Old 05-16-2017, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robot Arm View Post
Don't do it. She's just using you to get a teeny, weenie, weensy, weenie, nine-foot-long piece of rope.
[CUE MUTED TRUMPET MUSIC]: Wah-wah-wahhhhhh ... wah-wah-wah-wha-wha-wah-wah, wah-wahhhhhhhh....
Advertisements  
Old 05-16-2017, 04:40 PM

if you were to be transported to the universe of a sitcom as *you*.

take a fifties sitcom: I don't think many modern young girls would appreciate not being able to wear pants to school, being expected to perform Christianity and attend church or suffer repercussions, being nicknamed something like Kitten and being expected to get their "MRS" instead of an actual education.

Oh and only having newspapers, radio and TV would probably suck to a modern kid...

Last edited by Princess Perfume; 05-16-2017 at 04:40 PM.
Old 05-16-2017, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Perfume View Post

Oh and only having newspapers, radio and TV would probably suck to a modern kid...
The information they have is always timely and relevant, though. You don't even have to sit through ads (unless they are somehow relevant to your current predicament); just turn on the TV or open the newspaper and -bam- the important information is right there for you.
Old 05-17-2017, 05:23 PM

I figured it out this weekend; Family Affair. To me it showed real love within the family. Who wouldnt want Uncle Bill for an uncle? Lots of money and a gentleman's gentleman to cook and clean!!
Old 05-17-2017, 06:40 PM
Charter Member

I'm not sure that it qualifies, but ... I wouldn't mind an extended stay on The Love Boat.
Old 05-17-2017, 07:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

take a fifties sitcom: I don't think many modern young girls would appreciate not being able to wear pants to school, being expected to perform Christianity and attend church or suffer repercussions, being nicknamed something like Kitten and being expected to get their "MRS" instead of an actual education.

You know, I grew up in the '60's. My mother had a college degree, my father didn't. My family took education seriously. We didn't have cutesy nicknames. My brother wasn't "Champ", and my sisters weren't "Kitten" or "Princess" (hey! you resemble that!). As a girl, what I asked for and got for Christmas when I was 7 was a flashlight, a pocket knife and a pair of cowboy boots. I climbed trees and read books instead of playing with dolls. And that was fine with my parents. No one was concerned with the fact that I was a "tomboy" or worried that I might turn out funny (re: gay). Or at least not that I knew of in my kid-world. Yes, I was expected to go to church, just like I was expected to be home for dinner, go to my grandparents, or any other family activity. We only had three channels, but the library was a bike ride away. My father would expect a daughter to help rewire a light or reset a toilet, and my brother scrubbed the kitchen floor every Sunday on his hands and knees. I think the restriction looks a lot worse when you weren't there.

StG
Old 05-17-2017, 09:04 PM

How does this work exactly
Do i get Marlo Thomas? or Eva Gabor could be interesting and if not, i could ride down to Petticoat Junction?

Beverly Hillbillies could be fun, Granny would be a riot to hang out with and help test "medicine" and she might fix a guy up with Elly May. Course Jed might shoot me?

Heck with Ginger and the island, already live in florida, got plenty of sand and hurricanes, and she would just want something constantly.

I Dream of Genie would work except for too many of you guys trying to barge in the door

Is get smart a sit com? Barbara Feldon is there
Old 05-17-2017, 09:10 PM

If we can do radio, i'll go to the jack benny show and visit Mary Livingstone
Old 05-26-2017, 08:49 PM

If i were transported to an old fifties sitcom, would i really be able to cope with my sister(s) Peggy Sue and Mary Lou saying things like "Uh-uh-uh! Mom said no one can touch those brownies till after dinner!"
Old 05-26-2017, 09:06 PM
Charter Member

I could live in mid-1970s Chicago and go see my psychologist, Dr. Bob Hartley. Elliot Carlin and I would be bitter, but hilarious, rivals.
Old 05-26-2017, 09:11 PM

Quote:
If i were transported to an old fifties sitcom, would i really be able to cope with my sister(s) Peggy Sue and Mary Lou saying things like "Uh-uh-uh! Mom said no one can touch those brownies till after dinner!"
I'd like to be able to say such things as "Hey, do you want a hunk of milk?" to Eddie Haskell.
Old 05-26-2017, 09:27 PM
BANNED

...is this where Gillian Anderson asks me if I want to see Lucy's tits...?
Old 05-27-2017, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywatcher View Post
I pretty much did. My first 11 years were spent in a small (official population: 200) farming community 50 miles (as the crow flies) south of Chicago. Post office, volunteer fire department, lumber company, barber, gas station, grocer, diner, limestone quarry turned swimming hole*. No stop lights and no minorities other than one Puerto Rican family.
Quote:

take a fifties sitcom: /snip/ being expected to get their "MRS" instead of an actual education.
LOL, as a minority woman with a postgraduate degree I simply wouldn't exist in the 50s sitcom era--so if I were to go back then as the current "me" I'd be invisible or a real oddity.

Last edited by gkster; 05-27-2017 at 12:19 AM.
Old 05-27-2017, 12:43 AM

I wouldn't mind living in Bob Newhart's bed and breakfast.
Old 05-27-2017, 12:47 AM

I'll take the world of "Mad About You," especially if I get Jamie Buchman with it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
Old 05-27-2017, 03:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
I'll take the world of "Mad About You," especially if I get Jamie Buchman with it.
Been watching reruns lately. Jamie Buchman may be cute and all, but she is VERY high maintenance and a major flake. I think before long you would grab Murray and sneak out in the middle of the night.
Old 05-27-2017, 08:29 AM
Charter Member

The blue collar world portrayed in Roseanne was more like my neighborhood than other sitcoms. I would be comfortable there.
Old 05-27-2017, 09:34 AM

I would happily assume Floyd the Barber's role in Mayberry. Give the occasional butch cut, spend the rest of the time sitting on the bench outside debating whether to go to the fillin' station for a root beer or to the diner for lunch.

That, that's right Andy, yeahhhhh

mmm
Old 05-27-2017, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by panache45 View Post
I grew up in one of those worlds. But bear in mind that behind the picket fences and perfect lawns, life was not like it appeared on tv. There were things in my childhood that I'd never want to return to. In some respects, the American Dream was a nightmare.
This is true. I grew up in the 50's and 60's, the whole roaming-the-neighborhood-on-my-bike-all-day. Ice cream truck, no A/C, peanut butter and jelly for lunch every day, Leave It To Beaver, Father Knows Best, Marcus Welby. It was, of course, a simpler time, but that doesn't mean it was a good time. I was raised in a tense, dysfunctional family and most every day was a misery. We got by, just barely middle class, not much money... I spent as much time as I could with a single aunt, my cousins up the street, and my grandma (and never a day goes by that I don't think about her). I wouldn't want to suffer through those days ever again.... Mayberry N.C. with Andy, Opie, and Aunt Bea looked as warm and comforting as a basket of muffins right out of the oven! Later in my life, I yearned to be a mail-order bride on Here Come the Brides (the bluest skies you've ever seen are in Se-attle!) Grown and away, Away, AWAY from 'home'.

Last edited by salinqmind; 05-27-2017 at 10:28 AM.
Old 05-27-2017, 11:14 AM

I think this question needs more clarification.

Is it asking:
(a) Would you like to live in archetypal 1950s America with friendly neighbors and picket fences and so forth?
(b) Pick a situation comedy, and insert yourself into its situation, with its cast of characters. Would you be happy?
(c1) Do (b), but with the added restriction that you're continuing to live by the trope of sitcoms, so every time you buy groceries you end up with a baguette sticking out of your bag, etc.
(c2) Same as (c1) but with the qualification that you're not necessarily one of the main characters of the sitcom.
Old 05-27-2017, 08:57 PM

I think the episode with Frank Grimes showed that a real person from our universe couldn't survive in the Simpsons world.
Also wouldn't fare too well in Duckman's universe.
Old 05-27-2017, 09:10 PM

Topper would be fun , I could a have ghost dog for a pet and bring it everywhere.
The Rifleman looks cool with all that open land wild horses. Most of the 'older' sitcom are too 'White' for me ,if Mayberry had some Black people living there I pick it for a short visit .
Old 05-27-2017, 09:29 PM

There was once a show called Life On Mars in the UK in which.... oh, dear, this might be a spoiler. Sorry.

SPOILER:
In the last episode, the main character learns that all of his experiences in the series have been a hallucination. He chooses to stay within that world rather than return to the real world.

There was also a different show called Life On Mars in the US in which there was also a plot twist at the end, but it was completely different. (probably worse IMHO)
Old 05-27-2017, 10:08 PM

I wouldn't last five minutes in the Brady Bunch without wanting to introduce Marcia to being a face on a milk carton. She's quite a jerkish hyper-sexualized snobby and rude human being.
Old 05-27-2017, 11:42 PM

The Golden Girls version of the 1980s. I mean Blanche only works 12 hours a week and look at all the clothes and sex she had. We could go to The Rusty Anchor and hit on the guys.

Mary Tyler Moore had it pretty good too. So did Murphy Brown.
Old 05-27-2017, 11:47 PM

If we include movies, I'm surprised some women elsewhere would like to be the woman in Sleepless in Seattle. You can be anything in any movie or tv show and instead you want to experience life as a woman who listens to the radio?!?
Old 05-28-2017, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Garrison View Post
Been watching reruns lately. Jamie Buchman may be cute and all, but she is VERY high maintenance and a major flake. I think before long you would grab Murray and sneak out in the middle of the night.
Perhaps, but exponentially better grounded than her sister.
Old 05-28-2017, 12:53 AM

I don't recall many "classic" sitcoms having many black people. So, hard pass.
Old 05-28-2017, 12:59 AM

I've said for years I basically grew up in the world of Leave it to Beaver just with a healthy dose of Baptist mixed in. Mostly a very pleasant experience.

If I could choose a classic sitcom world my choice would be The Dick Van Dyke Show. Duh.

Though The Andy Griffith Show would be a pleasant place to spend time too.

Last edited by Kolak of Twilo; 05-28-2017 at 01:00 AM.
Old 05-28-2017, 02:12 AM
And Full Contact Origami
SDSAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrForrester View Post
There was once a show called Life On Mars in the UK in which.... oh, dear, this might be a spoiler. Sorry.

SPOILER:
In the last episode, the main character learns that all of his experiences in the series have been a hallucination. He chooses to stay within that world rather than return to the real world.
And then
SPOILER:
...the Test Card Girl switches him off.
Old 05-28-2017, 03:45 AM

Be interesting living as a character through a movie's transitions and montages. I explored that in my fiction piece where a husband and wife experience The Blue Lagoon with the tech malfunctioning and the husband having to live through the movie as Emmeline.
Old 05-28-2017, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reluctant A. View Post
Well there was Julia. Show started in 1968 so I think it counts. It was still following older classic pre-Mary Tyler Moore/All in the Family/MASH sitcom style.

Also Hogan's Heroes. Though Hogan's Heroes was not a place to be.

Damn, there weren't even black domestics on sitcoms in the 60s, were there?
Too bad I, Spy doesn't count as a sitcom, it was a humorous action show but not a sitcom.
Old 05-28-2017, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by What Exit? View Post
Damn, there weren't even black domestics on sitcoms in the 60s, were there?
Danny Thomas had one, I think. A woman. I forget her name right offhand, and whether she was a cook or a maid (probably both).

Jack Benny had Rochester, of course.

And going way, way back, there was Beulah.

At the other end of the ethnic scale, there was Sammee Tong on Bachelor Father.

Not "ethnic," but not 'Merican neither, were the two Mr Frenches on Family Affair.

Last edited by terentii; 05-28-2017 at 10:53 AM.
Old 05-28-2017, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reluctant A. View Post
Well, there was Amos 'n' Andy (1951-1953), but I'm assuming that's an even harder pass.
Old 05-28-2017, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudshark View Post
The Golden Girls version of the 1980s. I mean Blanche only works 12 hours a week and look at all the clothes and sex she had. We could go to The Rusty Anchor and hit on the guys.

Mary Tyler Moore had it pretty good too. So did Murphy Brown.
Yes! Forgot about these. Golden Girls had it MADE. Just one of them had more charm, energy, excitement, and fun than I've had in decades. Loves the girls!
Old 05-28-2017, 01:03 PM

"Would you choose to live in a classic era sitcom world?"

Do I get to kiss Laura Petrie? Then yes.
Old 05-28-2017, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftg View Post
Well, there was Amos 'n' Andy (1951-1953), but I'm assuming that's an even harder pass.
You assume rightly.
Old 05-28-2017, 01:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas Jackson View Post
"Would you choose to live in a classic era sitcom world?"

Do I get to kiss Laura Petrie? Then yes.
Only if I get tired of it!
{I won't get tired of it.}
Old 05-28-2017, 02:56 PM

I read somewhere that Andy Griffith wanted black characters on Andy Griffith, but southern networks said that they wouldn't air the show if there were. Still managed to sneak a few into crowd scenes, and one color episode had a black guest star (a football player, who I'm assuming was a famous real-life football player of the time.)

Last edited by Darren Garrison; 05-28-2017 at 02:57 PM.
Old 05-28-2017, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Garrison View Post
I read somewhere that Andy Griffith wanted black characters on Andy Griffith, but southern networks said that they wouldn't air the show if there were.
I think you meant southern "network affiliates".
Old 05-28-2017, 08:40 PM

Yeah, "black-free" edits of tv show episodes that feature blacks were available for stations in the South in the 50s and 60s.
Old 05-29-2017, 12:14 AM

Of course the fuss over Amos and Andy is why blacks had to wait until the eighties for a Cosby Show.
Old 05-29-2017, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Of course the fuss over Amos and Andy is why blacks had to wait until the eighties for a Cosby Show.
I tried watching that once, back in the '80s. It was so sickeningly sweet, I needed a shot of insulin afterward.

What about all those series in the '70s, where blacks were junk dealers and lived in public housing? I find those far more insulting than Amos 'n' Andy, which was well-written and featured brilliant comic actors. It was a hilarious series, regardless of the ethnicity of its players.
Old 05-29-2017, 12:48 AM

Oh, i agree. It's like Song of the South.. people who condemn people for holding common beliefs of the time - it's like condemning people for drinking water.
Old 05-29-2017, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terentii View Post
I tried watching that once, back in the '80s. It was so sickeningly sweet, I needed a shot of insulin afterward.

What about all those series in the '70s, where blacks were junk dealers and lived in public housing? I find those far more insulting than Amos 'n' Andy, which was well-written and featured brilliant comic actors. It was a hilarious series, regardless of the ethnicity of its players.
No love for The Jeffersons then?
Old 05-29-2017, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by What Exit? View Post
No love for The Jeffersons then?
Hey, who can resist a black bigot who moves up to the East Side? (They had a black servant, too!)
Old 06-10-2017, 10:04 AM

David should have stayed in Pleasantville where he had a teenage cheerleader for a girlfriend which i doubt he has in reality given his geekiness and love of ancient tv shows.
Old 06-10-2017, 10:20 AM

Quote:
David should have stayed in Pleasantville where he had a teenage cheerleader for a girlfriend which i doubt he has in reality given his geekiness and love of ancient tv shows.
Or maybe he realized he would rather find a girl who shared his love for old TV and geeky things and had more going for her than a big set of pom-poms.
Old 06-10-2017, 11:22 AM

Nobody's mentioned Northern Exposure or The Greatest American Hero yet. They would both be interesting universes in which to live somewhere adjacent to the action. To be strictly speaking a sitcom, I think I would like to spend some time in the Night Court universe. You'd never know what was going to come through the door... but it was probably going to be weird.
Old 06-11-2017, 02:13 AM

Be interesting to live in sitcom universes where the supporting characters were played by actors who later became famous for other things. Take Night Court where Brent Spiner guested before becoming Data on Star Trek: NextGen.