Old 04-03-2017, 02:04 PM
Charter Member

My parents knew a guy who was a health food fanatic. But he did have a fondness for ginger snap cookies. However, he could never find any that were as good as his mother used to make. My mother took this as a challenge, and tried every recipe she could find, but without success.

My father mentioned that his aunt had always made the best ginger snaps he knew. Mom called the aunt. "Oh, I just use the recipe in the Betty Crocker cookbook, but instead of shortening, I use bacon grease."

Mom tried it, and the friend said that these tasted just like his mom's cookies! He asked what was the secret? Mom smiled and said, "You don't want to know."
Old 04-03-2017, 02:06 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Bacon grease is good for home-made french fries, eggs, pancakes, and liver and onions.
Old 04-03-2017, 02:57 PM

I save my bacon grease and use it to brown the diced meat and onions when I'm making chili.

Adds a nice subtle smokiness to your chili. Since I'm usually using venison for chili, it also helps add a bit of fat to a super lean meat.
Old 04-03-2017, 03:12 PM

My parents grew up during WWII so I'm sure that was a thing back then. We always had a small coffee can of bacon grease in the fridge. I think it was used mostly for eggs and burgers.

I remember being so disappointed the first time I had over-easy eggs at a restaurant and they didn't look like what we called "dirty eggs"!! Our eggs at home cooked in bacon grease (where the grease was actually spooned over the egg to cook the top!) were always covered in little specks from the bacon grease.
Old 04-03-2017, 03:16 PM

Bacon grease makes everything better. I put it my biscuit batter. I saute my veggies in it. I put in my soups, which are magnificent.
Old 04-03-2017, 03:24 PM

Our church serves breakfast at Thanksgiving each year and there's a lot of bacon grease left over. One of the elders of our church would ask us to save it; he took it home, mixed it with bird seed, and put it out for the birds in the winter.
Old 04-03-2017, 07:09 PM

It's good for frying bacon, too.

No, really!

Sometimes a given pound of bacon is just a little too lean for its own good, and won't fry up properly. A few healthy dollops of bacon grease and Bob's Yer Uncle.
Old 04-04-2017, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Common Tater View Post

No, really!

Sometimes a given pound of bacon is just a little too lean for its own good, and won't fry up properly. A few healthy dollops of bacon grease and Bob's Yer Uncle.
I was going to say the same thing, only about breakfast sausage (kind that comes in a plastic tube, not skins). Lately they seem to be too lean to make sausage gravy for biscuits, which we do about once a month for Saturday brunch. The way I make it, you need a goodly amount of fat to "roux-ify" the sausage before adding dairy. So a bit of leftover bacon grease added works well. (Otherwise I use a lump of butter.) Oddly, I can't stand milk gravy made with only bacon...

But, somewhat like Chronos, I mostly am making bacon when I'm going to use the fat in something else. It might be later in the day, though. Make a pack of bacon in the morning, save the grease and leftover bacon (if I can keep us from nibbling it!) and use that all to start out greens or beans at dinner.
Old 04-04-2017, 09:37 AM

On a similar note, my neighbor roasted a turkey for Thanksgiving, and gave me the carcass afterwards, which I boiled down for soup. When cooled, I skimmed about a half pound of turkey grease off the top, and put it in a tub in the fridge. I used it for cooking/frying grease, and after four months, I still have some left. To me, it was just as effective as bacon grease.

I never cook bacon just as bacon, but I use it in a few dedicated recopes, like green beans or liver and onions. So I never have the grease as an uneaten leftover.

Last edited by jtur88; 04-04-2017 at 09:38 AM.
Old 04-04-2017, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefguy View Post
Bacon fat usually ends up with impurities in it, unlike rendered goose fat or duck fat that you buy at the store, so it will likely develop mold over time. I used to store mine in the freezer in a plastic container and just chip out whatever I needed for cooking, but nowadays just fry up some bacon and use the resulting fat for whatever I'm needing it for.
I render my own goose and duck fat, from when I cook goose or duck. I've never had any trouble with mold. Eventually, they will go slightly rancid, and then I get rid of any leftover.

Yes, if you want bacon fat to keep you should probably strain out the bits of bacon and what-not. And make sure to cook off any moisture.
Old 04-04-2017, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbh View Post
My parents knew a guy who was a health food fanatic. But he did have a fondness for ginger snap cookies. However, he could never find any that were as good as his mother used to make. My mother took this as a challenge, and tried every recipe she could find, but without success.

My father mentioned that his aunt had always made the best ginger snaps he knew. Mom called the aunt. "Oh, I just use the recipe in the Betty Crocker cookbook, but instead of shortening, I use bacon grease."

Mom tried it, and the friend said that these tasted just like his mom's cookies! He asked what was the secret? Mom smiled and said, "You don't want to know."
My sister likes to bake, and last year she made ginger snaps with bacon fat, and another batch with lard. I prefer butter, personally, but they were good and I imagine some people would prefer the bacon fat.
Old 04-04-2017, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elemenopy View Post
Make a pack of bacon in the morning, save the ... leftover bacon
"leftover bacon" ? Wha?! The words you write are in English, but I do not understand.
Old 04-04-2017, 10:15 AM

Quote:
"leftover bacon" ? Wha?! The words you write are in English, but I do not understand.
Yeah, I know. But I do try! Also, not all bacon is a pound package--we sometimes get the "Ends and Pieces" which are several pounds and have lots of interesting bits for various usage.
Old 04-04-2017, 10:19 AM

What if I add some to a crock pot of home made beans? Sounds good, right?

And it will be 4 weeks old now sealed in the fridge. Still good, right?

Last edited by Leaffan; 04-04-2017 at 10:21 AM.
Old 04-04-2017, 10:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
I use it mostly the same way I use lard: to fry the onions in that start off about half the recipes I make. But it depends on what I'm in the mood for. Right now, I'm out of bacon grease and all I have is lard and chicken schmaltz in the fridge. (ETA: Actually, just checked and this is wrong. It's schmaltz I'm out of; I have bacon fat.) All are delicious for any type of stewy application.
How long does schmaltz keep? Because I've been keeping it by the stove.
Old 04-04-2017, 10:20 AM

Wrong post to edit.

Last edited by Leaffan; 04-04-2017 at 10:21 AM.
Old 04-04-2017, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaffan View Post
What if I add some to a crock pot of home made beans? Sounds good, right?

And it will be 4 weeks old now sealed in the fridge. Still good, right?
As far as I know, bacon drippings are one of those things that you can judge by smell whether it's still edible or not. So take a sniff.

And yes, it would be good with beans. I assume you are going to fry up some aromatics as a base, no? Onions, celery, carrot, bell pepper? Then use bacon fat for that, and put it into your bean pot without draining.
Old 04-04-2017, 10:36 AM

Quote:
As far as I know, bacon drippings are one of those things that you can judge by smell whether it's still edible or not. So take a sniff.

And yes, it would be good with beans. I assume you are going to fry up some aromatics as a base, no? Onions, celery, carrot, bell pepper? Then use bacon fat for that, and put it into your bean pot without draining.
Something like that, yes.
Old 04-04-2017, 12:14 PM

Bacon grease stored in the fridge (a cold fridge) keeps for a long time.
Old 04-04-2017, 12:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

No, really!

Yes, but this is rare, What is common is steaks which are too lean. Put some bacon grease in there and let it get hot, then fry.

Bacon grease is also perfect for the last step in cleaning seasoned cast iron.
1. Pour boiling water in pan. Let soak.
2. Scrub with soft brush.
3. wipe clean with paper towel.
4. Heat on stove to finish dry, then add a teaspoon of bacon grease. When fully melted, spread around with paper towel.
Old 04-04-2017, 01:34 PM

Quote:

That's how I judge all the fats and oils. Usually, the first sign of deterioration is a slight odor of rancidity. I've ditched bottles of canola oil and a tub of goose fat because I could smell they had begun to turn rancid.

I guess someone upthread said that bacon grease can mold if it's contaminated with stuff other than fat. But you'd be able to see that.
Old 04-04-2017, 02:25 PM

My mom had (has?) a set of salt and pepper shakers like these with a matching grease canister that says 'Grease' on it..
Old 04-04-2017, 03:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Kitchen View Post
Cook greens in it. Any greens, though spinach is best.
Greens, yes, definitely. I would list spinach at the back of the pack, through, behind mustard greens, kale, turnip greens, swiss chard, and broccoli rabe.

Other vegetables to put bacon grease in: beans in particular: pinto beans, black beans, lima beans, green beans; yellow summer squash or zucchini squash or spanish grey squash; rutabagas; regular white turnip roots; blackeyed peas and similar (crowder, bigboy, purple hull, spring, etc peas); also good for frying potatoes in, and you can grease your cornbread pan with the stuff for a nice dark crispy edge on your cornbread.
Old 04-04-2017, 03:58 PM

A friend of mine puts some sort of pomade(?) in his hair. I've told a number of our mutual friends that if you are ever really close to him you can smell bacon, because he uses bacon grease in his hair.

The amazing thing is that everyone believed me and the story has spread to other friends.
Old 04-04-2017, 04:10 PM

"I don't want FOP goddammit! I"m a bacon grease man!"

Old 04-04-2017, 04:57 PM

A gumbo recipe I'm looking at calls for 3/4 cup of bacon grease. I've got me some bacon to cook.
Old 04-04-2017, 05:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by excavating (for a mind) View Post
Get some sodium hydroxide and learn how to make soap. It's pretty easy and by choosing additional oils (coconut oil, shea butter, etc...), you can make some pretty interesting soaps. There are plenty of websites that will help you get the right proportions and combinations of ingredients.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girlundone View Post
This is what I was going to say. Render the fat first by boiling it with about twice the amount of water to grease for about 10-15 min. Put that in the fridge and when it's cool, lift the firm grease off the top. Do that like 3-4 times. After that, melt it and strain it through a coffee filter. Voila...nice clean fat for soap making. <3
Or, skip the tedious part, and just make bacon-scented soap.
Old 04-04-2017, 07:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Angel View Post
How long does schmaltz keep? Because I've been keeping it by the stove.
Until it doesn't smell good, taste right. That's all I got to go on. In the fridge, I don't think I've ever had it spoil on me, and I've occasionally forgotten about it for several months.
Old 04-04-2017, 10:21 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Mold grows on schmaltz. Use the good parts and throw the rest out.
Old 04-05-2017, 03:12 AM

Once it solidifies, I typically cut it up into cubes and freeze them. It'll last maybe up to eight months in the freezer if you keep a tight lid on it. I use it when I'm sweating onions that'll go with beef. I love to use it to make the ground beef in lasagna. I use it when frying veggies for soups or for big frittatas. I'll sometimes "chop" in the fat/lard when I'm making bread though, and it ends up being really tasty. Works well if you melt a few cubes of the stuff into oil when you make french fries. Sometimes I'll use it in place of butter for mashed potatoes.

Last edited by SOJA; 04-05-2017 at 03:13 AM.
Old 04-05-2017, 05:17 AM

[QUOTE=carol235;20107030]My grandmother used it in place of butter or shortening to make cookies.[/QUOTE

Crisper than butter, but doesn't release the flavour as well. My grandmother used chicken fat.
Old 04-05-2017, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typo Negative View Post
Bacon grease makes everything better. I put it my biscuit batter. I saute my veggies in it. I put in my soups, which are magnificent.
Got clear arteries?

Quote:
Should NEVER be translated from any language! Something is terribly wrong in a household with leftover bacon

What a sweet smell to remember, that along with coffee, the best thing in the morning. I remember it so well growing up and I dont drink coffee

Otherwise, the lot of you will die an early death but a happy one clogged with baconed arteries! (I bet your doctors love you!)
Old 04-07-2017, 06:06 AM

My favorite two recipes:

1) When making boxed mac and cheese (Kraft Dinner for our Canadian cousins), fry up 4-5 slices of bacon in a large saucepan and keep the grease, cooking the pasta in a separate pot. Combine milk and cheese powder in an empty jar and shake thoroughly to blend. Pour mixture into the grease and cook until the mixture begins to stiffen. Add cooked pasta, crumble bacon on top, mix well, devour.

2) Stir-fry 2-3 slices of bacon in wok until crispy. Use the fat to stir-fry the veggies, crumble bacon on top and devour. :9

-MMM-
Old 04-07-2017, 04:30 PM

Because of this thread, I stir-fried some halved brussels sprouts in bacon fat until they were browned, added some crumbled bacon from a cooked slice I had saved from breakfast, and a bit of chopped fresh garlic. That was some good eatin' as a side dish with last night's steak.