Old 04-29-2017, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishman View Post
To summarize the second article:

1) Use older eggs, not fresh ones. Any store-bought egg is sufficiently old, as they sit for 30+ days during handling. This is for ease of peeling. Fresh eggs do not peel well.
The article must be wrong on this. There is no way a big commercial egg company is going to have 30 days of perishable inventory sitting in refrigerated warehouses, unless they have 30 days of processing to do, which they don't. The articles I've read suggest maybe 3 days hen-->store, with an allowed 30 days of storage before they pass the sell by date.
Advertisements  
Old 04-29-2017, 09:07 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinC View Post
I put the eggs in boiling water, once they're done the pan goes in the sink and I run cold water over them for a few minutes.

Then an egg goes in a tall glass with enough water to cover it, cover the glass with one hand and shake up and down vigorously. The shell slips right off after that.
I like that idea. There's a YouTube video on it that I can't link to right now though.

-sent through my really crappy cellphone
Old 04-30-2017, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak View Post
The article must be wrong on this.
I did some googling, and you are correct. Eggs must have a sell by date assigned the day they are packaged, and the max date is 30 days. Eggs can sit an additional 1 to 3 days during collection and transport to processing facilities prior to processing.

USDA

Quote:
If an expiration date is used, it must be printed in month/day format and preceded by the appropriate prefix. "EXP," "Sell By," and "Not to be sold after the date at the end of the carton" are examples of expiration dates. Expiration dates can be no more than 30 days from the day the eggs were packed into the carton.
Old 05-05-2017, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayT View Post
The rule about peeling hardboiled eggs is this: if you intend to use them in potato salad or egg salad, cut up, then they will peel perfectly no matter how you cook them or how old they are. If you intend to make deviled eggs for a picnic attended by people you would like to impress, no matter how you cook them or how old they are, the peels will come off as described by Ukulele Ike above. Or worse.
This!

Seriously, though, in my experience, it isn't the method of cooking that's determinative. I generally have medium luck with egg peeling: in general about eight of a dozen peel perfectly, about two peel with a small blemish or two, and two are an utter mess. But I've lived all over the country, and in one area (Kansas? New Mexico? I can't remember) it was the complete opposite; I was lucky if two eggs out of the dozen peeled perfectly. I tried every method of steaming, boiling, and coddling in existence (plus I always poke a hole in the top of the egg with a pin) and nothing helped. So I can blame kitchen witches, but it's more likely something to do with the egg itself: age, breed of hen, pre-carton handling, who knows?

The only 100% success rate for easy peeling is when I make huevos haminados (eggs simmered for hours -- or days --in a seasoned onion skin bath) so maybe overcooking the eggs is the trick to easy peeling (actually, that makes sense if my troubles were in New Mexico; since water boils at a lower temperature, I might not have been cooking the eggs long enough).
Old 05-07-2017, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAF1138 View Post
Once upon a time this site required cites to support options.

So, go read this from The Food Lab

Also a follow up article with further research.

The key to perfect peeling is starting cold eggs in a hot environment. Steam or straight into boiling water. Both work.

Evidence and experiments etc etc above. Also, cooking times and methods.

Don't be fooled by old wives tales. Trust science.

Thank you! I take eggs cold, straight from the refrigerator directly into boiling water, simmer for exactly 9 minutes, then back into ice water. Easy to peel every time and perfectly cooked.

Last edited by dada2fish; 05-07-2017 at 04:25 PM.
Old 05-07-2017, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novelty Bobble View Post
I normally get mine from the local farm with a "laid on" date that is normally within the previous day or two.
I can't even remember my last "laid on" date. I think her name was Tonya.
Old 05-08-2017, 02:04 PM

For a short time there I was buying commercially packed boiled eggs at the local convenience store for eating at my desk. Sometimes they peeled perfectly and sometimes they were a complete disaster with the biggest piece of shell being maybe a 1/4" square and egg white sticking to the shell. I e-mailed the company that made them and complained. I wasn't expecting to hear anything back. They lived down to my expectations. I started making my own. BTW, the shake it in a glass of water technique works great.