Old 04-18-2017, 07:15 AM

13 Reasons Why

I don't think there's already a thread about this . . .

Are any of you watching this Netflix original? I don't know what to make of it or how I feel about it. It's excellent in some ways and very CW teen schmaltz in others. I won't blather on if no one else has seen it but I'd like to hear what others think.
Advertisements  
Old 04-18-2017, 08:04 AM

I couldn't get past the first episode. As you said, a bit CW teen schmaltzy. In some ways it tries to shed some light on teen suicide and the effect of bullying, etc., but at the same time it comes off as kind of creepy as suicide is a completely rationale outcome for someone experiencing what she experienced...oh and by the way it's your fault that I killed myself. I'm not a fan of that message.
Old 04-18-2017, 08:11 AM
Charter Member

"CW"?
Old 04-18-2017, 08:17 AM

I agree with you about the CW teen schmaltz. I came through it with similar mixed feelings. Really though, the CW teen schmaltz audience was really who it was meant for, not us.
Old 04-18-2017, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thudlow Boink View Post
"CW"?
The CW is a TV network whose main demographic is stated as being 18-49 but is really more like 15-24.

I think the biggest issue is the voice over. It's as if they can't decide if Hannah is a victim or an avenging angel. I was going along, really engaged and then she starts talking all smug and tough on the tape. "Do as I say" "Listen to this all the way" or whatever it was. On the other hand, there are small moments that are really effective, such as when the parents go to clean out her locker and a devastated Kate Walsh wants to know why she has no stickers or decorations in hers. There's something so sad in her realization that her daughters empty locker is sort of a representation of the girl's life.
Old 04-18-2017, 09:08 AM

I finally got through it on the weekend, my wife and I joked that we could have read the book much faster.

Q- Are we spoilering this thread?
Old 04-18-2017, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky812 View Post
I finally got through it on the weekend, my wife and I joked that we could have read the book much faster.

Q- Are we spoilering this thread?
I didn't hide any of my comments because we obviously know going in that she's dead. I do think it'd be nice to not give anything away, though.

Something that I found distracting is that lead actress Katherine Langford reminds me of Chloe Grace Moretz if she dyed her hair. I knew it wasn't her yet I kept on obsessing about it and that kind of took me out of the moment.
Old 04-18-2017, 10:22 AM

I don't want to trivialize her "issues" with different people but some reasons were a lot weaker than others.

Other than the obvious suicide message, I'm hoping the message people take away from the series (and book) is that everyone experiences/perceives interactions differently.

Last edited by Sparky812; 04-18-2017 at 10:23 AM.
Old 04-18-2017, 12:15 PM
Charter Member

Word. It might as well be called "Hannah Baker presents: RASHOMON."

Or maybe "Hannah Baker Am A Camera."

Still, nice to see Nick Bottom getting TV work.

Last edited by kaylasdad99; 04-18-2017 at 12:15 PM.
Old 04-18-2017, 02:20 PM

I watched it but wasn't really impressed by it. I found myself really disliking most of the characters... including Hannah.
Old 04-19-2017, 05:20 AM

I enjoyed it, although felt it dragged a bit. The last two or three episodes were gripping, but they left too many deliberate unanswered questions - like they were deliberately setting up for a second series.

SPOILER:

Initially I was impressed they showed the suicide in graphic detail. That it was nothing romantic, that it was a harrowing, horrible, painful way to die. (Apparently in the book it's an overdose - a drift off to sleep and wake up scenario). I thought this might have deferred any criticism about it glorifying suicide. But apparently expert opinion is very, very much against the series. The way that it shows that she in a way "won" against her bullies by her actions could encourage others to do the same. The fact it never once mentions mental health issues.

Google "13 reasons why backlash" to read lots more.

Old 04-19-2017, 08:34 AM

I believe almost all of the 13 realized that because of their own demons, they did not handle their interactions with her well, especially if they'd have known how she had perceived them, hindsight being 20/20 and all that.

I don't think they stressed the point enough that, in the end, they all felt that what Hannah did was wrong. Especially Clay and Tony who began to recognize that they couldn't help her now but could help others.
Old 04-19-2017, 04:42 PM

I've heard mixed (though brief) reviews from several of my friends. Some said it is super heavy but good, others have said meh. It's on my list to watch, but since the words "CW" "tenn" and "schamltz" have been mentioned more than once here, Imma go ahead and take it off my list. Thanks!
Old 04-21-2017, 07:14 AM

I'm now up to episode 6 and its flaws are becoming clearer to me.

For one thing, the lead is gorgeous and shows not one whit of a lack of self confidence. I'm not saying attractive people are exempt from depression but in high school - for girls especially- your appearance plays a huge role in your self esteem, social standing , etc... so having someone who is far prettier than average play the role of a suicidal teen doesn't quite ring true. Also, unless I missed it, we've seen no problems at home / fights with her parents. Actually, they don't seem to be around so maybe the problem is neglect, but that isn't been portrayed either. Bottom line, what is supposed to be Hannah's major malfunction? Not to be flippant about such a serious subject but hey, the shows creators seem to be.

What a shame such a worthwhile subject ended up getting the hip, CW , teen soap treatment. It's as if the producers couldn't decide what show they wanted to make.
Old 04-21-2017, 07:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOOKINPANUB View Post
I'm now up to episode 6 and its flaws are becoming clearer to me.

For one thing, the lead is gorgeous and shows not one whit of a lack of self confidence. I'm not saying attractive people are exempt from depression but in high school - for girls especially- your appearance plays a huge role in your self esteem, social standing , etc... so having someone who is far prettier than average play the role of a suicidal teen doesn't quite ring true. Also, unless I missed it, we've seen no problems at home / fights with her parents. Actually, they don't seem to be around so maybe the problem is neglect, but that isn't been portrayed either. Bottom line, what is supposed to be Hannah's major malfunction? Not to be flippant about such a serious subject but hey, the shows creators seem to be.

What a shame such a worthwhile subject ended up getting the hip, CW , teen soap treatment. It's as if the producers couldn't decide what show they wanted to make.
I wonder if your view might change when you watch the rest. Mine did.

I think it's a pretty good treatment of the subject material. I am not by any means a fan of American-teen-highschool-anything, but I found it pretty compelling in the second half.
Old 04-21-2017, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangetout View Post
I wonder if your view might change when you watch the rest. Mine did.

I think it's a pretty good treatment of the subject material. I am not by any means a fan of American-teen-highschool-anything, but I found it pretty compelling in the second half.
I will definitely finish the series and I look forward to seeing how it plays out, as far as filling in the emotional gaps.

Also, if I haven't already mentioned it, Kate Walsh is superb in this.
Old 04-21-2017, 07:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOOKINPANUB View Post
I didn't hide any of my comments because we obviously know going in that she's dead. I do think it'd be nice to not give anything away, though.
I knew she was dead and I've only seen the short description that comes up when you select (but not play) a series. It didn't sound like my cuppa tea.
Old 04-21-2017, 07:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scougs View Post
I enjoyed it, although felt it dragged a bit. The last two or three episodes were gripping, but they left too many deliberate unanswered questions - like they were deliberately setting up for a second series.
It did seem to me that there is a door open for another series - there are potentially tragic futures for about a quarter of the characters.

There follows a bunch of serious spoilers about the episodes after halfway, as well as the ending - for people who have already watched the whole series.
If you're in the middle, then like Tony, I will recommend that you should continue with the tapes, one at a time...

SPOILER:

It's easy to see the sequence of events that led to her eventual decision to take her life - she just got knocked down again and again, too many times - and with increasing severity, to the extent she couldn't stand living any more.
To me, it was a study of how:
  • suicide is tragic, duh. (made somehow especially so by the fact that she was young, intelligent, vivacious)
  • even at the point where she felt it was most helpless, there could still have been a future with hope and happiness in it
  • some of the 'little' actions we do (or the things we omit to do) can be hurtful or damaging to others.
  • there's really no way to undo some things once they've done their damage