Old 03-24-2017, 12:24 AM

I thought of one, and being uncertain, I looked up Joyce on the imdb, to see if it had been done. They listed a 2000 Danish effort called The Wake. Seven hours and forty two minutes long. Silent. That must be pretty breathtaking. Or maybe just unendurable.
Advertisements  
Old 03-24-2017, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalMeacham View Post
<snip>

I'd like to see a decent movie made out of Mark Twain's A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court. Every adaptation I've seen is either a vehicle for the Star At The Time (Will Rogers, Bing Crosby) or changes the novel so completely that you don't recognize it (PBS, of all groups, various kid's adaptations, lots of popular movies ostensibly based on it). Dammit, Twain's highly comic and dramatic scenes -- the Destruction of Merlin's Tower, the Restoration of the Holy Fountain, the Charge of the Knights on Bicycles -- deserve to be put on screen.

<Snip>
Actually, I thought Wishbone pulled it off pretty well....

The ones I'd like to see are best delt with as SciFy Channel miniseries

StarRigger/Red Limit Freeway/Paradox Alley by John DeChancie
Terms of Enlistment series by Marko Kloos
Old 03-24-2017, 09:16 AM

I read this and immediately thought that Morgan Freeman or David Attenborough would be the perfect narrator for the Centuries.
http://the-toast.net/2013/08/08/slig...for-leibowitz/
This is the quote referenced, tell me who you hear reading it in voice-over.

"We are the centuries… We have your eoliths and your mesoliths and your neoliths. We have your Babylons and your Pompeiis, your Caesars and your chromium-plated (vital-ingredient impregnated) artifacts. We have your bloody hatchets and your Hiroshimas. We march in spite of Hell, we do – Atrophy, Entropy, and Proteus vulgaris, telling bawdy jokes about a farm girl name of Eve and a traveling salesman called Lucifer. We bury your dead and their reputations. We bury you. We are the centuries. Be born then, gasp wind, screech at the surgeon’s slap, seek manhood, taste a little godhood, feel pain, give birth, struggle a little while, succumb: (Dying, leave quietly by the rear exit, please.) Generation, regeneration, again, again, as in a ritual, with blood-stained vestments and nail-torn hands, children of Merlin, chasing a gleam. Children, too, of Eve, forever building Edens – and kicking them apart in berserk fury because somehow it isn’t the same. (AGH! AGH! AGH! – an idiot screams his mindless anguish amid the rubble. But quickly! let it be inundated by the choir, chanting Alleluias at ninety decibels.)"
Old 03-24-2017, 09:24 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4d3fect View Post
Also, has anyone attempted A Canticle for Liebowitz? And if not, why not?
Twice for radio, and once for television.
Old 03-24-2017, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txjim View Post
Actually, I thought Wishbone pulled it off pretty well....
Ah, yes. When I want to see a really good adaptation of my favorite literature, I like to see it performed with a Jack Russell terrier in the lead role. I still fondly recall Wishbone in A Man for All Seasons.

His rendition of Dysart in Equus was technically good, but I kept being afraid that the horses would step on him.
Old 03-24-2017, 10:33 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Rumor has it that, if they had gone on to do one more season, Wishbone would have done Caligula.
Old 03-24-2017, 10:40 AM
Charter Member

Nonsense.

It was to be I, Claudius
The opinions expressed here are my own, and do not represent any other persons, organizations, spirits, thinking machines, hive minds or other sentient beings on this world or any adjacent dimensions in the multiverse.
Old 03-24-2017, 10:40 AM

Kem Nunns "surf noir"...Tapping the Source, Dogs of Winter....they tried before and it ended up as Point Break although he wasn't directly involved.
(he ended up writing John from Cincinnati, which i guess was horrible. He also wrote screenplays for Sons of Anarchy, which I wasn't interested in, but seemed to do well.)

another vote for William S. Gibsons first 3 books, quite visual.
And Stevensons Snow Crash etc....although IMHO his later stuff after Crytononimicon was so wordy and weird I had a hard time reading it and abandoned him....
Old 03-24-2017, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Section Maker:Jupe View Post
Kem Nunns "surf noir"...Tapping the Source, Dogs of Winter....they tried before and it ended up as Point Break although he wasn't directly involved.
(he ended up writing John from Cincinnati, which i guess was horrible. He also wrote screenplays for Sons of Anarchy, which I wasn't interested in, but seemed to do well.)

another vote for William S. Gibsons first 3 books, quite visual.
I'm going to be semi-onboard and counter-propose his Bridge trilogy. That's a universe that's closer to what we may recognize, and a bit more externalized (less cyberspace stuff, so overdone). And IMHO, the stories are a little more compelling.
Old 03-24-2017, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampspruce View Post
I read this and immediately thought that Morgan Freeman or David Attenborough would be the perfect narrator for the Centuries.
http://the-toast.net/2013/08/08/slig...for-leibowitz/

...snip...
Someone British. Bill Nighy?
Old 03-24-2017, 10:15 PM

Quote:
I think he's mistakenly recalling the 2014 film Predestination, which is based on Heinlein's All you Zombies...", his other famous time-loop story.
Ah yes always mix those two up.
Old 03-25-2017, 12:26 AM

Geek Love by Katherine Dunn would make a great movie or TV series. Same with The Elementals by Michael McDowell.

I'd love to see a big-screen/small-screen adaptation of Johannes Cabal the Necromancer.
Old 03-25-2017, 12:27 AM
Senior Geek
Charter Member

The Paper Grail by James Blaylock

Has Good Omens been mentioned?

Scalzi's Old Man's War.
Old 03-25-2017, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmwgreen View Post
Someone British. Bill Nighy?
Damn. I just found audio of Robert Carlyle reading from some part of Canticle. Very unsettling. He needs to stick to his native accent.
Old 03-25-2017, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
Thanks, I saw that, but forgot to mention I was thinking rather about a modern film adaptation. My bad.
Old 03-25-2017, 09:16 AM
Charter Member

Try reading Baking Cakes in Kigali and not picture a movie starring Whoopi Goldberg.
Old 03-25-2017, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pohjonen View Post
Lucifer's Hammer. That reminds me - time to read it again.
I want this so bad just for the scene where the surfer smacks into a skyscraper.
Old 03-25-2017, 02:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eulalia View Post
The Paper Grail by James Blaylock

Has Good Omens been mentioned?
Good choice.

Production Hell:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Good_Omens
Old 03-25-2017, 03:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Quoth swampspruce:

Freeman and Attenborough are both great narrators, of course... but to me, that monologue is totally Cate Blanchett.
Old 03-25-2017, 07:05 PM

Judy Dench?
Old 03-26-2017, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDeth View Post
Good choice.

Production Hell:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Good_Omens
Gawd, I hope the Amazon thing follows through, I love that book!

Interesting (and brilliant!) choices on the narrator I mentioned above, Cate Blanchett is genius! Is it weird that I re-read the passage in my head with Cate, Bill, Dame Judyand ironically enough, Billy Connolly?

Last edited by swampspruce; 03-26-2017 at 08:31 PM. Reason: Punctuation matters.
Old 03-26-2017, 09:23 PM

"The Tomb", by F. Paul Wilson
Asimov's "Foundation" series.
Old 03-27-2017, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampspruce View Post
Gawd, I hope the Amazon thing follows through, I love that book!
On the plus side, American Gods is finally due to launch next month IIRC so sometimes these things do happen.
Old 03-27-2017, 09:03 AM

Looks like good casting choices, overall! Not sure about Cristin Chenowith as Easter, though.
Old 03-27-2017, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mind's Eye, Watering View Post
Second Neuromancer.

Also, The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress.
Both of these, please!
Old 03-27-2017, 10:53 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

I think Heinlein's Time For The Stars would be a great film-much easier to grok than his more political works.
Old 03-27-2017, 10:53 AM

The Guns of the South by Harry Turtledove. Or any of his alternative history series.
Old 03-27-2017, 11:32 AM

A lot of good ideas here, though mostly focused on sci-fi.
Personally, I would never wish for a book I have read and enjoyed to be made into a movie. They always (for reasons good/necessary/mostly bad) manage to screw up the story I think I read. I walk away from the theater mostly disappointed thinking "No, that's now how it was supposed to be".
Plenty of books I haven't read for them to make good movies out of. Then I will be non the wiser about how they twisted the story.
Old 03-27-2017, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by What Exit? View Post
Funny thing is people would complain they were knocking off tribbles with the flat cats.
Other way around, actually.

David Gerrold wrote The Trouble With Tribbles, and only recalled the flatcat story from Rolling Stones afterward. He realized that was where he got the idea, having read it earlier. Heinlein had no problems with it.

In fact, they became friends.
Old 03-27-2017, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnoitall View Post
Another Pournelle/Niven vehicle: Footfall.

TBH, I'd mostly watch it for the CGI. And also, I'd secretly enjoy watching certain sectors of culture go batshit over the launch of the Michael.
"God was knocking, and he wanted in bad"
Old 03-27-2017, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StGermain View Post
The Vorkosigan Saga. Or Bujold's The Curse of Chalion.

StG
The top of my personal list is "Falling Free", which is part of the Vorkosigan universe, from before Miles' time.

CGI has matured to the point of being able to pull it off.

And use the Tom Smith song about it as the theme music.
Old 03-27-2017, 02:07 PM

I second H. P. Lovecraft. If the production would skip trying for shock value and look for suspense and dread.

I would like to see Dean Koontz's "Odd Thomas" series made into moview. There was one movie and it was good. Unfortunately it also starred the too soon departed Anton Yelchin.

I would also like to see Jack L. Chalker's "Well World" series made into movies, but I could see it treated more properly as a mini-series.
Old 03-27-2017, 02:15 PM

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/82306.Flood Flood, by Andrew Vachss: I never could figure out why it wasn't immediately snapped up by Hollywood. Multicultural group of friends. Kick-ass female martial artist. Revenge plot. There's even a smart dog.
Old 03-27-2017, 04:17 PM
Charter Member

I know there was an anime version of The Lensman series, but it didn't really have much to do with the actual books. After the success of Star Wars I'm surprised no one's thought of this.
Old 03-27-2017, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stainless Steel Rat View Post
I'd add Eric Flints' "1632" series, probably better as a min-series/series, but West Virginians in 1632 Germany, with Richelieu, Wallenstein, and Gustavus Aldophus could be something good. Supposed to be an English company working on it.
I'd like to see that book come to life on film!

I'd also like to see W.E.B. Griffin's Badge of Honor series become tv or film movies. Just keep junior away from the projects!
Old 03-28-2017, 10:21 AM

There have been a lot of great suggestions and as a bonus I now have a pretty good list of books to keep me occupied during the summer!

I just finished one of David Egger's books- Your Fathers, Where Are They? And the Prophets, Do They Live Forever? which would make a really good psychological thriller.
Old 03-28-2017, 11:33 AM

The Coldfire Trilogy by CS Friedman. This series is fantastic despite falling off a bit in the last book. Angela Bassett as Ciana, Jason Isaacs for Gerald Tarrant (that snarky magnificent bastard). Casting Vryce is hard for me, physical imposing, weather-beaten, but still kind and caring.

Even though the world is kind of steampunk/magical most of the effects could be done practically. Plus, it has a LOT of moral ambiguity for a story that's nearly thirty years old now.

Armor - John Steakley. Would be a DREAM for me, power-armored disposable soldiers versus nine-foot antlike monsters on an impossible desert planet.

It's like Pork Chop Hill, Shane and Unforgiven all got together and had a baby. A beautiful twisted baby.
Old 03-28-2017, 11:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacLir View Post
Other way around, actually.

David Gerrold wrote The Trouble With Tribbles, and only recalled the flatcat story from Rolling Stones afterward. He realized that was where he got the idea, having read it earlier. Heinlein had no problems with it.

In fact, they became friends.
Yes, we were selling tribbles at our booth at a Con, and Gerrold came by and told us we had to stop selling them. So I quickly changed the cards to "Martian flat cat'. When Gerrold came by with a Con staffer in tow, he read the sign, his face got red and he stalked off. The staffer thought it was hilarious.
Old 03-28-2017, 11:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thuringwethil View Post
The Guns of the South by Harry Turtledove. Or any of his alternative history series.
One of his worst actually.
Old 03-28-2017, 11:55 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Yes, we were selling tribbles at our booth at a Con, and Gerrold came by and told us we had to stop selling them. So I quickly changed the cards to "Martian flat cat'. When Gerrold came by with a Con staffer in tow, he read the sign, his face got red and he stalked off. The staffer thought it was hilarious.
Riight. You don't think the man who owns the rights to their name and likeness might be a bit upset because of all the dealers that were ripping him off? By the way, how much did you pay the Heinlein estate for the right to sell "flat cats"?

Last edited by Czarcasm; 03-28-2017 at 11:56 AM.
Old 03-28-2017, 12:22 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

BTW, any/all the cons I have participated in and/or attended have had strict rules against selling unauthorized merchandise, and will boot dealers that attempt tricks like the one you pulled.
Old 03-28-2017, 01:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Riight. You don't think the man who owns the rights to their name and likeness might be a bit upset because of all the dealers that were ripping him off? By the way, how much did you pay the Heinlein estate for the right to sell "flat cats"?
None, they didnt ask for any.

You know, you have a handful of unemployed college students making a hundred bucks selling their handcrafts over a con weekend to support their fandom, and you're talking "rip off", right?

The girls made the money, i didnt make a dime from the tribble/flat cats.
Old 03-28-2017, 01:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
BTW, any/all the cons I have participated in and/or attended have had strict rules against selling unauthorized merchandise, and will boot dealers that attempt tricks like the one you pulled.
Not at a fan run con in the 1970's they didnt.
Old 03-28-2017, 01:58 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Not at a fan run con in the 1970's they didnt.
Not for profit fan-run cons are the only ones I have ever gone to since the 70's-it's no excuse for copyright infringement, and neither is "they didn't ask for anything".
Old 03-28-2017, 04:32 PM

Possibly not a feature film, but more an American version of BBC's "Mystery." The one I was thinking about is the delightful series of mysteries featuring,"Mr and Mrs. North."They are pretty much set in the '50s (and written during them too by the Lockridges). It's sort of "I Love Lucy" meets "Madmen" and Nick and Nora Charles with George Burns and Gracie Allen thrown in for good measure.

I have no idea who could pull off the characters, especially the wife, but I would love to see the attempt. Maybe Brad Pitt and Jennifer Aniston could get back together.
Old 03-28-2017, 04:35 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

I'd like to see "The Saint" done right as a period piece.
Old 03-28-2017, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pohjonen View Post
Lucifer's Hammer. That reminds me - time to read it again.
Okay, with or without the jive-talking cannibals?
Old 03-28-2017, 07:47 PM

Imajica by Clive Barker would make a good series.
Old 03-28-2017, 08:40 PM

Ellen Raskin wrote two children's books that are literary powerhouses. One, a Newbery winner was made into one of the crappiest films of all time, but it was such a departure from the book, that it's almost fair to say that no one has truly made a film of the book. I'd like to see a mini-series of The Westing Game. There's too much material for a film. Also, it needs to be set in the 70s, not "updated." It's too bad no one made it while the late, great Jerry Orbach was alive, because there’s a perfect role for him. The Westing Game I’d like to see as hour-long episodes with approximately two chapters per episode. It could easily play out in a season that way.

Raskins equally good, but a little scarier (which is maybe why it didn’t win an award) is The Tattooed Potato: and other clues. It would also only work if it were set in the 70s, the time it was written in.
Last, I’d like to see a really creative production of The daughter of Time Obviously, you can’t just have voice-overs for everything. When Grant reads The Rose of Raby, or Brent reports Stillington’s announcement to the council, it would need to be dramatized, and good transitions that made it easy for the viewer to follow. But I can see lots of opportunities for opening up the book, while still communicating the “prickles of boredom” that Grant initially felt which got him on the journey in the first place.
Old 03-28-2017, 11:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
(Just stat away from the damned Agent Pendergast books)
Heh. I have my own opinion ("If I may indulge in this '71 Château Pétrus for a moment...Meacham, eh? I loved your treatise on replacing electronic condensers with interocitors! It is an honor, sir!" :murmurs some Chongg Ran: but would love to hear what you bugs you about him.