Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-22-2017, 02:45 PM
Darren Garrison Darren Garrison is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 4,902
WHAT did he say? (Misheard TV/movie lines)

The inspiration for this thread came just moments ago--an old episode of Star Trek: The Next Generation is playing in the background right now and receiving a fraction of my attention. So I hear a character say "I've got a problem--the nigger isn't working." It suddenly has my full attention. I know that he didn't say that, so I start trying to mentally rewind the half-heard episode and tease out what he actually said--oh, wait, he's in Sick Bay, talking to Doctor Polaski--he said "knitter", as in "bone knitter", a fictional device to repair broken bones! (It was this episode.)

So--other mishearings that you knew couldn't possibly be correct?
  #2  
Old 06-23-2017, 09:32 AM
TRC4941 TRC4941 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Hermantown, MN
Posts: 240
For me, it's not so much misheard lines it's "what did he say?" because I can't hear what they're saying! There are so many shows where the actors mumble. I'm always rewinding (we have a DVR) because my husband or I am saying, "what did he say?". Sometimes after rewinding 2 or 3 times we still can't figure it out.
  #3  
Old 06-23-2017, 09:51 AM
RealityChuck RealityChuck is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Schenectady, NY, USA
Posts: 40,712
There is the line in Shark Attack 3: Meglodon which people hear perfectly well, but always say "WHAT did he say?"

SPOILER:
"I'm really wired... What do you say I take you home and eat your pussy?"
__________________
"Deck us all with Boston Charlie,/Walla Walla, Wash., aní Kalamazoo!/Noraís freeziní on the trolley,/Swaller dollar cauliflower alley-garoo!
Purveyor of fine science fiction since 1982.
  #4  
Old 06-23-2017, 10:42 AM
CelticKnot CelticKnot is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: 2 hours from somewhere
Posts: 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRC4941 View Post
For me, it's not so much misheard lines it's "what did he say?" because I can't hear what they're saying! There are so many shows where the actors mumble. I'm always rewinding (we have a DVR) because my husband or I am saying, "what did he say?". Sometimes after rewinding 2 or 3 times we still can't figure it out.
I am very grateful for closed captioning/subtitles. On the other hand, sometimes they can be so wrong it adds a layer of hilarity to otherwise mundane dialogue.
  #5  
Old 06-23-2017, 01:35 PM
MaxTheVool MaxTheVool is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Santa Clara, CA
Posts: 11,306
There's an episode of Downton Abbey in which, I think in relation to the interminable Bates-may-or-may-not-be-a-murderer plotline, someone is asking a woman about some paperwork concerning where her husband is.

She says "I'll fill it out for you".

But it sounds EXACTLY like she says "Philadelphia".

Fortunately the subtitles, and my wife with better ears than mine, set me straight.


The funny thing is, either one fits in context.
  #6  
Old 06-23-2017, 01:40 PM
DrDeth DrDeth is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: San Jose
Posts: 34,092
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRC4941 View Post
For me, it's not so much misheard lines it's "what did he say?" because I can't hear what they're saying! There are so many shows where the actors mumble. I'm always rewinding (we have a DVR) because my husband or I am saying, "what did he say?". Sometimes after rewinding 2 or 3 times we still can't figure it out.
Closed captioning.
  #7  
Old 06-23-2017, 09:57 PM
Not Carlson Not Carlson is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Japan
Posts: 983
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRC4941 View Post
For me, it's not so much misheard lines it's "what did he say?" because I can't hear what they're saying! There are so many shows where the actors mumble. I'm always rewinding (we have a DVR) because my husband or I am saying, "what did he say?". Sometimes after rewinding 2 or 3 times we still can't figure it out.
My daughter and I had to do this when we watched Rashomon.
Even after multiple replays we couldnít make out half of what the characters were saying, and not just because itís old-timey Japanese.
The two leads, Toshiro Mifune and Machiko Kyo, speak so fast and with such emotionally distorted intonation that itís impossible to catch the full meaning.
  #8  
Old 06-24-2017, 09:19 AM
Shoeless Shoeless is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: The Sunflower State
Posts: 5,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticKnot View Post
I am very grateful for closed captioning/subtitles. On the other hand, sometimes they can be so wrong it adds a layer of hilarity to otherwise mundane dialogue.
I've mentioned this before in the "Amazing Race" threads, but that show has the absolute worst closed captioning I've ever seen. It is always about ten seconds behind the actual dialog, and is just so wrong most of the time that it's hardly worth having on. One of my favorite "hilariously wrong" moments was an episode where one team was trying to find the Pit Stop and one person says "We must be close... I can smell Phil's cologne from here." Except that the closed captioning replaced "cologne" with "colon".
  #9  
Old 06-27-2017, 09:08 PM
The King of Soup The King of Soup is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,249
I've learned to enjoy cheap foreign movies that have been dubbed and subtitled by different groups of people. I turn them both on and let the dialogue and the captions argue about what the hell is going on.
  #10  
Old 06-28-2017, 10:21 AM
Earl Snake-Hips Tucker Earl Snake-Hips Tucker is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: SEC
Posts: 13,720
In the "Our Gang" short "Dog Daze," part of the plot involves a penguin. Nerd Cousin Wilbur (Scotty Beckett) informs that it's actually a penguin and eats fish and shellfish. Porky then says "I've got a pocketful of [something]." Sounds like he's saying "Spang," but I have no idea what it's supposed to be.
  #11  
Old 06-28-2017, 06:00 PM
gigi gigi is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Flatlander in NH
Posts: 24,794
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRC4941 View Post
For me, it's not so much misheard lines it's "what did he say?" because I can't hear what they're saying! There are so many shows where the actors mumble. I'm always rewinding (we have a DVR) because my husband or I am saying, "what did he say?". Sometimes after rewinding 2 or 3 times we still can't figure it out.
On my TV/cable setup, Food Network shows somehow come through with the music HUGE and the narration drowned out. They try to amp up the suspense on Chopped and I can barely hear anyone say anything!

But relatedly, I thought of this thread the other night while watching Beat Bobby Flay. "I'm going to start with my pants off" Oh, your "pan sauce"!
  #12  
Old 07-21-2017, 10:13 AM
Darren Garrison Darren Garrison is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 4,902
Just had a new one--an episode of M*A*S*H on in the background, and I hear Charles Emerson Winchester III say something about being so bored that he almost asked to see photos of Klinger's cousin's nut jewels. This time I wracked my brain for anything at all that could have been that would make sense, and came up with nothing. After googling for a transcript, I see that he said: "Well, to illustrate the depths of my own despair, yesterday I came that close to begging Klinger for one brief glimpse of his cousin Hakim's nuptials."Well, to illustrate the depths of my own despair, yesterday I came that close to begging Klinger for one brief glimpse of the photos of his Cousin Hakim's nuptials.

Last edited by Darren Garrison; 07-21-2017 at 10:14 AM.
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:30 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@chicagoreader.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Publishers - interested in subscribing to the Straight Dope?
Write to: sdsubscriptions@chicagoreader.com.

Copyright © 2017 Sun-Times Media, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017