Old 05-01-2017, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTFirefly View Post
For some reason, that quiz won't work for me. I can see the page OK, but when I click an answer, nothing happens, and there's nowhere to click to go to the next page.
It did that for me in Firefox. Worked reasonably well in Exploder. Only locked up once.
Advertisements  
Old 05-01-2017, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Asking Questions View Post
My wife went to HS in Tennessee. They didn't talk about the Civil War AT ALL in school. She'd probably be lucky to get 20 on this quiz. She was just never exposed to any of this history.
Oh good! That makes me feel better lol. Funny enough I got the question wrong asking which was NOT one of the original states to secede or whatever. Which was my home state of NC. I thought for sure they were part of the initial bunch.
Old 05-01-2017, 02:52 PM

47/62. It had a lot of trivia on it, and the one over-arching question (the cause of the war) was... carefully-worded, to the point of being possibly wrong.
Old 05-01-2017, 11:44 PM

A lot of the questions were never covered in my history classes. We spent perhaps two weeks on the civil war. We hit the highlights. Not the minutiae this test expected.

You would need a full semester course on the Civil War to Ace this test. Imho

Last edited by aceplace57; 05-01-2017 at 11:45 PM.
Old 05-02-2017, 12:44 AM
Charter Member

48. Also, I know that slavery was the principal cause of the Civil War, not the principle cause, so two bonus points for me!
Old 05-02-2017, 05:50 AM

49. A few I wanted to change on 2nd thought but was unable to do so.
Old 05-02-2017, 07:13 AM
born to be shunned

I missed three -- the "poet" question, percentage of the population killed, and I am ashamed to admit the list of abolitionists. In my defense I read it more as free people being against the practice rather than including slaves/escaped slaves themselves who clearly wouldn't be for the idea.
Old 05-02-2017, 07:44 AM

I got 52 out of 62. I would have gotten 53 if I'd called U S Grant "The Butcher."

That's part of The Lost Cause legend. Sainted Bobby Lee had higher casualty rates.

Edited to add: Yes, there were Black Abolitionists. William Wells Brown was one who wrote an autobiography that helped later biographers looking for details about Joe, W B Travis's slave & a survivor of he Alamo. William Wells Brown was his brother...

Last edited by Bridget Burke; 05-02-2017 at 07:47 AM.
Old 05-02-2017, 08:45 AM
Charter Member

I got 57 out of 62 (=92%) and promoted to colonel.
Old 05-02-2017, 09:11 AM
Charter Member

I got bored with the quiz after 22 questions (seriously? One question per page, with two clicks and scrolling per question, and ads on every page?). Plus, an awful lot of the quiz was just silly trivia, not anything of substance (why does it even matter what play Lincoln was seeing when he got shot?).

That said, the question about "primary, though not only, cause of the war" is wrong: Slavery was, for all intents and purposes, the only cause. States' Rights were only relevant in so far as the South rejected the right of states to ban slavery. The only other cause any of the Confederate states listed at all was tarrifs, and that was so far down in their priorities as to be basically irrelevant. Yes, I know that some schools have taught that the South was fighting for states' rights. Those schools were wrong, and we should not be afraid to point out that they were wrong.
Old 05-02-2017, 10:11 AM

Quote:
It did that for me in Firefox. Worked reasonably well in Exploder. Only locked up once.
Thanks! 52/62. I'm a colonel, does that mean I have to move to Kentucky?
Old 05-02-2017, 10:13 AM

Quote:
My wife went to HS in Tennessee. They didn't talk about the Civil War AT ALL in school. She'd probably be lucky to get 20 on this quiz. She was just never exposed to any of this history.
She took it and got 36. And some she got right were not from southern schoolin', but because her mom took her to places like the Shiloh battlefield, and from books she read that were set during the war.

(And she caught the carpetbagger's carpetbag that said "carpetbagger". They weren't even trying on that one, were they?)
Old 05-02-2017, 06:55 PM

Quote:
For some reason, that quiz won't work for me. I can see the page OK, but when I click an answer, nothing happens, and there's nowhere to click to go to the next page.
Failed on my #1 and #2 and #3 browser, but worked with #4 (Chrome).
Old 05-02-2017, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridget Burke View Post
I got 52 out of 62. I would have gotten 53 if I'd called U S Grant "The Butcher."

That's part of The Lost Cause legend. Sainted Bobby Lee had higher casualty rates.

Edited to add: Yes, there were Black Abolitionists. William Wells Brown was one who wrote an autobiography that helped later biographers looking for details about Joe, W B Travis's slave & a survivor of he Alamo. William Wells Brown was his brother...
That was another question I couldn't answe, being out of touch with current civil-war culture. Black abolutionists were not visible in my 1960's literature.
Old 05-02-2017, 07:40 PM

44, so, pretty good. Certainly for a non-American. A lot of 'well, duh' questions there, though.
Old 05-02-2017, 07:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks! 52/62. I'm a colonel, does that mean I have to move to Kentucky?
No, but you're privileged to wear white panama suits with a string tie.

55 out of 62. I owe it all to James M. McPherson's Battle Cry of Freedom. Got maybe half of my guesses right. The only one I was surprised to get wrong was the one about venereal disease.
Old 05-02-2017, 10:01 PM

41/62. On one hand, it means I really don't know anything about the Civil War. OTOH, it's low enough to qualify me to be president.
Old 05-02-2017, 10:31 PM
Charter Member

44/62. Not too bad for a Canuck.
Old 05-04-2017, 04:52 AM

52, a popular result. I was rolling early but some obscure stuff later seemed a little contrived. Good brain exercise.
Old 05-04-2017, 06:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Did you all notice the carpetbagger question illustration had the word "carpetbagger" in it?
I did but I didn't need it. Equally silly was Walt Whitman's frickin' picture on the one where he was the answer, and I vacillated on the West Point/USMA one, wondering if it was a trick question.

Oh, yeah: 49
Old 05-04-2017, 02:25 PM

38. Not too bad when I only knew a handful of the answers. A few I was reminded by the answers, and a few I reasoned out given the choices, but mostri guessed between two or more answers.

I will give them props for not falling into some of the traps that make these things easier, like having the same word repeated in two answers, giving away at least that one is right. And usng only three answers most of the time eliminated being able to ueethat to get the one correct answer.

The carpetbagger was one I knew when reminded of the word.

Last edited by BigT; 05-04-2017 at 02:25 PM.
Old 05-04-2017, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
I got bored with the quiz after 22 questions (seriously? One question per page, with two clicks and scrolling per question, and ads on every page?). Plus, an awful lot of the quiz was just silly trivia, not anything of substance (why does it even matter what play Lincoln was seeing when he got shot?).

That said, the question about "primary, though not only, cause of the war" is wrong: Slavery was, for all intents and purposes, the only cause. States' Rights were only relevant in so far as the South rejected the right of states to ban slavery. The only other cause any of the Confederate states listed at all was tarrifs, and that was so far down in their priorities as to be basically irrelevant. Yes, I know that some schools have taught that the South was fighting for states' rights. Those schools were wrong, and we should not be afraid to point out that they were wrong.
Yeah, most of the Declarations issued at the time of Secession had the protection of Slavery & White Supremacy at the top of the list. Down a bit farther was the Feds' failure to enforce the Fugitive Slave laws--some free states didn't like to cooperate with slave catchers. So much for States Rights....
Old 05-04-2017, 10:42 PM
Charter Member

I got 52 - a Colonel, because I belong to a local Civil War roundtable where most of the topics get discussed. Missed mostly questions about the dates. And it was really stupid to design a quiz where you show a picture that is also the answer.

Terrible web design - one question per page, ads on both the left and right borders, large fonts that force you to scroll up and down (so you see the ads even more). I ended up reducing the Zoom setting to 75% to eliminate that. At least they had a progress bar so you could see how much of the quiz remains.
Old 05-05-2017, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDog View Post
I did but I didn't need it. Equally silly was Walt Whitman's frickin' picture on the one where he was the answer...
I'll admit that I had no idea that the picture was of Walt Whitman, rather than any of the three alternative literary gents. I only knew about Walt's service as a nurse, thanks to a relative of mine who is a poetry buff, and practically worships WW -- about whom and his life and doings, I hear a good deal from said relative.
Old 05-23-2017, 04:38 AM
Charter Member

59. Not bad for a Canadian, but I have always been interested in history, and have played a lot of Civil War themed games (US and English).
Old 05-23-2017, 10:41 AM

36/62. Lousy. Although I have no interest in the Civil War.
Old 05-23-2017, 11:50 AM

44 with a lot of guessing.
Old 05-23-2017, 02:01 PM

Jeebus, 38, but in my defense I wasn't born in this country and was not fully aware of the depravity of this great nation of ours

Really, I need to brush up on my Civil War History, so interesting, and with many lessons perhaps still relevant today.
Old 05-24-2017, 03:21 AM

40. Pretty sad since I lived within a stone's throw of Manassas, Harper's Ferry, and an early battle near Leesburg. White's Ferry?
Old 05-24-2017, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridget Burke View Post
Yeah, most of the Declarations issued at the time of Secession had the protection of Slavery & White Supremacy at the top of the list. Down a bit farther was the Feds' failure to enforce the Fugitive Slave laws--some free states didn't like to cooperate with slave catchers. So much for States Rights....
Even if they had white supremacy involved, that inherently means that slavery was not the only cause. And, as you point out, there were other issues.

Hell, I could argue that the 3/5s compromise was one of the reasons for the Civil War. Or the geography of For Sumter. I could blame a pride in one's state that led to people choosing to fight for a cause they didn't even agree with. Sure, none of these contributed too much, really, but they did contribute.

There is never a single cause for anything.
Old 05-26-2017, 07:54 AM

34... And I'm an American who took two American history classes in college... Pretty embarrassing especially seeing how even Canadians did better than me.
Old 05-26-2017, 08:35 AM

47 for an Aussie is probably close to a pass
Old 05-26-2017, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraVires View Post
52. Some of the date questions were not something one would be expected to remember. The "primary, but not only cause" of the war question could be answered either slavery or state's rights depending on which side of the Mason-Dixon line you are on.
Or who you've been listening to/watching. Born and (mostly) raised south of the Mason-Dixon line by native Hoosiers, I've been exposed to a mixed bag. If you watched Ken Burns, you know the cause was slavery. If you read history from the south, it was all about states' rights (until you realize many in the south didn't want the northern states to have the right to protect runaway slaves.)

50 out of 62. Not so good, since I own a T-shirt that says "Civil War nut's wife"
Old 05-26-2017, 06:41 PM

45, so probably passing by most measures, but not up to my usual standards. Some questions I got right because I grew up in Virginia, the Tar Heel one because I live in North Carolina, and most of the rest because of random bits of trivia sticking in my brain. I'm pretty surprised by the actual end date of the war. Also the slavery or states rights question was pretty loaded. In rural Virginia I was taught in history class in the 80s that the cause was states rights but even as a 7th grader I knew that was bullshit, and the very presence of the question made me furious.