Old 05-23-2017, 11:49 AM

Why is cured cooked meat associated with breakfast?

What is the logic behind the fact that (in the US and UK at least) the meats associated with a cooked breakfast are almost always cured and cooked? (e.g.: bacon, sausage, ham)

I assume it is something to do with the preservative effect of curing, but why would that make it more suited to breakfast, rather than other meals?
Advertisements  
Old 05-23-2017, 11:55 AM

breakfast sausage is usually not cured.
Old 05-23-2017, 12:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jz78817 View Post
breakfast sausage is usually not cured.
Indeed. And bacon and ham are regularly consumed for other meals, too.

As to why, I'd guess quickness/ease of preparation? They're already salted, spiced, and usually just take a couple minutes to fry up. And we do have other non-cured meats for breakfast, too, like steak & eggs, chorizo & eggs, and roast beef hash (though not as common as its cured corned beef hash counterpart.)

Last edited by pulykamell; 05-23-2017 at 12:07 PM.
Old 05-23-2017, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
Indeed. And bacon and ham are regularly consumed for other meals, too.

As to why, I'd guess quickness/ease of preparation? They're already salted, spiced, and usually just take a couple minutes to fry up. And we do have other non-cured meats for breakfast, too, like steak & eggs, chorizo & eggs, and roast beef hash (though not as common as its cured corned beef hash counterpart.)
plus the bacon/sausage provides enough fat to cook the rest; fry up the bacon, then use the bacon fat for the eggs and finally the hash browns. only one pan necessary.

Last edited by jz78817; 05-23-2017 at 12:19 PM.
Old 05-23-2017, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
As to why, I'd guess quickness/ease of preparation? They're already salted, spiced, and usually just take a couple minutes to fry up.
This sounds plausible to me (maybe roast beef is good for breakfast, but who wants to have breakfast at noon?)

Possibly also, most people don't like too heavy a breakfast most of the time, so a small amount of meat with lots of flavor is better than a larger amount of less intensely flavored meat.
Old 05-23-2017, 01:35 PM
Just Lovely and Delicious
Charter Member

Seems to me that you'd want to raid the pantry for your first meal, then go out and fish or hunt to find your next meals of the day - to be consumed wholly, not left over for breakfast.

Even if you're working in a factory or something, whoever is at home can go out and buy & prepare your dinner meats for that night. Once again, to be fully consumed.
Old 05-23-2017, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZipperJJ View Post
Seems to me that you'd want to raid the pantry for your first meal, then go out and fish or hunt to find your next meals of the day - to be consumed wholly, not left over for breakfast.

Even if you're working in a factory or something, whoever is at home can go out and buy & prepare your dinner meats for that night. Once again, to be fully consumed.
Probably this very generally. Just heat up the cured meat, or cook something thin and fast like bacon or sausage. I don't know how common these meats were in the past, some of it might just be the result of marketing, just like cereal for breakfast.
Old 05-23-2017, 01:56 PM
Charter Member

It also provides a smokey counterpoint to the blandness of eggs or the sweetness of maple syrup.

Last edited by Chefguy; 05-23-2017 at 01:56 PM.
Old 05-23-2017, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quercus View Post
This sounds plausible to me (maybe roast beef is good for breakfast, but who wants to have breakfast at noon?)
I've never been one to believe in that whole 'certain foods are for certain meals only' stuff. So, to answer your question, I would like to have breakfast at noon or even at 6pm or any other time.
Old 05-23-2017, 02:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimballkid View Post
I've never been one to believe in that whole 'certain foods are for certain meals only' stuff. So, to answer your question, I would like to have breakfast at noon or even at 6pm or any other time.
There is this, too. Plenty of cultures don't have the same associations with "breakfast" as Westerners do (and, even in the West, there is a lot of divergence as to what constituted a breakfast meal.) That said, the OP did specify US and UK.

Last edited by pulykamell; 05-23-2017 at 02:06 PM.
Old 05-23-2017, 02:39 PM

Cured meat tastes good. If a person is reluctant or disinclined to eat for some reason the addition of some kind of cured meat is a "convincer". Eat! It's good for you. Tastes good, too.

Last edited by john b.; 05-23-2017 at 02:40 PM.
Old 05-23-2017, 03:05 PM

Bacon became associated with Breakfast because people who sell bacon wanted to sell more bacon and hired an ad company who said, "Hell, eat it for breakfast". And so it was done.
Old 05-23-2017, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimballkid View Post
'Breakfast for dinner.' (Typical meat, eggs, toast, taters, etc.) Is one of the best, especially if one has not actually had breakfast that day!
Old 05-23-2017, 07:12 PM

Most farms had a smokehouse and chickens in a pen. Cows in the barn.

That's a quick supply of cured pork, eggs, and milk. Breakfast had to be prepared quickly. Men had to get to the fields and work.

Breakfast is a meal that can be prepared quickly. We occasionally make it for dinner. We want a quick meal after a long day at work.
Old 05-23-2017, 07:22 PM

It is interesting that Brits have a similar tradational breakfast. With a few key differences. A Fry-Up has the standard eggs and bacon & sausage. They add baked beans, fried bread, and sliced tomatoes. The link lists other optional items.

That should fill up anybody.
http://www.seriouseats.com/2012/08/g...gredients.html

Last edited by aceplace57; 05-23-2017 at 07:26 PM.
Old 05-23-2017, 07:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quimby View Post
Bacon became associated with Breakfast because people who sell bacon wanted to sell more bacon and hired an ad company who said, "Hell, eat it for breakfast". And so it was done.
The first ready-to-eat breakfast cereal was invented in 1863. Before then "cereal" was porridge, grits or oatmeal that had to be cooked for a relatively long time.

Bacon, on the other hand, can be traced back to at least 12th century England, and sausage is mentioned by Homer. I think it's more likely that cereal was the product that needed marketing to catch on.
Old 05-23-2017, 08:24 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Sadly, this is also the answer to MOST questions.
Old 05-23-2017, 08:42 PM

Because it's easy to store and can be prepared quickly.
Old 05-23-2017, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Do you have a cite, or is this just speculation?
Old 05-24-2017, 12:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffin1977 View Post
What is the logic behind the fact that (in the US and UK at least) the meats associated with a cooked breakfast are almost always cured and cooked? (e.g.: bacon, sausage, ham)

I assume it is something to do with the preservative effect of curing, but why would that make it more suited to breakfast, rather than other meals?
Nope. It's loaded with salt, Maillard effect, grease, more Maillard effect, and salt. Who can hate it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukulele Ike View Post
Sadly, this is also the answer to MOST questions.
I mean, duh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Smithee View Post
Looking for that cite! I have no recollection of my mom saying, "Shut up and eat it, it's good for you."

Last edited by dropzone; 05-24-2017 at 12:18 AM.
Old 05-24-2017, 12:17 AM

I can remember from reading and watching very old movies breakfasts with meat referred to as ham and eggs. There was an expression back then "ham and egger". You can see ham and egg breakfasts listed in the menus in diners and cafeterias in old films.

In my life it seems that ham and eggs, while still available, have given way to bacon and eggs for a meat and egg breakfast. It's been a long time since I've ordered breakfast out so I can't remember whether ham and eggs are still listed on most breakfast menus.
Old 05-24-2017, 12:26 AM
Charter Member

OTOH, I still find a cup+ of Special K, plus a mere teaspoon of sugar and plenty-too-much milk to be a dinner for me and a snack for the dogs. Haute cuisine is lost on me.
Old 05-24-2017, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropzone View Post
OTOH, I still find a cup+ of Special K, plus a mere teaspoon of sugar and plenty-too-much milk to be a dinner for me and a snack for the dogs. Haute cuisine is lost on me.
The origins of the cereal for breakfast thing are well documented. And are the product of the Victorian obsession with pooing more and masturbating less

Last edited by griffin1977; 05-24-2017 at 01:18 AM.
Old 05-24-2017, 04:44 AM

As I mention elsewhere, I eat much less now that I'm older, so something like ham and eggs would be more my main meal of the day, eaten well after 11:00 am. But I do love the combination (and steak and eggs even more).

Three or four times a year, I like to do a full British fry-up, but whooo-boy! A platter like the one shown in the link would take me a day and a half to eat, which is why I always start cooking around 11:00 on Sunday and just stretch it out, in small portions.

I agree that bacon and breakfast sausage (links or patties) go best with pancakes or waffles served with maple syrup (and lots of butter), though I can be persuaded to pair them with eggs as well.

Last edited by terentii; 05-24-2017 at 04:45 AM.
Old 05-24-2017, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummond Bays View Post
'Breakfast for dinner.' (Typical meat, eggs, toast, taters, etc.) Is one of the best, especially if one has not actually had breakfast that day!
I'm emphatically not a morning eater, so "breakfast for dinner" is about the only time I eat meat, eggs, and taters together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffin1977 View Post
The origins of the cereal for breakfast thing are well documented. And are the product of the Victorian obsession with pooing more and masturbating less
Given the disinclination toward raw veggies in Victorian cooking, they might've needed the help pooing.

The masturbation thing, though....I'm not sure how Colon Blow Bran Nuggets would help that.

Last edited by GrumpyBunny; 05-24-2017 at 06:30 AM.
Old 05-24-2017, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Not Quimby and frankly surprised it's true but ...
Quote:
... So how did bacon become associated with the American breakfast? Let me introduce you to the grand-daddy of public relations and advertising, Mr. Edward Bernays.

The Austrian-born Bernays was the nephew of Sigmund Freud, and was quite good at using psychology ...

... In the 1920s, Bernays was approached by the Beech-Nut Packing Company – producers of everything from pork products to the nostalgic Beech-Nut bubble gum. Beech-Nut wanted to increase consumer demand for bacon. Bernays turned to his agency’s internal doctor and asked him whether a heavier breakfast might be more beneficial for the American public. Knowing which way his bread was buttered, the doctor confirmed Bernays suspicion and wrote to five thousand of his doctors friends asking them to confirm it as well. This ‘study’ of doctors encouraging the American public to eat a heavier breakfast – namely ‘Bacon and Eggs’ – was published in major newspapers and magazines of the time to great success. Beech-Nut’s profits rose sharply thanks to Bernays and his team of medical professionals. ...
Old 05-24-2017, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Here is an article about it.
Old 05-24-2017, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyBunny View Post

The masturbation thing, though....I'm not sure how Colon Blow Bran Nuggets would help that.
Didn't say it made sense:
Quote:
Kellogg thought that diet played a huge role in masturbation and that a bland diet would decrease excitability and prevent masturbation. Thus, Kellogg invented Corn Flakes breakfast cereal in 1878. He hoped that feeding children this plain cereal every morning would help to combat the urges of "self-abuse"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_H...ion_prevention
Old 05-24-2017, 07:50 PM

This thread made me curious and to share what I found - a history of how breakfast became a thing, another with some other details, and more about breakfast in ancient Greece and Rome.
Old 05-24-2017, 08:13 PM
Charter Member

Fresh meat is for dinner, because you had to go out and kill it earlier in the day. Obviously.
Old 05-24-2017, 11:34 PM

I remember reading a first-hand account of the Battle of Culloden in 1746. Bonnie Prince Charlie and his entourage breakfasted on roast goose and other assorted fowl. Didn't help them much against the English, though.
Old 05-25-2017, 02:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terentii View Post
I remember reading a first-hand account of the Battle of Culloden in 1746. Bonnie Prince Charlie and his entourage breakfasted on roast goose and other assorted fowl. Didn't help them much against the English, though.
And the Scots learned their lesson - since that day, they haven't eaten anything that hasn't been properly boiled or fried.