Old 03-31-2017, 06:16 AM

Thackeray's "Vanity Fair" has been filmed many times (in very abridged form), but I think my second-favourite book of his would make a good costume drama TV series: "The Newcomes". The main characters (Clive and Ethel) have a long "will they or won't they" relationship that seems naturally fitted for a TV show.
Old 03-31-2017, 03:08 PM

Zelazny's Chronicles of Amber coming to TV!?!

Since I first read it in high school (1970's), I've always thought Zelazny's brilliant, cinematic descriptions of shadow-walking would be awesome on screen - if they could ever develop the SFX to do it. Well, we're there.

And in fact, I just found out that "The Walking Dead" creator Robert Kirkman agrees. He now owns the rights to the series, and is developing it for TV, a la "Game of Thrones" - throne hungry siblings, battling kingdoms, magic, existential quests... it's all there (and in fact Zelazny and GRRM were friends).
http://www.theverge.com/2016/7/20/12...rkman-skybound
Old 04-01-2017, 08:54 PM

How about Heinlein's Glory Road?

Universal empire with an Empress, spaceships, swords, trolls, sorcery, nudity, what more could you wish for?

Another vote for The Moon is a Harsh Mistress.
Old 04-03-2017, 10:54 AM

I'm a huge Heinlein fan and and the above mentioned are certainly worthy of the Hollywood (in a good way) treatment. One that hasn't been mentioned is Podkayne of Mars, which I think would make a good movie even if the ending is a little hard. Subterfuge, espionage, young love, drama, spaceships and cute animals. A little bit for everyone.
Old 04-03-2017, 10:55 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampspruce View Post
I'm a huge Heinlein fan and and the above mentioned are certainly worthy of the Hollywood (in a good way) treatment. One that hasn't been mentioned is Podkayne of Mars, which I think would make a good movie even if the ending is a little hard. Subterfuge, espionage, young love, drama, spaceships and cute animals. A little bit for everyone.
Would you want the original ending, or the final one?
Old 04-03-2017, 05:49 PM

I have the Baen version of the book that had both endings and I thought the original ending Heinlein envisioned would have more emotional impact but everyone likes a happy ending (so I've heard...).
Old 04-05-2017, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeWinder View Post
Startide Rising. Another space opera that couldn't be done until recently (dolphins make up a fair chunk of the character base), but would translate fantastically to the screen.
Yay! Startide Rising! The Uplift War would be easier to do and it would be more accessible, but I love the dolphin book.
Old 04-05-2017, 04:58 PM

Ready Player One is in post production, due out next year, in 2018. I'm looking forward to that, but I guess seven years is not a long time to wait.

Regarding Ringworld, I just love the stories with Protectors, so I might jump forward one book to Ringworld Engineers (or pull as Steve Jackson).

Speaking of Niven, I wonder if Crashlander (the collected Beowulf Schaeffer stories) could yield a few stories to link together for a movie? Also, Lucifer's Hammer has been mentioned upthread, and I agree that it is absolutely worth doing, especially now that we are years after Deep Impact.