Old 04-21-2017, 06:05 AM
Charter Member

'Correct' way to prepare instant ramen noodles vs the way you do it

I'm quite a fan of instant ramen - I particularly like the hot and spicy ones when I am not feeling well.

But I think maybe I've been preparing them wrong for my whole life - this only occurred to me when I encountered the types of noodles that contain multiple different sachets, and I happened to read the preparation instructions.

NB: we're talking about the kind of instant ramen that are bought as a square, dry block, in a crimped plastic bag, containing one or more sachets of dried/powdered seasonings.

The way I've been doing it is: Put the noodles in a pan, add some water, add the contents of the flavour sachet, bring the boil and simmer a bit, stirring occasionally, then transfer the noodles into a bowl, with some or all of the liquid. I guess I always did this because it's analogous to the process of preparing instant noodle pots - everything is in there at the start.

But it seems that the right method is something like:
Boil the noodles in plain water
Prepare some of the flavour sachets separately as a soup or paste
Bring the plain noodles together with the soup/paste only when they are fully cooked.

So... which method do you use?
Old 04-21-2017, 06:20 AM

Put the noodles in a bowl
Add boiling water from the kettle
Let sit for 2 mins
Drain the water
Put in all the flavour sachets.

So, basically like the 'recommended' method, except without the 'boil separately' step, 'cos I can't be stuffed washing an extra pan. I figured if it works for a Pot Noodle it should work in my bowl - and it does
Old 04-21-2017, 07:49 AM

I boil water in a pot, just enough to saturate the noodles. In go the noodles, boil 'till saturated. If there's any extra water drain it off. Add salty bullion packet and stir thoroughly. Dump salty noodles into a bowl, and attack with a fork.
Old 04-21-2017, 08:02 AM
"Superstar"

Off to Cafe Society
Old 04-21-2017, 08:06 AM

Put some oil in a wok, get it good and hot. Crumble the ramen noodle block and drop a little at a time into the wok. As the noodles puff up push them off to the side and add more. While still hot sprinkle with a little brown sugar and the seasoning mix if you like.
Old 04-21-2017, 09:15 AM

I push a stick into the block and suck on it like a popsicle.
Old 04-21-2017, 09:19 AM
Charter Member

Wait - you're supposed to drain the water and just eat the noodles? I boil the noodles then add the seasoning packet and eat it like noodle soup.
Old 04-21-2017, 09:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
Wait - you're supposed to drain the water and just eat the noodles? I boil the noodles then add the seasoning packet and eat it like noodle soup.
That had always been my assumption (in part because of the words 'soup base' that are often printed on the flavour sachet) - but it seems the official method of preparation, even as a soup, is to boil the noodles first in plain water, then make the soup separately, and add the noodles.
I guess the soup is less starchy that way, but is that a good thing?

Last edited by Mangetout; 04-21-2017 at 09:27 AM.
Old 04-21-2017, 09:49 AM

1. Cook the noodles
  2. Place cooked noodles in bowl
  3. Dump flavored salt packet on top
  4. Fill bowl with noodle cooking water

This is mostly consistent with the instructions printed on the package of most instant ramen blocks I've ever had (most say to add the packet directly to the cooked noodles in the pot, but I add them to the serving bowl).

What brand are you using that instructs you to prepare the broth separately?
Old 04-21-2017, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
That's just the way I do it, because I don't want soup, I want salty noodles.
Old 04-21-2017, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriPolar View Post
Put some oil in a wok, get it good and hot. Crumble the ramen noodle block and drop a little at a time into the wok. As the noodles puff up push them off to the side and add more. While still hot sprinkle with a little brown sugar and the seasoning mix if you like.
Ooh - I like the way you think.

*making notes*
Old 04-21-2017, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCnDC View Post
  1. Cook the noodles
  2. Place cooked noodles in bowl
  3. Dump flavored salt packet on top
  4. Fill bowl with noodle cooking water
Forgot the last step: a dash of sesame oil, or chili garlic oil if I have any. A little extra fat makes a huge difference.
Old 04-21-2017, 10:13 AM

The Raman noodles I have are:

Boil two cups of water
Add noodle block
Cook for 3 minutes
Add seasoning packet, stir for 1 minute
Dump into bowl and eat.
Old 04-21-2017, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriPolar View Post
That does sound tasty.

My wife does something similar to make salad crispies. She’ll gently break the noodles up to keep them in bite-sized clusters, toss them with almonds, garlic, ˝ a seasoning packet and some other stuff… yumm! Most of it gets eaten before the salads are served.
Old 04-21-2017, 10:23 AM

Put noodles in bowl
Add two cups scalding hot tap water
Add an egg
Cover and microwave for three minutes
Add flavor packet, sprinkle with pepper
Eat as soup

When I'm feeling especially gourmet, I'll snip up a chive from the backyard into it.

Last edited by Jophiel; 04-21-2017 at 10:23 AM.
Old 04-21-2017, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972 View Post

Boil two cups of water
Add noodle block
Cook for 3 minutes
Dump into bowl and eat.
That is the way I do it except I add frozen mixed veggies to the water before boiling and add cut up pork with the noodles. I used to put bean sprouts on the finished soup in the bowl but they don't keep very long and I tend to eat Ramen noodles without planning. I also like to make a double portion and mix oriental and chili flavors.

I can not fathom why anyone would throw out the broth, it is so flavorful.
Old 04-21-2017, 10:46 AM

Open the package. Throw away all the seasoning packets. Eat the noodles dry.
Old 04-21-2017, 11:01 AM

I like my ramen al dente with a sharp flavor from the seasoning packet. So I boil just a little bit of water, enough to about half cover the block of ramen. Once boiling, I add the ramen and seasoning packet to the water. I do about 60 seconds per side, flipping it over since there's not enough water to cover the whole block.

Then I drain the water. It usually still has the shape of the block at this point but the noodles are soft enough to eat.
Old 04-21-2017, 11:18 AM

I make Ramen noodles three or four times a week. My method follows:

Bring 1/4 cup water to boil. Break off a 1 inch square of the noodles and drop it into the water. Place remaining noodles in a ziplock bag. Toss out the seasoning packets. Drain water from noodles. Give noodles to Rocco (our African Grey Parrot).

One packet of noodles lasts over a month.
Old 04-21-2017, 11:22 AM

Boil the block of noodles.
When about half-way done, gently pour in one scrambled egg.
Do not stir again.
Drain off most the water.
Stir in the salty-chickeny-goodness packet.
Shove in my mouth.
Curse myself for not waiting until it cools.

Last edited by MeanJoe; 04-21-2017 at 11:23 AM.
Old 04-21-2017, 11:33 AM
Charter Member

It's been years, but I pretty much only eat it soup style. If I'm using the whole seasoning packet, there needs to be about a cup or so of unabsorbed water in the bowl/pot. The few times I ate it with minimal water, about half the flavoring packet would do. I'm a bit surprised at how many people apparently use the whole seasoning packet for the drier style of noodles. I mean, I really like salt, but that's a lot of salt unless it's diluted.

When I was feeling fancy, I used to add eggs, vegetables, and other stuff to it.
Old 04-21-2017, 11:49 AM

Put the block in a bowl, add enough water until the noodles are just covered. Microwave for five minutes. Drain the hot water, then add some cold water to cool the noodles down a bit and to rinse off some of the oil. Pour off most of the water, add about a quarter of the flavor packet (adding the entire thing would be too salty, unless you have a lot of broth).
Old 04-21-2017, 02:14 PM

Some of these 'recipes' sound good but also like a lot of work for something that only costs a quarter.
Old 04-21-2017, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimballkid View Post
Some of these 'recipes' sound good but also like a lot of work for something that only costs a quarter.
25 cents?! You're overpaying. They're 10 for $1.00 'round here.
Old 04-21-2017, 02:42 PM

We can get them for that when they are on sale.

Truth be told, I very rarely ever buy the things. I'm probably the only person in the country to have ramen noodles go outdated.
Old 04-21-2017, 02:47 PM
Charter Member

Boil the block of noodles in water. (#1 Ramen: Indo Mee, 4 flavour packets!)

When noodles are almost done, toss into the pot, a few snow peas or carrots thinly sliced, a thinly sliced mushroom, and a small handful of bean sprouts or thinly sliced cabbage.

Strain out noodles plus veggies into bowl, using tongs, toss well. (Must choose, soup or just noodles, how much water to add!)

Add green onions, then meat, (any thinly sliced leftovers will do, only a small amount is needed, beef, chicken, pork, shrimp, all good!)

Top with chopped cilantro, and enjoy!

(Each ingredient need only be a small amount, cooks fast and all in one pot, cleanup is a snap. Doesn't get much better!)

(If you try this, you'll be sold, I'm pretty confident!)
Old 04-21-2017, 02:54 PM
Suspended

I shall inform the chef.
Old 04-21-2017, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimballkid View Post
I suppose that, if you eat enough Ramen out of choice or necessity, it's nice to dress it up a little in your own way.

I'm surprised more people don't add egg since I always thought that was a pretty common way to add a little extra texture and some protein. MeanJoe says he adds a scrambled egg but I always just cracked an egg into the water and let it soft boil as the noodles cooked.
Old 04-21-2017, 03:52 PM

I don't eat them much anymore, but when I did, I used a fair amount of water to boil them, then poured off most of it, and used the few tablespoons of starchy boiling water that were left to mix the flavor packet into. I prefer it to be more "flavored noodles" than "flavored broth with noodles".
Old 04-21-2017, 04:06 PM
Charter Member

Arggg, in editing I see I failed and left out a very important step.

Empty all flavour packets into the BOWL !

(Before dumping in the strained noodles and veggies, on top and mixing!)

Doh! A thousand pardons, I beg of you!

Last edited by elbows; 04-21-2017 at 04:08 PM.
Old 04-21-2017, 06:41 PM

My way is best described as anyway that gets them in contact with hot water long enough. It depends on what I am doing with them.

I don't necessarily use the flavor packet with them. Sometimes that's because I am using them as a quicker replacement for bean/rice noodles and using other sauces. Sometimes it's adding extra calories* to quick can of soup, sandwich, salad meal by adding the noodles into the soup.

* Yes, despite the implications of calories being something we focus on limiting, that's a thing for me. I can't eat for quite a while after I get up and am not a morning person. Breakfast is mostly a hypothetical concept for me except on days off. To avoid losing weight off my already scrawny frame, I need to get serious about eating the rest of the day.
Old 04-21-2017, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972 View Post

Boil two cups of water
Add noodle block
Cook for 3 minutes
Dump into bowl and eat.
This is what I have always done.

It's interesting to see alternative methods, though.
Old 04-21-2017, 06:54 PM

Seasonings on the bottom of the pan. Dry noodles on top. Very hot water just over the top of the noodles. On the heat just long enough for the water to bubble slightly and the noodles to get slightly soft. Stir the seasonings over the noodles. Mixture straight into bowls.
Old 04-21-2017, 07:13 PM
Charter Member

Put 1 1/2 to 2 cups of well-gelled homemade turkey broth into a smallish frying pan (best if the broth has a little turkey fat on the top). Add the block of noodles. Flip when the bottom is flexible. After it is all flexible, stir from time to time, watching as the broth reduces to a glaze. When you can flip the noodles and see a crust starting to form on the bottom, they're done.

These noodles are amazingly rich.
Old 04-21-2017, 07:27 PM

Put 1 cup of water to boil and add 1/2 packet of seasoning. Add a couple of drops of sesame oil and a tablespoon of chili oil. When comes to roiling boil, take off heat and add broken up noodles. You can mix an egg in the boiling water before the noodles if you like, which I do.

Break up noodles so they soak up as much as the flavored boiled water as possible. I don't usually eat ramen without the add ins.
Old 04-21-2017, 07:44 PM

I'd never make it on the stove. I use the microwave, and just enough water so that it will nearly all be absorbed. That way I can put the seasoning packet in it. Essentially, it's making your own noodle cup, but with more noodles.

If I did have to do it on the stove, there's no way I'd put the packet in the boiling water, as that would dilute it way too much. I've always been taught to use a lot of water when cooking noodles. Thinking about it, I believe I would make the noodles, pour out most of the water, then add the powder and thoroughly mix with what was left. Something more like macaroni and cheese.

(Well, except this non-dairy one I got where you HAD to mix it up ahead of time or you just got chunks of powder in everything. But that's what I get for not following direction on something I'd never made before.)

Last edited by BigT; 04-21-2017 at 07:45 PM.
Old 04-21-2017, 07:46 PM
Charter Member

Put the noodles and contents of the packet(s) into a 1-quart saucepan. Add water equal to the thickness of the noodle block. Bring to a boil, and tear apart the noodles with chopsticks. Stir until noodles are done. Drain the liquid into a cup, and drink it as a soup. Put the noodles in a bowl with a slice or two of American cheese and mix it up. Add Sriracha sauce, and eat with chopsticks.

No cheese if I happen to have some higher-quality ramen.
Old 04-21-2017, 07:48 PM

My usual method is pretty simple. Bring a cup and a half of water (along with about a tablespoon of sambal) to a boil. Put the block of noodles in the water, then dump about 2/3 of the seasoning packet in, and turn the noodle block over. Give it a poking stir to loosen the brick a bit, reduce the heat to medium, and simmer for 2 minutes. Remove noodles to a bowl, and let broth sit in the pot off heat for a couple of minutes to allow the broth and noodles to cool separately. Pour broth over the noodles, and slurp away.

If I want to fancy it up a bit, I'll slice a piece of Chinese sausage (lop cheung) or some char siu and add it at the same time I flip the noodles over, and also add some veg of some kind, depending on what's available. Shredded cabbage (either regular or nappa), bok choy, or even a handful of frozen peas are all fair game. And a final drizzle of sesame oil.
Old 04-21-2017, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scumpup View Post
Open the package. Throw away all the seasoning packets. Eat the noodles dry.
I did eat 'em "raw" in college sometimes. But I usually did sprinkle on the packet like salt as I ate. Too bland otherwise.

Come to think of it, both of my roommates did this. The first one is where I got the idea.

Also loving this egg idea. Sorta egg drop soup, right? I must try this next time I get the cup noodles I can eat.

Last edited by BigT; 04-21-2017 at 07:51 PM.
Old 04-21-2017, 08:22 PM

I boil 'em in the microwave with a lot of water.

The best thing I do to eat them is use chopsticks. People laugh, but it's so much easier.