Old 04-27-2017, 10:48 AM

Bull Attack Tactics

Don't need answer fast, just wondering -- when people get fatally attacked by bulls, do they usually get gored to death? Or is it "death by trampling", getting crushed under the weight of the hooves?. Maybe it is a combination of both, I dunno... Any information would be appreciated.
Advertisements  
Old 04-27-2017, 10:56 AM

Both. Which one is more common will depend on the situation. There are types of "bull sports" where the bull's horns are shaved or otherwise blunted, specifically to prevent goring; others where that practice is specifically prohibited. Similar types in different locations have different safety rules, leading to different dangers. In "bull sports" I'm including any form of entertainment which includes bulls (or their relatives of other sexes and ages), from rodeos to bullruns or bullfights.

And then of course, you have professional risks to farmers or abbatoir workers, which again can come in both flavors and again will vary by location, both geography and the build of the specific area (a bull or cow in a tiny box can't do the same things as one in an open field).

Last edited by Nava; 04-27-2017 at 10:57 AM.
Old 04-27-2017, 12:45 PM

Watch a few minutes of this, and it seems clear that bulls favor using their horns more than their hooves; their favorite stunt involves getting a horn under you and violently lifting you in the air repeatedly until they finally don't catch you. If their horns haven't been blunted, you're probably going to be severely injured by them - and no matter what, you're probably going to get hurt when you land, probably in a suboptimal orientation.

To the extent that people get trampled, it doesn't seem like it's deliberate on the part of any of the bulls; it just happens as they're fleeing the scene if you happen to be in their way.

Contrast this with a moose, which favors trampling.

Moose attack #1

Moose attack #2
Old 04-27-2017, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machine Elf View Post
Watch a few minutes of this, and it seems clear that bulls favor using their horns more than their hooves; their favorite stunt involves getting a horn under you and violently lifting you in the air repeatedly until they finally don't catch you. If their horns haven't been blunted, you're probably going to be severely injured by them - and no matter what, you're probably going to get hurt when you land, probably in a suboptimal orientation.

To the extent that people get trampled, it doesn't seem like it's deliberate on the part of any of the bulls; it just happens as they're fleeing the scene if you happen to be in their way.

Contrast this with a moose, which favors trampling.

Moose attack #1

Moose attack #2

Fascinating!
Old 04-27-2017, 03:19 PM

If you do a Google-image search for "bull goring", you will see a gruesome collection of images showing severe gorings in progress. Among others, there are at least a couple of instances of matadors being gored through the face and neck. The bulls definitely know to lead with a horn and back it up with their muscle/mass.

Don't do this search during dinner or with kids nearby.
Old 04-27-2017, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machine Elf View Post
If you do a Google-image search for "bull goring", you will see a gruesome collection of images showing severe gorings in progress. Among others, there are at least a couple of instances of matadors being gored through the face and neck. The bulls definitely know to lead with a horn and back it up with their muscle/mass.

Don't do this search during dinner or with kids nearby.
Incredible images! I can't believe people still do this stuff! Ya can't blame the bulls, they're just defending themselves...
Old 04-27-2017, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gytalf2000 View Post
Don't need answer fast, just wondering
Dammit gytalf2000, I saw your thread title and clicked on it with the express purpose of asking you if you needed an answer fast.

Last edited by skdo23; 04-27-2017 at 06:25 PM.
Old 04-28-2017, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skdo23 View Post
Dammit gytalf2000, I saw your thread title and clicked on it with the express purpose of asking you if you needed an answer fast.
Sorry to disappoint. Next time, I'll try harder to put myself in actual danger. What's life without takin' some crazy chances?