017, 07:56 PM

I know The Fountainhead has already been made into a movie (in 1949), but IMO it sucked. I think it's a great story, and would love it if a competent & talented filmmaker would remake it.
Old 03-22-2017, 08:37 PM
Charter Member

I'll put in another vote for Starship Troopers. Yes, I acknowledge the existence of the Verhooeven flick, but that's irrelevant, since it was not in any sense whatsoever "the book made into a movie". I mean, we're talking about a director who's actually proud that he never read the book, because he wanted to avoid all influence from it.
Old 03-22-2017, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Come to think of it there would be a few of Alan Dean Foster's books that would translate well into movies: Glory Lane, the Humanx series (I'd loooove to see that on screen!), Spellsinger!

For a series, Callahan's Cross Time Saloon or Stainless Steel Rat!
yes ! could see those being acceptable tv series ....

Mine is : metrophage ..... I had this thought out as a cgi/anime type of series ... hell I even had brando playing/voicing conover

And the alienist.... I know they were going to do it at one time because I seen the coming soon preview .......but never heard about it again
What I wondered about was how they were going to handle the squicky underage male prostitution angle ........
Old 03-23-2017, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbh View Post
We are long overdue for re-makes of Beau Geste, The Prisoner of Zenda, and Arsenic and Old Lace.
I think Marty Feldman hammered a stake through the heart of the first one (or at least I hope so). Zenda would probably end up as one of those horrible all-action, no-plot eye-candy films (see: every version of "Man in the Iron Mask" ever) with the princess transformed into an emancipated sword-fighting daredevil. And while I wouldn't mind an AaOL revival I'm not convinced that farce is commercial enough for cinema these days - odds are you'd just end up with another Oscar. Plus, who gets Taft jokes anymore?

I occasionally wonder if Brian Daley's Fitzhugh and Floyt books would work for television - they're too light for full-scale film but as a semi-whimsical series there's something there, and the characters are certainly engaging.
Old 03-23-2017, 09:09 AM

Hard Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World.
Old 03-23-2017, 10:33 AM

There are a lot of votes for Lovecraft. There have been a lot of abysmal Lovecraft adaptations over the years, but recently there have been some very good ones -- The Call of Cthulhu, The Whisperer in Darkness, The Colour out of Space.

I know they've been done, but I've been very disappointed in the adaptations I've seen of The Case of Charles Dexter Ward and The Shadow Over Innsmouth, and think you could really do a great job with either of those. And I'm certain that, between better writing and the use of CGI, you could do an infinitely better job of The Dunwich Horror than either of the versions that had Dean Stockwell in them.

But I don't think At the Mountains of Madness would make a great flick, for various reasons. One would be that people would think you were ripping off The Thing, when, ironically, it's probably the other way around.
Old 03-23-2017, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightnin' View Post
I'll second this one- I absolutely love Ariel. Did you ever read The Architect of Sleep, by the same author? Even though it's the first in a never-to-be-finished series, it's still one of my favorite books.

I'd love to see Jumper by Steven Gould be made into a movie. I heard rumors that a movie was made several years ago, but it clearly had to be based on some other book with the same title, 'cause that ain't no Jumper I've ever read.
I ordered AoS as soon as it came out and only just found out there's a sequel to Ariel and two other books Boyett has written (They should be in my hot little hands next week! ). I never really considered it as movie worthy but with what was before Avatar, sentient raccoons would be a relative cakewalk.

Arsenic and Old Lace ( I loved the black and white version) I could see being rewritten as a more modern take; the Same with Confederacy of Dunces. I only read it last year and I'm thinking Josh McDermitt would have the chops to pull of the lead.

Some fantastic selections thus far and a few I never would have thought of, Paradise Lost comes to mind. Keep them coming and maybe someone forward this list to Scott, Spielberg or Howard for future consideration? Ooh, and Lovecraft! And maybe Lord Dunsany for good measure!

Last edited by swampspruce; 03-23-2017 at 10:48 AM.
Old 03-23-2017, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZipperJJ View Post
Any of Neal Stephenson's books, especially Snow Crash and The Baroque Cycle.
You've got a typo there. You meant Snow Crash and Cryptonomicon.
Old 03-23-2017, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftg View Post
You've got a typo there. You meant Snow Crash and Cryptonomicon.
If it ain't Baroque, don't fix it.
Old 03-23-2017, 01:19 PM

I suspect something good could come of an adaptation of Norstrilia, if it were not to end up over-produced.
Old 03-23-2017, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pohjonen View Post
Lucifer's Hammer. That reminds me - time to read it again.
Another Pournelle/Niven vehicle: Footfall.

TBH, I'd mostly watch it for the CGI. And also, I'd secretly enjoy watching certain sectors of culture go batshit over the launch of the Michael.
Old 03-23-2017, 04:39 PM
Charter Member

Be honest: You're really just hoping to see paragliding elephants in pink foam shoes.
Old 03-23-2017, 10:02 PM
Whatcha gonna do?
Charter Member

Good Omens (though I hear they're already making this).

The Dresden Files series (which I think would work better as a series of movies than the horrible TV show they already made).
Old 03-23-2017, 11:47 PM

The Face and The Taking both by Dean Koontz could make excellent movies. The Face is suspenseful, and The Taking is a very weird horror novel.

The Mediator series by Meg Cabot could be an awesome TV show. It's about a girl who escorts ghosts to the afterlife...and kicks their butts if they refuse to go peacefully. Then she falls for one of the ghosts...

I've also thought that the Hollows/Rachel Morgan series by Kim Harrison would make a good series too, and I honestly think that if Being Human hadn't existed, it already would be. Stop me if you've heard this one, but after a tomato-borne illness causes a lot of human deaths a witch, a living vampire, a huge pixie family, and a teenage gargoyle move into a haunted church...and have run-ins with demons, witches-gone-bad and (very much endangered) elves.

And then, in the vein of The Dresden Files, there's the October Daye series by Seanan McGuire. Very fun dark urban fantasy that begins with the main character recovering from having been transformed into a koi for 14 years.
Old 03-23-2017, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeWinder View Post
Startide Rising. Another space opera that couldn't be done until recently (dolphins make up a fair chunk of the character base), but would translate fantastically to the screen.
Another vote for Startide Rising.

Also, has anyone attempted A Canticle for Liebowitz? And if not, why not?
Old 03-24-2017, 12:17 AM

Were "Warday" or "Forever War" mentioned yet?