Old 04-07-2017, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychobunny View Post
I used to like Nanny and the Professor.
Also liked Anything but Love.
Was just thinking recently that nobody remembers Family.
I didn't like Family much, but I had a crush on Kristy McNichol. She's a few years older than me.

Remember those TV Allstars sporting events they used to have? She was a regular participant

Eta: Battle of the Network Stars

Last edited by What Exit?; 04-07-2017 at 08:10 PM.
Advertisements  
Old 04-07-2017, 08:32 PM

Everyone remembers Battle of the Network Stars. Every other year there are rumors of a revival. Robert Conrad always struck my young self as a person I would never want to hang our with.
Old 04-07-2017, 08:41 PM

Every time this subject comes up I always have to chime in with this show.
From 1975, the sit-com "Hot L Baltimore"

It starred James Cromwell (The movie "Babe"), Richard Masur ("One Day At A Time") and Conchata Ferrell ("2 1/2 Men") and is primarily know for being Norman Lear's first failure (though it was loved by the critics)

They only made 13 episodes and they've never been rerun. I was only 14 when i saw it and I remember liking it, but you know how memories are.

Love to get the chance to see it again.

Last edited by Richard John Marcej; 04-07-2017 at 08:42 PM.
Old 04-07-2017, 08:47 PM

Salvage 1 with Andy Griffith. Man builds a rocket out of spare parts and earns a living salvaging dead satellites from orbit, or something.

Man from Atlantis with TV's Patrick Duffy as a man with "amphibious abilities."

And who could ever forget Manimal?
Old 04-07-2017, 08:48 PM

I loved the show https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ph...982_TV_series)

I never thought to search for it before. I thought I just had the bad luck to only see the same episode, but now I find out only the pilot and 4 episodes were ever broadcast.

In one episode, the protagonist was in a Video Arcade and found the video game called "The Phoenix"
Old 04-07-2017, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMS Irruncible View Post
Salvage 1 with Andy Griffith. Man builds a rocket out of spare parts and earns a living salvaging dead satellites from orbit, or something.

Man from Atlantis with TV's Patrick Duffy as a man with "amphibious abilities."

And who could ever forget Manimal?
I loved The Man From Atlantis!

And The Fantastic Journey
Old 04-07-2017, 08:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by What Exit? View Post
I didn't like Family much, but I had a crush on Kristy McNichol. She's a few years older than me.
You had a crush on Kristy McNichol when the young and achingly beautiful Meredith Baxter (Birney) was in the same cast??? That's like watching Petticoat Junction and having a crush on Kate.

Anyway, I was thinking just today of a show called All's Fair, with Richard Crenna and Bernadette Peters. The show actually wasn't very good but Peters was adorable and Crenna was a solid performer. But what I really remember was the character of Peter's roommate, who had a mega-genius IQ and no common sense at all. She was having an affair with a married Senator and would walk around singing "I'm in Love With a Wonderful Guy" -- in Latin.
Old 04-07-2017, 09:24 PM

First time I saw Monty Python was in a 1974 variety show co-hosted by Barbara Feldon called "Dean Martin's Comedy World", (quite likely the most obscure thing DM ever did) which then got replaced by what eventually became SNL.

"Mary" ('78?) - Mary Tyler Moore's ill-advised attempt at a variety show, for lack of a better way of putting it. (Which did highlight, btw, David Letterman in a mouse outfit - in a 'lab animals musical' sketch - walking up to the camera, and singing.) (and, IIRC, Micheal Keaton quite spastically playing guitar in a restaurant sketch.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggirl View Post
Everyone remembers Battle of the Network Stars. Every other year there are rumors of a revival. Robert Conrad always struck my young self as a person I would never want to hang our with.
I remember him doing the 100-dash against Gabe Kaplan (Kotter).
Surrealler-than-fuck: seeing a totally in-shape, totally limbered-up Robert Conrad somehow creating the illusion that he's giving everything he's got, but getting passed by this fat, lumbering, ugly-track-suited shlebb.

Kotter won. I was requiring brain bleach after witnessing that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Batty View Post
The Hudson Brothers Razzle Dazzle Hour.

Saturday morning watching three stoner brothers and an emu-puppet. I think I was nine or ten when that was on. It obviously guided my worldview to this day.
Saw them doing Free Ride on the show. Didn't realise until years later that was an Edgar Winter number, and then later I used their awesome faces to grace the cover of a demo of one of my old bands. There's nothing like representation.

Their influence was of the ages.
Old 04-07-2017, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard John Marcej View Post
Every time this subject comes up I always have to chime in with this show.
From 1975, the sit-com "Hot L Baltimore"

It starred James Cromwell (The movie "Babe"), Richard Masur ("One Day At A Time") and Conchata Ferrell ("2 1/2 Men") and is primarily know for being Norman Lear's first failure (though it was loved by the critics)

They only made 13 episodes and they've never been rerun. I was only 14 when i saw it and I remember liking it, but you know how memories are.

Love to get the chance to see it again.
Wow. I remember the Lanford Wilson play, but I read it in the eighties, and never knew about the TV show.
Old 04-07-2017, 09:48 PM

Unhappily Ever After, an unabashed knockoff of Married...with Children except the Dad was divorced and owned a stuffed bunny (voiced by Bobcat Goldthwait) that only he could talk to. Despite lasting five seasons, it failed in syndication and has never been released on DVD or Blu-ray.
Old 04-07-2017, 10:04 PM

"The Defenders", an early 60's show featuring E G Marshall and Robert Reed as father/son lawyers who defended socially liberal causes. Sadly, the show has never aired in syndication, to this day. I think it should be required viewing for everyone, to see the legal struggles and suffering endured by people who were denied the rights that people take for granted today. I think one or two episodes can be seen on YouTube.
Old 04-07-2017, 10:14 PM

I have a really vague memory of this show, Best of the West, starring the guy from Silver Spoons.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Best_of_the_West

Apparently I was six when it was cancelled. I don't know whether it was good or not, but I must have liked it a little bit to (sort of) remember it after all these years.
Old 04-07-2017, 10:16 PM

I too came in to mention All's Fair. I used to watch it because Bernadette Peters was at her height of hotness then. I also remember a goofy ham named Michael Keaton in it.
Old 04-07-2017, 10:19 PM
Charter Member

Your favorite show nobody but you remembers.

I have a vague recollection of a variety show with a name something along the lines of "_________ and ___________ Together at Last!" And it didn't make any sense and the two hosts, who I can't remember, were not two people that the public was clamoring to see together, especially since the female half was a fashion model and not really a performer of any kind.

I haven't been able to track down this show online. Anyone have an idea?

Last edited by Acsenray; 04-07-2017 at 10:20 PM.
Old 04-07-2017, 10:30 PM
Charter Member

Shout out to The Brothers Grunt
Old 04-07-2017, 10:46 PM
Just Lovely and Delicious
Charter Member

Today I was at a comic con and some guy had a set of TigerSharks figurines for $650 a piece.

My friend, who is a few years younger, never heard of these TigerSharks. The guy selling them said they were a Thunder Cats spinoff that only had one run and was never re-aired.

I totally knew these TigerSharks. I recognized every character. My friend pulled up the show theme song on his phone. Recognized that too.

Then I had a memory of watching this bad block of cartoons every day after school, by myself, without my brother or parents, on the spare tv in mom's bedroom. They weren't particularly good but I was happy to finally be able to watch tv by myself and choose the shows.

I checked Wikipedia and sure enough:

"The series lasted one season with 26 episodes and was part of The Comic Strip show, which consisted of four animated shorts: TigerSharks, Street Frogs, The Mini Monsters, and Karate Kat."

My brother, a couple years older, has no recollection of TigerSharks or this block of cartoons either.

I decided that only a handful of us must have seen them at all.

Timely thread!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/TigerSharks
Old 04-07-2017, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biffy the Elephant Shrew View Post
I get that one confused with The Governor and J.J. which aired at the same time.
I remember The Governor and JJ and He & She.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/He_%26_She

Last edited by terentii; 04-07-2017 at 10:56 PM.
Old 04-07-2017, 11:13 PM

Paris 7000 was a good show that really should have run longer. It came on in midseason and lasted only through the spring:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0065332/

I really wanted to watch Jericho but never managed to, probably because it was on opposite Batman or some other show; I don't remember exactly. Walter Koenig guest starred as a Resistance fighter in one episode.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0059999/

Blue Light was another good show that deserved a longer run. Lawrence Montaigne and Bruce Mars were among the Nazis who were featured:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0059971/
Old 04-07-2017, 11:16 PM

SEARCH was a lot like an Earthbound version of Star Trek; not surprising, since Bob Justman was one of the producers.
Old 04-07-2017, 11:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by antechinus View Post
Benson and Bosom Buddies were on about the same time.
I pegged Peter Scolari as the one who would happen. Shows what I know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by burpo the wonder mutt View Post
Nanny (and the Prof) was Juliet Mills. OMG, I didn't know she was still alive; NATP was 45+ years ago!
At the same time I rethought my crush on her sister.

Quote:
Originally Posted by california jobcase View Post
I too came in to mention All's Fair. I used to watch it because Bernadette Peters was at her height of hotness then. I also remember a goofy ham named Michael Keaton in it.
Ditto for Bernie and Keaton's performance explained his choice as Burton's Batman: more than a little insane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terentii View Post
He & She.
I couldn't understand Paula Prentiss's attraction to Richard Benjamin then, and 50-some years after their marriage I still don't get it.
Old 04-07-2017, 11:27 PM
Confusing the Polarity
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightshadea View Post
I remember from weekend fox: beans baxter werewolf women in prison
Ah, yes, good ol' Werewolf Women in Prison. Good stuff!
Old 04-07-2017, 11:35 PM

I watched Strange Report when I was in high school. I especially liked the theme music.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strange_Report

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Fnp6zb4RnM
Old 04-07-2017, 11:59 PM
Charter Member

[Any reboot of Battle of the Network Stars will need the participants to wear classic single-layer-of-nylon Speedos, wet, and shown on the high dive. It's what made it Must See TV back then. Hello, Erin Gray!

Last edited by dropzone; 04-08-2017 at 12:01 AM.
Old 04-08-2017, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acsenray View Post
I have a vague recollection of a variety show with a name something along the lines of "_________ and ___________ Together at Last!" And it didn't make any sense and the two hosts, who I can't remember, were not two people that the public was clamoring to see together, especially since the female half was a fashion model and not really a performer of any kind.

I haven't been able to track down this show online. Anyone have an idea?
I too have a very vague recollection of this, but cannot remember who the two stars were either. IIRC, it made sense in that there was some "connection" between them, like the "marriage" everyone assumed existed between James Garner and Mariette Hartley back in the early '80s. (Hell, maybe it was them!)

I've been going through lists of US TV series arranged according to decade and can't seem to find it either. Is it possible this was a one-off special?
Old 04-08-2017, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearwildheaven View Post
When "Lost" was at the height of its popularity, ABC aired a one-season series called "Invasion" that was very good. I seem to have been the only person who watched it.
Make that two of us who watched it. I also liked Threshold that premiered that same year. I was sorry when they pulled it after just a few episodes because there were complaints that it was too dark and violent for family viewing. And I never understood why Invasion only lasted a year.
Old 04-08-2017, 12:48 AM

Marshall Herskovitz, Winnie Holzman, Edward Zwick and Jason Katims created, between them, four TV shows focusing on people at different stages of their lives.

Thirtysomething, (1987) about people in their 30s (obviously), ran for several years, and was quite prominent as far as pop cultural references and mentions were concerned

My So-Called Life, (1994) about high school kids, only ran for one season, but is high on the list of shows that people have fond memories of and wish hadn't been cancelled.

Their other two shows, however, while of similar quality, are all but forgotten. I don't think I've heard either one even mentioned in a decade aside from discussions like this:

Once and Again, (1999) was about two divorcees falling in love, and their families. It ran for three seasons, then seems to have been completely forgotten.

And even more obscure is Relativity, (1996), about 20-somethings. It only ran for one season. I'm not sure I've ever met anyone else who watched it.
Old 04-08-2017, 01:08 AM

Otherworld - A family gets trapped in an alternate dimension and struggles to get home.

Probe - A quirky genius solves high-tech crimes

You weren't kidding about Erin Gray in Battle of the Network Stars. Hot damn.
Old 04-08-2017, 02:13 AM
Charter Member

I saw Juliet Mills in something quite recently. Oh yes, she was in the pilot of Time After Time.

Anyhoo, apart from the Probe that Sefton just mentioned, I also liked these forgotten shows:
  • Mr Merlin: Merlin is now an old man who runs a gas station, teaching a new kid to be a wizard.
  • Throb: set in a trendy pop rock radio station. Where I first saw Jane Leeves. Also had one of the actors from the above Mr Merlin in it. Oh, and apparently the late Paul Walker of Fast and Furious fame.
  • All the various versions of It's A Living set in a restaurant at the top of a skyscraper. Life's not the French Riviera! Also Wendy Schaal... sigh.
  • A Man Called Sloane, which I thought was called TR Sloane but maybe that was the pilot movie.
  • The Wizard, David Rappaport carries a magical carpet bag everywhere. I can't really remember much else.
  • The Powers of Matthew Star. Well this was awful, but as a kid I loved it. When they made a Starman series a few years later, it reminded me of this show.
Old 04-08-2017, 04:34 AM

Square Pegs

Of-beat quirky HIgh School comedy with an unusual premise, with actors close to the age of their characters.

Probably appealed to people who had recently been in high school more than to people who had not yet been to high school.

In my market, it was shown off season, in an odd time slot, and the stations knew that there wasn't a second season. /Nobody/ I knew ever heard of it.

Last edited by Melbourne; 04-08-2017 at 04:36 AM.
Old 04-08-2017, 05:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melbourne View Post
Square Pegs

Of-beat quirky HIgh School comedy with an unusual premise, with actors close to the age of their characters.

Probably appealed to people who had recently been in high school more than to people who had not yet been to high school.

In my market, it was shown off season, in an odd time slot, and the stations knew that there wasn't a second season. /Nobody/ I knew ever heard of it.
"Quirky" doesn't begin to describe "Square Pegs," a high school comedy. Sarah Jessica Parker, pre-"Sex and the City," as bespectacled Patty; her best friend Lauren, overweight and with braces on her teeth; a character named Johnny Slash ("I'm New Wave. Totally different than punk. Totally"); a peppy cheerleader named Muffy; the class clown named Marshall; and Tony Dow (better known as "Wally Cleaver") as Patty's father.

It was a slice of 1980s American high school life. Not too far away from my own high school years that I couldn't understand and enjoy it. I've got the series on DVD; it's fun to pull it out from time to time, and relive those years.

Last edited by Spoons; 04-08-2017 at 05:01 AM.
Old 04-08-2017, 05:59 AM

"Trials of O'Brien" with Peter Falk
"Fractured Flickers"
"Gulla-gulla Island"
"Sky King"

Several great British shows, including:
"Danger Man" with Patrick McGoohan
"Doctor Finlay's Casebook"
"Family at War"
"The Planemakers"
"Rumpole of the Bailey"
"The Bounder"

From Canada:
"St. Lawrence North"
"Cannonball"
"The Friendly Giant"

"The Bounder" was the funniest show I ever saw. Only 14 episodes in 1982. A slick con man gets released from prison and goes to live with his sister, who refuses to believe that he has not mended his ways.
Old 04-08-2017, 06:34 AM

Last night I was flipping through channels and ran across a show that I didn't even remember having existed. I recognized it as soon as I saw it, though. Voyagers!. (I see that not long after the show originally aired, the star chose an unfortunate bit of horseplay.)
Old 04-08-2017, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunilou View Post
You had a crush on Kristy McNichol when the young and achingly beautiful Meredith Baxter (Birney) was in the same cast??? That's like watching Petticoat Junction and having a crush on Kate.
Well, Kristy was the cute girl next door and only 2-3 years older than me and Meredith is about 20 years older. I don't even remember her on the show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melbourne View Post
Square Pegs

I liked that show, pretty talented cast but I went back to watch a few episodes maybe 8 years ago and it has not held up in any way for me. Besides Sarah Jessica Parker it had Jami Gertz & Tracy Nelson. I know neither went on to great work but still pretty talented trio there.

Last edited by What Exit?; 04-08-2017 at 06:38 AM.
Old 04-08-2017, 07:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by terentii View Post
I too have a very vague recollection of this, but cannot remember who the two stars were either. IIRC, it made sense in that there was some "connection" between them, like the "marriage" everyone assumed existed between James Garner and Mariette Hartley back in the early '80s. (Hell, maybe it was them!)

I've been going through lists of US TV series arranged according to decade and can't seem to find it either. Is it possible this was a one-off special?
It was so long ago and I was so young, I can't really remember. I seem to recall that it was just a very short-lived variety show, but I can't be very sure about that.
Old 04-08-2017, 08:12 AM

Coronet Blue, of course. It premiered in 1967, along with The Prisoner. They both shared a similar vibe.

Was it good? No, not really, But both shows were a bit different from the usual mid-60s fare.

I've never met anybody in my age range who remembers it.
Old 04-08-2017, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuanoLad View Post
[*]The Powers of Matthew Star. Well this was awful, but as a kid I loved it. When they made a Starman series a few years later, it reminded me of this show.[/LIST]
This is the one I was going to name. I remember liking it as a kid but not much else. Since most of the reviews say it was pretty bad, I probably won't ever go back to rewatch it so I can keep it as really cool in my head.
Old 04-08-2017, 08:26 AM
Charter Member

I remember loving a Mel Brooks show called The Nutt House, set in a hotel. They used the same set as the TV series Hotel, which was a Love Boat / Fantasy Island clone.

There used to be a show called Lottery! about the different ways people reacted when they won the lottery, starring Ben Murphy, who was also in one of my favourite shows when I was a kid, about a guy who could turn invisible, called The Gemini Man.

There were a whole bunch of detective shows in the wake of Magnum PI, like Simon and Simon, the aforementioned Riptide, and Hardcastle and McCormick, but one of my favourites was Kate Jackson and Bruce Boxleitner's Scarecrow and Mrs King. I am pretty sure that was why Boxleitner was in Chuck, for the similar premise of an ordinary person getting caught up in the spy world. And also Tron of course.
Old 04-08-2017, 08:41 AM

Frank's Place

Only ran for one season in 1987-88-- 22 episodes, which is what constituted a season back then. Fabulous program starring Tim Reid, who had played Venus Flytrap on WKRP in Cincinnati. He was also the Executive Producer.

The premise: "Frank Parish is a professor from Boston, who has not seen his father since he was two. 35 years later, he is told that his father died and that he owned a restaurant in New Orleans, which is now legally Frank's."

But there was so much more to the show than this brief description conveys. Frank moves to New Orleans with the intention of shutting down and selling the restaurant. But instead he learns the ways, manners, stories of New Orleans, along with its quirky denizens. The cast was 90% black. God, this was a great program--one of those "too good to last." It had humor, heart, understanding, and some great writing.

I also loved Memphis Beat, which someone else mentioned.
Old 04-08-2017, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by What Exit? View Post
Well, Kristy was the cute girl next door and only 2-3 years older than me and Meredith is about 20 years older. I don't even remember her on the show.
I liked her too, and I guess it was an age thing because she was kind of funny looking. Her first role, however, brings up another forgotten "gem" Run, Joe, Run
Old 04-08-2017, 08:53 AM
Charter Member

Oh. Who else remembers Lucan, about a boy raised by wolves?
Old 04-08-2017, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZonexandScout View Post
Coronet Blue, of course. It premiered in 1967, along with The Prisoner. They both shared a similar vibe.

Was it good? No, not really, But both shows were a bit different from the usual mid-60s fare.

I've never met anybody in my age range who remembers it.
I know of it, but remember when it was on only very vaguely. The theme song is on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IygGNT3nsRg

The resolution (which SFAIK was never filmed) was that

SPOILER:
the dude who had lost his memory was actually a Soviet sleeper agent.

When I was in third grade, I absolutely loved this show. Whereas Combat! was set in France, and The Rat Patrol in North Africa, this took place in Italy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wK1BfiIbVbc

Last edited by terentii; 04-08-2017 at 09:07 AM.
Old 04-08-2017, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
"Cannonball"
Is this the 1950s trucker series with William Campbell (aka The Squire of Gothos)? I remember watching this when I was three or four years old:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSLoZzJ-7kc

Holy crap, it was Canadian ("Filmed in Toronto")! And that theme song! Even in 1958, I thought it was way cool!

Last edited by terentii; 04-08-2017 at 09:18 AM.
Old 04-08-2017, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondebear View Post
NatureScene was on for 32 years but I've never met anyone else who's ever seen it. It was 30 minutes of a naturalist and his buddy checking out the flora and fauna of whatever location they were in that week. To say it was low-key would be a major understatement, but I liked the laid back vibe. It was just nice spending a half hour with Rudy and Jim while they explored and enjoyed the natural world around them.
Yeah, I used to just take it for granted that NatureScene was shown on PBS stations across the nation (like The Joy of Painting and other shows) but apparently it never much broke out of the South Carolina market for some reason, even though it covered multiple states and even other countries (I remember a trip to Russia, for instance.) It even should have intersectional feminist appeal--when Jim Welsh wasn't with Rudy, it was Beryl Dakers--a black woman--even close to 40 years ago.
Old 04-08-2017, 09:25 AM

The Littlest Hobo......German Shepherd goodness.
Old 04-08-2017, 09:53 AM
Charter Member

Dean Martin Presents the Golddiggers in London:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0062553/...=tt_dt_dt#akas

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Golddiggers

Each summer when the American TV show The Dean Martin Show (very popular at the time) went on hiatus, the time slot would be filled in by a replacement show run by the same production company. Several times this show starred the Golddiggers, the singing and dancing female troupe from the regular show. In the summer of 1970, someone decided that it would be nice to film the show in London. They hired Charles Nelson Reilly and Marty Feldman to be the hosts of the show. Reilly (who never did anything else half as funny) was well known to American audiences. He was sort of on the edge of being part of the Brat Pack. Marty Feldman wasn't known to American audiences but was a hot new comedian in the U.K. He was one of the cast and writers of the British show At Last the 1948 Show. Feldman and Reilly did comedy sketches on this Dean Martin summer replacement show, some of which came from At Last the 1948 Show, including a version of the Four Yorkshiremen sketch, one of the most famous comedy sketches of all time. The sketches that I remember were screaming funny.
Old 04-08-2017, 10:00 AM

I saw Night Flight broadcast in syndication in the early 90s.

It came in horribly, and it was like midnight and I'd keep dozing off, but...I was a rural kid with little exposure to anything, and it was So Fascinatingly Weird by pre-internet standards.

And I never talk to anyone who remembers it.
Old 04-08-2017, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Garrison View Post
Last night I was flipping through channels and ran across a show that I didn't even remember having existed. I recognized it as soon as I saw it, though. Voyagers!. (I see that not long after the show originally aired, the star chose an unfortunate bit of horseplay.)
I loved that show when I was a kid! It's the first thing I thought of when I saw this thread.

I remember it was absolutely the only thing on TV on Sunday mornings that wasn't religious programming, news, or infomercials (this was pre-cable, for those of you for whom that statement doesn't make any sense), but it was also a decent show, or at least it was in my 30+ year old memory.
Old 04-08-2017, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waem View Post
I saw Night Flight broadcast in syndication in the early 90s.

It came in horribly, and it was like midnight and I'd keep dozing off, but...I was a rural kid with little exposure to anything, and it was So Fascinatingly Weird by pre-internet standards.

And I never talk to anyone who remembers it.
I do! I watched Night Flight all the time on USA. Lots of crazy short films and music videos. It's also where I first saw the movie Fantastic Planet. There's a Roku Night Flight channel but it's pay so I have never seen it but my understanding is it rebroadcasts episodes.

I have another one that wasn't a series. It was a TV movie that as far as I know only only aired once. I believe it was called Without Warning and it was a TV movie about an alien invasion but in the format of a series of live newscasts. I only saw it the one time but my memory of it is that it was good. I suspect if I saw it again it would probably be cheezy.
Old 04-08-2017, 10:18 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuanoLad View Post
There used to be a show called Lottery! about the different ways people reacted when they won the lottery, starring Ben Murphy, who was also in one of my favourite shows when I was a kid, about a guy who could turn invisible, called The Gemini Man.
I think I have a vague collection of Gemini Man, but I definitely remember Lottery! Got into a fight once with a cousin who wanted to watch Dallas instead.

Quote:
but one of my favorites was Kate Jackson and Bruce Boxleitner's Scarecrow and Mrs King.

Oh yes! I had forgotten about that. It was regular viewing when I was a kid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
Frank's Place

Only ran for one season in 1987-88-- 22 episodes, which is what constituted a season back then. Fabulous program starring Tim Reid, who had played Venus Flytrap on WKRP in Cincinnati. He was also the Executive Producer.

The premise: "Frank Parish is a professor from Boston, who has not seen his father since he was two. 35 years later, he is told that his father died and that he owned a restaurant in New Orleans, which is now legally Frank's."

But there was so much more to the show than this brief description conveys. Frank moves to New Orleans with the intention of shutting down and selling the restaurant. But instead he learns the ways, manners, stories of New Orleans, along with its quirky denizens. The cast was 90% black. God, this was a great program--one of those "too good to last." It had humor, heart, understanding, and some great writing.

I recall Frank's Place getting good marks from critics. I have a vague notion that I might have seen an episode but I don't recall too much about it.

Last edited by Chronos; 04-08-2017 at 08:07 PM. Reason: Fixed quote tag
Old 04-08-2017, 10:22 AM
Charter Member

I'll second GuanoLad on The Wizard. It starred a genius inventor who wanted only to make wondrous toys. He always got into various sorts of adventures, and his toys always somehow saved the day. I don't remember the carpetbag, though. The only specific toys I remember were a super-cool remote controlled jet (I don't remember what it did), and a little spherical robot that was strong enough to bend prison bars.