#1  
Old 04-27-2017, 10:48 AM
gytalf2000 gytalf2000 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Nashville, Tennessee, USA
Posts: 2,979
Bull Attack Tactics

Don't need answer fast, just wondering -- when people get fatally attacked by bulls, do they usually get gored to death? Or is it "death by trampling", getting crushed under the weight of the hooves?. Maybe it is a combination of both, I dunno... Any information would be appreciated.
Advertisements  
  #2  
Old 04-27-2017, 10:56 AM
Nava Nava is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Hey! I'm located! WOOOOW!
Posts: 36,390
Both. Which one is more common will depend on the situation. There are types of "bull sports" where the bull's horns are shaved or otherwise blunted, specifically to prevent goring; others where that practice is specifically prohibited. Similar types in different locations have different safety rules, leading to different dangers. In "bull sports" I'm including any form of entertainment which includes bulls (or their relatives of other sexes and ages), from rodeos to bullruns or bullfights.

And then of course, you have professional risks to farmers or abbatoir workers, which again can come in both flavors and again will vary by location, both geography and the build of the specific area (a bull or cow in a tiny box can't do the same things as one in an open field).

Last edited by Nava; 04-27-2017 at 10:57 AM.
  #3  
Old 04-27-2017, 12:45 PM
Machine Elf Machine Elf is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Challenger Deep
Posts: 10,262
Watch a few minutes of this, and it seems clear that bulls favor using their horns more than their hooves; their favorite stunt involves getting a horn under you and violently lifting you in the air repeatedly until they finally don't catch you. If their horns haven't been blunted, you're probably going to be severely injured by them - and no matter what, you're probably going to get hurt when you land, probably in a suboptimal orientation.

To the extent that people get trampled, it doesn't seem like it's deliberate on the part of any of the bulls; it just happens as they're fleeing the scene if you happen to be in their way.

Contrast this with a moose, which favors trampling.

Moose attack #1

Moose attack #2
  #4  
Old 04-27-2017, 02:54 PM
gytalf2000 gytalf2000 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Nashville, Tennessee, USA
Posts: 2,979
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machine Elf View Post
Watch a few minutes of this, and it seems clear that bulls favor using their horns more than their hooves; their favorite stunt involves getting a horn under you and violently lifting you in the air repeatedly until they finally don't catch you. If their horns haven't been blunted, you're probably going to be severely injured by them - and no matter what, you're probably going to get hurt when you land, probably in a suboptimal orientation.

To the extent that people get trampled, it doesn't seem like it's deliberate on the part of any of the bulls; it just happens as they're fleeing the scene if you happen to be in their way.

Contrast this with a moose, which favors trampling.

Moose attack #1

Moose attack #2

Fascinating!
  #5  
Old 04-27-2017, 03:19 PM
Machine Elf Machine Elf is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Challenger Deep
Posts: 10,262
If you do a Google-image search for "bull goring", you will see a gruesome collection of images showing severe gorings in progress. Among others, there are at least a couple of instances of matadors being gored through the face and neck. The bulls definitely know to lead with a horn and back it up with their muscle/mass.

Don't do this search during dinner or with kids nearby.
  #6  
Old 04-27-2017, 05:50 PM
gytalf2000 gytalf2000 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Nashville, Tennessee, USA
Posts: 2,979
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machine Elf View Post
If you do a Google-image search for "bull goring", you will see a gruesome collection of images showing severe gorings in progress. Among others, there are at least a couple of instances of matadors being gored through the face and neck. The bulls definitely know to lead with a horn and back it up with their muscle/mass.

Don't do this search during dinner or with kids nearby.
Incredible images! I can't believe people still do this stuff! Ya can't blame the bulls, they're just defending themselves...
  #7  
Old 04-27-2017, 06:24 PM
skdo23 skdo23 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 995
Quote:
Originally Posted by gytalf2000 View Post
Don't need answer fast, just wondering
Dammit gytalf2000, I saw your thread title and clicked on it with the express purpose of asking you if you needed an answer fast.

Last edited by skdo23; 04-27-2017 at 06:25 PM.
  #8  
Old 04-28-2017, 07:46 AM
gytalf2000 gytalf2000 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Nashville, Tennessee, USA
Posts: 2,979
Quote:
Originally Posted by skdo23 View Post
Dammit gytalf2000, I saw your thread title and clicked on it with the express purpose of asking you if you needed an answer fast.
Sorry to disappoint. Next time, I'll try harder to put myself in actual danger. What's life without takin' some crazy chances?
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:54 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@chicagoreader.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Publishers - interested in subscribing to the Straight Dope?
Write to: sdsubscriptions@chicagoreader.com.

Copyright 2017 Sun-Times Media, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017