Old 05-26-2017, 12:38 PM

Definitely DAS Boot!
Old 05-26-2017, 01:05 PM
Charter Member

My favorite film is Casablanca. Not sure what being an engineer has to do with it.
Old 05-26-2017, 01:32 PM

"Dam Busters" 1955
"The China Syndrome" 1979
Old 05-27-2017, 04:43 AM

On a lighter note, Madagascar with the plane crashes and rebuilding. Also, Chicken Run; the plane and the mechanical processing plant.
Old 05-27-2017, 06:20 AM

"Whistle down the wind".

I don't know about other engineers, but this engineer likes unresolved problems. I'm not terrribly interested in resolved problems. Also, I'm a bit truthfull and literal ((Like Dilbert): I'm caught by misundertandings, but I'm appalled at dissimilation, which reduces my enhoyment of many childrens films and chick flicks.
Old 05-27-2017, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melbourne View Post
"Whistle down the wind".
Wow! I saw this when it first came out (I must have been in fourth or fifth grade), and thought I was the only person on the planet who remembers it!

My older brother had a "thing" for Hayley Mills (and, truth be told, so did I ).
Old 05-29-2017, 02:41 AM

The Edge - another survival tale

The Imitation Game
Old 05-29-2017, 09:40 AM

I'm an engineer by innate determination and psychological bent, though I never got an official degree. I've spent my entire life focused on solving problems by applying my logical mind to adjusting the mechanics of everything I can control, and that's the essence of engineering.

I also very much love No Highway In The Sky as well, however I don't think it's an "engineer as hero" picture. James Stewart's character is decidedly NOT an engineer, he is more a theoretical physicist, specializing in properties of metal under stress. In fact if anything, his LACK of engineering skill is part of what drives the film, since it takes him the entire movie to realize that temperature plays a mechanical part in how stress affects metal.

Lots of post world war two science fiction films were essentially "engineering to the rescue" films. Too many to list. How realistic each one may have been isn't the point, as far as I'm concerned, what I enjoy is when a story respects and recognizes that thinking logically is usually the wisest choice, especially when heroic bluster and emotional acting out isn't praised at all.

I like The Martian in many ways, because in addition to having a strong respect for mechanical engineering, I have an equally strong respect for political, cultural and emotional engineering. People who engineer emotions (as in recognizing the part they play in events, and dispassionately including them in their mechanical calculations) have to be every bit as brilliant and insightful and experienced as mechanical engineers need to be. And in The Martian, mechanical and political and emotional "engineering" were all recognized and handled equally well. Lots of producers in the past, have fallen back on mindless bombast or emotional outbursts to explain pivotal choices made by the characters, and in the Martian, that wasn't the case. There was plenty of emotion to be sure, but every choice made was still reasoned out.

Last edited by igor frankensteen; 05-29-2017 at 09:41 AM.
Old 05-30-2017, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crane View Post
Love African Queen - great steam engine, but if they had oxy acetylene tanks for torpedoes, why did the repair the propeller on an open forge?
The cylinders were oxygen and hydrogen (in the book), and having the cylinders without the torch rig wouldn't do much good.
Old 05-31-2017, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagnasty View Post
I love The Martian in both the book and movie form but the premise pisses me off as well. There are storms on Mars but the air pressure is hardly anything in Earth terms. You can't have the equivalent of a hurricane that kills someone like it is Hurricane Katrina roaring through To be fair, even the author admits that but I doubt he expected anyone to pay that much attention to it when he wrote it. The improvised space suit thruster is dumb too.

However, I forgive it because most of the rest of the book (and movie) is fairly diligent about details. It just needs a little touch-up work. I hate most soft science fiction so much that I am willing to give the benefit of the doubt to something that at least tries to create something more realistic. There is a lot of room for improvement but at least it is a first step. Hopefully, the success of The Martian will convince Hollywood to create more realistic movies in general and knowledgeable people to write the scripts for them.
I think it's the sudden change in character of the mission Commander that hacked me off the worst. They had done so VERY well with her, then some pissant in Hollywood decides we need an 'emotional moment' from an 'empowered woman' and so they shit all over her character AND the power and dignity she'd brought to the role. A truly empowered woman would've stuck to her duty - and allowed her crew to do theirs. If they needed a 'drama' moment, they could have done something like cut to tears in her eyes as her crew reels the castaway in. Or about a hundred other posssiblities.

I don't know bio for shit, so all of that was kinda low-impact on me, though yes, the problem-solving, and the sheer number of potentially lethal problems and small failures were really excellent - then they kept adding in the terrestrial-level wind to be the bad guy, when there were so many other ways to add drama.

I think (aside from the lobotomy they gave the commander), it's the fact that they got so much right that tells me they could've gotten it all right. So why didn't they?
Old 05-31-2017, 06:51 PM

Airframe
The Bridge on the River Kwai
Bridge to Terabithia
Source Code
Torque
Failure to Launch

I'll be here all the week
Old 05-31-2017, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranquilis View Post
I think it's the sudden change in character of the mission Commander that hacked me off the worst. They had done so VERY well with her, then some pissant in Hollywood decides we need an 'emotional moment' from an 'empowered woman' and so they shit all over her character AND the power and dignity she'd brought to the role. A truly empowered woman would've stuck to her duty - and allowed her crew to do theirs. If they needed a 'drama' moment, they could have done something like cut to tears in her eyes as her crew reels the castaway in. Or about a hundred other posssiblities.
Indeed...though, personally, I never really got a good sense of "command presence" from Chastain's Lewis to begin with. It's a type of role other actresses have pulled off just fine, over the years, just not her.

Well, I might also be biased, in that Jessica Chastain just, personally, gives me the creeps. Like a CGI character flailing in the Uncanny Valley, or Ray Liotta.
Old 06-01-2017, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranchoth View Post
Indeed...though, personally, I never really got a good sense of "command presence" from Chastain's Lewis to begin with. It's a type of role other actresses have pulled off just fine, over the years, just not her.
Oh, sure, she's no Janeway, but then real commanding officers I've known aren't, either. No Kirks, no Rikers, nor Janeways, etc. either. Even the 'Picards' are damned few and far between.

What she did was take a look at the options, take a look at her responsibilities, including to her living crew, make a decision, and then enable her crew to carry it out. Then, she kept her crew mentally healthy and focused during a long and very arduous mission; made sure the ship was maintained, rations were managed, and a thousand other small tasks that must be handled. I'd happily serve under or with her (movie) commander any time. Until they gave her the lobotomy.

Quote:
Well, I might also be biased, in that Jessica Chastain just, personally, gives me the creeps. Like a CGI character flailing in the Uncanny Valley, or Ray Liotta.
There, we differ.
Old 06-02-2017, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Oh, sure, she's no Janeway, but then real commanding officers I've known aren't, either. No Kirks, no Rikers, nor Janeways, etc. either. Even the 'Picards' are damned few and far between.
For my part, I will, completely cheerfully, note that she's also no Jonathan Archer. That was not an insult—in fact, at least one reviewer I can think of has made a compelling case that Archer would have benefited from a lobotomy.

Be that as it may, effective administrator or not, it also doesn't make for particularly compelling cinema. Especially if the CO in question decides to strap on her Barbarella boots and start playing space cowboy.
Old 06-02-2017, 08:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealityChuck View Post
The Great Train Robbery
Silver Streak
The General
And a new version of Murder on the Orient Express.
Old 06-02-2017, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranchoth View Post
For my part, I will, completely cheerfully, note that she's also no Jonathan Archer. That was not an insult—in fact, at least one reviewer I can think of has made a compelling case that Archer would have benefited from a lobotomy.

Be that as it may, effective administrator or not, it also doesn't make for particularly compelling cinema. Especially if the CO in question decides to strap on her Barbarella boots and start playing space cowboy.
No, not compelling - unless you're appreciative of well-crafted (as opposed to 'dramatic') cinema. And frankly, that's where I thought they were going with her character - I was looking at her and thinking "damn, they got THAT one right!" and then they went all Space-Ranger with her and ruined it. I'm not sure which jerked me out of the movie harder - that, or the glove-thruster.
Old 06-02-2017, 05:01 PM

Quote:
No, not compelling - unless you're appreciative of well-crafted (as opposed to 'dramatic') cinema.
Oh, I'm plenty appreciative of dry, well-crafted cinema, friend. It's probably just that I'm not used to a character that dry moving around without her bandages or Tana Leaf fluid.