Old 06-17-2017, 10:19 PM

Any Recent Horror Movies With Unambiguously Happy Endings?

I've seen threads asking for movies where evil triumphs. In my experience, most modern horror movies end with evil triumphant or, at best, evil still alive. Michael Myers and Jason are never really dead, the demon is never truly vanquished, the monster you thought was dead is still twitching (or has made babies), the psycho slasher has escaped, the vampire turned one of the Good guys before dying... you just KNOW going in to most horror movies that there can't be anything like a conventional happy ending in which the bad guy or monster is dead at the end, and the danger is over for good (after all, you can't moisten more sequels if evil is beaten).

What horror movies in the past 35 years had good defeat evil, without hinting that maybe the monster or killer is still alive or will return?

Last edited by astorian; 06-17-2017 at 10:21 PM.
Advertisements  
Old 06-17-2017, 11:05 PM

Near Dark.

Technically, Aliens ended this way, but we know how that turned out when they decided to make another movie...
Old 06-17-2017, 11:21 PM

Carrie
It
Old 06-17-2017, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsircool View Post
Carrie
It
The "Carrie" remake? The original had her hand coming up out of the ground. Stephen King commented that he knew it was coming, and still scared him. I haven't seen the remake.
Old 06-18-2017, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
The "Carrie" remake? The original had her hand coming up out of the ground. Stephen King commented that he knew it was coming, and still scared him. I haven't seen the remake.
The original. All the bad characters were dead. Carrie was avenged but dead. The grave scene happened only in Sues dream.
Old 06-18-2017, 12:37 AM

One earlier this year; I'll spoiler-tag it JIC:
SPOILER:
Get Out
Old 06-18-2017, 12:41 AM

No true horror fan wants an Unambiguously Happy Ending! We would be very UN-happy if we thought evil was vanquished forever!

Sorry, I don't mean this as a thread-sh&t, it's just that what you are asking for would be very unpopular with the true fans, and therefore would be very hard to find.

Last edited by Tim R. Mortiss; 06-18-2017 at 12:42 AM.
Old 06-18-2017, 06:31 AM

Quote:
The original. All the bad characters were dead. Carrie was avenged but dead. The grave scene happened only in Sues dream.
I should have remembered that. But it's been years since I've seen it.
Old 06-18-2017, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by astorian View Post
What horror movies in the past 35 years had good defeat evil, without hinting that maybe the monster or killer is still alive or will return?
Hang on; does Scream count?
Old 06-18-2017, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim R. Mortiss View Post
No true horror fan wants an Unambiguously Happy Ending! We would be very UN-happy if we thought evil was vanquished forever!

Sorry, I don't mean this as a thread-sh&t, it's just that what you are asking for would be very unpopular with the true fans, and therefore would be very hard to find.
How happy are you with Dracula?
Old 06-18-2017, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoe View Post
SPOILER:
Get Out
That's immediately what I thought of as well! (An excellent movie too, btw!)
Old 06-18-2017, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim R. Mortiss View Post

That may be true, but it doesn't affect my question.

It strikes me that, nowadays, it's VERY rare for the monster or serial killer to get killed off at the end, and to have the danger completely over. Perhaps that's because horror filmmakers know there are fans like you who WANT the monster to survive, or perhaps it's because they want to be able to make 10 sequels.

Regardless, nowadays, happy endings in which Freddy Krueger or Hannibal Lecter (or whoever) is dead and buried and no further threat at the end seem to be very rare.
Old 06-18-2017, 03:24 PM

In the 2011 remake of Fright Night, the vampire next door unambiguously dies.

He dies in the original as well, but the original implies that the hero's friend has become a vampire and is on the loose.
Old 06-18-2017, 03:55 PM

Jacobs Ladder.
Old 06-18-2017, 04:10 PM
Charter Member

I'd say the remake of CARRIE- She is in a good place in her last moments & ends it all on her own terms, with a show of kindness to her only real friend.
Old 06-18-2017, 04:12 PM
Charter Member

Since most people here ignored "recent"- I'll add "The Bride" with Clancy Brown, Jennifer Beals, & Sting. The happiest Frankenstein movie ever.

Actually, the mistitled "Victor Frankenstein" with McAvoy & Radcliffe ended happily.
Old 06-18-2017, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriarTed View Post
Since most people here ignored "recent"- I'll add "The Bride" with Clancy Brown, Jennifer Beals, & Sting. The happiest Frankenstein movie ever.

Actually, the mistitled "Victor Frankenstein" with McAvoy & Radcliffe ended happily.
Recent is relative. Recent to Old Guy might be the 50s.
Old 06-18-2017, 06:25 PM

Quote:
In the original Friday the 13th the killer was Jason's mom, who unambiguously died at the end. According to the backstory Jason had been unambiguously dead for years. The scene at the very end where Jason came out of the water, like Carrie's hand coming from the grave, was Alice's bad dream. (If it had been real she would have been dead, rather than waking up in the hospital.)
Old 06-19-2017, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethilrist View Post
Technically, Aliens ended this way, but we know how that turned out when they decided to make another movie...
Actually, it doesn't quite. Y'see, it's a little-known fact that "Aliens" has a subtle end-credit "bit", it isn't even a scene. As the final credits are rolling across the screen and the soundtrack music fades out, there is the sound of humming machinery over a black screen. Then there's the weird sound that's a bit like the pods opening. That was James Cameron's way of leaving the film open for sequels: another alien creature got aboard the escape ship and was on the loose as Ripley, Newt, Hicks, and Bishop were all asleep in cryo-chambers.

Does "Shaun of the Dead" count as a horror movie? It's a little intense (and sometimes even scary) to be labeled an out-and-out parody film. But it does end with (spoilers for a decade-plus old movie) Shaun alive and reunited with his girlfriend and...his best friend. The zombie apocalypse has come and gone and zombies have been 'normalized' as part of society.

Last edited by Don Draper; 06-19-2017 at 01:44 PM.
Old 06-19-2017, 01:49 PM

Jaws
Poltergeist

I realize they both had sequels, but they didn't end as if they had sequels (also playing fast and loose with "recent").
Old 06-19-2017, 02:04 PM

El Orfanato - If memory serves,
SPOILER:
The mother realizes she inadvertently caused her adopted sons' death, but also realizes the ghosts of the orphans want someone to take care of them, so she kills herself and becomes their caretaker.
Old 06-19-2017, 02:30 PM
SDSAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
Actually, it doesn't quite. Y'see, it's a little-known fact that "Aliens" has a subtle end-credit "bit", it isn't even a scene. As the final credits are rolling across the screen and the soundtrack music fades out, there is the sound of humming machinery over a black screen. Then there's the weird sound that's a bit like the pods opening. That was James Cameron's way of leaving the film open for sequels: another alien creature got aboard the escape ship and was on the loose as Ripley, Newt, Hicks, and Bishop were all asleep in cryo-chambers....
Huh - never noticed that before. Cite?
Old 06-19-2017, 02:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FriarTed View Post

Recent is relative. Recent to Old Guy might be the 50s.
Recent might be relative, but the OP clearly defined the term.
Quote:
Originally Posted by astorian View Post
Old 06-19-2017, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elendil's Heir View Post
Huh - never noticed that before. Cite?
On the IMDB trivia page, it's the sixth item under "spoilers."

Or, alternately, you can netflix the movie and just fast-forward to the very end of the credits and just listen to it.

Last edited by Don Draper; 06-19-2017 at 03:03 PM.
Old 06-19-2017, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post
Recent might be relative, but the OP clearly defined the term.

Are those human or dog years?
Old 06-19-2017, 07:09 PM
Charter Member

The Lost Boys, perhaps? (turns 30 y.o. on Harry Potter's birthday)

Also: Sweeney Todd (almost 10) and The Nightmare Before Christmas (aged 24 come October).

I haven't seen any plans for Buffy the Vampire Slayer 2. Peewee Hermancula was clearly not going to get better.

Last edited by kaylasdad99; 06-19-2017 at 07:12 PM.
Old 06-19-2017, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critical1 View Post
Jacobs Ladder.
What? I thought that was a downer.
Old 06-19-2017, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
Does "Shaun of the Dead" count as a horror movie? It's a little intense (and sometimes even scary) to be labeled an out-and-out parody film. But it does end with (spoilers for a decade-plus old movie) Shaun alive and reunited with his girlfriend and...his best friend. The zombie apocalypse has come and gone and zombies have been 'normalized' as part of society.
Heck, there are several zombie movies that end on high notes - the zombie wave is being brought under control, there might be a cure or vaccine etc.

As I recall:

28 Days Later
World War Z
Warm Bodies
Old 06-19-2017, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RivkahChaya View Post
What? I thought that was a downer.
Well, it certainly left no possibility of a sequel.
Old 06-19-2017, 08:11 PM

Mel Brooks' Young Frankenstein, if a comedy-horror film counts.

Tremors , although hilarious in places, was also out-and-out terrifying...but still had a happy, all-wrapped-up ending (although that didn't stop them from making a sequel).

Last edited by Toxgoddess; 06-19-2017 at 08:12 PM.
Old 06-19-2017, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critical1 View Post
Jacobs Ladder.
Not really a "happy ending" in the spirit of the OP, but
SPOILER:
you have a point --
SPOILER:
the horror turns out to be an Owl Creek Bridge hallucination, so the protagonist's death does end it all.
Old 06-19-2017, 11:00 PM

The Conjuring ends happily doesn't it? As does "The Others" and "signs" although those aren't typical horror movies.
Old 06-19-2017, 11:57 PM

Sixth Sense too
Old 06-20-2017, 12:03 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Ekers View Post
Heck, there are several zombie movies that end on high notes - the zombie wave is being brought under control, there might be a cure or vaccine etc.

As I recall:

28 Days Later
World War Z
Warm Bodies
That's true in the book version of World War Z as well (which to my understanding was very different from the movie). In the book, humans defeated the zombies. There had been a huge amount of casualties and there were still a few pockets of zombies left to be cleared up but the book made it clear the humans had won the war.
Old 06-20-2017, 10:53 AM
SDSAB

Quote:
Sixth Sense too
Well....
SPOILER:
Bruce Willis's character realized he was dead and finally got closure with his widow, and the kid's mom accepted and understood the kid's "talent," but he was still going to spend the rest of his life, it's implied, having (sometimes horribly mutilated) dead people coming up to him to chat. If I were him, I'd move to Antarctica or some other really, really isolated place with no or few(er) ghosts!
Old 06-20-2017, 11:16 AM
Charter Member

I suppose technically at the end of The Mist, things are getting better in general. Just not at all for that particular guy.
Old 06-20-2017, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elendil's Heir View Post
Well....
SPOILER:
Bruce Willis's character realized he was dead and finally got closure with his widow, and the kid's mom accepted and understood the kid's "talent," but he was still going to spend the rest of his life, it's implied, having (sometimes horribly mutilated) dead people coming up to him to chat. If I were him, I'd move to Antarctica or some other really, really isolated place with no or few(er) ghosts!
But their arcs ended with them both in better places. Man that was a great movie.
Old 06-20-2017, 01:19 PM

How about "Tucker and Dale vs Evil?"
Old 06-20-2017, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxgoddess View Post
Mel Brooks' Young Frankenstein, if a comedy-horror film counts.
Add What We Do in the Shadows (2014) to that category.
Old 06-22-2017, 08:44 AM
Charter Member

The Frighteners ended with the hero escaping the muderous ghost and he even got to share his gift with his girlfriend.
Old 06-22-2017, 11:13 AM
SDSAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Torque View Post
I suppose technically at the end of The Mist, things are getting better in general. Just not at all for that particular guy.
You may have heard it's now a TV series: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mist_(TV_series)
Old 06-22-2017, 11:18 AM
BANNED

Here is one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayoR0jF0vuY
Old 06-22-2017, 01:14 PM

Quote:

As I recall:

28 Days Later
World War Z
Warm Bodies
"28 Days Later" ends with the good guys (and gals) surviving. But by no means has the zombie apocalypse ended. Hence "28 Weeks Later" when the humans are "winning" and attempting to re-populate. But there is still a zombie (and virus) threat present.

The end of the "World War Z" movie has the humans able to combat and destroy the zombies, but they don't really indicate that they've found a "cure" for the virus which converts humans to zombies. They are still trying to just destroy the zombies now that they've figured out the means to not be overrun/overwhelmed.
Old 06-22-2017, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cormac262 View Post
"28 Days Later" ends with the good guys (and gals) surviving. But by no means has the zombie apocalypse ended. Hence "28 Weeks Later" when the humans are "winning" and attempting to re-populate. But there is still a zombie (and virus) threat present.
As I recall, the protagonists were happy to see a European jet, indicating the virus had not spread beyond the U.K. That's about as upbeat an ending as could be expected.

Quote:
The end of the "World War Z" movie has the humans able to combat and destroy the zombies, but they don't really indicate that they've found a "cure" for the virus which converts humans to zombies. They are still trying to just destroy the zombies now that they've figured out the means to not be overrun/overwhelmed.
Ditto.

Warm Bodies I guess beats the above two because there is a cure for zombitis:

SPOILER:
It's love.
Old 06-22-2017, 06:13 PM

Quote:
As I recall, the protagonists were happy to see a European jet, indicating the virus had not spread beyond the U.K. That's about as upbeat an ending as could be expected.

Ditto.

Warm Bodies I guess beats the above two because there is a cure for zombitis:

SPOILER:
It's love.
Per the OP: "What horror movies in the past 35 years had good defeat evil, without hinting that maybe the monster or killer is still alive or will return?"

"28 Days Later" and "World War Z" may have ended "up beat". But not quite what the OP was asking for.
Old 06-22-2017, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoe View Post
SPOILER:
Get Out
There is an alternative ending that wasn't happy though.

1408 had a happy ending, I guess. Case 39. Friday the 13th part VIII. 28 days later. I guess it depends on how you define happy.

Last edited by Wesley Clark; 06-22-2017 at 07:03 PM.