Old 04-14-2017, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace57 View Post
We need an app for this.

Seriously.

Home Depot's web site tells you if an item is in stock and gives the aisle for a specific store.

Big grocery chains should do the same.

An App that let you choose the store. Enter cereal. And it says aisle 3A
Wal-Mart's app does this. It'll even tell you if an item is in stock in the store you're shopping in.
Advertisements  
Old 04-14-2017, 07:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Lebodnik View Post
Related to the subject matter of this thread:
I HATE when a grocery store has a reno/facelift and changes everything around!
Honestly, it takes me months and months to get my bearings again on some of those little things!
Yeah, our grocery store is shifting everything around right now. They used to have handouts with an index of what things were to be found where, I hope they'll do that again soon so I can sort my lists properly.
Old 04-14-2017, 07:50 AM
Charter Member

Snap-E-Tom brand tomato-green chili cocktail. I looked through several stores trying to find some when I had a jones for it to no avail. Yes, there's a spicy V-8 but it's not the same. Googled to make sure they still made the stuff (Del Monte said they did); considered ordering a case online but I don't drink it that often and was afraid it'd expire before I reached the end of it. Apparently there are others in the same boat.

Something like six months after my quest, looking for something else entirely, I saw in the Hispanic section, end of the section by a cap, top shelf, single-facing so it was two cans wide, with neither can showing the, um, tomato-red sombrero-wearing mascot, my prize. I'm sorry, but somehow I just didn't think of it as, you know, really Mexican.

The six-pack was a little dusty.

Last edited by DesertDog; 04-14-2017 at 07:51 AM.
Old 04-14-2017, 07:54 AM

Yeast. I looked ALL OVER the baking aisle. Up and down it, three times.

It was on a kiosk near the bacon. Of course. Because when I think yeast, I also think "bacon".

ETA: the store manager told me it was "so it wouldn't get warm". It was Massachusetts in January. I've bought yeast in Florida in August and it was kept in the baking aisle.

Last edited by GrumpyBunny; 04-14-2017 at 07:55 AM.
Old 04-14-2017, 08:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyBunny View Post
Yeast. I looked ALL OVER the baking aisle. Up and down it, three times.

It was on a kiosk near the bacon. Of course. Because when I think yeast, I also think "bacon".

ETA: the store manager told me it was "so it wouldn't get warm". It was Massachusetts in January. I've bought yeast in Florida in August and it was kept in the baking aisle.
I assume you're talking about the dry yeast and not the cake yeast (which usually or should be in the refrigerated section.) Yeah, a couple of times I have seen this, too. It should be in the baking aisle, but sometimes ends up in the prepackaged deli meats section for some reason.
Old 04-14-2017, 08:47 AM

There was a protein shake I was looking for at Safeway a few weeks ago. I knew they carried it, but there were 6 or 7 different places it could have been. Turned out, they stocked it in 2 different places within the same store. Same brand, same item, two separate locations.

Now, if you're looking for tofu, that might be anywhere (or nowhere)!
Old 04-14-2017, 08:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cochrane View Post
Wal-Mart's app does this. It'll even tell you if an item is in stock in the store you're shopping in.
Wegman's (a regional chain mostly in upstate and Western New York, and eastern Pennsylvania) has this, as well. Or at least on their website--not sure if they have an app, but it wouldn't surprise me. Target has one, too.
Old 04-14-2017, 08:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDog View Post
Snap-E-Tom brand tomato-green chili cocktail. .
I've never heard of that, but it sure sounds tasty! I wonder if it's even available anywhere in my area (Chicago.)
Old 04-14-2017, 10:04 AM

Some years ago, we were hosting dinner for some friends just before Christmas. My wife was baking a cake recipe she'd found in some gourmet magazine, which featured gold and silver "balls" as part of the frosting, made from fondant and dragees (a.k.a., the little gold and silver BBs that you used to put on Christmas cookies when you were a kid).

She sent me to the grocery store to pick up a number of the ingredients for the dinner, including the cake. I scoured the baking aisle (where other cake-decorating stuff was located), and could not find dragees. I went to a different grocery store -- no dragees there, either. I called my wife from store #2, and she was both disbelieving and despondent: "But...if I don't have those, how can I make this cake??"

I finally stopped at a specialty food store. They actually had dragees, but I noted, in large print, on the package: "Not a Food Product." I suppose that explains why traditional grocery stores don't carry them any more.
Old 04-14-2017, 10:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateur Barbarian View Post
Mincemeat. Even in season, it's on an obscure end cap or the lowest, dustiest shelf in baking or fillings.

This year, I was lucky enough to ask the store manager who was the only person who knew it was in a box in the back, request-only like condoms used to be.
Underlining added. That's an interesting sausage recipe you're using.
Old 04-14-2017, 10:41 AM

Scrapple. If they have it.

(I'm done mentioning scrapple. For a while, anyway. )
Old 04-14-2017, 10:55 AM
Charter Member

Scrapple's in the freezer section near the frozen breakfast sausage type stuff. Yum!
Old 04-14-2017, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burpo the wonder mutt View Post
Scrapple. If they have it.

(I'm done mentioning scrapple. For a while, anyway. )
My dad went bonkers for scrapple near the end of his life and spent a year trying different store-bought and butcher formulations, then various recipes he wrote away for, etc. Never was sure why. Never could like the stuff much, myself.
Old 04-14-2017, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dung Beetle View Post
Scrapple's in the freezer section near the frozen breakfast sausage type stuff. Yum!
Fellow Floridian! We must get together and split a slab. And make everybody else watch.

Quote:
My dad went bonkers for scrapple near the end of his life and spent a year trying different store-bought and butcher formulations, then various recipes he wrote away for, etc. Never was sure why. Never could like the stuff much, myself.
It's a benign obsession. Uh...gotta go; grocery shopping! (...near the frozen breakfast sausage type stuff.)
Old 04-14-2017, 12:22 PM

At one store I go to it's actually with cheese. At another it's by the lard in the baking aisle.

The thing I hate is my family will use it at most once per year, exactly 1 pound in a recipe. We wouldn't use it for anything else, and that's just something made once for a family tradition thing. However, several times I have only been able to find 2 lbs. So I waste money and "food."

That's really my biggest beef with most food shopping - if you can find something it's often in weird or uneven quantities. I need 16 oz of something for a recipe I'll never make again and it's only sold in 9 3/4 oz jars, or whatever.
Old 04-14-2017, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
If you're speaking of Velveeta, quite often, around here, it's not in a refrigerated section at all, but rather on the store shelves at room temperature.
Well, that's the thing, it is on a shelf, but it's the shelf on top of the refrigerated case, so often you're looking right at it but don't actually see it. Because it's not in the case, if you know what I mean..... Another thing: pepperoni is in its very own display case (unrefrigerated), packets and sticks, somewhere around there. Then there is sliced pepperoni in plastic containers elsewhere, refrigerated. Then there are sealed packets in the Italian food section on the shelf near the jars of artichoke hearts. Quite an adventure shopping, sometimes. Going to a whole different grocery store can be a real treasure hunt, nothing where you expect it to be.
Old 04-14-2017, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by actualliberalnotoneofthose View Post
At one store I go to it's actually with cheese. At another it's by the lard in the baking aisle.

The thing I hate is my family will use it at most once per year, exactly 1 pound in a recipe. We wouldn't use it for anything else, and that's just something made once for a family tradition thing. However, several times I have only been able to find 2 lbs. So I waste money and "food."

That's really my biggest beef with most food shopping - if you can find something it's often in weird or uneven quantities. I need 16 oz of something for a recipe I'll never make again and it's only sold in 9 3/4 oz jars, or whatever.
Or the reverse: you need 1 Teaspoon of baking powder for the one time a year you bake a cake and who needs Clabber Girl in a 3 lb can?
Old 04-14-2017, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Or the reverse: you need 1 Teaspoon of baking powder for the one time a year you bake a cake and who needs Clabber Girl in a 3 lb can?
Yep, exactly. I don't even want to think about how many different expired oils, spices, and every other baking thing I've gone through for something made once per year.
Old 04-14-2017, 12:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Fellow Floridian! We must get together and split a slab. And make everybody else watch.
I'll bring the Karo syrup!
Old 04-14-2017, 12:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dung Beetle View Post
When I've seen it (which, I admit, is in its home area of Pennsylvania), it's been at the deli counter, by the sausages and slab bacon and things of that nature ("charcuterie," I guess if we're using fancy terms.)
Old 04-14-2017, 12:55 PM

It's worth noting that grocery stores don't just move stuff around to keep the staff busy or because the manager has a great idea. Keeping the customer interested/intrigued/engaged or (your choice here) off-balance/searching/confused is called "product news" or "shelf news," and the players, practices and purpose make investment banking look like a kid's game.
Old 04-14-2017, 12:56 PM
Charter Member

My wife sent me to Fred Meyer with a list, and one of the things on there was "Kevita Lemon Cayenne drinks."

After wandering around the drink aisle, then the organic aisle, I finally gave up and asked someone. He had never heard of it and looked at me like I was crazy, or possibly from the future ("Phased plasma rifle in the 40-watt range")

He finally called in the big guns, the woman who knew where everything in the Fred Meyer Universe was, and she took me to a single fridge buried at the end of the bakery aisle that had nothing in it but Kevita.
Old 04-14-2017, 12:57 PM

Velveeta in my local store is on small wire stand next to the butcher's window. On that stand is sliced packaged pepperoni and velveeta products. It's just around the corner from the breakfast meats and right in front of the ground beef. I ponder this on occasion.

Coconut aminos. It's a sub for soy sauce with a little less sodium and no soy. I found it on the store's app. Aisle five. I faced an area approximately 4 feet wide and 7 feet tall with various Asian sauces and oils. I found coconut milk. Coconut water. Every stir fry sauce known to man. I checked the app to make sure I had the right store (I go to two different ones depending on whether I go after work or from home). Nothing. Finally, I decided they just hadn't updated the app. I'm walking away and at the end of the aisle, fifteen yards from the Asian foods section, I spy it. It was with the Walton's Farms dressings, shelf stable nut and soy milks, and gluten free stuff.

I confess also to having spent 20 frustrating minutes trying to find raisins in Walmart. Snacks. Unless you're a really gullible toddler, you KNOW raisins aren't a snack.
Old 04-14-2017, 01:56 PM

The Velveeta at my store is on an endcap by the dairy case next to the yogurt. I only know this because I buy yogurt almost every week and I stand there by the Velveeta display while deciding what yogurt flavors to buy.

Someone upthread mentioned Hershey's syrup. It's with the tea and hot cocoa between the coffee and cold cereals at my store, because that makes perfect sense.

I had an adventure just today trying to find baking soda. I figured it'd be in the baking supplies aisle with the flour and sugar. Nope... it was in with the oils and vinegar and salad dressings. I only found it because the bright orange box caught my eye.
Old 04-14-2017, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cochrane View Post
What it won't tell you is if the associate put the stock out or in the right place.
Old 04-14-2017, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeGee View Post
I confess also to having spent 20 frustrating minutes trying to find raisins in Walmart. Snacks. Unless you're a really gullible toddler, you KNOW raisins aren't a snack.

I think my store arbitrarily splits raisins between the baking section and the snack section based on the size of package. Come to think of it they also do that with nuts.
Old 04-14-2017, 02:22 PM

Any New Duncan Imperials fans?

Gizzards, Scrapple and Tripe!

The corollary to this thread is, which favorite product did your store just stop carrying?

I'm sure we've done this before, but I'm still grieving the loss of Edy's Espresso Chip!
Old 04-14-2017, 03:09 PM
Charter Member

Speaking of Velveeta...

We used to have a locally made brand of salsa called Senor Stan's. It was in the Mexican aisle with all the other salsas and picante sauces. Then the owner died, and there was some indecision as to whether the rest of the family would carry on, and Senor Stan's disappeared from the shelves.

Then a few months later, it was back! They had apparently decided to go back into production. But then a few months after that it disappeared again, and I assumed they had shut down for good.

Cut to a few months later, when I decided I was going to make some rotel dip for Super Bowl Sunday and needed to buy some Velveeta. The Velveeta is on an end cap near the dairy section, along with the grated Parmesan and some other stuff. And what do I see on the shelf above the Velveeta but a whole array of Senor Stan's! Why the hell they decided to stock it with the cheese, on the other side of the store from the rest of the salsas, I have never figured out. But at least now I know where to find it.
Old 04-14-2017, 03:26 PM
Charter Member

Lard- 4 different store people were reasonably sure that they had it somewhere. No one was exactly sure where.
Also wonton wrappers. No one seems to know where they live (dairy/eggs? pasta? asian food aisle? some other place? Last time they were with the mushrooms - the store people didn't know that one either, though someone must have put them there at one time or another)
Old 04-14-2017, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
We used to have a locally made brand of salsa called Senor Stan's. It was in the Mexican aisle with all the other salsas and picante sauces. Then the owner died, and there was some indecision as to whether the rest of the family would carry on, and Senor Stan's disappeared from the shelves.

Then a few months later, it was back! They had apparently decided to go back into production.
Exactly the same thing happened with Woody's Cookin' Sauce. When it went out of production, I went around to every nearby store in the chain and bought the last six or so bottles I thought I'd ever see. By the time I was down to the last, the family had started up again.

Great sauce - not BBQ, but spicy black pepper smokehouse.
Old 04-14-2017, 03:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Great sauce - not BBQ, but spicy black pepper smokehouse.
So peppery and smoky? I'm trying to get a sense here of the flavor. It sounds like a peppery barbecue sauce. (I'm not trying to be a dick--I'm just trying to figure out what is meant here by the description.)

ETA: AH, nevermind. I ordered it so I'll find out soon enough.

Last edited by pulykamell; 04-14-2017 at 03:36 PM.
Old 04-14-2017, 05:28 PM

in the bag, dad, by the bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenobi 65 View Post
My wife was baking a cake recipe she'd found in some gourmet magazine, which featured gold and silver "balls" as part of the frosting, made from fondant and dragees (a.k.a., the little gold and silver BBs that you used to put on Christmas cookies when you were a kid).
Thank you. We now could all be one step closer to winning Final Jeopardy, if we could dredge up the answer in time. This all is an enjoyable trip, Velveeta onward, through a 10,001 item supermarket, and I have been wondering when we would meet Herb Caen. For those reading this revived thread in 2032, or if our shelf life is longer than Velveeta's, here is a perhaps still-valid link.
Old 04-14-2017, 05:44 PM

Quote:
So peppery and smoky? I'm trying to get a sense here of the flavor. It sounds like a peppery barbecue sauce. (I'm not trying to be a dick--I'm just trying to figure out what is meant here by the description.)

Bwah-ha-haaaa.

It's a tasty hickory smoke sauce with a heavy hand on the black pepper. No sugar or molasses or such. No tomatoes. Just brown, smoky, peppery goodness.
Old 04-14-2017, 05:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Bwah-ha-haaaa.

It's a tasty hickory smoke sauce with a heavy hand on the black pepper. No sugar or molasses or such. No tomatoes. Just brown, smoky, peppery goodness.
OK. I do a barbecue sauce that sound somewhat like that, though I'm guessing not quite as peppery. I'll be curious to check it out. Was something like $15 with shipping and handling, but it does say "barbecue concentrate" on it, so hopefully it'll go far.
Old 04-14-2017, 06:00 PM

It's pretty intense stuff. I use about a quarter cup with oil and other stuff to coat chicken or tri-tip. A jar should see you through at least four or five recipes.

Last edited by Amateur Barbarian; 04-14-2017 at 06:01 PM.
Old 04-14-2017, 06:09 PM
Charter Member

I'm looking forward to it, being a black pepper lover.
Old 04-14-2017, 06:49 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

I considered starting a thread like this several months ago. There are several items that I often have trouble finding.

1. Lard is sometimes in the refrigerated case with the margarine and butter but sometimes in the same aisle as the Crisco and vegetable oil.

2. Jars of ice cream topping (hot fudge sauce, caramel sauce, etc) are sometimes in the ice cream aisle (or at the end of the aisle) and sometimes in the candy aisle and sometimes in the baking aisle and sometimes in none of those places.

3. Honey is sometimes with the sugar and molasses and sometimes with the pancake syrup and sometimes neither.

4. Bouillon cubes should be in the soup aisle, but often aren't.

5. Cans and jars of sauerkraut are sometimes with the canned vegetables and sometimes with the pickles and relishes. The plastic bags of sauerkraut are in a refrigerated case but good luck guessing which one.

6. Candied fruit and dried figs and dates should be with the raisins (if you're lucky enough to find the raisins) but often they're off in some random location you'd never think of looking in.
Old 04-14-2017, 07:20 PM
The Turtle Moves!
Charter Member

Quote:
Damn the both of you. So did I.
Old 04-14-2017, 07:20 PM

Coconut oil doesn't live with all the other oils. It prefers snuggling up with the popcorn on the other side of the store near coffee.

One big store had all its gluten free food in one section near the door. Very convenient; I could shop really quickly. Then the store was rearranged and the gluten free food was scattered all over the entire store. I changed stores. And I'm still looking for capers.
Old 04-14-2017, 07:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenus View Post
Any additions to silenus's curated hot sauce collection for 2017? That Yellowbird Serrano sauce has become my default hot sauce. (At first, it was their habanero, but over time, the green one grew on me.)
Old 04-14-2017, 08:15 PM
The Turtle Moves!
Charter Member

Last year I added Dexter Holland's Gringo Bandito to the rotation. It sounds like a vanity sauce slammed together to satisfy a musician's whim, but Gustavo Arellano devotes a healthy amount of pages to it in his book Taco USA.

Good stuff. I still live on the Yellowbird Hab though.
Old 04-15-2017, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Girlfriend View Post
The Velveeta at my store is on an endcap by the dairy case next to the yogurt. I only know this because I buy yogurt almost every week and I stand there by the Velveeta display while deciding what yogurt flavors to buy.

Someone upthread mentioned Hershey's syrup. It's with the tea and hot cocoa between the coffee and cold cereals at my store, because that makes perfect sense.

I had an adventure just today trying to find baking soda. I figured it'd be in the baking supplies aisle with the flour and sugar. Nope... it was in with the oils and vinegar and salad dressings. I only found it because the bright orange box caught my eye.
Maybe the stocker only knew baking soda as what you add to vinegar to make volcanos. Or clean sinks. Thus, like peanut butter and jelly, they should be shelved together.
Old 04-15-2017, 08:47 AM

I've gone on Velveeta quests, I use it in mac & cheese too.

I once found it sitting high atop the meat counter (not even on a shelf, just on top of the display case).

It couldn't have been more randomly placed.

mmm
Old 04-15-2017, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Was something like $15 with shipping and handling...
Amazon has it for about $25 a six pack.
Quote:
Originally Posted by silenus View Post
Bwah ha. And ha.

Happy to have the stuff around to suggest. It was a lesser world while it was gone.
Old 04-15-2017, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatever4 View Post
<snip> And I'm still looking for capers.
Look with the pickles and olives... at least that's where I find them.
Old 04-15-2017, 11:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Amazon has it for about $25 a six pack.
The best I found was $27 for a 3-pack, and I didn't want three. Plus there were shipping charges on it, and mine was $15 inclusive. The six pack I can find is $50. I just wanted the cheapest, single bottle I could find.
Old 04-15-2017, 12:01 PM

Quote:
The best I found was $27 for a 3-pack, and I didn't want three. Plus there were shipping charges on it, and mine was $15 inclusive. The six pack I can find is $50. I just wanted the cheapest, single bottle I could find.
It comes and goes in pricing. I buy that, and boysenberry jam, in six or so packs and the price varies from around $3-4 a jar to $YuckFoo, sometimes within days.
Old 04-15-2017, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace57 View Post
We need an app for this.

Seriously.

Home Depot's web site tells you if an item is in stock and gives the aisle for a specific store.

Big grocery chains should do the same.

An App that let you choose the store. Enter cereal. And it says aisle 3A
Lowes stocks the Velveeta next to the spackling paste.
Old 04-15-2017, 12:57 PM
Charter Member

Store cashier here. I know where everything is, mostly because I know the category of every aisle.

Our standard answer to "Where is (whatever)" is "If we have it, it's in aisle (whatever)." If I really know where it is (about 50& of the time), I give very concise directions "A silverware tray? Aisle 2, in the back on the left." It's very impressive, and I used to wonder how people did that.

In other words, get them in the aisle. They'll probably find something they'll want to buy.
Old 04-15-2017, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Girlfriend View Post
Yeah, that makes no sense because who puts oil or vinegar in their fridge to eliminate orders?