Old 04-15-2017, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyBunny View Post
Yeast. I looked ALL OVER the baking aisle. Up and down it, three times.

It was on a kiosk near the bacon. Of course. Because when I think yeast, I also think "bacon".

ETA: the store manager told me it was "so it wouldn't get warm". It was Massachusetts in January. I've bought yeast in Florida in August and it was kept in the baking aisle.
Yeast is the first thing I thought of when I saw the thread title. Even when it is in the aisle you are looking in, it's easy to overlook because the display is so small.
Advertisements  
Old 04-15-2017, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambivalid View Post
Marshmallow Fluff.
Been looking for it since I became an adult. Beginning to think I dreamed it.
Old 04-15-2017, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie-Xmas View Post
Store cashier here. I know where everything is, mostly because I know the category of every aisle.
You're assuming everything is in a category. What category is Velveeta in?

Try finding x-bran in our store for various x's. No two are in the same area.

Here's another one: straws. Looked on the shelves with paper plates, plastic silverware, etc. Not there. Asked a clerk. Pointed us to the soda aisle. Had "goofy" straws only. Etc.

And pointing to a general area isn't helpful. It's very hard to find something that's the only one of it's type mixed in with hundreds of other things.

Another tale, while I'm at it. There was an ad for some sort of Asian thing. Mrs. FtG wanted it. Couldn't find it in the store. Not one person we asked had even heard of it, let alone knew where it was. It was in their ad!
Old 04-15-2017, 04:23 PM

Pepperoni. Plain old Hormel Pepperoni.

So far its been with the deli meats, side of an endcap, and in the pasta aisle.
Old 04-16-2017, 12:56 PM
Charter Member

Either my store doesn't carry Shake N Bake or they've really hidden it. Hollandaise sauce also.

Took me awhile to find the Velveeta too.

Last edited by furryman; 04-16-2017 at 12:57 PM.
Old 04-16-2017, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simster View Post
What it won't tell you is if the associate put the stock out or in the right place.
I haven't had that problem at the Wal-Mart where I shop.
Old 04-16-2017, 06:32 PM

I spent ten minutes wandering around Shaws on Friday only to discover they keep tomato sauce and spaghetti sauce in different aisles...
Old 04-16-2017, 06:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nzinga, Seated View Post
Been looking for it since I became an adult. Beginning to think I dreamed it.
Hmmm...I'm intrigued now. I could swear it's just there in the peanut butter aisle, but, I admit, I haven't actually bought any, well, ever. Tried it once as a kid. But I swear I've seen it. I have to look the next time I'm out shopping. This could just be one of those fabricated memories.

ETA: Although, just quickly looking online, it seems that most people say it's located in the baking aisle. WTF would they put it there? Are there pies or cakes you bake with it? (The fact that I'm asking this question probably means the answer is "yes," but I've only heard of it being used as a spread for fluffernutters, hence being located near the peanut butter.)

Last edited by pulykamell; 04-16-2017 at 06:50 PM.
Old 04-16-2017, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
I assume you're talking about the dry yeast and not the cake yeast (which usually or should be in the refrigerated section.) Yeah, a couple of times I have seen this, too. It should be in the baking aisle, but sometimes ends up in the prepackaged deli meats section for some reason.
Yes; the dry yeast, not cake yeast. I make three bread recipes a year (lately), and so the threebie of the yeast works perfectly. So weird.

Quote:
ETA: Although, just quickly looking online, it seems that most people say it's located in the baking aisle. WTF would they put it there? Are there pies or cakes you bake with it? (The fact that I'm asking this question probably means the answer is "yes," but I've only heard of it being used as a spread for fluffernutters, hence being located near the peanut butter.)
Fudge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateur Barbarian View Post
It's worth noting that grocery stores don't just move stuff around to keep the staff busy or because the manager has a great idea. Keeping the customer interested/intrigued/engaged or (your choice here) off-balance/searching/confused is called "product news" or "shelf news," and the players, practices and purpose make investment banking look like a kid's game.
It's irritating.

I suppose that's why some Einstein moved the condensed/evaporated milk from the baking aisle to the coffee aisle. Because when I think "condensed milk", I think, "coffee".

Last edited by GrumpyBunny; 04-16-2017 at 06:54 PM.
Old 04-16-2017, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enipla View Post
Pearl Barley.

Hmm, it's a grain... no, it's not with the flour and stuff. They put it with the spices.
Did you try the jazz singers section?

Seriously, Wet Ones. Not with the baby wipes. Usually with the facial tissues.
Old 04-17-2017, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sitchensis View Post
I think my store arbitrarily splits raisins between the baking section and the snack section based on the size of package. Come to think of it they also do that with nuts.
Actually the nuts thing makes sense as some are nuts for baking and others are nuts for snacking.
Old 04-17-2017, 11:42 AM

A couple of weeks ago I had to buy two things I have never before purchased in my life, dry mustard powder and molasses.

Well I just happened to be at probably THE biggest grocery store in Ottawa at the time. This store even has its own kosher section, which may be popular in some US cities, but not here.

It took me forever to find both, and I asked for help. The customer service girl knew exactly where the molasses would be, and I had been down that isle, but it is stored on the top shelf only, at about 6 feet.

It took me and two other employees to find the mustard. It was near the other spices and stuff but in a little can about the size of a three Lego pieces.
Old 04-17-2017, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyBunny View Post
It's irritating.

I suppose that's why some Einstein moved the condensed/evaporated milk from the baking aisle to the coffee aisle.
Yes. Many Einsteins, in fact, most with degrees in behavioral psych, accompanied by big data AIs and all the data that endless tracking of you has provided.

Shelf news used to be a store-by-store or chain-by-chain practice, with each manager or company having their own combination of known facts, voodoo and hunch about how to arrange and rearrange things. It's now an increasingly data- and science-driven process using that enormous flood of consumer/shopper data, and it varies from stuff published in the trade journals and related ABA journals to sooper-seekrit findings held closely by one corporation or another.

In anything but the smallest mom'n'pop or independent grocer, it's very likely that not one product is in that place through chance or whim. Condensed milk is by coffee because that's where it sells the most. Period.
Old 04-17-2017, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elfkin477 View Post
I spent ten minutes wandering around Shaws on Friday only to discover they keep tomato sauce and spaghetti sauce in different aisles...
Spaghetti sauce and pizza sauce are strictly segregated here. I always forget and have to search and search.
Old 04-17-2017, 01:25 PM
Charter Member

I can usually find Velveeta near the pasta, because they tend to store it near those cans of sawdust they call "parmesan".

Marshmallow fluff has always been in the baking aisle, usually close to the regular ol' marshmallows.

Raisins and other dried fruit, however, were moved recently in the store I frequent, and the move makes no sense to me. The dried fruit used to be in the aisle with other fruit, between the canned fruit and the fruit snacks. Now, it's been moved to be by the jelly. The jelly? Really? The jelly is next to the peanut butter and opposite a whole wall of bread. What is the thinking here? What do these products have to do with each other? No one is putting dried cranberries on their sandwich!
Old 04-17-2017, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaffan View Post
It took me and two other employees to find the mustard. It was near the other spices and stuff but in a little can about the size of a three Lego pieces.
It's a staple for my wife's cooking repertoire, and so, I've had to learn both what the can looks like (and it *must* be Colman's), as well as where to find it.
Old 04-17-2017, 01:59 PM

I finally found raisins. They're near salad toppings, like croutons and bacon bits.
Old 04-17-2017, 02:12 PM

I thought of another hard, near impossible to find item: anchovies. There not with the other canned fish, like tuna and salmon, because they -- for some unknown reason -- need to be refrigerated. So, they're with the packaged sushi! Of course!
Old 04-17-2017, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Torque View Post
Raisins and other dried fruit, however, were moved recently in the store I frequent, and the move makes no sense to me. The dried fruit used to be in the aisle with other fruit, between the canned fruit and the fruit snacks. Now, it's been moved to be by the jelly. The jelly? Really? The jelly is next to the peanut butter and opposite a whole wall of bread. What is the thinking here? What do these products have to do with each other? No one is putting dried cranberries on their sandwich!
What's likely is that items that are a category unto themselves (e.g., Velveeta, Marshmallow Fluff) or in a very tiny group (e.g., raisins and dried fruit), which don't have a clear "sister" category for shelving (due to how they're used, or need for refrigeration / freezing) are effectively orphans when grocery stores plan out their shelving, and wind up getting stuck wherever there's a bit of extra space. And, thus, you get placement that can be both nonsensical, as well as maddeningly inconsistent from store to store.

Last edited by kenobi 65; 04-17-2017 at 02:13 PM.
Old 04-17-2017, 02:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I thought of another hard, near impossible to find item: anchovies. There not with the other canned fish, like tuna and salmon, because they -- for some unknown reason -- need to be refrigerated. So, they're with the packaged sushi! Of course!
That's weird. Here I've only seen them with the other canned fish. Never seen them refrigerated. They might also end up in the Italian imports aisle (or a subsection of them might end up there, I should say.)
Old 04-17-2017, 02:57 PM

When the people that own the grocery store I work for built a new store, they had the warehouse people come in and set it. Some of the things they did made no sense, like having two brands of fry bread mix with each in a different aisle. Over the years, the owners have cut things and rearranged things so they make some sort of sense and are more beneficial to our clientele.
Old 04-17-2017, 03:00 PM

Many years ago, the San Francisco Chronicle columnist Herb Caen had a great time for days when a reader reported finding Velveeta in the gourmet foods section of a grocery store in Chico, CA.
Old 04-17-2017, 03:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Hmmm...I'm intrigued now. I could swear it's just there in the peanut butter aisle, but, I admit, I haven't actually bought any, well, ever. Tried it once as a kid. But I swear I've seen it. I have to look the next time I'm out shopping. This could just be one of those fabricated memories.

Well, I just checked, and we do have it, in the baking section next to the packaged marshmallows and frosting. So I guess it does make some sense.

Incidentally, I was amused to see that "condensed milk," which others have commented on, actually does get its own place on the overhead aisle signage (which only has room for four items). It's in the baking aisle, too.

Last edited by pulykamell; 04-17-2017 at 03:05 PM.
Old 04-17-2017, 04:07 PM
Charter Member

64-ounce containers of orange juice.

64-ounce containers of ice cream.

32-ounce jars of mayonnaise.

Diet Mountain Dew in a six-pack of 20-ounce bottles.

Lark's tongues in aspic.
Old 04-17-2017, 04:49 PM

Quote:
a little can about the size of a three Lego pieces.
Are you going to tell us what size Lego pieces?
Old 04-17-2017, 05:02 PM

I was in Publix today, shopping, and have to admit that finding a brick of Velveeta was beyond my capability. Sliced Velveeta was in with the other sliced American cheeses and cheese foods. God alone knows where the bricks of Velveeta were.
Old 04-17-2017, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSYoungEsq View Post
I was in Publix today, shopping, and have to admit that finding a brick of Velveeta was beyond my capability. Sliced Velveeta was in with the other sliced American cheeses and cheese foods. God alone knows where the bricks of Velveeta were.
I know exactly where Publix hides it's brick Velveeta.

...but, I ain't sayin', 'cause too much demand would lead to increased price, or worse, Velveeta shortages.

...then, how could I make my authentic Philly Cheesesteak sandwiches? (sure, technically they should be made with Cheez Wiz, but really, is there any difference?).
Old 04-17-2017, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Well, I just checked, and we do have it, in the baking section next to the packaged marshmallows and frosting. So I guess it does make some sense.

Incidentally, I was amused to see that "condensed milk," which others have commented on, actually does get its own place on the overhead aisle signage (which only has room for four items). It's in the baking aisle, too.
Bet the chocolate chips were nearby also.

Marshmallow fluff, evaporated milk, chocolate chips and sugar (which would also be in the baking aisle, typically) are the main ingredients for No-fail Fudge, which is the destiny of a lot of the marshmallow fluff purchased.
Old 04-17-2017, 06:38 PM

Quote:
No silly, you find it in the baking aisle, with the condensed milk and sugar and chocolate chips because fluff is the main ingredient to the world's best fudge. No, seriously, that's what it's called: pick up one of the big containers, and that recipe will be right on the back. Well, assuming it's real Marshmallow Fluff and not the abomination also known as Kraft Jet-Puffed Marshmallow Crème.
Old 04-17-2017, 09:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elfkin477 View Post
No silly, you find it in the baking aisle, with the condensed milk and sugar and chocolate chips because fluff is the main ingredient to the world's best fudge. No, seriously, that's what it's called: pick up one of the big containers, and that recipe will be right on the back. Well, assuming it's real Marshmallow Fluff and not the abomination also known as Kraft Jet-Puffed Marshmallow Crème.
Yes, yes. It was the Real Deal Marshmallow Fluff (although they also had the Kraft stuff that I had never heard of there, too.) I'll have to give this a try one day.
Old 04-17-2017, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tibby or Not Tibby View Post

...but, I ain't sayin', 'cause too much demand would lead to increased price, or worse, Velveeta shortages.

...then, how could I make my authentic Philly Cheesesteak sandwiches? (sure, technically they should be made with Cheez Wiz, but really, is there any difference?).
Huh. Velveeta hiders, who'da thunk???
Old 04-18-2017, 12:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

I thought Philly Cheesesteak sandwiches were made with Philadelphia cream cheese ("Philly", as it's known far and wide).
Old 04-18-2017, 12:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylasdad99 View Post
I thought Philly Cheesesteak sandwiches were made with Philadelphia cream cheese ("Philly", as it's known far and wide).
No, they are not. I'm not sure I've ever seen a Philly cheesesteak with cream cheese.
Old 04-18-2017, 12:50 PM
The Turtle Moves!
Charter Member

Quote:
No, they are not. I'm not sure I've ever seen a Philly cheesesteak with cream cheese.
Well, not more than once. That kind of stuff is a Capital Crime.
Old 04-18-2017, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaguri View Post
Target keeps it in the refrigerated case for some reason.
Every single grocery around here puts "block" Velveeta cheese product right by all the other ordinary cheese products (e.g. cream cheese, individually-wrapped cheese slices, etc.) in the refrigerator case. Many stores around here also have a high-end cheese section at or near the deli.
Old 04-19-2017, 11:14 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateur Barbarian View Post
Bwah-ha-haaaa.

It's a tasty hickory smoke sauce with a heavy hand on the black pepper. No sugar or molasses or such. No tomatoes. Just brown, smoky, peppery goodness.
OK, just got in the mail today. The one I have (It says "Woody's Cook-in Suace" on the front.)) definitely has tomatoes in it, though. It's the second ingredient (tomato paste) right after water. Also sugar, but it's not "sweet." Definitely quite strong on the hickory smoke flavor. It's what I would call barbecue sauce, but I can see why you want to put it into a separate category. I'll be interested to try it on some grilled chicken or pork chops. My first impression is that is where it would shine. It's kinda sorta what I imagined it to be, but a little less peppery. Reminds me of an Owensboro black pepper, vinegar & Worcestershire barbecue sauce/mop cut with a tomato paste and smoke flavor. You know, come to think of it, this would be good on lamb.

Last edited by pulykamell; 04-19-2017 at 11:17 AM.
Old 04-19-2017, 11:28 AM
The Turtle Moves!
Charter Member

Quote:
OK, just got in the mail today. The one I have (It says "Woody's Cook-in Sauce" on the front.) Definitely has tomatoes in it, though. It's the second ingredient (tomato paste) right after water. Also sugar, but it's not "sweet." Definitely quite strong on the hickory smoke flavor. It's what I would call barbecue sauce, but I can see why you want to put it into a separate category. I'll be interested to try it on some grilled chicken or pork chops. My first impression is that is where it would shine.
Mine arrived yesterday, and pork or chicken was the very first thing I thought of to use it on. Just got a new grill, so I think chicken is on the menu for the weekend!
Old 04-19-2017, 11:49 AM
Charter Member

And to answer the OP's question, since I didn't know off the top of my head where it's located in my grocery:

It's in the "prepared foods" aisle next to the macaroni & cheese products. Cheeze Whiz is sold next to it. Hamburger Helper is the next item along on the aisle, after the mac & cheese. The pasta aisle is a separate one. No Velveeta there. Nor in the coolers. (Just checked those as sometimes you can find the same product in two places.)
Old 04-19-2017, 12:08 PM

Saltine crackers.

You think they'd be in the cracker/chips aisle?

Nope, with the soups. I understand it's something that goes with soup, but you'd think a cracker would be in the cracker aisle.
Old 04-19-2017, 12:44 PM

Bisquick.

I expect to find it with the flour, sugar, and other baking supplies, but nope. Two aisles over with pancake mix, grits, jams, and syrup.
Old 04-19-2017, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burpo the wonder mutt View Post
I have trouble finding vinegar . I know! Different stores have it in different locations. No signs for it. And either it flies off the shelf, or they don't keep much on hand. Or both.
Check by the restrooms.

You know, piss & vinegar.
Old 04-19-2017, 01:18 PM

^ I'm filled with piss and vinegar! At first, I was just filled with vinegar.
Old 04-19-2017, 01:26 PM

Same problem here. I used to tell my wife that I think they move the Velveeta on a weekly basis. I started keeping notes on my phone on where I found it. My loving wife would roll her eyes, until, yes, UNTIL I showed her that last month it was in x aisle and now it's in y aisle (yes, I took pictures....). She started paying attention and finally came to the same conclusion. The ONLY time it's easy to find is around Superbowl, then it's in every aisle, several endcaps and a pyramid or two next to the chips.
Old 04-19-2017, 02:22 PM

Is there anything more difficult to find in a grocery store than Velveeta?

Aisle 2, top shelf on your right about half-way down.

Last edited by Kimballkid; 04-19-2017 at 02:23 PM.
Old 04-19-2017, 02:39 PM
Charter Member

Mine is in the refrigerated case, between the sliced package cheese and the fresh pasta. AND, the bottled horseradish is on the top (refrigerated) shelf above the cheeses.
Old 04-19-2017, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylasdad99 View Post
Seriously? You've never had a philly cheesesteak? Dude, WTF?
Old 04-19-2017, 08:11 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSYoungEsq View Post
Huh. Velveeta hiders, who'da thunk???
HAH! Found it!!! Should have known it would be with the rest of the "fake cheese": Kraft "Parmesan" cheese, "Cheeze Whiz", etc.
Old 04-19-2017, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinastasia View Post
Seriously? You've never had a philly cheesesteak? Dude, WTF?
He hasn't had the joyous experience of standing for 1.5 hours in a line winding around Pat's or Geno's, so he can get to the front of the line and say, "Whiz wit"!
Old 04-19-2017, 08:54 PM
Charter Member

I've never understood why the really large grocery stores don't put certain foods in more than one place: Parmesan cheese with the other cheeses and near the spaghetti sauce, Velveeta with the cheese and with the pasta, evaporated milk with the coffee and the baking stuff, Fluff with the ice cream, baking stuff and Jam/peanut butter (for the famous Fluffernutter sandwich.) Salsa with Hispanic foods and with the chips, crackers with crackers and with the soups/stews.

Sweetened condensed milk (aka Eagle brand milk) is really only used for baking/desserts, IME, so it seems ok to me to look for it there.

Grated, bottled horseradish has been something I have had to ask help to find. Finally, with guidance, found it with the cheeses. ????
Old 04-19-2017, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cub Mistress View Post
I've never understood why the really large grocery stores don't put certain foods in more than one place
Demand for shelf space in grocery stores is incredibly high. Last year, over 21,000 new food and beverage items were introduced in the U.S. For every new item that your grocery store carries, some other item has to get bumped from the shelf, and manufacturers almost always have to pay retailers ("slotting fee") to get their products on the shelf.

If a grocery store shelves a particular item in more than one place (other than the "end of aisle" displays, which are usually for short-term promotions), it'd almost undoubtedly be because the manufacturer specifically paid extra slotting fees to get that product in both places. It'd be handy for consumers, but very few manufacturers would feel that they'd get enough additional sales from it to justify the extra slotting fee expense.

Last edited by kenobi 65; 04-19-2017 at 09:27 PM.