Old 06-11-2017, 03:03 AM

The one thing about the earlier sitcom worlds that makes it better than here is that nothing truly bad ever happens. It always works out.

Then there are other things that would be problems in the real world but not in sitcom land. Sure, wearing a dress can be cold, but it's never going to be cold enough to be a problem (unless you're trapped in a freezer, and then you'll get out.) Rape is not a problem, either. Abuse isn't a problem. And people who are act "abnormal" are usually decent people.

I do admit the lack of diversity is a problem, even if you aren't a minority yourself. But I already live in whitesville USA, so I personally don't seem much difference. I do know that, if any person of color shows up, anyone who treats them badly will be treated badly, and racism will be solved in 30 minutes.

My point is, the idealization actually does have advantages that make it work. The rosy past really is that rosy in the sitcom world.

Also, no one ever legitimately had anxiety disorders, either, so that would be a plus. All they had was noticing something strange about others and people thinking they are crazy. But I'm genre savvy, so that won't be a problem. Why would I want to even try to upset the order of things?

I do agree that you have to avoid the "it's okay to treat your wife like crap" era, and you have to avoid the intentional "dysfunctional family" shows, but the rest would work out pretty well, I think.
Advertisements  
Old 06-12-2017, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekedolphin View Post
I wouldn't mind living in Bob Newhart's bed and breakfast.
Perfect! I always loved that show -- there was something about the atmosphere of Newhart's little Vermont inn that was as idyllic as its opening theme music.

Father Knows Best wouldn't work because some of the 50s values it extolls would drive me crazy. It is inconceivable that Margaret could ever be anything other than a slavishly devoted housewife and baby factory in a household in which Jim is the lord and master. Minorities are either non-existent or, like the Mexican gardener who makes an appearance in one or two episodes, prove their worth by meekly trying to figuratively whiten and Anglify themselves and thus become "real" Americans, though forever inferior to the authentic ones like the Andersons. There is an amazing episode called "Betty the Engineer" in which Betty tries to become some sort of surveyor, and the show demonstrates how inappropriate this is by having all the male engineers ridicule her -- but it all ends well when one of the males brings her a pretty dress and asks her out on a date, and Betty finally learns that a young woman's true calling is to be a devoted housewife just like her mom.

Andy Griffith is just too rural for me as a place to live. And the Mary Tyler Moore show is somehow vaguely depressing for reasons I can't quite put my finger on. Mary (and also most of her friends, like Rhoda) is striving to make it in the world, but seems stuck in a sort of permanent limbo. She seems unable to form long-term relationships (which would ruin the show's premise), she is renting a sort of bachelor pad, her whole existence seems a bit fragile and lonely, surrounded by superficial friends. Her most intimate relationship seems to be an implausibly close bond with a father-figure boss.

Yes, I think Newhart is it.
Old 06-12-2017, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpup View Post
Andy Griffith is just too rural for me as a place to live.
Andy Griffith is actually more urban than where I live. (And where I live is still too populated for my tastes--I'd rather have a location more like where the Darlings live, assuming that it had internet access.) Basically, if I can see or even hear a neighbor, the neighbors are too close.
Old 06-16-2017, 05:02 PM
Charter Member

My sitcom theory is that many '60s sitcoms exist together in what I call the Wacky Hijinks Universe. It starts with My Favorite Martian, Bewitched, and I Dream of Genie: the continual use of supernatural power has weakened the fabric of reality, allowing absurdly impossible things to occur. Thus the events pictured in Gilligan's Island, Green Acres, and The Beverly Hillbillies to name just a few.
Old 06-16-2017, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpup View Post
Father Knows Best wouldn't work because some of the 50s values it extolls would drive me crazy. It is inconceivable that Margaret could ever be anything other than a slavishly devoted housewife and baby factory in a household in which Jim is the lord and master.
Nothing against Robert Young the actor, but Jim was actually kind of a dolt, and virtually every little crisis was resolved regardless of the "advice" he dispensed. I always got the feeling that Margaret was just humoring him, and the household ran on a combination of her management and sheer inertia.
Old 06-16-2017, 11:07 PM

By the end of FKB, Kitten was 15 but they still had her clothes and hairdo that of a pre-teen. Total misfire. Lauren Chapin had gotten all teenage "tits and lipstick" but they didnt want to let Kitten grow up.
Old 06-16-2017, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Perfume View Post
By the end of FKB, Kitten was 15 but they still had her clothes and hairdo that of a pre-teen. Total misfire. Lauren Chapin had gotten all teenage "tits and lipstick" but they didnt want to let Kitten grow up.
See? Inertia!
Old 06-16-2017, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Garrison View Post
Since many old sitcoms gave an idealized, clean, peaceful, unrealistic view of the world, I'm sure that many of them would be a better place to live. (If forced to live in one, I'd probably go with Andy Griffith.)
That's the thing. We know that in reality, the world depicted in those sitcoms didn't exist - the women were frustrated by how limited their options were, African Americans were excluded from almost everything, etc. etc. BUT in the TV sitcom versions, all was well.

Of course I would never want to live in the "real" version of the sitcom world, since we know it was racist, sexist, and ignorant in so many ways. But if the idealized version were really true, and no one was being harmed and everyone was actually happy? At this stage in my life, where I am retired, slightly lazy, and perfectly happy to divide my time between housewifey things and reading, I'd probably love it.

Last edited by CairoCarol; 06-16-2017 at 11:20 PM.
Old 06-18-2017, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weisshund View Post
If we can do radio, i'll go to the jack benny show and visit Mary Livingstone
She WAS on the TV version, too...

I think I'd do well as Don Wilson. Or perhaps living in Allen's Alley...

-MMM-
Old 06-18-2017, 11:48 PM

The cast of Arrested Development is similar to my extended family but more normal.

If they ever made a sitcom of this classic family * I will have found my element.

*featuring awesome Dude Robert-like question: "Dad, why is Rhodesia called Rhodesia?"

I could see myself fitting in also with this family , minus the gratuitous laugh-track, which would probably drive me crazy IRL.
However, that gift the parents give me as motivation to "get ahead"...........priceless.

Me and the Chimp - They could maybe write an episode where I move in as the "grumpy border" and have to put up that goddamn monkey stealing food off my plate, among other headaches.
Old 06-19-2017, 12:08 AM
Elephant Whisperer

Depends on whether they still sold condoms down at the drugstore.
Old 06-19-2017, 02:20 PM

Aww come ON!!

Quote:
Be interesting to live in sitcom universes where the supporting characters were played by actors who later became famous for other things. Take Night Court where Brent Spiner guested before becoming Data on Star Trek: NextGen.
You mention it without linking to it??
First time
Repeat performance
And for a three-peat
Old 06-19-2017, 02:49 PM
SDSAB

Interesting question. I had a good childhood and can't think of any classic-era sitcoms I'd want to live in, although as a white guy and a lawyer I'd be in pretty good shape in Fifties TV society. Later on, being pals with the characters on Friends, Roseanne, Seinfeld or Frasier might be fun for awhile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDog View Post
Some years ago, Analog had a novella (title and author unfortunately forgotten) where a woman and a man had to time-travel back to 1965 and Save the World by preventing something from happening. Rather than physically going back, though, it was their adult minds that were sent back to temporarily hijack their younger selves (15 for the woman, 14 for the guy). One of the big difficulties in carrying out the mission was how restricted a high-school girl was, especially then. The guy had a little more freedom but more difficulty getting the couple hundred miles to where she was, to say nothing of disappearing for a couple days....
Something similar happens in Ken Grimwood's excellent live-your-life-over-again novel Replay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrForrester View Post
Nobody's mentioned Northern Exposure....
Ugh, no. If I ended up stuck in Cicely, Alaska, I'd probably kill Dr. Fleischman's infuriatingly passive-aggressive secretary within a week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CairoCarol View Post
...Of course I would never want to live in the "real" version of the sitcom world, since we know it was racist, sexist, and ignorant in so many ways. But if the idealized version were really true, and no one was being harmed and everyone was actually happy? At this stage in my life, where I am retired, slightly lazy, and perfectly happy to divide my time between housewifey things and reading, I'd probably love it.
Well said, and seconded (except for the "housewifey" part).
Old 06-19-2017, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie The Horrible View Post
If they ever made a sitcom of this classic family * I will have found my element.

*featuring awesome Dude Robert-like question: "Dad, why is Rhodesia called Rhodesia?"
In one of his travelogue series, Michael Palin was in Rhodesia, and explained that it was named for Cecil Rhodes. I assume he did so as a deliberate callback.
Old 06-19-2017, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCnDC View Post
ETA: JK . If was going to live in an 80s sitcom, Silver Spoons seems like a lot more fun.
THIS! Especially if Erin Gray was always at my home.
Old 06-20-2017, 03:46 AM

TBH, if we were suddenly put back in our childhood selves, we would seem to our parents, teachers, social circle etc to have undergone a SUDDEN and MASSIVE personality change. Also, neither my primary or high school allowed female students to wear the trousers version of the school uniform until years after i had left them so that would s u c k right off the bat.
Old 07-04-2017, 01:26 AM

Wouldn't like to live in Columbo. I'd soon get mighty sick of the trench-coated lackwit always saying "just one more thing" and squinting with his fake eye!
Old 07-04-2017, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Wouldn't like to live in Columbo. I'd soon get mighty sick of the trench-coated lackwit always saying "just one more thing" and squinting with his fake eye!
Sitcom?
Old 07-04-2017, 02:19 AM

no, but its a tv show i still wouldn't like to live in.

As for a sitcom, I'd enter Family Ties with a magic wand and change Brian Bonsall's character to a little girl who might be much more tolerable to live with.
Old 07-04-2017, 10:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Provided you didn't live in Los Angeles, murder anyone, or especially if you weren't Robert Culp, I don't think you'd ever come to Columbo's attention.

And anyway it's not "his" universe; he shares a reality with several other notable persons including M.E. Quincy and Deputy Marshal McCloud:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_NBC_Mystery_Movie
Old 07-04-2017, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Did you ever see the Christmas family reunion show? I just saw it this past Christmas season. I thought Lauren was best looking actress from the show.

I like Donna Reed a lot more than Father knows best. FKB did have its moments though
Old 07-04-2017, 02:14 PM

As much as I like Star Trek I dont think I would want to be on the Enterprise. Always so close to either death or being transformed into a cube and crushed.

As for old TV I would take Mayberry. Yes small town but it had alot of things like a department store and where the town drunk was actually amusing.
Old 07-04-2017, 08:17 PM

Yeah.
That's another thought... would someone like to live in the original sitcom or in one of the reunion/sequel shows of it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBlueYonder View Post
Did you ever see the Christmas family reunion show? I just saw it this past Christmas season. I thought Lauren was best looking actress from the show.

I like Donna Reed a lot more than Father knows best. FKB did have its moments though
Old 07-05-2017, 03:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanredneck View Post
As much as I like Star Trek I dont think I would want to be on the Enterprise. Always so close to either death or being transformed into a cube and crushed.
Plenty of Starfleet vessels took casualties or were destroyed altogether- the Enterprise actually did better than average to lose "only" a quarter of its crew over the three year period TOS covered.
Old 07-05-2017, 03:14 PM
SDSAB

I wouldn't call Star Trek (in any version) a "sitcom," though.
Old 07-05-2017, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elendil's Heir View Post
Tribbles & Piece of the Action?
Old 07-05-2017, 06:10 PM

Mayberry or Hooterville for me. Maybe become a permanent boarder at the Shady Rest....
Old 07-05-2017, 09:06 PM

I remember the house on Father Knows Best as being very dark and depressing, did it have dark wallpaper or not many windows? Whereas the house on Donna Reed was very light and airy and optimistic so I'd pick that one since the "rules" don't allow me to be Della Street on Perry Mason.
Old 07-06-2017, 11:47 PM
Elephant Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elendil's Heir View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by What Exit? View Post
Maybe Galaxy Quest?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCAdian View Post
Mayberry or Hooterville for me. Maybe become a permanent boarder at the Shady Rest....
I wouldn't mind living in Green Acres maybe.
Old 07-07-2017, 02:26 AM

Hasn't the Green Acres world only recently been introduced to talking pictures and perfume for your armpits?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siam Sam View Post
I wouldn't mind living in Green Acres maybe.
Old 07-07-2017, 10:44 AM
SDSAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by What Exit? View Post
The show itself wasn't a sitcom - it's an sf adventure series - even if particular episodes were written for laughs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siam Sam View Post
Maybe Galaxy Quest?
That's a Star Trek spoof, not a sitcom.

Of course YMMV.

Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 07-07-2017 at 10:44 AM.
Old 07-08-2017, 10:06 AM

I wonder how Kramer would react to being told about Michael Richards' racist tirade?
Old 07-08-2017, 11:10 AM

He would twitch rather hard, make some strange wordless noise, and silently leave the room after fumbling with the doorknob.
Old 07-08-2017, 05:23 PM

I can't think of any possible reason to ever live in Cincinnati, but working at a certain radio station in the late '70's would be a trip.
Old 07-08-2017, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Goob View Post
I can't think of any possible reason to ever live in Cincinnati, but working at a certain radio station in the late '70's would be a trip.
Sure it would--until you were bombed with turkeys.
Old 07-08-2017, 08:57 PM
Charter Member

If you're willing to be generous with the word "classic", it would be nice to live in the world of the main characters from the HBO sitcom Entourage. They live very well for a struggling actor and his best friends from home.
Old 07-08-2017, 09:49 PM

WKRP would be great... until WLS Musicradio lures you away (I almost said WKS which is Papa Keaton's station from Family Ties!)
Old 07-08-2017, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terentii View Post
Nothing against Robert Young the actor, but Jim was actually kind of a dolt, and virtually every little crisis was resolved regardless of the "advice" he dispensed. I always got the feeling that Margaret was just humoring him, and the household ran on a combination of her management and sheer inertia.
Sorry for the late response but I confess I wasn't following this thread after I posted (OK, I forgot about it! ). Actually the original premise of the show was supposed to be that the title was ironic and that Jim really was a dolt as you say. But this shifted in the second season (I think) or somewhere around there, and Jim suddenly became preternaturally wise. "Wise", of course, in the context of the times -- taking misogyny and bigotry in stride as the natural order of things. I'm still astounded at the "Betty the Engineer" episode I mentioned -- basically a big laugh-fest about the silliness of a mere girl wanting an actual career just like a man -- but there were many others.