Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #51  
Old 04-18-2017, 07:26 PM
Spice Weasel Spice Weasel is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Michigan
Posts: 15,448
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
A classic example of a commercial with an unintended subtext would be Geritol's old "My wife, I think I'll keep her!" campaign, which aroused the anger of feminists.

I think even the makers of Geritol are embarrassed by it now. I tried searching for an example to link to, but I couldn't find one. But given the amount of old 70s/80s-era ads that are on youtube, I thought it was strange that not a single one was available, as if they'd been scrubbed off the net.
There's a country song by Mary Chapin Carpenter that references this commercial with a feminist spin. It's called "He thinks he'll keep her.''

SPOILER! He doesn't.

Last edited by Spice Weasel; 04-18-2017 at 07:29 PM.
Advertisements  
  #52  
Old 04-20-2017, 08:08 PM
digs digs is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: West of Wauwatosa
Posts: 7,190
Back in 1964, long before parroting memes was, well, a meme... we spoke in commercial punchlines.

My mom would do something, and my dad would sigh "My wife, I think I'll keep her!"
Us kids kept yelling at her to elbow him in the ribs, but she played along, beaming like a bimbo 60's housewife.

We also spouted lines like "That's a spicy meeeeatball..." Or "I can't believe I ate the whole thing..." and later "Where's the beef?"

Wow, we were bored...
  #53  
Old 04-21-2017, 07:37 PM
tenacious j tenacious j is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: in the middle
Posts: 862
Quote:
Originally Posted by nearwildheaven View Post
How about all the references to "farm grown potatoes"? Where are commercial potatoes USUALLY grown, anyway?
Exactly.

I keep hearing this radio ad for the genetic background test 23 & Me on the way home every day. In it, 2 people are talking and the woman keeps telling the man things like "I can't eat ice cream because my genes are inclined toward lactose intolerance", "I should go to bed early because my genes indicate I don't sleep well," etc.

My takeaway is that having this information will make me even more neurotic than I already am and afraid to live my life. Also, people who use their service are too dumb to use their own experience instead of mail-away test results to dictate how to live.
I wonder why her test didn't tell her she was too easily influenced.
  #54  
Old 04-21-2017, 07:58 PM
Spice Weasel Spice Weasel is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Michigan
Posts: 15,448
Quote:
Originally Posted by digs View Post
Back in 1964, long before parroting memes was, well, a meme... we spoke in commercial punchlines.

My mom would do something, and my dad would sigh "My wife, I think I'll keep her!"
Us kids kept yelling at her to elbow him in the ribs, but she played along, beaming like a bimbo 60's housewife.

We also spouted lines like "That's a spicy meeeeatball..." Or "I can't believe I ate the whole thing..." and later "Where's the beef?"

Wow, we were bored...
That's pretty adorable, though.
  #55  
Old 04-21-2017, 10:03 PM
digs digs is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: West of Wauwatosa
Posts: 7,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spice Weasel View Post
That's pretty adorable, though.
As was pinching mom on the behind and having her say "Pleeeeease don't squeeze the Charmin!"
  #56  
Old 04-26-2017, 09:31 AM
Dan Ervin Dan Ervin is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Posts: 13
Viagra used to have commercials with the tagline "For guys who know how to get things done." The problem is the guy is usually alone.

In one the guy is sailing a boat and some doohickey breaks, so he patches it with some other doohickey. (No, I don't know how to sail why do you ask?) Anyway the SO is apparently back on dry land.

In another, the guy gets his pickup stuck in the mud while towing a horse trailer, so he gets the horses out and hitches them up to pull out the truck. There is nobody around for miles but the horses...

Cialis commercials where the 2 people are in separate bathtubs. HOW BIG IS IT GONNA GET?

Last edited by Dan Ervin; 04-26-2017 at 09:33 AM.
  #57  
Old 04-26-2017, 09:35 AM
watchwolf49 watchwolf49 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: State of Jefferson
Posts: 7,391
Fly Me {YouTube 0'15"} ... yeah baby ...
  #58  
Old 04-26-2017, 02:33 PM
WildBlueYonder WildBlueYonder is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: TheWildBlueYonder
Posts: 805
Doubt the commercial I'm mentioning doesnt really match the topic but why is Danica Patrick (I think that was her) touting she quit school at 16, had some bad times but now...she is advertising fast cash joints?

Yeah that's a good one. Kiddies leave school at 16 and you eventually make it!
  #59  
Old 04-26-2017, 02:42 PM
cher3 cher3 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Posts: 7,090
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchwolf49 View Post
Fly Me {YouTube 0'15"} ... yeah baby ...
I don't think that message was unintended.
  #60  
Old 04-27-2017, 10:35 AM
MacLir MacLir is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 519
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Ervin View Post
Viagra used to have commercials with the tagline "For guys who know how to get things done." The problem is the guy is usually alone.

In one the guy is sailing a boat and some doohickey breaks, so he patches it with some other doohickey. (No, I don't know how to sail why do you ask?) Anyway the SO is apparently back on dry land.

In another, the guy gets his pickup stuck in the mud while towing a horse trailer, so he gets the horses out and hitches them up to pull out the truck. There is nobody around for miles but the horses...

Cialis commercials where the 2 people are in separate bathtubs. HOW BIG IS IT GONNA GET?
What always got me was the (likely not unintentional) warning on the Viagra commercials about seeing a doctor if it lasts more than four hours. What guy wouldn't think (Especially if he has problems getting it up in the first place) "Wow! A four hour woody!"
  #61  
Old 04-27-2017, 04:54 PM
Irishman Irishman is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Houston, TX, USA
Posts: 12,179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telemark View Post
There's a car ad where the potential buyer and a salesman are out on a test drive. He tells her about the turbo engine, she floors it. He tells her about the lane assist and she lets go of the steering wheel making the car drift into another lane before the correct stops it. Finally he tells her about the braking assist and she goes "You mean this car can stop itself?" and heads off, presumably right at a tree.

These are safety features, not see how your car can save you features.
But it is a test drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalC View Post
The "can you hear me now?" guy switching from Verizon to Sprint just makes me think he's a sellout, it doesn't make me think Sprint is better.
But shilling for Verizon in the first place doesn't make him a sell out? I agree it doesn't convince me Sprint is actually better, which convinced him to switch who he works for. He's an actor, he gets paid by whomever will pay him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairyChatMom View Post
The thing about that ad that hits me - he says Sprint's reliability is practically the same as Verizon, which is fine if you live somewhere that has Sprint coverage. But he doesn't say anything about coverage - just reliability. What good is reliability if you can't get a signal at your house?
Agreed. I have the same complaint.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
There's also a Milky Way commercial where a girl is eating a candy bar while tattooing someone, and misspells the word "regrets" so that it reads "regerts." When the customer points that out, she responds with "sorry...I was eating a Milky Way."
And that gets you off the hook how?

Quote:
Originally Posted by guestchaz View Post
as an aside, am I the only one that wants to punch Jimmy in the throat instead of buying a syphilis or whatever it is he's shilling?
Jimmy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robot Arm View Post
As near as I can tell, Liberty Mutual insurance is looking for customers with no understanding of how insurance works, and Jack Link's beef jerky is for people who are complete and total assholes.
So you see Bigfoot somewhere, and your first thought is to do something to piss him off? Not only are they assholes, they are idiots, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jz78817 View Post
I hated this commercial with the fire of a thousand suns. it basically says "you may suck at being a dad, so at least you can hand him down a VW later."

you know how many kids would love to have a dad who pays attention enough to do things like play catch with them, even if badly? Nope, VW thinks it's better to give him a car which will be a used up, money pit piece of junk by the time he's old enough to drive it.
I think the message is that he won't thank you for his athletic ability, not that dad is bad for playing catch and trying to teach his son.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenacious j View Post
It's the "made with" that gets me, and probably Donegal Dragon. Burger King chicken fries advertise "made with white meat chicken" but leave out of the ad the starch, water, and whatever else, they toss in there. Not 100% white meat chicken at all.
But 100% white meat chicken breaded with milk and flour is still "made with". I think you're being a bit over-interpretive.

Quote:
Along the same lines, one of the buttery spreads- maybe Country Crock?- uses "real ingredients." No shit, everything in there is real? Doesn't say anything about real what...
Now this one I agree with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by igor frankensteen View Post
This new AP called "Letgo" has rather nasty ads, too.

They have yet to have had one where the person who actually OWNED the whatever, WANTED TO SELL IT. Someone else always sold it out from under them, without their permission.
Bothers me, too. "I'm going off to college." "Have fun! Great, now I can sell all his stuff behind is back and make a buck. When he comes home for the weekend, he won't miss anything."
  #62  
Old 04-27-2017, 05:26 PM
salinqmind salinqmind is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Liverpool NY USA
Posts: 9,417
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Ervin View Post
Viagra used to have commercials with the tagline "For guys who know how to get things done." The problem is the guy is usually alone.

In one the guy is sailing a boat and some doohickey breaks, so he patches it with some other doohickey. (No, I don't know how to sail why do you ask?) Anyway the SO is apparently back on dry land.

In another, the guy gets his pickup stuck in the mud while towing a horse trailer, so he gets the horses out and hitches them up to pull out the truck. There is nobody around for miles but the horses...

Cialis commercials where the 2 people are in separate bathtubs. HOW BIG IS IT GONNA GET?
Whut? The 'guy who knows how to get things done' takes care of business, he does what needs to be done. He can't get a boner? By golly, he goes to a doctor and gets a prescription for Viagra, no dilly-dallying around, because life is short, he is in a sexxy relationship, and there is no time to waste. What's wrong with that?
  #63  
Old 04-27-2017, 07:20 PM
dropzone dropzone is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Cloud Cuckoo Land
Posts: 28,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripthicket View Post
Well, there is that famous Folgers Christmas commercial...
They are so gonna fuck.
  #64  
Old 04-27-2017, 09:18 PM
dropzone dropzone is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Cloud Cuckoo Land
Posts: 28,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBlueYonder View Post
Doubt the commercial I'm mentioning doesnt really match the topic but why is Danica Patrick (I think that was her) touting she quit school at 16, had some bad times but now...she is advertising fast cash joints?

Yeah that's a good one. Kiddies leave school at 16 and you eventually make it!
Round these parts she's shilling my hospital group. ER time at Elmhurst is thirteen minutes, at Edward it's six minutes, but in Plainfield it's only 1 minute. As if Edward at that location weren't 30 minutes away and Plainfield over an hour. If she weren't so hot I might complain.
  #65  
Old 04-27-2017, 09:30 PM
Chronos Chronos is offline
Charter Member
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: The Land of Cleves
Posts: 72,187
Well, maybe they're 30 minutes and an hour away the way you drive.
  #66  
Old 04-27-2017, 10:02 PM
Robot Arm Robot Arm is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Medford, MA
Posts: 21,224
Just saw a car commercial that used the whole "you can't handle the truth" speech from A Few Good Men. Do they not know that Col. Jessup was a lying, amoral asshole?
  #67  
Old 04-28-2017, 05:17 PM
Wheelz Wheelz is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 4,907
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robot Arm View Post
As near as I can tell, Liberty Mutual insurance is looking for customers with no understanding of how insurance works ...
I can't decide which of the Liberty Mutual commercials I hate more. There's the one where the woman read her policy (only after having an accident, mind you), and it said "blah, blah, blah, blah, blah!" So, your company appeals to people who are too stupid to read and understand an insurance policy? Great.

Then there's the pissy lady who snipes, "What are you supposed to do, drive three-quarters of a car?" No, dumbshit, did it ever occur to you that entire cars come at different price points? You don't have to "drive around on three wheels."

This company truly does cater to idiots.
  #68  
Old 04-28-2017, 05:35 PM
Sherrerd Sherrerd is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 4,195
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelz View Post
I can't decide which of the Liberty Mutual commercials I hate more. There's the one where the woman read her policy (only after having an accident, mind you), and it said "blah, blah, blah, blah, blah!" So, your company appeals to people who are too stupid to read and understand an insurance policy? Great.

Then there's the pissy lady who snipes, "What are you supposed to do, drive three-quarters of a car?" No, dumbshit, did it ever occur to you that entire cars come at different price points? You don't have to "drive around on three wheels."

This company truly does cater to idiots.
My long-held theory is that car insurance companies genuinely do prefer low-IQ customers--such people are less likely to be able to figure out how to win against the insurance companies in court. And even if no incident get them to the point of having to go to court, they are less likely to understand how the company is routinely bilking them by charging them more for less.

Liberty Mutual has certainly distinguished itself as the company going hardest after that low-IQ customer--you have to give them that.
  #69  
Old 04-28-2017, 07:04 PM
Karen Lingel Karen Lingel is offline
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: Union City, CA
Posts: 1,107
I've heard something similar about used car commercials. All these commercials have bad production values and some Larry Bud Melman-type guy telling you to rush on down for deals deals deals. The point is that Larry Bud is supposed to look like such a rube that people think they can get the better of him in a used car negotiation.
  #70  
Old 04-28-2017, 07:17 PM
Richard John Marcej Richard John Marcej is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 870
Don't think this has been brought up yet, but a current ad for Booking.com shows a stressed out woman standing in a Kindergarten classroom (we assume she's the teacher) with a bunch of kids in the background running amok. She states: "There's nothing more important to me than my vacation."

Really? Well, it's obvious that your chosen career to teach children in Kindergarten isn't that important, since you're doing such a lousy job of it.

Last edited by Richard John Marcej; 04-28-2017 at 07:17 PM.
  #71  
Old 04-28-2017, 07:25 PM
madmonk28 madmonk28 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 10,525
Quote:
Originally Posted by cher3 View Post
I don't think that message was unintended.
Yeah, that was intentional sexual innuendo and the ads were mentioned in a lawsuit as such.
  #72  
Old 05-02-2017, 07:59 AM
Gunslinger Gunslinger is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Texas.
Posts: 3,140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robot Arm View Post
Just saw a car commercial that used the whole "you can't handle the truth" speech from A Few Good Men. Do they not know that Col. Jessup was a lying, amoral asshole?
See also the GE coal power ad that used "Sixteen Tons" as background music, or the ultrapatriotic Wrangler jeans one with CCR's "Fortunate Son" (which I can't find on youtube, gee I wonder why?). For those of you youngsters who somehow don't know the songs, they're both radical protest songs against the very ideals they were used to advertise . Whatever spiritual descendant of Don Draper came up with those pairings was either incredibly clueless, or really pulled one over on the clients.
  #73  
Old 05-02-2017, 09:56 AM
Chronos Chronos is offline
Charter Member
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: The Land of Cleves
Posts: 72,187
Good lord, I thought that they would just use an instrumental there, or maybe just a brief excerpt. But no, they used the lyrics, and enough of them to make the message abundantly clear that the coal companies are evil. That even beats out Reagan's use of Springsteen, where at least he only played the title line.
  #74  
Old 05-02-2017, 10:02 AM
BobLibDem BobLibDem is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Home 07 NCAA HockeyChamps
Posts: 19,140
That Lending Tree commercial where the muppet shows that man how he shops for a mortgage in his underwear. OK, so if it's so freaking easy for that muppet to get a mortgage, why is he still living with that man? Or can he shop for a mortgage but just never closes on one and moves out? Does that mean that Lending Tree is great for getting you quotes on mortgages that you never use?
  #75  
Old 05-02-2017, 10:13 AM
Chimera Chimera is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: In the Dreaming
Posts: 21,549
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf333 View Post
I believe the claim is that the burgers ARE 100% beef. From their site, the Quarter Pounder pattie is:
"Ingredients: 100% Pure USDA Inspected Beef; No Fillers, No Extenders.Prepared with Grill Seasoning (Salt, Black Pepper). *Based On The Weight Before Cooking 4.25 oz."


Then the end product isn't 100% pure beef, because it has salt and pepper in it.
  #76  
Old 05-02-2017, 10:26 AM
mikecurtis mikecurtis is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: chicago
Posts: 862
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunslinger View Post
See also the GE coal power ad that used "Sixteen Tons" as background music, or the ultrapatriotic Wrangler jeans one with CCR's "Fortunate Son" (which I can't find on youtube, gee I wonder why?). For those of you youngsters who somehow don't know the songs, they're both radical protest songs against the very ideals they were used to advertise . Whatever spiritual descendant of Don Draper came up with those pairings was either incredibly clueless, or really pulled one over on the clients.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos
Good lord, I thought that they would just use an instrumental there, or maybe just a brief excerpt. But no, they used the lyrics, and enough of them to make the message abundantly clear that the coal companies are evil. That even beats out Reagan's use of Springsteen, where at least he only played the title line.
i think you've both missed the point of that commercial. its the juxtaposition of the old song with the new young hip models that they're going for. something along the lines of "this isn't your father's old coal mining tech". . . or maybe i'm giving them too much credit. . .

mc

Last edited by mikecurtis; 05-02-2017 at 10:27 AM.
  #77  
Old 05-02-2017, 10:38 AM
FairyChatMom FairyChatMom is offline
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Southern Merrylande
Posts: 37,569
To continue the pile-on for Liberty Mutual - the idiot woman who goes on and on about how much research you do before buying your car, then you drive it into a tree. She complains about how her rate is raised or some such, finishing with "Maybe you should have done more research on the insurance company." (not the exact quote, but it's close.)

My immediate response is "Maybe you should learn how to drive without running into a tree!"

Oh, how I hate LM and their entire ad campaign!!!
  #78  
Old 05-02-2017, 02:44 PM
Chronos Chronos is offline
Charter Member
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: The Land of Cleves
Posts: 72,187
mikecurtis, that may have been the intent of the commercial, but it utterly fails. The fact that the coal miners they show are all young and sexy was not lost on me. But the id-level reaction it triggers in me is not "I want more coal mining, because that's where the sexy women are". It's "I want to be the Knight in Shining Armor and rescue those poor women from those horrible working conditions, and they'll be so grateful to me".
  #79  
Old 05-02-2017, 02:55 PM
mikecurtis mikecurtis is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: chicago
Posts: 862
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
mikecurtis, that may have been the intent of the commercial, but it utterly fails. The fact that the coal miners they show are all young and sexy was not lost on me. But the id-level reaction it triggers in me is not "I want more coal mining, because that's where the sexy women are". It's "I want to be the Knight in Shining Armor and rescue those poor women from those horrible working conditions, and they'll be so grateful to me".
that might say more about you than the commercial!

mc
  #80  
Old 05-02-2017, 04:46 PM
Irishman Irishman is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Houston, TX, USA
Posts: 12,179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimera View Post
Then the end product isn't 100% pure beef, because it has salt and pepper in it.
Yeah, technically, but that's hardly the same as saying it is made of tofu, mushrooms, and sawdust, which is the implication most people seem to be making.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikecurtis View Post
i think you've both missed the point of that commercial. its the juxtaposition of the old song with the new young hip models that they're going for. something along the lines of "this isn't your father's old coal mining tech". . . or maybe i'm giving them too much credit. . .
I get that's the juxtaposition, except it isn't mining technology they have improved, it's emissions control, i.e. burning it in power plants. Coal mining does use huge machinery including super dumptrucks and drilling machines, but it is still filthy, backbreaking work, and transporting and handling coal between the mines and the burners is also dirty.
  #81  
Old 05-02-2017, 05:10 PM
mikecurtis mikecurtis is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: chicago
Posts: 862
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishman View Post
I get that's the juxtaposition, except it isn't mining technology they have improved, it's emissions control, i.e. burning it in power plants. Coal mining does use huge machinery including super dumptrucks and drilling machines, but it is still filthy, backbreaking work, and transporting and handling coal between the mines and the burners is also dirty.
so. . . yeah. . .on second watch of the commercial and then a quick surf on the nets. . . looks like the advertisers are trying to imply that coal mining is not horror that Tennessee was singing about, but, as you say, that's got nuthin to do with GE!
even tho the commercial is on solid artistic footing, its not actually adverting the company whose logo is at the end.
so it actually fits in well with the OP!
sorry for jumping in, and missing the point completely!

mc
  #82  
Old 05-02-2017, 05:14 PM
Sherrerd Sherrerd is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 4,195
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen Lingel View Post
I've heard something similar about used car commercials. All these commercials have bad production values and some Larry Bud Melman-type guy telling you to rush on down for deals deals deals. The point is that Larry Bud is supposed to look like such a rube that people think they can get the better of him in a used car negotiation.
Sounds about right.

There is very little in modern advertising that is "providing information"--the vast majority of it is 'playing on resentments' and 'appealing to unacknowledged bias' and 'promising competitive advantage [such as a chance to negotiate with supposedly 'dimbulb' used car salesmen] where there actually is none.' And such-like manipulation.

To succeed in advertising, you need to have a pretty cynical view of your fellow humans.
  #83  
Old 05-05-2017, 05:14 PM
CelticKnot CelticKnot is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: 2 hours from somewhere
Posts: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan View Post
There are many contemporary ads where the protagonist does something at the end of the commercial in a style that seems to suggest they're affable yet inadequate schlubs. Their action or self-presentation, which is presented as a joke-at-their-expense punchline of a sort, usually undoes any confidence the ad has built about its product or service. It leaves me thinking, "You're a loser and the ad works against selling me That Thing."
There seem to be countless commercials like that. What comes to mind first for me are the Sonic TV ads.

We don't watch TV much anymore, so I guess I am spared any new idiot hucksters. But I never understood why ad companies thought people would want to be associated with the morons in their ads.
  #84  
Old 05-07-2017, 12:49 AM
gigi gigi is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Flatlander in NH
Posts: 24,503
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobSwan View Post
Most of the UK ads for laundry capsules include the line: 'always keep away from children'. But it's a bit ambiguous. Do they mean keep the capsules away from children? Or that I should keep myself away from children? I miss my family!
That one always gets me when I see it on the Tide Pods package or the commercial's small print.

"Like any household detergent, keep away from children."

I imagine the CYA thought process was: They knew the fun-looking pod might attract kids, so they needed to put a warning. But they didn't want pods to seem any more dangerous than any detergent, so they modified it.
  #85  
Old 05-07-2017, 01:18 AM
Superdude Superdude is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: The Fortress of Solidude
Posts: 9,331
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLibDem View Post
That Lending Tree commercial where the muppet shows that man how he shops for a mortgage in his underwear. OK, so if it's so freaking easy for that muppet to get a mortgage, why is he still living with that man? Or can he shop for a mortgage but just never closes on one and moves out? Does that mean that Lending Tree is great for getting you quotes on mortgages that you never use?
I always assumed that the puppet owned the house, and the guy was sleeping on the couch.
__________________
My friend Dan Canon is running for Congress!
www.CanonForIndiana.com
  #86  
Old 05-07-2017, 01:39 AM
The Other Waldo Pepper The Other Waldo Pepper is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 14,233
Quote:
Originally Posted by FairyChatMom View Post
To continue the pile-on for Liberty Mutual - the idiot woman who goes on and on about how much research you do before buying your car, then you drive it into a tree. She complains about how her rate is raised or some such, finishing with "Maybe you should have done more research on the insurance company." (not the exact quote, but it's close.)

My immediate response is "Maybe you should learn how to drive without running into a tree!"
Incidentally: the woman who talks about naming a car 'Brad'? She's standing still and looking straight ahead. And the woman who talks about not reading a policy until after an accident? She's standing still and looking straight ahead. And the woman who talks about getting three-quarters of a car? Standing still. Looking straight ahead.

But right when this woman is going on and on about conducting oh-so-much research, she's pointedly -- not looking where she's going.
  #87  
Old 05-07-2017, 12:59 PM
Patx2 Patx2 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 1,794
Quote:
Originally Posted by FairyChatMom View Post
To continue the pile-on for Liberty Mutual - the idiot woman who goes on and on about how much research you do before buying your car, then you drive it into a tree. She complains about how her rate is raised or some such, finishing with "Maybe you should have done more research on the insurance company." (not the exact quote, but it's close.)

My immediate response is "Maybe you should learn how to drive without running into a tree!"

Oh, how I hate LM and their entire ad campaign!!!
Yes! We say the same thing every time that ad runs. Stop driving into trees and then stop expecting your insurance policy to have a clause that covers you in case you, idk forget basic driving skills like avoiding trees.
  #88  
Old 05-08-2017, 02:45 PM
furryman furryman is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Collinwood, Collinsport
Posts: 3,254
The commercial advertising Wal-Marts latest charity seems quite heartwarming on the surface. I can't help wondering if they're aware that the next line in the lyrics is "I get high with a little help from my friends."

Last edited by furryman; 05-08-2017 at 02:46 PM.
  #89  
Old 05-09-2017, 09:45 AM
xizor xizor is online now
Member
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 4,870
Quote:
Originally Posted by furryman View Post
The commercial advertising Wal-Marts latest charity seems quite heartwarming on the surface. I can't help wondering if they're aware that the next line in the lyrics is "I get high with a little help from my friends."
Similarly, a few years back some electronics company used the part of The Beatles' Getting Better in their ads that goes "I have to admit its getting better, a little better all the time."
Leaving the watcher to finish the lyric "It can't get much worse"
  #90  
Old 05-09-2017, 10:24 AM
Finagle Finagle is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Somewhere near Boston
Posts: 9,880
Seeing as we've drifted into "weird music in ads", what's with the John Denver "Take Me Home, Country Roads" in the latest Aliens movie ad? A movie that apparently addresses the as of yet unexplored territory of explorers stumbling across Alien eggs and then spending the rest of the movie nervously edging around atmospherically misty, dripping sets with guns while Aliens pick them off one by one. A bold move, and I'm anxious to see what they do with it.
  #91  
Old 05-09-2017, 03:16 PM
Chronos Chronos is offline
Charter Member
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: The Land of Cleves
Posts: 72,187
No, that makes perfect sense. It says that these guys just want to go back to their uneventful homes, and gives a snapshot of characterization by showing what kind of music they like. Which contrasts, of course, with the Hell they find themselves in.
  #92  
Old 05-09-2017, 03:38 PM
Sparky812 Sparky812 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Great White North
Posts: 3,956
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike Witt View Post
I could never buy a Chevy Cruz after one of the 'real people' in their ad refers to the car as, essentially, a mulletmobile.

Also, slightly NSFW
This one kills me!

Last edited by Sparky812; 05-09-2017 at 03:39 PM.
  #93  
Old 05-09-2017, 08:52 PM
dropzone dropzone is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Cloud Cuckoo Land
Posts: 28,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
Well, maybe they're 30 minutes and an hour away the way you drive.
The nearest is 1.5 miles from the sign. I drive a hot Buick wagon and know the shortcuts. Bobby Rahal and Freddie Lorenzon are locals. Danica isn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikecurtis View Post
that might say more about you than the commercial!
Didn't watch it but dropdad was a Social Security appeals judge who specialized in Black Lung and no, it's how it still goes.
  #94  
Old 05-09-2017, 10:51 PM
nearwildheaven nearwildheaven is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 8,830
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard John Marcej View Post
Don't think this has been brought up yet, but a current ad for Booking.com shows a stressed out woman standing in a Kindergarten classroom (we assume she's the teacher) with a bunch of kids in the background running amok. She states: "There's nothing more important to me than my vacation."

Really? Well, it's obvious that your chosen career to teach children in Kindergarten isn't that important, since you're doing such a lousy job of it.
There's obviously not much supervision in that classroom, if a little GIRL ( ) could find the time to write "BUTT" on the letter board in magnets.
  #95  
Old 05-09-2017, 11:24 PM
Arcite Arcite is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Earth
Posts: 951
Not exactly a commercial since it's not selling anything, but does anyone else remember this anti-domestic violence PSA from the 90's, where the kid at the top of the stairs watches his parents off-screen, the evil dad yelling "dinner ready is PIZZA?!" and then proceeding to beat the mother? How many of us saw that and thought, "what the heck is wrong with that guy? Pizza for dinner? Sweet!"
  #96  
Old 05-09-2017, 11:41 PM
Seanette Seanette is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 4,443
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Other Waldo Pepper View Post
Incidentally: the woman who talks about naming a car 'Brad'?
Anyone else think she seems a bit psycho? Naming your car, OK, NBD. It's her overall tone and demeanor that would have me a bit edgy if I were in an elevator with her.
  #97  
Old 05-09-2017, 11:44 PM
Seanette Seanette is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 4,443
Quote:
Originally Posted by xizor View Post
Similarly, a few years back some electronics company used the part of The Beatles' Getting Better in their ads that goes "I have to admit its getting better, a little better all the time."
Leaving the watcher to finish the lyric "It can't get much worse"
That was Microsoft, which also used Start Me Up, with lines like "you make a grown man cry" and "I can't compete". They also used the portion of Mozart's "Requiem" that talked about the souls of the damned.

You'd think they'd start checking up on the music their ad department is using.
  #98  
Old 05-10-2017, 12:21 AM
nearwildheaven nearwildheaven is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 8,830
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcite View Post
Not exactly a commercial since it's not selling anything, but does anyone else remember this anti-domestic violence PSA from the 90's, where the kid at the top of the stairs watches his parents off-screen, the evil dad yelling "dinner ready is PIZZA?!" and then proceeding to beat the mother? How many of us saw that and thought, "what the heck is wrong with that guy? Pizza for dinner? Sweet!"
Threadjack: I personally know 3 women who have said that if their husbands cook dinner and it's not what she wants, she will take the food off the table and make something else, even if the kids are hungry and say they want it. I'm mentioning it here because one of them has even bragged about throwing food in the garbage because she felt her husband hadn't put enough effort into its preparation, and frozen pizzas were an excellent example of this. OTOH, if she makes frozen pizza, that's OK, because it's, well, OK.
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:22 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@chicagoreader.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Publishers - interested in subscribing to the Straight Dope?
Write to: sdsubscriptions@chicagoreader.com.

Copyright 2017 Sun-Times Media, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017