Old 03-29-2017, 09:47 PM

Why don't we hear about artificial sweetener acesulfame potassium?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acesulfame_potassium

This was first approved for "tabletop use" in the US in 1988--the Wiki article doesn't say if it was used a a food ingredient before that. Presumably so.

In the 1980s, all you ever heard about was Nutrasweet (aspartame), and then in the 90s (well, 1999) finally you started to hear about Splenda.

Acesulfame potassium? It was actually a TIL for me. I'd never heard about it in any context.

My question is why? What's the straight dope on this art-swee, and why has it never become as prominent as its fake-o brethren?

Thanks!
Advertisements  
Old 03-29-2017, 09:54 PM

I think I remember that the sugar free version of red bull has this.
Old 03-29-2017, 10:01 PM

I could be wrong here but I seem to remember acesulfame K, by which it is commonly known, is an artifical sweetener that is usually combined with other artifically sweeteners as a sort of intensifier (that may be the wrong term here but I'm drawing a blank). So it may not get as much publicity or scrutiny because it's not usually the main or only artificial sweetener used.
Old 03-30-2017, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambivalid View Post
I could be wrong here but I seem to remember acesulfame K, by which it is commonly known, is an artifical sweetener that is usually combined with other artifically sweeteners as a sort of intensifier (that may be the wrong term here but I'm drawing a blank). So it may not get as much publicity or scrutiny because it's not usually the main or only artificial sweetener used.
Actually, it's more commonly known as Ace-K, which I've known about and remember because it sounds sort of like Ice-T's obscure cousin.
Old 03-30-2017, 12:49 AM

Maybe because the fashion is to push stevia or sucralose, as more natural ...

well stevia is a plant extract.
sucralose is sucrose with Cl replacing some OH.. Which makes it taste 1000 times as sweet.
And well they give it a nice sounding name, sucralose, so it might be assumed to be a natural sugar like fructose or glucose or sucrose.

Because names tell you how dangerous something is.

Thats why they don't put this name on for sucrose...

(a standardised name of the structure .. ) (2R,3R,4S,5S,6R)-2-[(2S,3S,4S,5R)-3,4-Dihydroxy-2,5-bis(hydroxymethyl)oxapent-2-yl]oxy-6-(hydroxymethyl)oxahexane-3,4,5-triol

Last edited by Isilder; 03-30-2017 at 12:50 AM.
Old 03-30-2017, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by voltaire View Post
Actually, it's more commonly known as Ace-K, which I've known about and remember because it sounds sort of like Ice-T's obscure cousin.
Or Japanese pitcher Daisuke Matsuzaka, who was known as "Dice-K" when he pitched for the Red Sox.
Old 03-30-2017, 03:14 AM

what were we supposed to hear about it?
Old 03-30-2017, 06:45 AM
Charter Member

If the stuff is loud enough to hear, I don't want it on my food.
Old 03-30-2017, 06:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by am77494 View Post
I think I remember that the sugar free version of red bull has this.
It's used in a lot of stuff. Coke Zero is a mix of aspartame and ace K, for example. I just looked at the ingredients of the Walmart Great Value brand diet lemon-lime soda product, and it's the same: aspartame & ace K. Minute Maid light lemonade, too. Etc.

It's a good question, though. I've long been aware of ace-K, as it mixed with aspartame is my favorite sugar substitute (and the one I find most convincing), but I've never heard it marketed along the lines of Nutrasweet/aspartame, Splenda/sucralose, or stevia (yuck.) I've also never seen ace-K used on its own, but always paired with another artificial sweetener, usually aspartame, but I'm pretty sure I've seen it paired with sucralose, too.
Old 03-30-2017, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
... I've long been aware of ace-K, as it mixed with aspartame is my favorite sugar substitute (and the one I find most convincing) ... I've also never seen ace-K used on its own, but always paired with another artificial sweetener, usually aspartame, but I'm pretty sure I've seen it paired with sucralose, too.
The pairing is the key. I don't remember the details but IIRC the idea in pairing aspartame and acesulfame K in Coke Zero (and in other products, and similar pairings) is that one of them tends to create a blast of sweetness that then tapers off into a bitter aftertaste while the other acts more slowly and balances the effects of the first, producing a close simulation of natural sugar. And it works.
Old 03-30-2017, 07:21 AM

The only thing I remember hearing about it was in a recent study where it was used as a marker to determine how many people were peeing in the pool.
Old 03-30-2017, 07:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpup View Post
The pairing is the key. I don't remember the details but IIRC the idea in pairing aspartame and acesulfame K in Coke Zero (and in other products, and similar pairings) is that one of them tends to create a blast of sweetness that then tapers off into a bitter aftertaste while the other acts more slowly and balances the effects of the first, producing a close simulation of natural sugar. And it works.
That was my understanding of it, too, that the ace K takes the edge off Nutrasweet. Or that they have a symbiotic effect on each other, mellowing each other's bad points.
Old 03-30-2017, 06:00 PM

Cool, thanks for the input, guys!
Old 03-31-2017, 11:25 AM
Charter Member

Just to add to the data points, I just bought some Diet Pepsi, and it is sucralose and ace k. When did this happen? I swear it was nutrasweet back in the day.
Old 03-31-2017, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
The only thing I remember hearing about it was in a recent study where it was used as a marker to determine how many people were peeing in the pool.
No need for markers. There are two type of people, those who pee in the pool and those who lie about peeing in the pool.
Old 03-31-2017, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Just to add to the data points, I just bought some Diet Pepsi, and it is sucralose and ace k. When did this happen? I swear it was nutrasweet back in the day.
It is. And Pepsi even makes an "classic sweetener" version of Diet Pepsi.

While the "regular" stuff has silver labeling, the "classic sweetener" sort has sky-blue labeling.

Apparently it has to do with some consumers wanting no aspartame, and others thinking the new stuff sucks.
(link also has photos of both sorts of cans)

Last edited by bump; 03-31-2017 at 04:43 PM.
Old 03-31-2017, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Diet Pepsi replaced aspartame with sucralose a year or two ago because... reasons. Pseudoscience "chemicals are bad" nonsense, really. Diet Coke still uses aspartame and tastes better for it.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
Old 03-31-2017, 05:03 PM

Huh, the Diet Mtn Dew I drank today is... Aspartame, Ace-K, AND sucralose.
Old 04-01-2017, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Si Amigo View Post
No need for markers. There are two type of people, those who pee in the pool and those who lie about peeing in the pool.
No.

Maybe I'm the only one, but I get out of the ocean to pee.
Old 04-01-2017, 01:47 PM

Just can't get the same feeling of warmth running down your legs while you're still in the water?
Old 04-01-2017, 03:12 PM

Aspartame is prohibited for people who have to restrict their consumption of the amino acid phenylalanine, like those with PKU or pregnant women who have the gene. It's toxic to them; acesulfame is not an issue for them.