Old 04-30-2017, 02:56 PM
The Central Scrutinizer

I don't know if you can consider it a major character but Kevin Pollak had a long story arc (15 episodes via IMDB) on the sitcom Mom before being killed by an onscreen heart attack. I've never watched the show but I heard him talking about the experience on his podcast.
Advertisements  
Old 04-30-2017, 07:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIGObuster View Post
With the exception that most survive in Blackadder the Third and Blackadder Back & Forth (1999).
Most of them survived onscreen in Blackadder the Third. Presumably none of them survived to the birth of the generation that would fight World War One.

Blackadder Back & Forth is a whole other timey-wimey ball.
Old 04-30-2017, 08:26 PM

Phil the bartender died in a season 9 episode of Murphy Brown, only to reappear in the series finale telling Murphy he was in the witness protection program. Pat Corley, the actor who played Phil, outlived the series by about a decade.
Old 04-30-2017, 09:20 PM

Bob Newhart's Professor Proton was killed off of "Big Bang Theory" although he continued to appear to Sheldon in his dreams.
Old 04-30-2017, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Chef (Issac Hayes) on South Park was killed off because he left show, objecting to the episode they did on Scientology.
Isaac Hayes's son says Isaac didn't quit, the Church of Scientology quit for him while he was having severe health problems. He had no say in the matter.
Old 04-30-2017, 11:34 PM

How many characters were killed off on Little House On The Prairie? I seem to recall coping with death was one of the major themes on that show.
Old 04-30-2017, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorne Armstrong View Post
How many characters were killed off on Little House On The Prairie? I seem to recall coping with death was one of the major themes on that show.
Yeah, but Little House On The Prairie wasn't a sitcom.
Old 05-01-2017, 12:01 AM

What about Lucy's husband in I Love Lucy?
Old 05-01-2017, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TYphoonSignal8 View Post
What about Lucy's husband in I Love Lucy?
Who, Ricky? He never died.
When "I Love Lucy" ended Lucille Ball returned with her own sitcom, "The Lucy Show" which also costarred Vivian Vance, at least for the first few seasons. On this show she was a widower (as was Vance's character) but her name was Lucy Carmichael and had no connection to "I Love Lucy", where she was Lucy Ricardo.
Old 05-01-2017, 03:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard John Marcej View Post
When "I Love Lucy" ended Lucille Ball returned with her own sitcom, "The Lucy Show" which also costarred Vivian Vance, at least for the first few seasons. On this show she was a widower (as was Vance's character) but her name was Lucy Carmichael and had no connection to "I Love Lucy", where she was Lucy Ricardo.
Well, there you go. I never noticed that they were two different shows.
Old 05-01-2017, 04:44 AM

Reno 911! characters Garcia, Clemmy, and Kimball were killed off in a taco stand explosion at the end of season 5.
Old 05-01-2017, 06:22 AM

Unhappily Ever After killed off Joyce Van Patten's in-the-opening-credits character before Season 3 -- and then killed off Stephanie Hodge, likewise, before Season 5.

Hodge got un-killed-off, but Van Patten stayed dead.
Old 05-02-2017, 10:20 PM

Emmett Kelly, Grace's father-in-law on Grace Under Fire. He was only in five episodes, the last of which aired in 1995, but the actor is still alive.

Bradford Meade on Ugly Betty. He was the publisher, Daniel Meade's father and Betty's big boss. Killed purely to further the plot. It's arguable that Ugly Betty isn't a sitcom in the strictest sense of the word (hour-long, no laugh track, "dramedy"), but it was so over-the-top, I think we can consider it.

Did Barney Miller's wife expliciltly die? She appeared in early seasons, and Barney's single status played into at least one later storyline.
Old 05-02-2017, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horatio Hellpop View Post
Did Barney Miller's wife expliciltly die? She appeared in early seasons, and Barney's single status played into at least one later storyline.
IIRC, she left him. Couldn't take being married to a cop anymore.
Old 05-03-2017, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard John Marcej View Post
Nitpick. While Lucille Ball's character was a widow, Vivian Vance's character was divorced.
Old 05-03-2017, 02:52 PM

Wasn't there a character killed off in the last episode of the first season "Popular"...Nurse Bobbi Glass, I think, one of two roles Diane Delano had on the show. I seem to remember them conducting a "vote to kill off a character" online, along with every other season ending cliff hanger they could think of.
Old 05-03-2017, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey1505 View Post
Kenny McCormick answers both this question and the OP, I think.
Kenney dies so damned much i am going to rename him "the Lazarus Child"
Old 05-03-2017, 09:28 PM

Mama's Family: Aunt Fran, played by Rue McClanahan, was killed off when the show moved from network to first-run syndication.
Old 05-03-2017, 09:57 PM

One of the main plot lines from the first season of "Soap" was the murder of Robert Urich's character, a tennis pro who was sexually active with several women, after seven episodes.
Old 05-04-2017, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim's Son View Post
Nitpick. While Lucille Ball's character was a widow, Vivian Vance's character was divorced.
Didn't remember that. A divorced character that far back? And yet they changed Mary Richards from a divorced woman to merely just having a breakup of a long relationship to please the network.
Old 05-13-2017, 02:43 PM
Charter Member

When Mandy Patemkin left Criminal Minds as Jason Gideon after season 3, he was written out, leaving the BAU because he was disillusioned with it. The character was killed off in season 10, seven years later.
Old 05-13-2017, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftg View Post
Didn't remember that. A divorced character that far back? And yet they changed Mary Richards from a divorced woman to merely just having a breakup of a long relationship to please the network.
The network was afraid people would think she'd divorced Dick van Dyke. THAT was the big no-no, not being divorced per se.
Old 05-14-2017, 10:23 AM

I'm struggling. All I've got is:

Becky from Roseanne... Except the CHARACTER doesn't die. Just a change of actress.

The first episode of The Shield deliberately made it look like Reed Diamond's character Terry Crowley was going to have a starring role. But he died at the end of the episode. But The Shield is no sit-com.

More in line with the OP and Farscape was Sci-Fi with quite a lot of comedic elements. The blue skinned humanoid plant Zhaan died on the show. In real life actress Virginia Hey was having bad reactions to the blue make up.

There was a British TV series called Randall and Hopkirk (Deceased) at the end of the sixties. Basically a private detective drama with a constant thread of humour. Martin Hopkirk, played by Kenneth Cope, is killed in the first episode. However this creates the premise of the show: Hopkirk continues to appear in a starring role but he now portrays a ghost only his partner Randall can see.

According to Wiki it was renamed My Partner the Ghost in the USA.

TCMF-2L
Old 05-14-2017, 10:30 AM

Hang on, a genuine one. Ernie 'Coach' Pantusso died on Cheers after actor Nicholas Colasanto died in real life.

TCMF-2L
Old 05-14-2017, 10:57 AM

Would "Bub" on My Three Sons qualify?

Not sure if he was killed off, but he was replaced because of William Frawley's retirement (poor health)
Old 05-14-2017, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notfrommensa View Post

Not sure if he was killed off, but he was replaced because of William Frawley's retirement (poor health)
Bub went to Ireland.
Old 05-14-2017, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickJay View Post
Susan Ross was killed off because the principle players and writers just didn't feel she and the character were working out with the rest of the show. It wasn't anything against Heidi Swedberg, they just felt the dynamic was wrong.
Also, because they had to figure out some way to get George out of marrying her. Having George married would have been all kinds of wrong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sciurophobic View Post
On the original One Day at a Time Ann's boyfriend Nick (played by the still alive Ron Rifkin) was killed between seasons 6 and 7 in a car accident. I don't know why they killed the character.
It wasn't just that they wanted more dating episodes for Ann-- they actually married her to Howard Hesseman a season later. Ron Rifkin wasn't thought to have the right chemistry for Ann or the show (I remember when it was new, and this was true; he was kind of a sore thumb), but they wanted to figure out a way to keep Cousin Oliver-- I mean, his son, Alex-- on the show, so they killed him off rather than have him simply break up with Ann, so they could do the whole story arc where Alex moves in with Ann and finishes the school year in Indianapolis before he goes to live with his mother in Chicago.

After Alex left the show, Julie had a baby, which was a more sensible way of bringing in new blood. The main set also shifted from the apartment to a house that Barbara, Julie, and their husbands rented together. Barbara and her husband were on the market to adopt a child, and it looked like the show was going to be revamped as a family sitcom about the two sisters and their kids, with Ann's role diminished (Bonnie Franklin reportedly didn't want to do more than one more season anyway). Then Mackenzie Phillips showed up high again, and the producers carried through with a threat to fire her permanently and ban her from the set.

Julie is who they should have killed, if you ever followed the opinions of a lot of fans of the show on the IMDb boards.

Rifkin commented on leaving the show in an interview. He had a long string of sitcoms he'd been asked to leave, and at the time, ODAAT was just the latest. He had a sense of humor about it.
Old 05-14-2017, 01:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by notfrommensa View Post
Uncle Charlie was fully interchangeable, so I'm not sure that even qualifies as getting rid of the character.

Quote:
William Frawley's retirement (poor health)
"Poor health" being a euphemism for alcoholism.
Old 05-14-2017, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie-Xmas View Post
When Mandy Patemkin left Criminal Minds as Jason Gideon after season 3, he was written out, leaving the BAU because he was disillusioned with it. The character was killed off in season 10, seven years later.

Not really a sitcom.
Old 05-14-2017, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCMF-2L View Post
Hang on, a genuine one. Ernie 'Coach' Pantusso died on Cheers after actor Nicholas Colasanto died in real life.

TCMF-2L

Violates the "not due to the actor's death" exception.
Old 05-14-2017, 04:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nars Glinley View Post
Not really a sitcom.
Depends on your sense of humor.
Old 05-14-2017, 06:03 PM

Rosalind Shays (Diana Muldaur) on LA Law exited the series by famously walking into an open elevator shaft. https://youtu.be/Mj8FIbuoWPY
The surprise scene where Roz and Leland are seen in bed together was ranked as the 38th greatest moment in television in an issue of EGG magazine. Equally spectacular was Roz's fatal exit from the show, falling down an elevator shaft. Muldaur joked: "I was as shocked as everybody else. I thought maybe I had asked for too much money!" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diana_Muldaur#L.A._Law
Old 05-14-2017, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvisL1ves View Post
Depends on your sense of humor.

The things that Penelope can do with her computer are certainly comedic.
Old 05-15-2017, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Violates the "not due to the actor's death" exception.
I'm getting truly desperate now.

All I have is another Simpsons character: Snowflake the cat...

TCMF-2L
Old 05-15-2017, 10:04 AM

Why do I always come up with a better example just after I have posted?

How about Kristine Z. Kochanski (Lister's love interest) from British Sci-Fi sitcom Red Dwarf?

This example slightly complicated since, in Red Dwarf fashion, Kochanski has died, but has also returned as a hallucination, from an alternative universe, as a hologram and not to mention been portrayed by a couple of different actresses over the years.

TCMF-2L
Old 05-15-2017, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCMF-2L View Post
I'm getting truly desperate now.

All I have is another Simpsons character: Snowflake the cat...
Snowball II (and III and implied IV).
Old 05-16-2017, 04:40 PM

Not sure if you call "Nichols" a sitcom...a humorous western is probably more accurate. But in the last episode the main character, played by James Garner, is killed and later on his twin brother, also played by Garner, comes to town. He leaves at the end but says he may return someday. Apparently the producers were hoping it would get picked up for a second season and having Garner as a twin brother left the door open. Garner in later years said he proposed killing the character off because he didn't want the show revived.

There is also George and Marion Kirby, along with their dog Neil, killed in the first episode of "Topper" but staying on as "that sporting spirit" and "the ghostess with the mostest".
Old 05-16-2017, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim's Son View Post
There is also George and Marion Kirby, along with their dog Neil, killed in the first episode of "Topper" but staying on as "that sporting spirit" and "the ghostess with the mostest".
Nitpicks: Their name was "Kerby" and Neil wasn't their dog initially. They met Neil just prior to the accident. Can you own a ghost-dog?

I had considered this example but ruled it out since my recollection was that the show started with Topper moving into the haunted house. (Hence George and Marion weren't killed during the run of the show.) But apparently the series did start with them alive (for a small bit) and then jumped to Topper moving in.

Anne Jeffreys, btw, is the only surviving major cast member. Of course it would be one of the ghosts.

There have been similar ghost-comedies. But for ones like My Mother the Car, the deceased died prior to the start of the series.
Old 06-14-2017, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
Ed Marinaro's character (whose name escapes me) on Hill Street Blues.
Didn't two characters (Hill & Renko) die at the end of the pilot episode of HSB but were later retconned to say that they survived?
Old 06-14-2017, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thuringwethil View Post
Didn't two characters (Hill & Renko) die at the end of the pilot episode of HSB but were later retconned to say that they survived?
They're shot but aren't pronounced dead
Old 06-14-2017, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thuringwethil View Post
The original scene had Esterhaus reporting to Furillo: "Two men down. One critical, one DOA." Renko (with his cowboy boots) was the one killed, but test audiences liked him so much, he was resurrected and that scene was reshot.

This is why Charles Haid had a special credit at the start of each episode. His contract was different from those of the people who originally signed on.
Old 06-15-2017, 10:23 PM

In "The I.T. Crowd", the big boss, Denholm Reynholm (Christopher Morris) kills himself because he's being investigated by the police. He's replaced by his son Douglas, who shows up at his dad's funeral.

It's one of my favorite British sitcoms.
Old 06-15-2017, 11:56 PM

Last Man on Earth killed off the other Phil portrayed by Boris Kodjoe. He was killed off in a botched appendectomy.

Last edited by Iggy; 06-15-2017 at 11:56 PM.
Old 06-16-2017, 01:16 AM

Every version of The Doctor (Doctor Who) was killed off.

He regenerates as a new actor. 13 so far

Last edited by aceplace57; 06-16-2017 at 01:17 AM.
Old 06-16-2017, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace57 View Post
Sitcom?
Old 06-16-2017, 09:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace57 View Post
Well, they've not all been killed off yet.
Old 06-16-2017, 10:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Bob Newhart's Professor Proton was killed off of "Big Bang Theory" although he continued to appear to Sheldon in his dreams.
Not a sitcom but, come to think about it Bob Newhart's character's ghost appeared several time in the series The Librarians.
Old 06-16-2017, 11:42 AM
Charter Member

John Goodman's character died in the final episode of the first run of "Roseanne", but will apparently be back in the new reboot as if nothing had happened.
Old 06-18-2017, 11:03 PM

Chuck Cunningham has been buried under the concrete floor of the Cunninghams' basement since the first season of "Happy Days"...

-MMM-
Old 06-19-2017, 08:27 AM

I suppose the weekly (often big-name) guest stars on the old Police Squad don't count as 'major characters'?