Old 05-17-2017, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post

Tea, however, tastes the same, all brands and prices.
No no no no no no no. Also, no.

Good loose leaf tea is 100x better than Lipton or Tetley swill. I did not drink tea for years and years because I thought it was all just like Lipton. I was dead wrong.

I get my loose leaf tea at David's Tea.
Advertisements  
Old 05-17-2017, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wguy123 View Post
I tend to agree with this but they make one product so exceptional awful: Their Kirkland Light Beer that comes in a box of 500 (maybe it's only 48). I drink beer. Good beer, bad beer (PBR or Keystone Light - sure!), mostly any beer. EXCEPT for malt liquors and Kirkland Light. I saw it a couple years ago and thought "What a bargain"! Till I got it home and had my first. UGH!!! It was so awful I decided I couldn't even use it for beer-butt chicken.
I don't mind the light beer. It's no worse than Coors et al., IMHO. Thought their "fancy" Kirkland beer is merely okay, I particular think they need to improve the selection, 4 flavors most of which are similar styles.

FYI there are two Kirkland vodkas, a French one and an American one. The latter is cheaper. I forget who makes it, though I believe the rum is by Cruzan
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalej42 View Post
LG televisions. I've got no reason to consider another brand, and there's no way I'm buying an off-brand.
I have LG TV and getting my second LG phone. Samsung and Sony may be "better," but the price also reflects it.
Old 05-17-2017, 03:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas Jones View Post

The second entry in this link about vodka is amusing.

https://www.quora.com/Is-Costcos-Kir...-name-products
On the Gripping Hand, Grey Goose isnt all that good. It's not really better than Smirnoff.
Old 05-17-2017, 06:37 PM

I very much prefer Kraft's Mayonnaise. Fruity Dynobites is the best version of Fruity Pebbles, even better than the original.

Last edited by BigT; 05-17-2017 at 06:39 PM.
Old 05-17-2017, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampshire View Post
For hotdogs it has to be Hebrew National or Vienna Beef. Anything else and I'll kindly pass.
Nathan's, fucker!

(Sorry 'bout the 'fucker' thing.)

I'm surprised so many people stuck/are sticking with Heinz through the whole high fructose corn syrup thing.
Old 05-17-2017, 08:16 PM
Charter Member

If you don't want corn syrup, Heinz has a variety called "Simply Heinz" that uses sugar. Not that there's much difference.
Old 05-17-2017, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by panache45 View Post
Vernors Ginger Ale.
Ahem...Vernors ginger soda. They no longer use the 'A' word.

And after reading this thread I resolve to not take it for granted. The stuff is ubiquitous 'round these parts.

mmm
Old 05-17-2017, 09:06 PM
Charter Member

I have a pair of Lucchese cowboy boots that are as comfortable as a pair of bedroom slippers
Old 05-17-2017, 09:20 PM
Charter Member

Heinz for catsup
Philadelphia for cream cheese
Lee and Perrin for worchestershire sauce
La Croix for fizzy canned water
kikkoman for soy sauce (yes, some specialty soy brewers are superior)
Snap-on for hand tools
Contadina for tomato sauce and paste
V-8 for vegetable juice
Blue Diamond for smoked/flavored almonds
Allen Edmonds for dress shoes

Last edited by Qadgop the Mercotan; 05-17-2017 at 09:21 PM.
Old 05-17-2017, 09:45 PM

For enemas, it's CVS brand or bust.

Libbys for potted meat
Old 05-17-2017, 09:59 PM

Well, I'm not in the habit of getting enemas, but I'd rather not have anything bust inside me.

Asus or Gigabyte for motherboards. Some of the other ones are visibly cheaper, though it's not something I buy often so maybe some of the cheaper brands got better.
Old 05-17-2017, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bootis View Post
For enemas, it's CVS brand or bust.
Only on the Dope, I guess.
Old 05-17-2017, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearwildheaven View Post
Only on the Dope, I guess.
Summer's Eve!!
Old 05-18-2017, 01:38 AM

Anker phone chargers. Got myself a 5 port charger a couple of years ago. It can charge several devices quickly and not even get warm to the touch.
Old 05-18-2017, 11:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randolph View Post
Nathan's, fucker!
Nathans are quite good. But I only get them on sale.
Old 05-18-2017, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pullin View Post
Not challenging you, just curious. Is REI really that much better? Or is it mainly better for heavy/rugged users (who actually get out in the wilderness)? I'm asking mainly about hardware like stoves, lanterns, etc. I think Coleman or even the Cabelas/Gander brands are OK for the average "outdoorsman".
Not really what you're asking about OR in the spirit of the thread, and I'm only a dilettante dayhiker, but I have found REI's house brand to be a fantastic value when it comes to hiking clothing (have a couple pairs of shorts and a few shirts from them) and backpacks.

I was in the market for a real hiking backpack with pole storage and space for a hydration bladder and that sort of thing, enough pack to do anything short of actual backpacking-where-you-sleep-outside, and I was looking at Osprey, but REI's packs actually had more features for cheaper (come with their own rain covers, for example) so I ordered one to try, knowing I could count on their satisfaction guarantee, and I have been so satisfied with this pack that I'm now their best free advertising. I tell everyone how great this pack is. I'm sure part of it is that I've never had a woman-specific pack before, but I could seriously not improve this pack unless it was by having somebody else carry my stuff for me. AAA+ would buy again, and I got it for about $60 with a coupon.

In other words, in my opinion the REI Co-op stuff is cheaper than similar prestige brands and just as nice if not nicer. I like the shorts I bought from them better than any others I've found, for example.

ETA - next time they send me a coupon code I'm upgrading my trekking poles to their house brand, BTW. I think I want the $90 ones with the cork handles, but I keep considering the $140 lighter ones. Decisions, decisions.

Last edited by Zsofia; 05-18-2017 at 02:07 PM.
Old 05-18-2017, 03:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zsofia View Post
In other words, in my opinion the REI Co-op stuff is cheaper than similar prestige brands and just as nice if not nicer.
REI stuff is a good value, and some of their products are quite good, but they're not up to the workmanship and materials of a real high end pack or jacket, for example. Good enough for most anything, but not really better. Granted, most folks don't need the "better" stuff. I have an REI pack that I use frequently, but I also have several others. Now, they've made an effort in recent years to re-position their house gear as high end, but IMO that's had limited success. The two areas they've done best at are packs and tents. Most of the other stuff is good, but not really premier.

Quote:
ETA - next time they send me a coupon code I'm upgrading my trekking poles to their house brand, BTW. I think I want the $90 ones with the cork handles, but I keep considering the $140 lighter ones. Decisions, decisions.
Here's a case in point, the Black Diamond Flicklock poles are the best I've used, and I've gone through well over half a dozen pairs from various manufactures over the years. They work more reliably and stand up to abuse better than any of the others. BTW, I think Leki makes the REI branded poles.
Old 05-18-2017, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telemark View Post
REI stuff is a good value, and some of their products are quite good, but they're not up to the workmanship and materials of a real high end pack or jacket, for example. Good enough for most anything, but not really better. Granted, most folks don't need the "better" stuff. I have an REI pack that I use frequently, but I also have several others. Now, they've made an effort in recent years to re-position their house gear as high end, but IMO that's had limited success. The two areas they've done best at are packs and tents. Most of the other stuff is good, but not really premier.

Here's a case in point, the Black Diamond Flicklock poles are the best I've used, and I've gone through well over half a dozen pairs from various manufactures over the years. They work more reliably and stand up to abuse better than any of the others. BTW, I think Leki makes the REI branded poles.
Do you have the metal or plastic Flicklocks, and what kind of grip?
Old 05-18-2017, 03:48 PM
Charter Member

I was reluctant to move to Texas a few years ago, but after sampling Shiner Bock and Blue Bell ice cream, I'm glad we came.

Also, with regard to Boar's Head meat, it's all good but Sweet Slice Ham is in a class by itself. Try it and you will never get "just ham" again.
Old 05-18-2017, 04:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Do you have the metal or plastic Flicklocks, and what kind of grip?
I have a set of 3 section poles for hiking, and two 2 section poles for skiing. I just got the most basic set (no shock absorbers or cork handles) because I beat the crap out of them. Not sure what you mean by plastic; do you mean carbon fiber? I go for metal.
Old 05-18-2017, 04:45 PM

Quote:
I have a set of 3 section poles for hiking, and two 2 section poles for skiing. I just got the most basic set (no shock absorbers or cork handles) because I beat the crap out of them. Not sure what you mean by plastic; do you mean carbon fiber? I go for metal.
Evidently their lower end poles have plastic flicklocks and the more expensive ones have metal.
Old 05-18-2017, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Tea, however, tastes the same, all brands and prices.

That's the kind of thing someone says when they have no idea how to make tea.
Old 05-19-2017, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ticker View Post
Anker phone chargers. Got myself a 5 port charger a couple of years ago. It can charge several devices quickly and not even get warm to the touch.
This is what I came here to post...

...but then I saw this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickJay View Post
2. Heinz Ketchup. My wife is a little cheap and will go out of her way to save 25 cents on a grocery item but when it ocmes to ketchup she'll buy Heinz and nothing else. And she's right. Heinz is delicious. I've tried other ketchups and they all taste exactly like if Heinz ketchup was accidentally not made quite right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmkeller View Post
I'll second the Heinz Ketchup.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atamasama View Post
I'll third that unless you're talking ketchup flavored with something "extra" like sriracha or Tabasco. In that case you can either buy the cheaper generic flavored version or just buy cheap ketchup and doctor it yourself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
Another Heinz Ketchup lover, even though the company passed on my marketing idea.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZonexandScout View Post
Heinz ketchup? Yeah. Definitely. My old GF tried to fool her son by putting store-brand ketchup in a Heinz bottle to save money. It took exactly ONE French fry for him to say, "This isn't Heinz!!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turble View Post
Heinz ketchup, yep. I buy the Simply Heinz type -- has sugar instead of corn syrup, and it's worth the extra money. Before the Simply type came out I was willing the spend the bucks for Heinz Organic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AskNott View Post
Heinz and Red Gold both offer no-salt ketchup now. One of the Red Gold plants is about 20 miles from here, so I go with the locals.
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Love Me, Vol. I View Post
I wouldn't think I'm the kind of person who cares what ketchup he buys but one day after having bought off-brands for a while I had a taste of Heinz. It was that much better. So now I buy it all the time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patx2 View Post
Another vote for Heinz here!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummond Bays View Post
I'll toss my hat in for Heinz[...]Great products.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLibDem View Post
Heinz ketchup, of course.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post
If you don't want corn syrup, Heinz has a variety called "Simply Heinz" that uses sugar. Not that there's much difference.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qadgop the Mercotan View Post
Heinz for catsup
Oh, Lordy, no! I used to be a Heinz 57 acolyte as well, until I moved west and got a taste of Portland Ketchup. I never realized until then what ketchup was supposed to taste like. Then I read the ingredients:

Heinz: TOMATO CONCENTRATE FROM RED RIPE TOMATOES, DISTILLED VINEGAR, HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP, CORN SYRUP, SALT, SPICE, ONION POWDER, NATURAL FLAVORING

Portland Ketchup: Organic Tomato Puree, Organic White Vinegar, Organic Cane Sugar, Sea Salt, Organic Onion, Organic Allspice, Organic Clove

...and I knew. No corn syrup, no unspecified spice or "natural flavoring". Just real, identifiable, organic ingredients. It's what ketchup tastes like when it's fresh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budget Player Cadet View Post
Goya ginger beer. Goya does a lot of stuff really well, but there is just nothing quite like their ginger beer. I have never found a spicier one, and if I don't have to cough from sniffing a freshly-opened bottle, I want my money back.
Yes! Ginger beer that taste like ginger, not ginger flavored, carbonated sugar water. My go-to ginger beer is Bottoms Up! from The Ginger People. I'll have to try Goya; it gets great reviews!

Last edited by Brown Eyed Girl; 05-19-2017 at 12:48 AM. Reason: misspelling
Old 05-19-2017, 12:47 AM

Quote:
BTW, I think Leki makes the REI branded poles.
Actually, they're made by Komperdell.
Old 05-19-2017, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Eyed Girl View Post
Oh, Lordy, no! I used to be a Heinz 57 acolyte as well, until I moved west and got a taste of Portland Ketchup. I never realized until then what ketchup was supposed to taste like.
Heinz 57 isn't ketchup.
Old 05-19-2017, 05:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowdown View Post
Pilot G2 pens.
Vater drum sticks.
PRS guitars.
Rogue fitness stuff.
All-Clad stainless steel cookware.
Asus motherboards.
Bolding mine.

Their build quality is tops, to be sure, but I would go with a Fender Telecaster before any PRSi. The design, the first commercially popular mass-produced solidbody "Spanish" guitar (vs Hawaiian lap steels) can play any style excellently and a well set-up one is a great tool in terms of ruggedness and reliability and revealing more about your playing than most others guitars.

And if you're Keith Richards and need to take out a dude rushing the stage, then get right back to playing, the Tele is your weapon of choice .

For Acoustics, Martin's top lines are pricey as hell, but their Authentic line are the real deal and will hold their value.
Old 05-19-2017, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Portland Ketchup: Organic Tomato Puree, Organic White Vinegar, Organic Cane Sugar, Sea Salt, Organic Onion, Organic Allspice, Organic Clove
Organic?

Bleeeeech! No thanks, I'll stick with chemicals. Yummy, delicious chemicals.

Seriously . . . Organic vinegar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
Vinegar is a liquid consisting of about 520% acetic acid (CH3COOH), water, and other trace chemicals, which may include flavorings. The acetic acid is produced by the fermentation of ethanol by acetic acid bacteria.
Old 05-19-2017, 06:34 AM
BANNED

Thomas' English Muffins?
Old 05-19-2017, 07:26 AM

This is the problem with being overseas, so much of this is unavailable. However
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qadgop the Mercotan View Post
kikkoman for soy sauce (yes, some specialty soy brewers are superior)
Pffff.
Quote:
Allen Edmonds for dress shoes
Simply the best.
Old 05-19-2017, 07:32 AM

J-B Weld epoxy. That stuff really is like shapeable steel in a tube(or two tubes), much better than other epoxys iIve tried.
Old 05-19-2017, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Beats artificial allspice and cloves!
Old 05-19-2017, 10:20 AM

I'll definitely go along with all the love for Boar's Head deli products, especially the Sweet Slice ham.

Vernor's Ginger Soda puts Canada Dry or any other to shame, it's the prefect combo of sweet and biting.

My contribution is Weber brand grills. Definitely a bit pricier than Charbroil or most other brands you'll find at a retailer, but so much more worth it in terms of quality. I've had my Weber kettle for close to 10 years, and my Weber gas grill (Spirit I think) for 5, and both are still in great shape.
Old 05-19-2017, 10:36 AM
The Turtle Moves!
Charter Member

People say they prefer Heinz, but just about every major blind taste test puts Hunts in first place.

As for ginger beer, nothing matches AJ Stephans. IF you can find it, that is.

Last edited by silenus; 05-19-2017 at 10:38 AM.
Old 05-19-2017, 10:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Actually, they're made by Komperdell.
Ah, thanks for the correction. It's possible that they may have shifted manufacturers over the years.
Old 05-19-2017, 11:19 AM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenus View Post
People say they prefer Heinz, but just about every major blind taste test puts Hunts in first place.
I'd be curious to see where those taste tests are.

I did a search on "Heinz Hunt's Taste Test." The first hit was a blind taste test of ten brands, two of them Heinz (regular and organic.) Heinz finished first and second.

I clicked on another link; the winner was Heinz, (though they advised that Del Monte is really cheap and close enough to maybe save a couple of bucks.)

I clicked another and it chose one I'd never heard of - Whole Foods 365 Organic Tomato Ketchup - but selected Hunt's as WORST ketchup.
Old 05-19-2017, 11:20 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenus View Post
As for ginger beer, nothing matches AJ Stephans. IF you can find it, that is.
This is Truth.

Sadly, I cannot get it in my area. I even spoke with the good Mr. Stephans himself on the issue; we tried to find a local distributor to supply my area, but no such luck.

However, there are many other nearly as good ginger beers out there, fortunately.
Old 05-19-2017, 12:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theodore Striker View Post
I've had my Weber kettle for close to 10 years, and my Weber gas grill (Spirit I think) for 5, and both are still in great shape.
I'll second on Weber. My kettle (Performer) is six years old and perfect, and my gas Genesis is 11 years old, and I can expect at least another 11 out of it, I think.
Old 05-19-2017, 01:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Organic?

Bleeeeech! No thanks, I'll stick with chemicals. Yummy, delicious chemicals.

Well, it does have a carbon atom....
Old 05-19-2017, 03:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
This is what I came here to post...

...but then I saw this:

Oh, Lordy, no! I used to be a Heinz 57 acolyte as well, until I moved west and got a taste of Portland Ketchup. I never realized until then what ketchup was supposed to taste like. Then I read the ingredients:

Heinz: TOMATO CONCENTRATE FROM RED RIPE TOMATOES, DISTILLED VINEGAR, HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP, CORN SYRUP, SALT, SPICE, ONION POWDER, NATURAL FLAVORING

...and I knew. No corn syrup, no unspecified spice or "natural flavoring". Just real, identifiable, organic ingredients. It's what ketchup tastes like when it's fresh.

Yes! Ginger beer that taste like ginger, not ginger flavored, carbonated sugar water. My go-to ginger beer is Bottoms Up! from The Ginger People. I'll have to try Goya; it gets great reviews!
Portland ketchup is really good, but even better is its companion Portland mustard. I can eat it by the spoonful.

Danner boots.

Gibson guitars.

Taylor guitars.

Sonos wireless home entertainment products.

Kitchenaid mixers.
Old 05-20-2017, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scumpup View Post
Genuine Victorinox Swiss Army knives. Most of them come in well under a c-note. They're beautifully made, genuinely useful, and you'll lose it before you wear it out.
I am the exception that proves the rule! I wore mine out before I lost it, but boy did it take a lot to accomplish that.

I bought a Tinker in Germany in 1991 and hung it on my keychain. It wasn't too many years before the red plastic sides loosened and came off. I was quite happy with my "naked" Victorinox for a long time thereafter. Every few years I had to hose down the joints with WD-40 to get the grit out and get the blades working right again, but that is really just basic maintenance. Over the years, though, the blades got more and more "stuck" until only the main one really worked. A couple of years ago, the little eyelet that holds the ring that attached to my keychain finally gave way.

Now I have a thoroughly worn-out Victorinox Swiss army knife that sits in my drawer. I don't want it replaced. It's a wonderful souvenir of all the great times I had while carrying it.*

(I got another one for normal use long ago, of course)

* One funny memory is from one of the big NYC Dopefests back in the day. Someone was wearing a tight long-sleeved pleather shirt and was getting really hot. She asked if anyone had a knife. I offered mine, and she turned it right into a short-sleeve pleather shirt. Heh. Those fests were a trip.
Old 05-20-2017, 11:18 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TokyoBayer View Post
This is the problem with being overseas, so much of this is unavailable. However Pffff.
Hey, here in the hinterlands I'm happy to have kikkoman. Tho I bet in Asia (and even in parts of Chicago) I could get some truly divine local soy sauces.
Quote:
Simply the best.
I've worn Allen Edmonds for 4 decades now, I always have at least 3 active pairs in rotation. When my favorite goes out of style and hence production (the York boot) I search ebay to find a good nearly new pair to put into play.
Old 05-20-2017, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scribble View Post
It's been years (far too long) since I've done any serious work in the great outdoors, but if ever I go back to it--Ex Officio clothing.
Best and most comfortable boxer-briefs ever. I never imagined I would spend 30 bucks for a single pair of underwear, but they're so comfortable, and after two years the seven pairs I have still look and fit like new.
Old 05-20-2017, 12:56 PM

Grass fed beef -- a few years ago my sister's friend brought over some burgers, and it was so much better.

Count me as another Heinz fan. (Any self-respecting Yinzer that eats anything else should be tossed into the Allegheny)

Quote:
Another Heinz Ketchup lover, even though the company passed on my marketing idea.
SPOILER:
Heinz, because Hunts is for *****.

SPOILER:

People from Cleveland?
Old 05-20-2017, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayT View Post
I was reluctant to move to Texas a few years ago, but after sampling Shiner Bock and Blue Bell ice cream, I'm glad we came.

Also, with regard to Boar's Head meat, it's all good but Sweet Slice Ham is in a class by itself. Try it and you will never get "just ham" again.
Blue Bell's in its own class, but there are better Texas brews than Shiner, as iconic as they are. Typically their seasonals are their best offerings.

Of the Texas craft brewers, Karbach (Houston), Live Oak (Austin), Lakewood (Dallas), Southern Star (Conroe), St. Arnold (Houston), Franconia (McKinney) and Deep Ellum (Dallas) are some of my favorites.

And I love the Boar's Head Rosemary ham. That stuff is awesome!
Old 05-20-2017, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinastasia View Post
SPOILER:

People from Cleveland?
same, same.

(Apologies to my friends in Cleveland)
Old 05-20-2017, 04:52 PM

Goya ginger beer is awesome! However, there once was a fine ginger beer with a popular price: Faygo Brau. Someone needs to market a good hot ginger beer at a regular soda price again!
Old 05-20-2017, 06:28 PM

Whinks Rust Stain Remover
First thing I found that really removes rust stains from the tub and toilets.
Old 05-21-2017, 01:12 AM
Senior Geek
Charter Member

Cock and Bull's diet ginger beer is very good, and my local King Soopers carries it.
We always get Asus motherboards.
Quaker oatmeal is better than the store brand.
Hebrew national hotdogs.
Hormel Black Label cherrywood bacon.
Old 05-21-2017, 07:37 AM

Seriously Sharp Cabot cheese then some Laphroaig Scotch
On a winter night does not get much better than that.
Old 05-21-2017, 08:39 AM
Charter Member

I wear New Balance model 411. I also like 417, but I couldn't find it last time I went to get shoes.