Old 05-12-2017, 04:45 PM

How do you get BANNED?

Not that I am trying to, but it seems that every time I open a zombie, there is some poster who is shown as BANNED and I began to wonder what transgression you have to commit. I just read a thread about locksmiths and not one but two of the posters on that 7 year old thread are BANNED. Neither seemed to say anything exceptionable on that thread and I have to wonder what they did.
Old 05-12-2017, 04:48 PM

Spammers and Trolls are banned quite frequently and without much notice. Regular users may be banned for repeated rule violations. It would not be a surprise to any poster if they were banned - they would have had multiple chances to modify their posting behavior.
Old 05-12-2017, 04:49 PM

You can always do a search on their posts - something in their last few posts will often give a clue about what happened.
Old 05-12-2017, 04:58 PM
Charter Member

If the mods discover a sock name, both names are banned, supposedly without warning or extensive discussion. I could be wrong, but I'm not a sock or sockette.
Old 05-12-2017, 06:10 PM
Robot Mod in Beta Testing

You can get instantly banned for trolling, socking, or threatening legal action.

Other than that, we generally give out warnings. If you repeatedly ignore the warnings and continue the bad behavior you can eventually get banned.

If you want to know why a specific user was banned, you can send me (or any other mod) a PM and we can look it up for you. We prefer not to discuss that type of thing in public.
Old 05-12-2017, 07:04 PM

I has often struck me (but I was never seriously injured, tyvm), when reading ancient zombie threads, how many of the posters there are banned. It sometimes seems like the probability of any poster getting banned approaches 1.000 as a poster's tenure here approaches ∞ so that older threads tend to have surprisingly high proportions of the banned and the damned in them.

Eventually, apparently, everybody gets banned. Marley23 was one who realized that long ago, and far-sighted enough to make it fast and painless for everyone.
Old 05-12-2017, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by engineer_comp_geek View Post
You can get instantly banned for trolling, socking, or threatening legal action.
What if we just hint that there are secret tapes that you better hope we don't have?
Old 05-12-2017, 07:05 PM

I for one am grateful for the banned posters. That's usually the only way I know I'm reading a zombie thread. For some reason that big BANNED notice under their name catches my eye a lot better than an old date does.
Old 05-12-2017, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senegoid View Post
What if we just hint that there are secret tapes that you better hope we don't have?
Reported
Old 05-12-2017, 08:08 PM

It's actually pretty difficult to get banned around here, but some folks are surprising good at it!
Old 05-12-2017, 10:44 PM
Charter Member

ISTR some years ago, a mod or admin explained that a lot of those posters had gone inactive, and then some time later came back under a new name. When the duplication was discovered, both accounts were BANNED, but some of them appealed and one of their accounts was reinstated.
Old 05-12-2017, 11:50 PM
born to be shunned

I believe a couple folks have actually asked to get banned and a few flamed their way to a banning. We've had a lot of different people here over the years and a lot of unique personalities; think of a way to get banned and someone has done it.
Old 05-13-2017, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Eventually, apparently, everybody gets banned. Marley23 was one who realized that long ago, and far-sighted enough to make it fast and painless for everyone.

Yep, you just missed it, we spent over 2 hours in Purgatory (although it felt like an eternity!) before being sent back to save the Earth.
Old 05-13-2017, 07:29 AM

I didn't experience that being, at the time, suspended. FTR, and to answer the OP.
Old 05-13-2017, 09:05 AM

I guess it is pretty much as expected. I didn't know about the sock puppets. And no, I am not interested in knowing why X was banned, only what the general criteria were, in case I ever aspired to such a state.
Old 05-13-2017, 09:47 AM

Being a jerk is a good start. I don't recall you making any effort in that direction.
Old 05-13-2017, 10:00 AM
Charter Member

Usually, folks get banned for accurately predicting the sweeps of the next thousand years of human history and acting on that knowledge to shepherd a community of guardians of knowledge to rebuild a new Galactic empire. So you shouldn't have anything to worry abo-- Oh, wait.

Hang on a moment while I just zip over to the moderator control panel real quick-- This'll only be a second.
Old 05-13-2017, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropzone View Post
Being a jerk is a good start.
Coming out of turn 2 it's Jerk in front, followed by...
Old 05-13-2017, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicat View Post
If the mods discover a sock name, both names are banned, supposedly without warning or extensive discussion. I could be wrong, but I'm not a sock or sockette.
Sez you. And, funny enough, so does "Musidog."

Old 05-13-2017, 01:44 PM

As I posted in a similar thread a while back you really need to work hard to get permanently banned here, unless of course you're a sock or a spammer in which case it's easy. I've been on quite a few boards over the years and many of them you merely have to look awry at a moderator to get the boot. In this place the mods always have a reason other than it is their will to have it so.
Old 05-13-2017, 02:16 PM
The Turtle Moves!
Charter Member

Alternately, you could call [redacted] a [redacted] [redacted] with delusions of [redacted.] That should be good for a banning.
Old 05-13-2017, 03:15 PM
Domo Arigato Mister Moderato

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldiboronti View Post
As I posted in a similar thread a while back you really need to work hard to get permanently banned here, unless of course you're a sock or a spammer in which case it's easy. I've been on quite a few boards over the years and many of them you merely have to look awry at a moderator to get the boot. In this place the mods always have a reason other than it is their will to have it so.
Indeed so. Remember, to get banned - other than sock puppetry and so forth - one has to get a series of warnings over some definite span of time. In addition, bannings are done by committee on the mod loop. By the time a problem poster is in jeopardy of banning, it will have been discussed by all of us en banc and eventually - should it get that far - voted on. Even then it takes a majority to ban someone and in my experience one mod speaking up for a poster can make the difference.
Old 05-13-2017, 03:56 PM

IME, long time posters will also generally have a notice posted in the ABTM forum, so that folks know what happened. It's newer folks and the spam/sock folks who go gently into the cornfield without notice.
Old 05-13-2017, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Chance View Post
Indeed so. Remember, to get banned - other than sock puppetry and so forth - one has to get a series of warnings over some definite span of time. In addition, bannings are done by committee on the mod loop. By the time a problem poster is in jeopardy of banning, it will have been discussed by all of us en banc and eventually - should it get that far - voted on. Even then it takes a majority to ban someone and in my experience one mod speaking up for a poster can make the difference.
Which is why I said looking at a poster's last few posts often will give a clue as to why they were banned...
Old 05-13-2017, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenus View Post
Alternately, you could call [redacted] a [redacted] [redacted] with delusions of [redacted.] That should be good for a banning.
I'd give him a tribble. That would be punishment enough.

Last edited by AtomicDog; 05-13-2017 at 05:06 PM.
Old 05-13-2017, 05:30 PM

Noodling around led me to some previous threads about this. All of which seem to have a least one BANNED poster. E.g., this one from 2000.

(And the circumstances of that poster being wished into the cornfield was uncommon: posting about certain stuff despite repeated warnings not to.)

So apparently posting in a thread like this increases the chances of being banned. Well, ... see ya.
Old 05-13-2017, 07:17 PM

Quote:
I has often struck me (but I was never seriously injured, tyvm), when reading ancient zombie threads, how many of the posters there are banned. It sometimes seems like the probability of any poster getting banned approaches 1.000 as a poster's tenure here approaches ∞ so that older threads tend to have surprisingly high proportions of the banned and the damned in them.
Technically, this is true of any situation where members can be removed and not reinstated. It's just the specific curve varies by individual user.

(I almost typed "individual loser". )
Old 05-13-2017, 07:17 PM

A. I remember that thread, as well as its participants. Miss the ones who went away.

B. Chronos has been a mod for 17 years? Dude, I'd say, "Get a life," except it looks like you and I found one.
Old 05-13-2017, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by engineer_comp_geek View Post
You can get instantly banned for trolling, socking, or threatening legal action...
I remember some dingus in BBQ (from one of two or three times I ever stopped in that brawling barroom) who went all detective on somebody and found some IRL details, and would sue, etc. etc. for being libeled here, or some such.

Do you ever get guys who grumble, in print here, about how they'll sue you, SD, or Chicago Times, or whatever?

Or is that actually the kind of case you have in mind?
Old 05-13-2017, 10:44 PM
Robot Mod in Beta Testing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo Bloom View Post
Do you ever get guys who grumble, in print here, about how they'll sue you, SD, or Chicago Times, or whatever?
Yes. We've had several cases where someone has threatened to sue, either in a post or in a private message to a mod. In all cases, we are under strict orders to ban the user and forward everything to the admins who will send it all to the legal department. After that, we're not allowed to speak about the matter. At the moderation level, we are not permitted to represent the SDMB in legal matters in any way. After all,we're not even employees here. We're volunteers.

It's one of the few things that we have no latitude with whatsoever. Threaten legal action, and we ban and forward. Period.
Old 05-14-2017, 12:05 AM
Charter Member

Actually, the rule is about threatening the board in general. Legal action is the most common such threat (as such threats go, at least: We fortunately don't get very many), but we've also had a few cases of someone threatening a virus or other cyberattack, and they get the same treatment.

And dropzone, I was a mod 17 years ago, and I am one now. Interpolation is not necessarily always justified.
Old 05-14-2017, 11:46 AM

Re lawsuit threats and bans:

Thanks. I never figured on that, and how when it does occur your words, let alone board actions, as mods potentially have a lot more at stake than the more common on of making some Doper mutter.

But for this type of thing---
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo Bloom View Post
I remember some dingus in BBQ (from one of two or three times I ever stopped in that brawling barroom) who went all detective on somebody and found some IRL details, and would sue, etc. etc. for being libeled here, or some such...
I can see this being a pain for you to adjudicate. I assume that dingus got zapped (I think I remember a running side commentary on the countdown to the swish of the blade). Just as a matter of SD cultures in different forums, has something like that ever occurred outside BBQ?

I'm trying to think of a GQ thread in which to concoct such an argument...
Old 05-14-2017, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
Interpolation is not necessarily always justified.
But SOOOOOOOOOOO much fun, sometimes!!
Old 05-14-2017, 08:52 PM

Quote:

I think it's simply because it's really easy to be abrasive online, and even long-time worthwhile posters can kill themselves with a thousand cuts. I know I've come close.

Last edited by jz78817; 05-14-2017 at 08:52 PM.
Old 05-14-2017, 09:57 PM

Biting people will get you banned ... or so I'm told ... not that I'd like to find out or nothing ... honest ...

Last edited by watchwolf49; 05-14-2017 at 09:57 PM. Reason: Eagle action ... hahahahaha ...
Old 05-15-2017, 10:27 PM

Ow... Watchie bit me. Waaaatchie, that really hurt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy L View Post
Which is why I said looking at a poster's last few posts often will give a clue as to why they were banned...
That's one of my favorite pastimes. Usually when I'm reading a current thread and the one over-the-top insulting poster suddenly gets the "BANNED" label. It's a big dose of schadenfreude to go back and see that they'd been acting up in other threads as well, and often collecting warnings.