Old 04-08-2017, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blank Slate View Post
I liked her too, and I guess it was an age thing because she was kind of funny looking. Her first role, however, brings up another forgotten "gem" Run, Joe, Run
I vaguely remember Run, Joe, Run but I don't remember Kristy McNichol on it. It looks like it was 1 episode.
Old 04-08-2017, 12:27 PM
Charter Member

Police Squad!, a six episode series that would likely have been forgotten if it hadn't spawned the "Naked Gun" films.

Also Sledge Hammer!, another cop procedural spoof, starring David Rasche.
Old 04-08-2017, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie The Horrible View Post
I remember him doing the 100-dash against Gabe Kaplan (Kotter).
Surrealler-than-fuck: seeing a totally in-shape, totally limbered-up Robert Conrad somehow creating the illusion that he's giving everything he's got, but getting passed by this fat, lumbering, ugly-track-suited shlebb.

Kotter won. I was requiring brain bleach after witnessing that.
I was a big fan of Battle of the Network Stars back in the day. You mention Gabe Kaplan ... I think he was a much better athlete than he appeared. Not only racing against Conrad, but he was always the quarterback for the ABC team in the football competition, and he did really well. What always bugged me was NBC would have Mark Harmon playing QB for them ... he actually played quarterback for UCLA, for real. That hardly seemed fair.

On topic, I worked for a small television station back in the 1980s that started up right along with the Fox network. Fox started out with several programs that really stood the test of time - Married With Children, The Tracy Ullman Show, 21 Jump Street - but plenty of others that not many people remember. Mr. President, with George C. Scott as the President and Madeline Kahn as his sister-in-law? Duet, with the lovely yet show-killing Alison LaPlaca (after Duet's short run she and her character moved on to Open House, which lasted an even shorter time)? The New Adventures Of Beans Baxter - did Beans ever have any old adventures?

Last edited by Uncle Jocko; 04-08-2017 at 12:38 PM.
Old 04-08-2017, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Jocko View Post
Duet, with the lovely yet show-killing Alison LaPlaca (after Duet's short run she and her character moved on to Open House, which lasted an even shorter time)?
Hmmm, I wonder where I heard about these shows before. . ..
Old 04-08-2017, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell Wagner View Post
Dean Martin Presents the Golddiggers in London:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0062553/...=tt_dt_dt#akas

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Golddiggers

Each summer when the American TV show The Dean Martin Show (very popular at the time) went on hiatus, the time slot would be filled in by a replacement show run by the same production company. Several times this show starred the Golddiggers, the singing and dancing female troupe from the regular show. In the summer of 1970, someone decided that it would be nice to film the show in London. They hired Charles Nelson Reilly and Marty Feldman to be the hosts of the show. Reilly (who never did anything else half as funny) was well known to American audiences. He was sort of on the edge of being part of the Brat Pack. Marty Feldman wasn't known to American audiences but was a hot new comedian in the U.K. He was one of the cast and writers of the British show At Last the 1948 Show. Feldman and Reilly did comedy sketches on this Dean Martin summer replacement show, some of which came from At Last the 1948 Show, including a version of the Four Yorkshiremen sketch, one of the most famous comedy sketches of all time. The sketches that I remember were screaming funny.
Oh, God, yes, I remember this! It helped me get through the summer of 1970.
Old 04-08-2017, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefguy View Post
Sledge Hammer! is currently airing on MeTV. 1:30 AM on Sundays isn't exactly a prime time slot, but in these days of DVRs (and for that matter, those days of VCRs) that doesn't much matter.
Old 04-08-2017, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropzone View Post
I pegged Peter Scolari as the one who would happen. Shows what I know.
People always say this, but when I was a kid I thought doing 6 years of Newhart was a pretty big deal. He never became a star but he's always worked, which is more than most actors who get 1 series ever do.
Old 04-08-2017, 02:05 PM

1995 was a good year. I liked Strange Luck and VR.5

They filled the hole left by some bastard cancelling Brisco County anyway.
Old 04-08-2017, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by What Exit? View Post
I vaguely remember Run, Joe, Run but I don't remember Kristy McNichol on it. It looks like it was 1 episode.
No one believes me when i say "It's The Fugitive. But a dog."

I'm trying to remember more...we already did almost all the short-lived Sci-fi shows.

Planet of the Apes cartoon

Planet of the Apes TV show

Nice intro music

Last edited by Dale Sams; 04-08-2017 at 02:15 PM.
Old 04-08-2017, 02:29 PM

Here are some horror anthologies:

The Sixth Sense

Quinn Martin's Tales of the Unexpected....going through the 8 episode synopsi (?) some of those could be long unanswered 'what is this tv show?'

Ghost Story (1972)
Old 04-08-2017, 02:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefguy View Post
Police Squad!, a six episode series that would likely have been forgotten if it hadn't spawned the "Naked Gun" films.

I remember Sledge Hammer quite fondly. One weird thing is they would show reruns of it in Hungary in the early 00s, dubbed in Hungarian and all.
Old 04-08-2017, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Sams View Post
I'm trying to remember more...we already did almost all the short-lived Sci-fi shows.
Well, there's Homeboys in Outer Space.

And Mercy Point, which was a bit of a humanwashed Sector General.
Old 04-08-2017, 02:49 PM

If we are going to go with cartoons, how about YoulissEEEeeeEEEeeEEEs 31, or The Littles?
Old 04-08-2017, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GargoyleWB View Post
BJ and The Bear was my favorite show as a little kid. I can't remember much about it and am curious about going back and watching a couple of episodes. All I remember is a chimp, and a guaranteed big rig crash in every episode. To a 6 year-old boy, nothing else is really necessary for quality TV.
Didn't this show also have The Lander Sisters somehow involved? They were treats for the young boys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acsenray View Post
As a child I loved the Saturday morning live shows "Ghost Busters"and "Space Nuts"
Yeah, Ghost Busters! Larry Storch, Forrest Tucker and a Gorilla named Tracy! That's quality TV right there!
Old 04-08-2017, 03:32 PM

"Excuse My French", a sitcom which aired on Canadian TV in the mid 70s. Maybe only on Montreal TV. The son of an anglophone businessman marries the daughter of a francophone working class family. Family conflict ensues. Full of the most blatant stereotypes. I think it went off the air when the PQ were elected to power for the first time; this sort of thing was no longer funny.
Old 04-08-2017, 03:45 PM
Charter Member

Something Wilder, starring Gene Wilder

Last edited by Annie-Xmas; 04-08-2017 at 03:46 PM.
Old 04-08-2017, 04:06 PM

I wouldn't mind seeing repeats of either of the following shows:

1) Strange Report (starring Anthony Quayle), about an unorthodox team of crime fighters, which ran for one season or less.

2) Night Heat, a cop drama set in an unnamed North American city (Toronto?), and which lasted several years in the mid-late 1980s.
Old 04-08-2017, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny L.A. View Post
Shout out to The Brothers Grunt
There is not enough brain bleach in the world to make me want to watch any of that program again.

Old 04-08-2017, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillownedbysetters View Post
Make that two of us who watched it. I also liked Threshold that premiered that same year. I was sorry when they pulled it after just a few episodes because there were complaints that it was too dark and violent for family viewing. And I never understood why Invasion only lasted a year.
The last episode had a terrific cliffhanger, too.

I heard that at least one of the main actors got a deal s/he couldn't refuse, and they couldn't find a way to write them out of the show and still have it make sense.
Old 04-08-2017, 04:49 PM

They Came From Outer Space!
Old 04-08-2017, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melbourne View Post
Square Pegs

Of-beat quirky HIgh School comedy with an unusual premise, with actors close to the age of their characters.

Probably appealed to people who had recently been in high school more than to people who had not yet been to high school.

In my market, it was shown off season, in an odd time slot, and the stations knew that there wasn't a second season. /Nobody/ I knew ever heard of it.
I was part of their demographic; they introduced America to some great New Wave bands.

I heard that the show was discontinued in large part because so many of the stars had serious substance abuse issues, mostly cocaine.

Is there anyone here who saw the first and last episode of "Turn-On"?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turn-On
Old 04-08-2017, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackmannii View Post
Night Heat, a cop drama set in an unnamed North American city (Toronto?), and which lasted several years in the mid-late 1980s.
I remember this. I believe it was a series "commissioned" by CBS for its late night schedule (I think Leg Work with Margaret Colin was another). It was definitely filmed in Canada (Toronto or Vancouver), but I always thought the setting was Boston or Chicago (there was some "Irish" influence, as I recall).

I got to watch it in Czechoslovakia in 1991--92, with Czech overdubbing. I thought it was quite good.
Old 04-08-2017, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waem View Post
I saw Night Flight broadcast in syndication in the early 90s.

It came in horribly, and it was like midnight and I'd keep dozing off, but...I was a rural kid with little exposure to anything, and it was So Fascinatingly Weird by pre-internet standards.

And I never talk to anyone who remembers it.
(jumps up and down and waves) I do! I do! It was You Tube, 30 years before You Tube.

In the mid 1980s, there was a one-season series called "Kay O'Brien" about a female surgeon in residency, and her colleagues. Lifetime ran it periodically for many years afterwards, and when Patricia Kalember, who played Kay, made her first cameo appearance on "Madam Secretary", I went, "Hey, that's Kay O'Brien!"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kay_O%27Brien
Old 04-08-2017, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quimby View Post
I have another one that wasn't a series. It was a TV movie that as far as I know only only aired once. I believe it was called Without Warning and it was a TV movie about an alien invasion but in the format of a series of live newscasts. I only saw it the one time but my memory of it is that it was good. I suspect if I saw it again it would probably be cheezy.
I saw part of it at the time, and it was cheezy then. The network tried to do a "War of the Worlds" redux and did it by broadcasting it in real time.

I'm pretty sure it's on You Tube.

In the early 1980s, there was a movie called "Special Report", parts of which were also broadcasted in real time, about a domestic terrorist who holds Charleston, SC hostage with a homemade nuclear weapon. It too is on You Tube and I finally saw it within the past couple of years, after I realized I could get You Tube through my Tivo. At the time, some people were concerned about panic, and there were people who figured it out pretty quickly when the news network was one they'd never heard of (Global Broadcasting Network, that kind of thing) and it wasn't being covered on any other station.

In the end
SPOILER:
the bomb explodes but there are relatively few casualties because Charleston was mostly evacuated. The news channels moved on faster than we did after 9/11.
Old 04-08-2017, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quimby View Post
I do! I watched Night Flight all the time on USA. Lots of crazy short films and music videos. It's also where I first saw the movie Fantastic Planet. There's a Roku Night Flight channel but it's pay so I have never seen it but my understanding is it rebroadcasts episodes.
Missed the edit deadline: Did you also see "I Was A Zombie For The FBI"? TV Guide described it as "Aliens steal the formula for a popular soft drink" and that was indeed pretty much the extent of the plot. It was a film school project from the early 1980s, shot in B&W with all the hair and clothing styles from the early 1980s and the cars were all from the 1950s. The alien was the same stop-motion alien used in the ZZ Top video "TV Dinners" a couple years later.
Old 04-08-2017, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearwildheaven View Post
In the early 1980s, there was a movie called "Special Report", parts of which were also broadcasted in real time, about a domestic terrorist who holds Charleston, SC hostage with a homemade nuclear weapon.
Special Bulletin.
Old 04-08-2017, 05:22 PM

Gatchaman (1972), very few remember that one because that Japanese animated show from the 70's was repackaged and they squeezed out the more adult and serious themes it had, and turned it into what everyone remembers as Battle of the Planets (1978, and shown in the early 80's in the old country) .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=co4_WHDp72Y
YouTube short clip showing how one scene was cut, with the violent end of some secondary characters removed from the American version. The American version was the one shown translated to Spanish in the old country. Much later in the 90's I learned about the gross censorship and dumbification made to the original show, then I finally did see it in its original form and liked it a lot.

Last edited by GIGObuster; 04-08-2017 at 05:27 PM.
Old 04-08-2017, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIGObuster View Post
Much later in the 90's I learned about the gross censorship and dumbification made to the original show
But they had to make room for 7-Zark-7!
Old 04-08-2017, 05:57 PM

BTW, I remember watching Battle of the Planets as a child, and in an episode where the team's commanding officer threatened to ground them if they (did x, or did x again) I thought that he was threatening to grind them--as in toss them into a large meat grinder or something.
Old 04-08-2017, 06:30 PM

I would’ve posted earlier, but I couldn’t remember the name of a show starring post-Night Court John Larroquette. Turns out it was The John Larroquette Show .

IMHO, a great show (1993-1996). Larroquette plays a recovering alcoholic who becomes the manager of a big city bus station. It made me appreciate Larroquette as an actor.
Old 04-08-2017, 08:10 PM
Charter Member

Check out the funky theme music to the Logan's Run TV series.
Old 04-08-2017, 08:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
I'll second GuanoLad on The Wizard. It starred a genius inventor who wanted only to make wondrous toys. He always got into various sorts of adventures, and his toys always somehow saved the day. I don't remember the carpetbag, though. The only specific toys I remember were a super-cool remote controlled jet (I don't remember what it did), and a little spherical robot that was strong enough to bend prison bars.
I'll third and fourth this. My little brother and I used to watch it all the time. He was only four or five at the time, and he always called it "Simon" after the main character's name. Our favorite episode was some kind of Raiders of the Lost Ark clone, where they had to survive traps in an ancient tomb.
Old 04-08-2017, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ioioio View Post
I would’ve posted earlier, but I couldn’t remember the name of a show starring post-Night Court John Larroquette. Turns out it was The John Larroquette Show .

IMHO, a great show (1993-1996). Larroquette plays a recovering alcoholic who becomes the manager of a big city bus station. It made me appreciate Larroquette as an actor.
<light bulb over head>

I remember that show! I really liked it, too.
Old 04-08-2017, 09:47 PM

Two from the Brits

Red Dwarf (goofy and surprisingly sweet - I wonder whether the humor would hold up today?) and of course the great Fawlty Towers.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
Old 04-08-2017, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsmom101 View Post
Two from the Brits

Red Dwarf (goofy and surprisingly sweet - I wonder whether the humor would hold up today?) and of course the great Fawlty Towers.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
Not sure if either of yours really count, Fawlty Towers is well remembered and cherished by large numbers, Red Dwarf while much more obscure had a fairly good following and a long run.
Old 04-08-2017, 10:20 PM

There was a third TV Movie done in the style of News Broadcasts called Countdown to Looking Glass. It was on HBO and was about the events that lead up to a Nuclear war.
Old 04-08-2017, 11:22 PM

Here's one that everyone I 've ever mentioned this show to, has never seen it. It's a Canadian show called "Made In Canada" but when shown in America, primarily on PBS (where I saw it) is called "The Industry".

It's a dark comedy featuring a group of back stabbing executives, actors and actresses at a Canadian TV Network. It ran 6 seasons, though I'm sure I didn't see all of them and ran from '98-2003. I remember it being very funny, but have never seen it or even heard anything about it since my first viewing
Old 04-09-2017, 12:45 AM
Charter Member

Your favorite show nobody but you remembers.

These are much more recent, but nobody I talk to in real life has seen them — British comedies

"The Thick of It" (2005-2012) - with a blindingly foul-mouthed Peter Capaldi as a political mastermind for the Labor party (unnamed but obvious) at the end of Gordon Brown's premiership. Spun off a movie "In the Loop," about the run-up to the Iraq war, and has been remade in the U.S. as HBO's "Veep."

"Twenty Twelve" (2011-2012) — a mockumentary about the preparations for the London Olympics starting Hugh Bonneville of "Downton Abbey"

"W1A" (2015-2015) — After the Olympics, Bonneville's character gets an executive position at the BBC and the mockumentary moves to satire of the media business and modern office life in general. This one hit very close to home for me and I have a fantasy to make every executive at my company sit and watch every second of it and then submit term papers on what they learned. If it could be done at gunpoint, it would somehow me more satisfying.

Last edited by Acsenray; 04-09-2017 at 12:46 AM.
Old 04-09-2017, 02:37 AM

Finally thought of a real obscure one. So obscure i kind find a proper theme song for it that actually features the opening credits.

A Year at the Top

Paul Shaffer and Greg Evigan sell their souls to the devil for fame.
Old 04-09-2017, 05:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Red Dwarf while much more obscure had a fairly good following and a long run.
And it's still going. They had a new season out last year, and another is due later this year.
Old 04-09-2017, 06:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Garrison View Post
Oh gosh, do I remember that one.

It was the early 1980s. The Soviet Union was deploying SS-20 missiles across Europe. The US wanted to do the same with its European NATO partners, but Europeans resisted. The Greenham Common women in the UK created human chains to prevent US troops and materiel through to the US base there. The Soviet Union claimed that it was all for peace, but only on their terms: i.e. communism everywhere, ruled from Moscow. Locally, in Toronto, peacenik groups held "die-ins," and silhouettes were painted on buildings and sidewalks (to mirror the images of those vaporized at Hiroshima). It was a very tense time. Europeans were at stake, but we in North America were safe, thanks to NORAD.

Or were we? This show came on. Holy hannah, what an awakening we all had. Those of us in North America who saw this show; suddenly saw this madness as affecting us also.

A timely show, indeed.
Old 04-09-2017, 06:33 AM

The was F/X: The Series, based on the movie F/X and its sequel. The protagonist was a special effects expert, who would help his cop buddy solve crime though the use of his particular skills.
Old 04-09-2017, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acsenray View Post
These are much more recent, but nobody I talk to in real life has seen them — British comedies

"W1A" (2015-2015) — After the Olympics, Bonneville's character gets an executive position at the BBC and the mockumentary moves to satire of the media business and modern office life in general. This one hit very close to home for me and I have a fantasy to make every executive at my company sit and watch every second of it and then submit term papers on what they learned. If it could be done at gunpoint, it would somehow me more satisfying.
I just saw a promo for this last night on PBS. Apparently it's going to start airing sometime soon. Check your local listings. (I thought Bonneville looked younger than Lord Grantham in that clip they showed.)
Old 04-09-2017, 09:11 AM

Karachi Kops was a 1994 Pakistani police-reality series that ran on a US cable station (forgot which one) on Saturday mornings a couple of decades ago.

If you're really into that sort of things, there is a very, very well produced Ethiopian police reality series with all episodes on YouTube, called. Ketezegaw Dose. No subtitles, but a gritty look at modern Ethiopia. Dramatized reenactments, very convincing actors. Worth a look.
Old 04-09-2017, 11:32 AM

Flying Blind was the tale of a wild and glamorous woman who apparently doesn't realize how implausibly cosmopolitan her experiences seem -- especially to the nebbishy everyman she's for some reason just started a whirlwind romance with.

So whenever the sitcom plot of the week called for a passionate ex or her dad the former spy or whoever to show up, it all rested on her seen-it-all shrug -- and you couldn't ask for a better fit in that role than young unknown Téa Leoni.
Old 04-09-2017, 12:02 PM

Wild West C.O.W-Boys of Moo Mesa: An early 90s cartoon no one but me seems to remember. Mutated anthropomorphic cows fighting baddies in the old west.

Into The West: 2005 TNT miniseries following a family from the 1820s to the 1890s.

Allo Allo: British comedy from the 80s about a café owner in France and his interactions with several quirky Germans. Probably more popular in the UK then here.
Old 04-09-2017, 12:12 PM

The Millionaire. Every week some unseen rich guy has his stiff flunky deliver a check for a million dollars to some deserving person.
Old 04-09-2017, 12:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I've mentioned it before, but the obscure Nanny and the Professor from 1970 is little known and a nice little show I loved as a kid.

I liked this show, great cast too.
I was quite fond of that as a tiny Boods. That and Room 222. I was about 6 when it aired, and thought high school kids must be so cool. It's one of the reasons I wanted to be a teacher when I grew up.

A bonkers show that had me and my 7th grade friends enthralled was the Dracula segment of 1978/79 show called Cliffhangers.

Last edited by Ms Boods; 04-09-2017 at 12:18 PM.
Old 04-09-2017, 12:28 PM

The Hathaways. For some reason, a couple are raising some chimps as if they were their kids, with the expected consequences. I liked it because our next door neighbors for a while were named Hathaway.

Last edited by Son of a Rich; 04-09-2017 at 12:28 PM.
Old 04-09-2017, 12:54 PM
Just Lovely and Delicious
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodi View Post

Allo Allo: British comedy from the 80s about a café owner in France and his interactions with several quirky Germans. Probably more popular in the UK then here.

I've never actually watched it but no way this is one that nobody remembers. It was on PBS every day, three times a day, it seemed.